I told you so

Camelback80

42 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Ouch.

So what's the story on Brock? Was he a reach, a legacy offer, a "project player," etc.?

I see he's a local product who redshirted last year (shame on me for not knowing that). Vaguely remember his dad playing line on those McWilliams-coached teams.

I believe he was a package deal for Baker.

I have no clue why we offered him. He was a good HS player but he never projected to be an impact player at a major D-1 level. I don't follow recruiting so I googled him just now and he was rated as the #212 player in the country his senior year. At Texas, all i could ever see him potentially providing would be some rebounds and (hopefully) a three pointer or two in limited minutes off the end of the bench. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I believe he was a package deal for Baker.

Nope. He got the offer on his own merit, he made quite a splash in AAU summer games and had offers from OU, Gonzaga, and a few others.

I've maintained from the jump that Brock's one of those players who makes an impact 3 years into his tenure, and I still think that's the case. He's got a very good basketball IQ, he has a nose for rebounds, and his shooting is better than he's displayed thus far. I think he'll be a valuable role player next year or the year after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I have no clue why we offered him. He was a good HS player but he never projected to be an impact player at a major D-1 level. I don't follow recruiting so I googled him just now and he was rated as the #212 player in the country his senior year. At Texas, all i could ever see him potentially providing would be some rebounds and (hopefully) a three pointer or two in limited minutes off the end of the bench. 

Him starting Game 1 had to have been a recruiting promise or something.  He hasn't shown any reason he should even be on the court, much less starting. 

Yeah but that's the thing; even if Shaka does end up turning this around none of us who have criticized him were ever wrong. He simply was able to survive long enough to either improve and/or surround himself with competent assistants. If Mike Perrin Hadn't given him an extension after one season then he already would have been long gone from Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Hey Cameltoe.  No post about how we looked good and pulled out a close one at home against a great team?  It's McNeese State damnit.  They're strong.  We need a post from you.

What do you want me to say about a cupcake home game in November? Why did Duke lose to Stephen F Austin? Is it because Coach K sucks? If you wanna sit here and bitch about not winning by enough points then fine, but you show your lack of class by bitching after a W.

McNeese State Cowboys came to play. They hit 50% from 3 range. On the bright side, we got some more close-game experience, Matt had 10 assists and 0 turnovers, and we have an actual roster full of good players, competent guards, and shooters. You think it's time to go troll on this basketball team? You're wrong though if so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Acting like OP was wrong after 1 loss is as ridiculous as OP

Is this a joke? We just squeaked day McNeese State by 2 at home. They’re a middle of the road Southland conference team. It doesn’t only have to be losses that show we suck.
Hell, this last game was a worse performance than the Georgetown loss by a good bit.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is this a joke? We just squeaked day McNeese State by 2 at home. They’re a middle of the road Southland conference team. It doesn’t only have to be losses that show we suck.
Hell, this last game was a worse performance than the Georgetown loss by a good bit.

Is this a joke? It doesn’t matter it counts as a win. I would rather win at home by 2 against McNeese state than lose at home by 3 to Evansville, or lose at home by 2 to Steven F Austin. 

My opinion is that from past experience Shaka should’ve been fired already but that’s not the case, he is our coach this year and i’ll judge this year‘s season at the end, like an intelligent person. 

10 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I would rather win at home by 2 against McNeese state than lose at home by 3 to Evansville, or lose at home by 2 to Steven F Austin. 

My opinion is that from past experience Shaka should’ve been fired already but that’s not the case, he is our coach this year and i’ll judge this year‘s season at the end, like an intelligent person. 

If you can't discern the difference in quality between McNeese State and SFA, then maybe refrain from lecturing others on intelligence because this is a pretty stupid take.

23 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Is this a joke? It doesn’t matter it counts as a win. I would rather win at home by 2 against McNeese state than lose at home by 3 to Evansville, or lose at home by 2 to Steven F Austin. 

No shit it’s better to win than lose, but beating McNeese State by 2 at home can, and should, still negatively impact this team’s outlook, which has been dropping hard ever since Camel told us so after 3 wins against mediocre to terrible teams.

We have years and years of Shaka’s coaching to know this isn’t some early season aberration. This is the same old shit we’ve seen under Shaka for years and this team is less talented than other iterations he’s had. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you can't discern the difference in quality between McNeese State and SFA, then maybe refrain from lecturing others on intelligence because this is a pretty stupid take.

Left out the Evansville part. Cool.

Fact is, Texas isn’t and likely never will be on the level of Duke and Kentucky. Kentucky should be way better than Evansville, Duke should be way better than SFA and Texas still should be way better than McNeese.  Upsets happen, little schools bring smoke the big schools aren’t ready for and end up taking an L.  I’m not on OP’s train that some major turnaround has happened, that’s ridiculously premature, but McNeese shot 50% from three I think. We lose that game last year and the other years. 

This really is a pointless argument. It’s just a matter of how you fan vs how I fan.  Being a miserable pessimist and giving up early on a season where we are 6-1 will never be how I fan. I’ll wait until we’re getting owned at the bottom of the conference standings thank you very much 

3 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

A home loss to Evansville is definitely no bueno, but I left it out because it's apples to oranges.

Whatever you think of Calipari as a person or coach, he's earned some latitude because he consistently produces results, be they conference regular season championships, conference tournament championships, NCAA tournament invites, or NCAA tournament wins.

Shaka has accomplished none of those things consistently (or at all) at Texas, and after four-and-a-half seasons, he no longer deserves the benefit of doubt from anyone.

Yes, the Cowboys shot more than 50 percent from BTA, but they were already over 40 percent on the season, so it's not like they played fantastically over their heads. And despite their accuracy, they still exercised judgment--and restraint--on when to shoot from outside versus when to work the ball into the paint, a couple of things Shaka's teams have never done.

As for "giving up on the season," that is your inference, and it is incorrect. I've given up on Shaka, not on the players or the program. And if you can't discern the difference between that ... well, please refer to my advice in post #138.

53 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

i didn't even know that anyone like you still existed. aside from cameltoe. zero surprise that you deem yourself an intelligent person. 

11 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

A home loss to Evansville is definitely no bueno, but I left it out because it's apples to oranges.

Whatever you think of Calipari as a person or coach, he's earned some latitude because he consistently produces results, be they conference regular season championships, conference tournament championships, NCAA tournament invites, or NCAA tournament wins.

Shaka has accomplished none of those things consistently (or at all) at Texas, and after four-and-a-half seasons, he no longer deserves the benefit of doubt from anyone.

Yes, the Cowboys shot more than 50 percent from BTA, but they were already over 40 percent on the season, so it's not like they played fantastically over their heads. And despite their accuracy, they still exercised judgment--and restraint--on when to shoot from outside versus when to work the ball into the paint, a couple of things Shaka's teams have never done.

As for "giving up on the season," that is your inference, and it is incorrect. I've given up on Shaka, not on the players or the program. And if you can't discern the difference between that ... well, please refer to my advice in post #138.

I’m not finding much substance in this post nor can I tell even what you’re arguing. I’ve said that I don’t think shaka deserves to be our coach anymore based on his past here, he’s been a complete failure outside of that little NIT run.   I never said he deserves the benefit of the doubt either so obviously we’re not arguing about his   legitimacy as our coach this year. 

Is this boiling down to your last sentence about whether this season can be judged at this time?  If so, you’ll never change my mind on that, at 6-1, seven games into a long season before conference play has even started, the season cannot be judged.  I just find that weird, and miserably pessimistic. But you do you 

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i didn't even know that anyone like you still existed. aside from cameltoe. zero surprise that you deem yourself an intelligent person. 

You’re some freak that is hooked on the aroma of Rick Barnes’ dingleberries so I don’t really give a shit what you think 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Fact is, Texas isn’t and likely never will be on the level of Duke and Kentucky. Kentucky should be way better than Evansville, Duke should be way better than SFA and Texas still should be way better than McNeese.  Upsets happen, little schools bring smoke the big schools aren’t ready for and end up taking an L.  I’m not on OP’s train that some major turnaround has happened, that’s ridiculously premature, but McNeese shot 50% from three I think. We lose that game last year and the other years. 

This really is a pointless argument. It’s just a matter of how you fan vs how I fan.  Being a miserable pessimist and giving up early on a season where we are 6-1 will never be how I fan. I’ll wait until we’re getting owned at the bottom of the conference standings thank you very much 

jesus you are one clueless, sanctimonious prick. "all of the good fans like me wait until the end of year 5 before judging anything." gtfooh with that crap. you literally just said, and i quote, "acting like cameltoe is wrong is just as ridiculous as his OP." that's fucking lunacy. did i miss Texas winning some sort of major championship since the OP was puked onto this board? no? ok then Cameltoe *is* wrong, and you continuing to crow about how intelligent you are while trying to defend that assertion is what's as ridiculous as the OP.

6 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I’m not finding much substance in this post nor can I tell even what you’re arguing. I’ve said that I don’t think shaka deserves to be our coach anymore based on his past here, he’s been a complete failure outside of that little NIT run.   I never said he deserves the benefit of the doubt either so obviously we’re not arguing about his   legitimacy as our coach this year. 

Is this boiling down to your last sentence about whether this season can be judged at this time?  If so, you’ll never change my mind on that, at 6-1, seven games into a long season before conference play has even started, the season cannot be judged.  I just find that weird, and miserably pessimistic. But you do you 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

jesus you are one clueless, sanctimonious prick. "all of the good fans like me wait until the end of year 5 before judging anything." gtfooh with that crap. you literally just said, and i quote, "acting like cameltoe is wrong is just as ridiculous as his OP." that's fucking lunacy. did i miss Texas winning some sort of major championship since the OP was puked onto this board? no? ok then Cameltoe *is* wrong, and you continuing to crow about how intelligent you are while trying to defend that assertion is what's as ridiculous as the OP.

See post 144 you creepy little spaz

11 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

you have done nothing but move the goal posts further and further away since your initial retarded post in this thread. none of the self righteous bullshit you keep spewing has anything to do with what you originally said, which is what the rest of us are replying to. try and keep up with your own idiotic arguments a little better, jesus. 

cameltoe's OP is all about how he was right that Shaka would be a great coach at Texas who would turn the program around. then you come running in here claiming that anyone who says that he's wrong is "just as ridiculous as the OP." so how did we get from there, to you droning on interminably about waiting to judge a season until it's over? Has Shaka Smart turned this program around? Has he been a great coach at Texas? No? Then Camel and his OP are in fact wrong, you moron.

You come in here insulting everyone else while literally talking about how intelligent you are/what a great fan you are, yet you can't even keep up with or defend your original take in the first place. i have no idea why you've chosen now to suddenly grace this board with your moronic presence, but you should definitely disappear again. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

lmao. ah geez man, i am sorry that self awareness is so clearly lost on you, but there's only one person in here right now behaving like a someone who is miserable, and it ain't any of us who dared to say that OP was wrong. 

Nah this thread is packed with premature ejaculators. You need to find some balance in your lives.  I’m not moving any goal posts nor should my position be hard to understand.  It’s like you can’t comprehend it, or don’t want to, because it’s not pessimistic and does not line up perfectly with your views.  

Here’s where I stand.  It’s simple. Try responding to it without forcing positions on me that I’m not taking and making up lies that I’m not saying. 

-OP obviously jizzed prematurely.  Saying “I told you so” after what was it, two games into a season, is laughably dumb. Just ridiculous. Verdict? Ridicule: Warranted

-Anybody saying the entire season, at 6-1, or earlier, as it were, can be judged, is jizzing prematurely. Verdict? Ridicule: Warranted

-Having no faith in Shaka based off of the past: Fair

-  letting your lack of faith in the coach blind you into believing that if our players hit some more of those wide-open shots that things can’t change for the better: Not Fair

As a college basketball fan you’re only cheating yourselves.  But as I said before, you do you. Getting furious that somebody doesn’t think like you do reeks of mental illness. 

Edited by GotThatFire