I told you so

Camelback80

8 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Nah this thread is packed with premature ejaculators. You need to find some balance in your lives.  I’m not moving any goal posts nor should my position be hard to understand.  It’s like you can’t comprehend it, or don’t want to, because it’s not pessimistic and does not line up perfectly with your views.  

Here’s where I stand.  It’s simple. Try responding to it without forcing positions on me that I’m not taking and making up lies that I’m not saying. 

-OP obviously jizzed prematurely.  Saying “I told you so” after what was it, two games into a season, is laughably dumb. Just ridiculous. Verdict? Ridicule: Warranted

-Anybody saying the entire season, at 6-1, or earlier, as it were, can be judged, is jizzing prematurely. Verdict? Ridicule: Warranted

-Having no faith in Shaka based off of the past: Fair

-  letting your lack of faith in the coach blind you into believing that if our players hit some more of those wide-open shots that things can’t change for the better: Not Fair

As a college basketball fan you’re only cheating yourselves.  But as I said before, you do you. Getting furious that somebody doesn’t think like you do reeks of mental illness. 

I don't really disagree with any of this except to say this about "being blinded."  We've watched Shaka's teams deteriorate over the time he has been our coach.  Our shooting percentages are terrible from the FT line, 2 pt shots and 3 pt shots.  Our stats are beyond awful.  There was a snapshot on the fire Shaka thread that really can't be explained other than very bad coaching.  If this were year one or two in Shaka's tenure, I would maybe agree that "I'm blinded into believing . . . ."  I'm not mentally ill.  I'm fucking sick of Shaka being a shitty coach and his teams year after year playing like dog shit.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:02 AM, smwhorn said:

I don't really disagree with any of this except to say this about "being blinded."  We've watched Shaka's teams deteriorate over the time he has been our coach.  Our shooting percentages are terrible from the FT line, 2 pt shots and 3 pt shots.  Our stats are beyond awful.  There was a snapshot on the fire Shaka thread that really can't be explained other than very bad coaching.  If this were year one or two in Shaka's tenure, I would maybe agree that "I'm blinded into believing . . . ."  I'm not mentally ill.  I'm fucking sick of Shaka being a shitty coach and his teams year after year playing like dog shit.

Actually they're fairly decent from the FT line and from 2.  We just don't shoot enough of them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Lulz.  What a fucking moron.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 1:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This team will not make the NCAA tournament. They'll be lucky to win 7 or 8 conference games which won't be adequate enough to make the big dance. NIT bound once again, the Shaka shit show continues you miserable fucking troll.

so is Shaka still on the Mike Krzyzewski arc? you know the one that was used to defend him routinely over the last two years, it went something like "dumb Duke fans wanted Coach K run off after he had a losing record in his third season, and three years later they were 37-2 and NCAA runners-up, you dumb fans don't know what you're talking about wanting Shaka replaced!"

he looks like he's a year behind at this point. :(  Coach K was .500/3rd in ACC play, 24-10 overall, and made the NCAA Tournament in Year 4. That slightly better than our losing conference record, 6th in the conference, and ending up in the NIT (and winning it!) in Year 4. 

This year he needs a winning record in conference and to win an NCAA game in order to keep pace with what Coach K did (23-8, 4th in the ACC, split two NCAA games-- also, were ranked in the Top Ten all season long). 

Then next year he needs to win about as many games in one year as he's won in any two years at Texas, he needs to reach the NCAA title game (and lose competitively), and he needs to win the Big 12. He probably better bring back practically every single player off his fifth team to make that happen since that '86 Duke team was loaded with veteran talent and then added Danny Ferry and Quin Snyder.

so how we feelin', are we all still stupid for wanting Future Coach K fired when he's clearly on the precipice of matching the career ascendancy of literally one of the five best coaches of all time?

cause I don't really feel like that

Edited by SwanderedTalent

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Based on the timeline, he made this post in 2017 after we beat Lipscomb and before we had even played a major conference opponent.

Lol.  Has Camel just been a brilliant troll this whole time?   He can’t really be for real.

i'd be lying if i said i didn't have the same thought when i stumbled upon that. 

2 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Dear Cameltoe/Camelback74/Camelback80 (assuming you are not a troll and assuming you REALLY meant what you said in your OP):

Do you still think Shaka Smart should be coaching our basketball team?  

Yep. Now isn't the time to judge this team or this coach. In April, we can talk about should Shaka be coaching this team. Until then, if you really consider yourself a fan, the team could use your support in a season that is still very much in play.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 10

42 minutes ago, Camelback80 said:

Yep. Now isn't the time to judge this team or this coach. In April, we can talk about should Shaka be coaching this team. Until then, if you really consider yourself a fan, the team could use your support in a season that is still very much in play.

Your original post judging the team and coach is from mid November.  How can mid November not be too early but January be too early?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camelback80 said:

how would you grade Shaka's overall performance at Texas to this point? 

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Are your other 8 posts on Surly anywhere near this stupid?

3 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

The team could really use our support? No, this team could really a competent coach worth a damn. You know, something that will make a difference. Fan support doesn't mean jack shit.

But anyways, this has to be some troll job anyways. No one could still be this in favor of Shaka still.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The team could really use our support? No, this team could really a competent coach worth a damn. You know, something that will make a difference. Fan support doesn't mean jack shit.

But anyways, this has to be some troll job anyways. No one could still be this in favor of Shaka still.

There are some that supported Charlie Strong until the very end, but this is a blatant troll job.

chappelle show lol GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How was Texas a rebuild after Barnes was fired??  What??  NOW it's a rebuild.  It's like a thermonuclear device was detonated over the FEC.  It's going to be an empty place for some time and will continue at the Moody Center.  Oh, we will get a small bump when it opens but reality always wins.  Most of the current players will leave if we hire a coach that holds the players accountable.  It will take some time.  Texas basketball is a disaster.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

How was Texas a rebuild after Barnes was fired??  What??  NOW it's a rebuild.  

exactly. we averaged 22 wins per season over Barnes' last five years and only failed to win 20+ once during that time. there was no rebuild to be done, the program simply needed some rejuvenation in the way of a new coaching staff. then we went and made just about as bad a hire as we possibly could have, and now we are worse than we were under Tom Penders, only without any of the fun. 

a point i've made a few times over the years that bears repeating: anyone who really started following the program around the TJ years (so basically 95% of UT hoops fans who are currently 40 or younger) only knew of a UT hoops program that was a top 10 program nationally, replete with All Americans, endless lottery picks, national award winners, multiple NPOY winners, 25+ win seasons, and regular trips to the Sweet 16. they thought that was the norm, not knowing that prior to Barnes' arrival that schools like Kansas State actually had more basketball pedigree and tradition than Texas. a lot of these people are just starting to realize how amazingly awesome we had it for a decade+. 

• Like 2