I told you so

Camelback80

2 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

It's worse than that, because it didn't just happen to us. We paid serious money to have that thermonuclear device dropped on us. 

Good times.

It's actually worse than that.  We're gonna have to pay MORE serious money to him, whether he's here or not.  Preferably not.

3 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Remember that famous line about nuclear war?

"The living would envy the dead."

That's kind of how I feel when watching Shaka's teams in those all too frequent moments where they're misfiring on all cylinders.  Its so fucked up yet never even remotely interesting.

I quit watching.  I have better things to do.  One day I will wake up to find SS gone, hopefully.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, 2300 Nueces said:

Texas basketball is a disaster.

In modern college basketball, no it most certainly isn't. There is nothing structurally wrong with the program that can't be fixed by changing coaches and recruiting better just within the state.

I happen to think Texas athletics is a disaster because it's rotten culturally, but that's a separate issue that will probably never change. 

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

In modern college basketball, no it most certainly isn't. There is nothing structurally wrong with the program that can't be fixed by changing coaches and recruiting better just within the state.

I happen to think Texas athletics is a disaster because it's rotten culturally, but that's a separate issue that will probably never change. 

I think you are on to something and would ask you to expand on the culture issue but it may not wear well on Surly.

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

would ask you to expand on the culture issue but it may not wear well on Surly.

I don't mean what you hope I mean

Our culture is one of nebulous "excellence", the accepted evidence of which is money and self-satisfaction. If we have those two things, and we have them in fucking spades, then the University of Texas' athletics are excellent. We only accept excellence and we only accept our own internal definition of it. Like winning ten football games (including the Sugar Bowl!) or 20-25 basketball games and finishing a respectable second in the conference (we'll get those wily Sooners/Jayhawks one of these days!). You HAVE to meet that threshold or man, you'll get a serious talking to. If it keeps happening, you'll be on warning, mister. 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 11:09 PM, mulletpelini said:

Just keep Marshall off your coaching list this time kthxbai

His drunk ass wife and Austin would be an amazing combination.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/lets-fck-some-sht-up-wife-of-wichita-state-coach-asked-to-leave-her-seat-for-belligerent-behavior/

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't mean what you hope I mean

Our culture is one of nebulous "excellence", the accepted evidence of which is money and self-satisfaction. If we have those two things, and we have them in fucking spades, then the University of Texas' athletics are excellent. We only accept excellence and we only accept our own internal definition of it. Like winning ten football games (including the Sugar Bowl!) or 20-25 basketball games and finishing a respectable second in the conference (we'll get those wily Sooners/Jayhawks one of these days!). You HAVE to meet that threshold or man, you'll get a serious talking to. If it keeps happening, you'll be on warning, mister. 

Charlie lost to Kansas or he would have gotten another year.   We keep thinking it is 30 years ago,where it takes time for a coach to figure it out. You don't wait anymore. If the coach hasn't figured it out by year 3 95% chance it aint going to happen.

Sure a school/program that has never been top 10 in a sport might need to wait.  We have no reason to wait.  It is truly throwing good money after bad.

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Charlie lost to Kansas or he would have gotten another year.   We keep thinking it is 30 years ago,where it takes time for a coach to figure it out. You don't wait anymore. If the coach hasn't figured it out by year 3 95% chance it aint going to happen.

Sure a school/program that has never been top 10 in a sport might need to wait.  We have no reason to wait.  It is truly throwing good money after bad.

Man, we are so far past that point. It's year 5 and our product looks like finger paint from a bunch of blind-folded kindergarden kids who were force fed Quaaludes.

God almighty. How does a program survive being like this?    

7 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Man, we are so far past that point. It's year 5 and our product looks like finger paint from a bunch of blind-folded kindergarden kids who were force fed Quaaludes.

God almighty. How does a program survive being like this?    

It's so unbelievably sad to watch.  Our athletic department is a complete disaster. 

11 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Dinner time isn't until April, bitch.

Does 18-13 (8-10) then maybe 1-1 in the B12 tourney get Texas into the NCAA? And from there we make the sweet 16? 6-6 from here in the B12 is as optimistic as I can get if I bash my head on the keyboard and squint real hard at the schedule. That requires sweeps over ISU and TCU which pomeroy has ranked ahead of us. 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Right on

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 10:33 AM, smwhorn said:

Dear Cameltoe/Camelback74/Camelback80 (assuming you are not a troll and assuming you REALLY meant what you said in your OP):

Do you still think Shaka Smart should be coaching our basketball team?  

re-asking this same question to Cameltoe/Camelback . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, smwhorn said:

re-asking this same question to Cameltoe/Camelback . . . .

Dear Cameltoe/Camelback74/Camelback80 (assuming you are not a troll and assuming you REALLY meant what you said in your OP):

Do you still think Shaka Smart should be coaching our basketball team?

Yep.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Oy this did not age well :(

59 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

greggym, cameltoe, texasstrong12: three guys who talked a lot of shit to a lot of people for a lot of years, who all happen to disappear when times get tough. i'd prefer it if none of them Stan the next HC. 

I am here. No ome talks more crap than you do. No one takes more cheap shots at the players than you do. Maybe its that you're jealous because every scholarship kid the first day of their freshman year have already accomplished 2 things that you could never accomplish...be a student at UT and be a scholarship athlete. You never have and you will never have anything to do with the UT athletic dept. No one knows less but thinks he knows more than you do. Stick to telling the board who the next hot 16 year old is.

And if CDC thinks that its time to make a change, I will meet our new coach at the next basketball reunion and you won't be there because you haven't earned the right to be there.. And the only one that I talk crap to is you because you deserve it. I may disagree with other posters but I try to be decent towards them. It doesn't always work but you are in a class by yourself and that's not a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

greggym you disappeared when pressed about your thoughts on Shaka's coaching because you don't have anything substantive to say. still waiting on you to answer those questions btw. you're also delusional if you think you don't talk shit to literally everyone who questions you and/or Shaka. and i'm sure that our next HC will be just thrilled to meet you as you offer to gargle his balls on site. 

also, a whole bunch of people here take cheap shots at the players, and i'm generally not one of them, so unless you've got some receipts i'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that claim. 

Edited by Goo Punch

why do you always want to nuke the thread instead of just taking action against whoever is "breaking the rules"? why not just punish the guilty parties appropriately and leave the thread for those who want to use it for its intended purpose?

did i call out greggym when it was unnecessary to do so? yes i did, that's my bad. but i gotta say i'm a little surprised to see you suddenly stepping in here ready to nuke shit from orbit after a two post exchange, when posters like immortal and herpa have been doing much, much worse (totally tangential call outs with 10x more vitriol and personal attacks, never even mentioning the thread subject) and nothing was said to them despite repeated post reports by multiple posters here (i know for a fact that at least three of us reported the posts and there was no mod response). so i hear what you're saying, and i'm down to abide, it just would have been a lot cooler if you hadn't waited until the season was virtually over to start enforcing these types of rules. 

Edited by Goo Punch