Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

I’m sure the answer is “of course fucking not” but I am flying back hone in August (please turn on the outside a/c for me kthnx) and have a meeting in Richardson at 2 on a Wednesday. 
Is there anything worth a shit between DFW and Richardson by chance that’s easy in/out re:parking?
Usually I just hightail it to my beloved Bodacious in Longview but I gotta be in Richardson and f me.

I’d try Blu’s. You’ve got a Lockhart Smokehouse not far up 75 from Richardson in Plano. Also could hit One90 Meats, which is just out Northwest Highway.
  • Like 1

Anyone else tried Bartley's in Grapevine?  A friend found it on an old TM top 50 list and we got a couple pounds to go on a road trip.  It may have been a good day or just the circumstances, but it was pretty good.  A step below Cattleack, but better than Rudys, and I really like Rudy's for what it is.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anyone else tried Bartley's in Grapevine?  A friend found it on an old TM top 50 list and we got a couple pounds to go on a road trip.  It may have been a good day or just the circumstances, but it was pretty good.  A step below Cattleack, but better than Rudys, and I really like Rudy's for what it is.

I went there 5-10 years ago because it made the list.  It was fine, but I haven’t felt need to return.

• Like 1

Keep your eyes open for Goldee’s BBQ coming soon it sounds. They’re doing pop-ups once a month until they open a restaurant. Apparently did a pop-up in Grand Prairie. Sounds like the restaurant is opening in Fort Worth. They’re getting a lot of great new places over there — Panther City and Flores to name a couple.

• Like 1

As you guys might have surmised from the steak III Forks thread, i'm in dallas this week and had my first Cattleack experience. It was fantastic and greasy. Got the Texas Trinity Plate (1 pork rib, i slab of brisket and 1 texas spicy sausage) and added a hatch chili and cheese sausage which was just okay, and the cheesy grits which were amazing and the burnt end beans which were great!

The line wasn't horrible because I got there right at 11a, but it was horrible when I left. I don't see how/why people would put up with a line like that.

Edited by Rougarou

More goings-on over in crazy Fort Worth.

https://www.fwweekly.com/2019/08/07/a-new-day-for-daynes/?fbclid=IwAR2ePrC6vmKLVD9Vf7JIryPkkqsgeqFJnCfGQpWGDCvpPhIHq8HjkopYg3M

Our city’s craft barbecue explosion is running out of room on the ground floor. Derek Allan’s, Flores, Heim, Hurtado, Panther City, Joe Riscky’s, and a few others have all staked their claim as standouts of the first wave. One of the more ballyhooed entries into the scene is Dayne’s Craft Barbecue, which has been wowing the meat-loving masses since its first pop-up at Lola’s Saloon about a year ago. 

Dayne’s quickly became the darling of the craft ’cue scene, and co-owners Ashley Nicole Hays and Dayne Weaver made big news by announcing on social media their plans to slide into some hot real estate on West Berry Street – a significant power play for an operation that started in the married couple’s front yard. After a falling-out with the owner of the property on Berry, the couple is now ready to move on. 

Starting on Sat, Aug 24, Hays and Weaver will be serving their post oak- and pecan-smoked prime meats at Lola’s Saloon, in the space between the Trailer Park and Lola’s proper. Dayne’s will be open on Saturdays only from noon until the food is gone, and they will still be able to handle catering gigs. Lola’s will also be kicking off a weekly afternoon concert series in conjunction with the launch. There’s no word yet on who is scheduled to play. 

Jubilee-Theatre3

Hays and Weaver said that serving out of Lola’s was always Plan A. When Dayne’s was ready to pursue the space, he said, there was already a tenant in place, Arcadia Parish Crawfish. 

“Today, looking back on the past few months, it feels like we’re back on course,” Hayes said. “We’ve come full-circle. We’ve just gained insight and experience.”

Hays and Weaver said that in March they were approached by developer Trey Nevilleabout moving into the West Berry Street building recently occupied by Americado. Dayne’s hosted a few pop-ups in that cavernous space, which were met with wide acclaim, drawing crowds of up to 250 people over a two-hour span. 

Weaver said Dayne’s and Neville reached “some kind of loose terms we had agreed on, and we were going to hash out the details later. In the meantime, [Neville] said, ‘Let’s go ahead and do some pop-ups there to create some buzz.’ “

As the finer points of their potential partnership with Neville became clearer, the couple said they became less comfortable with the relationship. 

One major point of contention, Weaver said, was their timeframe for opening. 

“He wanted to be open by July 1,” Weaver said. “There’s no way we could have gotten all of those renovations done, come up with a business plan, built a crew, and done the build-out in that timeframe. We always thought it was odd that there was such a rush. We were thinking we’d open in the fall.”

Their breaking point, the couple said, was that Neville wanted control of the operations of the restaurant, including adding a full bar and a late-night bar menu. Hays and Weaver said they were also concerned that they would have eventually had to compromise the quality of the food based on cost.

“He was planning on being an investor, putting up the capital for the build-out, all the up-front costs, all the initial alcohol cost, everything like that,” Weaver said. “There wasn’t a set number on what that would be. He wanted a certain percentage [of ownership], and it ended up being a percentage that we weren’t comfortable with.”

Neville said the couple didn’t hold up their end of the bargain, and that’s why the relationship dissolved. 

“I basically gave them a place to work out of, spent substantial dollars cleaning up the place, and investing to put them in a position to open, and the other side of the equation wasn’t met,” he said. “We asked for a detailed business plan with accurate projections and food costs, budgets, payroll, and all of that stuff, and we never got the level of detail that we wanted to see. They’re at a point in their life, in my opinion, where they’re just not ready to take on the restaurant business.”

Hays and Weaver said they presented Neville with a detailed business plan, and he would never answer questions about where money was coming from or the amount he was willing to invest.

Neville said his company, Graham LTD, is planning to develop that corner of Berry Street similar to the 8th Avenue area, where Wabi House and Super Chix sit. The plans include a pool, a micro-hotel, a stage, and a mini-amphitheater, he said. The company hopes to break ground by January. 

Hays and Weaver said Dayne’s is now back on track pursuing their most important goal: making the best barbecue in Texas. Weaver said he appreciated the opportunity Neville gave him and that he and his wife learned from the experience. Hays said she’s relieved and excited to be at Lola’s – and to put the past several months behind her. 

“I feel like this is the more natural flow of things,” she said. “It sucks that we’re not in the place we promised people, but for me personally, I feel so much better.”

20 hours ago, Genco said:

Recently had Smoky Rose for lunch. Absolute garbage.

Brisket was dry and the ribs were something I could get at Marshall's.

I have a gift card from here.  Went once, probably a year ago, and despite the fact that there’s $40 left on the card, I haven’t been back.  And I really like free shit.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I don’t live far from there. Will need to check it out. Where exactly is it?

My bad, meant Mockingbird. Near Harry Hines and Mockingbird. Smokey Johns does a lot at the state fair, has a stand and always participates in the new creative food item contest. 

Yelp reviews are higher than I’d rate it, but I left satisfied for going in with no expectations. 

https://yelp.to/qTKq/QeCaV0lP1Y 

12 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

My bad, meant Mockingbird. Near Harry Hines and Mockingbird. Smokey Johns does a lot at the state fair, has a stand and always participates in the new creative food item contest. 

Yelp reviews are higher than I’d rate it, but I left satisfied for going in with no expectations. 

https://yelp.to/qTKq/QeCaV0lP1Y 

Is that the place with the Jimmy Johns in the parking lot?  Heard that place has a great burger

On 8/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, ztejas said:

Smoky Rose is on my shortlist of douchiest restaurants in Dallas. And that's a competitive list. 

I live 5 minutes away from them and have still never had it. Just something about it was off-putting from the outside.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I live 5 minutes away from them and have still never had it. Just something about it was off-putting from the outside.

The BBQ is certainly sub-par. We went for brunch one time. It was OK. We haven't been back.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Best BBQ in DFW - Reader's Choice 2019

1563295125-1200x628_Article_BBQ_1.jpg?fi

Final 4:

• 407 BBQ - Argyle, TX
  • Hurtado Barbecue - Arlington, TX
  • Hutchins BBQ - McKinney, TX
  • Panther City BBQ - Fort Worth, TX

https://www.guidelive.com/barbecue/2019/07/16/best-bbq-d-fw#/gallery

No cattleack?

Also, judging by the burger finalists/winner, these lists are incomplete. Slater’s 50/50? Chips? Jakes?

43 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

No cattleack?

Also, judging by the burger finalists/winner, these lists are incomplete. Slater’s 50/50? Chips? Jakes?

Yeah there are some horribly bad exclusions on all of their lists.  Finalists and winners appear to be very suburb heavy.  Only people who still read the Dallas Morning News?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

1563295125-1200x628_Article_BBQ_1.jpg?fi

Final 4:

• 407 BBQ - Argyle, TX

From what I've seen online -- and know from a buddy whose been there first-hand -- Panther City is legit. I know nothing about 407 or Hurtado.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:48 AM, C-Man said:

From what I've seen online -- and know from a buddy whose been there first-hand -- Panther City is legit. I know nothing about 407 or Hurtado.

Can confirm that their ribs and brisket are money.  Ready for their building to be finished

Has anybody ever attended this? https://www.prekindle.com/event/45957-smoked-dallas-dallas  If so, is the BBQ on par with what you get from visiting these places, or a bit dumbed down for the masses?

I'll be on solo parenting duty with my 18 month old son.  Thinking about buying a VIP ticket and introducing him to the meat sweats (mostly kidding).  Would be nice if they'd post the Okie Lite gametime

Some pretty heavy hitters in the lineup:

BBQ ON THE BRAZOS (CRESSON)

BLACK’S BARBECUE (LOCKHART)

BODACIOUS BBQ MOBBERLY (LONGVIEW)

CATTLEACK BARBEQUE (DALLAS)

EVIE MAE’S PIT BARBEQUE (WOLFFORTH)

FERRIS WHEELER’S (DALLAS)

HEIM BARBECUE (FT. WORTH)

HURTADO BARBECUE (ARLINGTON)

HUTCHINS BBQ (MCKINNEY)

KREUZ MARKET (LOCKHART)

LOCKHART SMOKEHOUSE (DALLAS)

LOUIE MUELLER BARBECUE (TAYLOR)

MEAT CHURCH (WAXAHACHIE)

MICKLETHWAIT CRAFT MEATS (AUSTIN)

PANTHER CITY BBQ (FT. WORTH)

ROEGELS BARBECUE CO. (HOUSTON)

SCHMIDT FAMILY BARBECUE (BEE CAVE)

SMOKE SESSIONS BARBECUE (ROYSE CITY)

TEJAS CHOCOLATE & BBQ (TOMBALL)

ZAVALA’S BARBECUE (GRAND PRAIRIE)

ALSO FEATURING

CAFE MOMENTUM (DALLAS)

EMPORIUM PIES (DALLAS)

I went 2 years ago.  It was a good time but you aren't getting BBQ like you would if you were eating there.  Basically just getting small sample plates at each place.   I would go again though, but plan to be in Austin for OSU game.  Also, when we went my son was about to turn 1 and it was damn hot so we didn't last long.  Like most things, it would have been more enjoyable without a toddler.  

• Like 1

I went 2 years ago.  It was a good time but you aren't getting BBQ like you would if you were eating there.  Basically just getting small sample plates at each place.   I would go again though, but plan to be in Austin for OSU game.  Also, when we went my son was about to turn 1 and it was damn hot so we didn't last long.  Like most things, it would have been more enjoyable without a toddler.  

e7833a3dcb27f44361ff88091a9ab9de.jpg

1563295125-1200x628_Article_BBQ_1.jpg?fit=clip&q=60&or=0&auto=format&h=600
Final 4:
  • 407 BBQ - Argyle, TX
And 407 BBQ out of Argyle wins it.
The owner Bryan McLarty was good on the local bbq competition until a handful of years ago he retired from his job. Hung out a biy bbqing and fishing till the liquor store at I-35 and FM407 in Argyle begged him to set up a trailer in the empty lot next to the store. He thought "sure, I'll give it a go". As he would build up more money he would invest it into something to help the business. Never went into debt to take his business to the next level. He just let it organically grow and now he is in the brick and mortar restaurant with a full size kitchen that has let him expand his menu and serving times.

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

And 407 BBQ out of Argyle wins it.
The owner Bryan McLarty was good on the local bbq competition until a handful of years ago he retired from his job. Hung out a biy bbqing and fishing till the liquor store at I-35 and FM407 in Argyle begged him to set up a trailer in the empty lot next to the store. He thought "sure, I'll give it a go". As he would build up more money he would invest it into something to help the business. Never went into debt to take his business to the next level. He just let it organically grow and now he is in the brick and mortar restaurant with a full size kitchen that has let him expand his menu and serving times.

Well, that's great from a business standpoint.  But how's his BBQ?

Well, that's great from a business standpoint.  But how's his BBQ?
Solid. Central TX style brisket and ribs. Pulled pork and 2 different kinds of sausage. Have had it all and only one time was it "off" and that was at the last part of dinner service where I think the brisket dried out some.
Never have tried his beef ribs but hear they are great.

10 hours ago, Spoosner said:

Has anybody ever attended this? https://www.prekindle.com/event/45957-smoked-dallas-dallas  If so, is the BBQ on par with what you get from visiting these places, or a bit dumbed down for the masses?

I'll be on solo parenting duty with my 18 month old son.  Thinking about buying a VIP ticket and introducing him to the meat sweats (mostly kidding).  Would be nice if they'd post the Okie Lite gametime

Some pretty heavy hitters in the lineup:

BBQ ON THE BRAZOS (CRESSON)

BLACK’S BARBECUE (LOCKHART)

BODACIOUS BBQ MOBBERLY (LONGVIEW)

CATTLEACK BARBEQUE (DALLAS)

EVIE MAE’S PIT BARBEQUE (WOLFFORTH)

FERRIS WHEELER’S (DALLAS)

HEIM BARBECUE (FT. WORTH)

HURTADO BARBECUE (ARLINGTON)

HUTCHINS BBQ (MCKINNEY)

KREUZ MARKET (LOCKHART)

LOCKHART SMOKEHOUSE (DALLAS)

LOUIE MUELLER BARBECUE (TAYLOR)

MEAT CHURCH (WAXAHACHIE)

MICKLETHWAIT CRAFT MEATS (AUSTIN)

PANTHER CITY BBQ (FT. WORTH)

ROEGELS BARBECUE CO. (HOUSTON)

SCHMIDT FAMILY BARBECUE (BEE CAVE)

SMOKE SESSIONS BARBECUE (ROYSE CITY)

TEJAS CHOCOLATE & BBQ (TOMBALL)

ZAVALA’S BARBECUE (GRAND PRAIRIE)

ALSO FEATURING

CAFE MOMENTUM (DALLAS)

EMPORIUM PIES (DALLAS)

I’ve been a few times. As skipper said, it’s a little different than you’d expect. For instance, Cattleack one year served their Q-Tie Pies. I was like, WTF Todd? That was disappointing. VIP ain’t cheap either. The bbq doesn’t last very long. If you don’t VIP it you’d better be there when they open the doors.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insights.  VIP is the only way I'd do it.  Easily justifiable since I'm not buying the usual 2nd ticket for my wife, my son gets in free, 2 drinks included, and I'm hoping the "VIP area" might have some shade or something that will help with the little guy.  I'm still planning to wait and get some indication of what the weather looks like as well as UT game time before pulling the trigger.   

13 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Thanks for the insights.  VIP is the only way I'd do it.  Easily justifiable since I'm not buying the usual 2nd ticket for my wife, my son gets in free, 2 drinks included, and I'm hoping the "VIP area" might have some shade or something that will help with the little guy.  I'm still planning to wait and get some indication of what the weather looks like as well as UT game time before pulling the trigger.   

Yeah, there really wasn't much shade when we were there which was an issue.  And as C-Man mentioned, Cattleack did their Q-T Pies which was very weak and honestly not impressive at all (and I'm a huge Cattleack fan).  Valentinas was there that year and their mini brisket taco was best in class.   Also, they sell a lot of VIP tix but definitely the only way to do it.  I think we we basically left once the GA opened and lines were super long as hot as it was.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, there really wasn't much shade when we were there which was an issue.  And as C-Man mentioned, Cattleack did their Q-T Pies which was very weak and honestly not impressive at all (and I'm a huge Cattleack fan).  Valentinas was there that year and their mini brisket taco was best in class.   Also, they sell a lot of VIP tix but definitely the only way to do it.  I think we we basically left once the GA opened and lines were super long as hot as it was.

Q-T Pies?  Damnit Cattleack, if you're going to roll with desert, they damn well better at least go with the Crack Cake.  Fucking Q-T Pies...gimme a fucking break.

33 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Q-T Pies?  Damnit Cattleack, if you're going to roll with desert, they damn well better at least go with the Crack Cake.  Fucking Q-T Pies...gimme a fucking break.

The Q-T pies are savory, not sweet. Think they've got chopped beef and something else in them and then fried.

Tried Blu’s last weekend.  Meat was pretty good.  Not in the upper echelon of Dallas bbq, but pretty good.  The sides looked like they had been sitting out for a few days.  The service was borderline surly.  I’ll write the problems off to having just opened, and I’ll probably give them another shot at some point, but Ten50 is 15 minutes closer to the house and offers meat of a similar quality.

Another new place in Arlington, Hurtado's. My BBQ buddy has been and says it's legit.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/The-Next-Great-Texas-BBQ-Joint-Arlingtons-Hurtado-Barbecue-Company-Just-Might-Be-558881081.html?fbclid=IwAR1qS08GeiaHNHKv96mepAI-QTDRLdkzDkjz3iSroFQmxbTN5KJ14h6HrSY

In the span of about a year, Hurtado Barbecue Co. has gone from a virtually unknown pop-up stand to a thriving barbecue operation that typically has lines and almost always sells out in a matter of hours.

Not bad for their founder and unlikely pit master, Brandon Hurtado.

"It's incredible," said Hurtado.

"I never anticipated that we would be doing what we're doing at the scale that we are. I'm really grateful for the people of Arlington and beyond for coming out and thinking our food is good enough to support us."

Grabbed some Peggy Sue BBQ today over by Snider Plaza.  Holy shit did I chose poorly.  Figured it was handy, hadn’t been in a while, should be just kind of a low maintenance decent enough BBQ for game day.  Between the SMU game traffic, which I didn’t even think about, and some of the shittiest BBQ I’ve ever had, I fucked up.  I thought someone on here said they got a new pit master from PL?  Well, I don’t know about that, but it was worse than Dickey’s.  And I’m not kidding.  Got some kind of meat sampler platter thing and I think it might be the first time I’ve ever thrown away the majority, it was that effing bad.  Tried a bite or two of each meat, tried to douse a couple bites in the best BBQ sauce I have hoping that might help, gave a slice of “brisket” to the dog and threw the rest in the trash.  Good god it was awful!!!  Do not recommend.

Edited by Landomatic

On 9/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, Landomatic said:

Grabbed some Peggy Sue BBQ today over by Snider Plaza.  Holy shit did I chose poorly.  Figured it was handy, hadn’t been in a while, should be just kind of a low maintenance decent enough BBQ for game day.  Between the SMU game traffic, which I didn’t even think about, and some of the shittiest BBQ I’ve ever had, I fucked up.  I thought someone on here said they got a new pit master from PL?  Well, I don’t know about that, but it was worse than Dickey’s.  And I’m not kidding.  Got some kind of meat sampler platter thing and I think it might be the first time I’ve ever thrown away the majority, it was that effing bad.  Tried a bite or two of each meat, tried to douse a couple bites in the best BBQ sauce I have hoping that might help, gave a slice of “brisket” to the dog and threw the rest in the trash.  Good god it was awful!!!  Do not recommend.

Was me -- and I think @mdleast backed it up after a visit. Yes, the pit-master came over from Pecan Lodge. It's not to be considered up there with Cattleack or Pecan Lodge but it's 100% better than it used to be.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, Landomatic said:

Did you not use any sauce?  Because everyone knows that the most important thing about barbecue is the sauce.  /gregabbott

• Haha 1

Well, I don’t know when y’all last had it, but I can’t imagine this shit I had on Saturday is an improvement over anything.  I wasn’t expecting top tier PL or Cattleack levels by any means.  But this was some of the worst BBQ I’ve ever had.  In fact, I can’t recall any that was worse so it might have been THE worst I’ve ever had.  Just turrible.

Well, I don’t know when y’all last had it, but I can’t imagine this shit I had on Saturday is an improvement over anything.  I wasn’t expecting top tier PL or Cattleack levels by any means.  But this was some of the worst BBQ I’ve ever had.  In fact, I can’t recall any that was worse so it might have been THE worst I’ve ever had.  Just turrible.

We have the occasional Rib Cook-Off meeting there since we're trying to get event moved to Snider Plaza. I'll get some next time and report back. It's more akin to Sonny Bryan's, which I have no qualms eating if it's night time and I want some 'cue.

We have the occasional Rib Cook-Off meeting there since we're trying to get event moved to Snider Plaza. I'll get some next time and report back. It's more akin to Sonny Bryan's, which I have no qualms eating if it's night time and I want some 'cue.