Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

Some of y'all have been to Blu's. Worth it? I remember they got caught using somebody else's food photo at the beginning. Owner sounds a little douchey in this story:

http://katytrailweekly.com/young-owner-takes-cut-at-dallas-restaurant-market-p6442-179.htm?fbclid=IwAR1wOcrQzfpb6ITm59dppz9Ga4W75tMjZj8hqs4b5UTuS1evDYf-8RkOxSc

When a barbeque restaurant opens in North Dallas, it is not typically a big story in a city used to introducing new eating places weekly and that has a penchant for the popular Texas fare.

But when it is opened by a single 25-year-old who made money online in cryptocurrency and owns a large ranch on his own in East Texas, that makes the news a cut above.

Zach Bergenholtz has opened Blu’s Barbeque and Catering, at 17630 Preston Road, in a stand-alone space adjacent to the many strip shopping centers that line Preston Road from I-635 to beyond Frankford Road. One of the features of the restaurants is a 45-foot shipping container-turned-BBQ kitchen, although most of the fare is slow-smoked outside.

Bergenholtz grew up in Plano, graduated from Texas Tech University and studied restaurant management, psychology and general business. But he honed his abilities in barbequing while a Red Raider. “They had a barbeque club at Tech and saw how much people enjoyed it,” Bergenholtz said. “So, I went to Academy and bought a smoker and played around with it. My roommates would stay up with me at night and have fun. My first couple of briskets weren’t too good, but after a while I got the hang of it.”

He moved back to Dallas and before opening a brick-and-mortar operation, he started a catering business serving barbeque to downtown businesses. “People would ask me, ‘Where is your restaurant at?’ So, I decided to open a restaurant,” Bergenholtz said.

He used his head in his location research. Literally. “I used to get my haircut here,” Bergenholtz said. “This used to be a barbershop. I went to get my haircut here one day, and I saw that they moved down the street. I loved the shipping container idea, so I had to find a location where that would be good at.” The old barbershop fit the bill. “We cut a hole in the building but did construction ourselves. One of my requirements was that it had to be a detached building. I didn’t want to be in a strip center.”

The oldest of two boys, his brother is in medical school in Boston. “Did he tell you about the ranch?” his father asked when he made an impromptu stop by our table. Many of his loyal customers stopped by as well with praise for the food. During the busy times, lines are often out of the door.

Menu items include an Angus beef brisket, pulled pork, pork spare ribs, Akushi smoked sausage and a half or whole smoked chicken. Fresh-made sides feature a five-cheese mac and cheese and staples like baked beans, potato salad and Coleslaw. Daily specials include rib tips and brisket burnt ends.

“We are willing to step outside the box,” Bergenholtz said, when asked about what makes his restaurant different. “We do brisket tacos. We do pork belly burnt ends and we do brisket stuffed jalapeño peppers. We are not scared to smoke anything. We have done alligator and quail and we are going to give rattlesnake a try.”

While no beer and wine are currently available, gaining a license is nearly complete. Blu’s is open on Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. or until sold out of meat. They are closed on Monday.

Blu’s has been gaining a lot of positive recognition recently for its great local meats, but Bergenholtz has also kept the alternative eaters in mind. Blu’s is the first BBQ restaurant authorized in Texas to sell the vegan Impossible Burgers. Blu's will make its own patties and will use the Impossible meat for the tacos, stuffed jalapeños and other food products.

The 300-acre ranch, located near Bonham, will serve as the home of the restaurant’s meat supply and allow for better control of its meat production especially if the expansion goals don’t go up in smoke.

“We have been contacted by several attorneys and larger companies that would like us to franchise,” Bergenholtz said. “Right now, I have to put that aside. I don’t want anyone else’s hands in the restaurant.” His loyal and efficient staff have voiced interest in running additional locations, and Bergenholtz hopes to open six restaurants in the coming years.

But for now, at Blu’s Barbeque, it’s still about the meat. “It takes about 14 to 16 hours to smoke a brisket,” Bergenholtz said. “We make our own sauce, but we try to emphasize that the barbeque is good enough that it doesn’t need sauce.”

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:49 AM, C-Man said:

Some of y'all have been to Blu's. Worth it? I remember they got caught using somebody else's food photo at the beginning. Owner sounds a little douchey in this story:

http://katytrailweekly.com/young-owner-takes-cut-at-dallas-restaurant-market-p6442-179.htm?fbclid=IwAR1wOcrQzfpb6ITm59dppz9Ga4W75tMjZj8hqs4b5UTuS1evDYf-8RkOxSc

need to know which crypto he made his money in before i can render a true opinion

I've been to Blu's a couple of times last fall.  Had brisket and pork ribs.   Both were good.  Had some jalapeno beans,  collard greens and mac and cheese that were good also.  Not really sure why I haven't been back, just don't really think about it when I'm hungry I guess. 

I will say they worked on building that place for at least a year, so the dude's construction skills must be lacking since he said he did it himself in the article.  I really got to the point where I assumed they ran out of money and weren't going to open

Edited by orange dream

• 2 weeks later...

So Dallas is getting a Heim BBQ near Love Field. They're taking over the Mockingbird Diner spot. 

Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth announces coming-soon Dallas restaurant

That’s big news for meat lovers in Dallas.

A tray full of brisket, burnt ends, sausage, green chile mac & cheese, and twice baked potato salad are pictured at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth. The restaurant announced it will expand to Dallas in summer 2020.
A tray full of brisket, burnt ends, sausage, green chile mac & cheese, and twice baked potato salad are pictured at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth. The restaurant announced it will expand to Dallas in summer 2020.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

By Sarah Blaskovich

11:30 AM on Jan 27, 2020

Heim Barbecue, a fast-growing smoked-meat house that originated in Fort Worth, will open a restaurant at 3130 W. Mockingbird Lane in Dallas, near Dallas Love Field.

The restaurant’s namesakes Travis and Emma Heim started their company as a food truck in 2015. They amassed a serious following of meatheads, and by 2016, they opened a restaurant on Magnolia Avenue in Fort Worth. A second restaurant, on White Settlement Road in Fort Worth’s River District, followed in 2019. The Dallas barbecue joint will be the Heims’ third restaurant.

Heim Barbecue is currently on Texas Monthly’s list of the top 50 barbecue joints in Texas and remains one of the buzziest barbecue joints in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Heim Barbecue is expected to open at 3130 W. Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, in June 2020.

I hope it doesn't get lost in the Dallas scene.  I figured they would just stick to FW and be one of the tops over there.  That being said at least I don't have to drive to FW now to get it.  They better have the burgers.

Edited by Sparky

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So Dallas is getting a Heim BBQ near Love Field. They're taking over the Mockingbird Diner spot. 

Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth announces coming-soon Dallas restaurant

That’s big news for meat lovers in Dallas.

A tray full of brisket, burnt ends, sausage, green chile mac & cheese, and twice baked potato salad are pictured at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth. The restaurant announced it will expand to Dallas in summer 2020.
A tray full of brisket, burnt ends, sausage, green chile mac & cheese, and twice baked potato salad are pictured at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth. The restaurant announced it will expand to Dallas in summer 2020.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

By Sarah Blaskovich

11:30 AM on Jan 27, 2020

Heim Barbecue, a fast-growing smoked-meat house that originated in Fort Worth, will open a restaurant at 3130 W. Mockingbird Lane in Dallas, near Dallas Love Field.

The restaurant’s namesakes Travis and Emma Heim started their company as a food truck in 2015. They amassed a serious following of meatheads, and by 2016, they opened a restaurant on Magnolia Avenue in Fort Worth. A second restaurant, on White Settlement Road in Fort Worth’s River District, followed in 2019. The Dallas barbecue joint will be the Heims’ third restaurant.

Heim Barbecue is currently on Texas Monthly’s list of the top 50 barbecue joints in Texas and remains one of the buzziest barbecue joints in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Heim Barbecue is expected to open at 3130 W. Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, in June 2020.

Interesting -- that is extremely close to my house.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Wasn’t that Mockingbird Diner owned by the Slow Bone people?  Or did I dream that?  Anyway, I’d be scared to death of that location.  But I’m excited.  We can always use more good BBQ...especially that close to my house.

That sucks for Mockingbird Diner.  Apparently, a guy I went to elem school with was the floor manager.  I had been meaning to stop by.

Good on Heim.  The pork belly burnt ends I had there (FW) may have been the best thing I've eaten since returning to the Dallas area 2 1/2 years ago.  I still need something worthwhile in or near Rowlett, though.

I thought recent reports were that Heim was sucking ass?
I have avoided it the last couple of times I have been in the general vicinity (west FW).

The last few times, the original location was subpar. I went to the new location in the river district once and it was solid.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I need to get to Panther City.

So do I. And Hurtado in Arlington.

I'm sure Heim isn't as good as it was when it first started but damned if it isn't instantly the best BBQ without driving to Deep Ellum or Addison for those of us around Love Field so welcome to the neighborhood.

Mockingbird Diner was really good, I thought. Jack complained that he couldn't get -- and keep -- good servers. I think it went cafeteria-style at the end and then shuttered late last spring. (Jack sold Slow Bone several years ago but still owns Maple & Motor.)

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Mockingbird Diner was really good, I thought. Jack complained that he couldn't get -- and keep -- good servers. I think it went cafeteria-style at the end and then shuttered late last spring. (Jack sold Slow Bone several years ago but still owns Maple & Motor.)

That was the company line anyway.  I always assumed that was a by-product of something else though...i.e. it was hard to find and keep good help, because we couldn't afford to pay more, because we were in a shitty location.  Or something to that affect.  Finding good help in any business is always a challenge.  But to call it the reason your concept didn't work is pretty flimsy and kind of the same as saying, it didn't work because we couldn't find and keep good customers.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

That was the company line anyway.  I always assumed that was a by-product of something else though...i.e. it was hard to find and keep good help, because we couldn't afford to pay more, because we were in a shitty location.  Or something to that affect.  Finding good help in any business is always a challenge.  But to call it the reason your concept didn't work is pretty flimsy and kind of the same as saying, it didn't work because we couldn't find and keep good customers.

I'm not implying that was the only problem only that it probably hastened the demise. The food was fantastic the couple of times we went.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I thought recent reports were that Heim was sucking ass?

I have avoided it the last couple of times I have been in the general vicinity (west FW).

I have yet to try their river location but my last trip to the magnolia store was terrible. I yearn for the food truck days. When Travis had full control over the final product, he was putting out the best BBQ in the metroplex. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I hope it doesn't put Big Al's out of business.  That place has been there forever and we've always had a good (food) experience when eating there.

Pretty sure that Big Al's and Heim are focused on different audiences.  Big Al's pork rib basket special, $11.50 for ribs and 2 sides (or a baked potato), served on Tuesday and Saturday only, is a steal.  C-Man and I have long "agreed to disagree" about Big Al's!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Pretty sure that Big Al's and Heim are focused on different audiences.  Big Al's pork rib basket special, $11.50 for ribs and 2 sides (or a baked potato), served on Tuesday and Saturday only, is a steal.  C-Man and I have long "agreed to disagree" about Big Al's!

Agreed on that. Big Al's is competing with Sonny Bryan's and Mike Anderson's more than Heim.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

That sucks for Mockingbird Diner.  Apparently, a guy I went to elem school with was the floor manager.  I had been meaning to stop by.

Good on Heim.  The pork belly burnt ends I had there (FW) may have been the best thing I've eaten since returning to the Dallas area 2 1/2 years ago.  I still need something worthwhile in or near Rowlett, though.

Do you not like Smoke Session out in Royse City?

After months of slinging succulent brisket, beef ribs, and more from a trailer, Arlington’s Hurtado Barbecue is set to move into its permanent home next month.

A Facebook event listing indicates that Hurtado Barbecue will host a grand opening party on Saturday, February 22. Originally, the restaurant was set to arrive at the Urban Union development at 205 East Front Street in Arlington sooner, but construction delays pushed back its arrival.

For those who haven’t made the trek to Arlington for pitmaster Brandon Hurtado’s smoked meats, they’re definitely worth the drive. It’s perhaps most famous for its “Texas Twinkies,” or brisket-stuffed, bacon-wrapped jalapenos that are smoked and slathered in barbecue sauce. The menu’s got a decidedly Tex-Mex vibe, with the brisket and sausage being served with super-soft, freshly made tortillas and spicy salsa verde, that will remind some barbecue enthusiasts of the much-lauded Valentina’s Tex-Mex BBQ in Austin.

When Hurtado Barbecue opens on February 22, it will serve smoked meats starting at 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. or sell-out.

• Like 1

posting in this thread too, but posted over at the Texas BBQ thread:

Goldee's Barbecue announced their opening date of Feb 15th a couple of days ago

couple of links to article about them when they announced it:

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/03/goldees-barbecue-will-soon-call-fort-worth-home/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/childhood-friends-return-to-dfw-area-to-open-goldees-bbq/287-aceedd67-a387-428d-ae05-115493428c8d

They are located at 4645 Dick Price Road Fort Worth, Texas - kind of south of 820 and 20? maybe like 20ish min from downtown FW? 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:51 PM, NoName said:

posting in this thread too, but posted over at the Texas BBQ thread:

Goldee's Barbecue announced their opening date of Feb 15th a couple of days ago

couple of links to article about them when they announced it:

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/03/goldees-barbecue-will-soon-call-fort-worth-home/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/tarrant-county/childhood-friends-return-to-dfw-area-to-open-goldees-bbq/287-aceedd67-a387-428d-ae05-115493428c8d

They are located at 4645 Dick Price Road Fort Worth, Texas - kind of south of 820 and 20? maybe like 20ish min from downtown FW? 

Nice that is a nice tray of meat

• 2 weeks later...

Had hurtado on Saturday... it was a B to B-. Everything seemed to be pulled too early in terms of rendering and tenderness. Good smoke flavor/ring but lacking in seasoning.

Really nice ppl running it, almost an hour long line. Had mixed brisket, pork ribs, jap ched sausage. Best thing I had was hands down the hatch Mac and cheese, major kick to it.

16 hours ago, bluto said:

Had hurtado on Saturday... it was a B to B-. Everything seemed to be pulled too early in terms of rendering and tenderness. Good smoke flavor/ring but lacking in seasoning.

Really nice ppl running it, almost an hour long line. Had mixed brisket, pork ribs, jap ched sausage. Best thing I had was hands down the hatch Mac and cheese, major kick to it.

Interesting. I've only heard raves to this point. I know they're uber-occupied with getting ready to open the brick-and-mortar next weekend, maybe that had something to do with it.