Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

8 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
On 2/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, C-Man said:
Friend posted her Cattleack receipt on FB today. Would it surprise you to know their brisket is only $18.99/lb.

I was surprised to get a notification at 12:30 today from Cattleack saying there was no waiting line.

I guess nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Headed to Ft Worth today and thinking about grabbing some to-go BBQ before I head home.  Panther City still where it's at?  Or Goldees or or Hurtado or what?  Not sure what the to-go situation is for each.  Any recs appreciated...

As per his text, I think Lando went to Panther City and I'm awaiting a report. Hurtado is in Arlington -- but it's supposed to be amazing. I'd forgotten about Goldee's -- I hear it's great too.

Yep did Panther.  Goldees didn't have preorder available for pickup until like May something.  And we just didn't really feel like making another stop off in Arlington.  Panther City was great though.  Really outstanding.  Not quite Cattleack level, but very very close.

Tried a little bit of everything.  Literally ordered almost one of everything on the menu because we wanted the leftovers for quarantine.  Brisket Elote and Ribs were the big stars.  I'm still full the next morning and we have a lot of leftovers.

Order and pickup process was easy and felt safe enough.  Thanks @C-Man for the rec.

• Like 1

DMN:

In Arlington, Hurtado Barbecue, a new “Mexicue” spot with outdoor picnic tables, also posted shortly after Abbott’s press conference: “We are excited to announce that we’ll be reopening our dining room this Friday at 25% capacity, per the governor’s guidelines.”

Brandon Hurtado, the owner who gained a following selling beef ribs from a food truck, says his customers have been waiting and hoping for this. He’s removed inside seating to allow for the 25% rule, marked places to stand in line that are 6-feet apart, and installed three hand sanitizer stations — one by the restroom and one for each door. When inside, customers will order from a meat cutter, who will be wearing a face mask behind a sneeze guard that was already installed.

Hurtado views the decision to reopen as simply following the guidelines the state has set for businesses. Customers who feel uncomfortable “have the right to stay home,” he says. “And customers that want to get out also have the right to do so. Everyone has the option.” He plans to donate 10% of his sales from Friday and Saturday to a barber shop and hair salon next to the restaurant as a way to support businesses that still can’t reopen.

When asked what his plan is if an employee tests positive for the coronavirus, someone who could have been asymptomatic for days, Hurtado says, “We would have to address it at that time. Employees know that they are not supposed to come to work if they’re feeling sick.”

He’s also not concerned about potential lawsuits. “I don’t see people suing other restaurants for getting the flu.”

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

DMN:

In Arlington, Hurtado Barbecue, a new “Mexicue” spot with outdoor picnic tables, also posted shortly after Abbott’s press conference: “We are excited to announce that we’ll be reopening our dining room this Friday at 25% capacity, per the governor’s guidelines.”

Brandon Hurtado, the owner who gained a following selling beef ribs from a food truck, says his customers have been waiting and hoping for this. He’s removed inside seating to allow for the 25% rule, marked places to stand in line that are 6-feet apart, and installed three hand sanitizer stations — one by the restroom and one for each door. When inside, customers will order from a meat cutter, who will be wearing a face mask behind a sneeze guard that was already installed.

Hurtado views the decision to reopen as simply following the guidelines the state has set for businesses. Customers who feel uncomfortable “have the right to stay home,” he says. “And customers that want to get out also have the right to do so. Everyone has the option.” He plans to donate 10% of his sales from Friday and Saturday to a barber shop and hair salon next to the restaurant as a way to support businesses that still can’t reopen.

When asked what his plan is if an employee tests positive for the coronavirus, someone who could have been asymptomatic for days, Hurtado says, “We would have to address it at that time. Employees know that they are not supposed to come to work if they’re feeling sick.”

He’s also not concerned about potential lawsuits. “I don’t see people suing other restaurants for getting the flu.”

I’ll cross him off the list of places I need to patronize.

4 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

DMN:

What a fucking moron

On 5/1/2020 at 11:30 AM, conVINCEd said:

I’ll cross him off the list of places I need to patronize.

It's allegedly bad ass 'cue. Poor timing in that he opened literally weeks before the COVID-19 shutdown.

I think he's really naive about not getting sued but it's going to be hard to trace an infection back to a restaurant IMO. I'm actually surprised at the number of places in and around the Park Cities that are opened back up as of yesterday. Some, shockingly, are not requiring staff to wear masks. I think that's unbelievably reckless.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's allegedly bad ass 'cue. Poor timing in that he opened literally weeks before the COVID-19 shutdown.

I think he's really naive about not getting sued but it's going to be hard to trace an infection back to a restaurant IMO. I'm actually surprised at the number of places in and around the Park Cities that are opened back up as of yesterday. Some, shockingly, are not requiring staff to wear masks. I think that's unbelievably reckless.

10 years ago I probably would’ve tolerated in idiot to get some badass ‘cue.  There’s too many good options now.

What did he say that was so idiotic?  Do you object to his opening at all (that I guess I could "buy")?

I don't know what to think about suing a restaurant for getting it, unless they are super-reckless somehow.

While I don't really approve of the "opening" as a general proposition, I have mixed feelings about those opening per the rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What did he say that was so idiotic?  Do you object to his opening at all (that I guess I could "buy")?

I don't know what to think about suing a restaurant for getting it, unless they are super-reckless somehow.

While I don't really approve of the "opening" as a general proposition, I have mixed feelings about those opening per the rules.

Yeah, I don't get an "idiotic" vibe from the comment. It's perhaps naive like I said.

This bug doesn't seem to pass efficiently via food -- it's best done through the air in sneezes, coughs and close conversation. As some of you know, I had a mild case that was confirmed by a antibody test earlier this week. That said, I'm likely restricting myself to take-out until this gets a little more under control and I wore a mask in to get our coffee at Drip this morning. (Surprisingly, my wife's test came back negative.)

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The flu.  
edited to add: I went back and reread it.  It was a bit of an overreaction on my part.  Apologies.  I’m a little hypersensitive to people who try to minimize this shit right now as my aunt is currently residing in the freezer at Restland and my uncle is in the ICU.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 1

No need to apologize.  I wasn't ragging on you, I just missed the idiotic part.  And yeah flu might be considered idiotic if he meant to downplay the seriousness.  I didn't even catch that.  Plus, you weren't the only one saying it.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I went back to Blu's yesterday and was disappointed.  The beans clearly come out of a can now and the burnt ends were nothing more than parts they cut off the (very) fatty side of the brisket.  My guess is they were out and just threw those in rather than tell me they were out after I ordered them?  Because if not they do not know what burnt ends are.  But the saving grace was the collard greens that were outstanding.  They had some real heat to them and I'll likely go back just for some of them.

I went back to Blu's yesterday and was disappointed.  The beans clearly come out of a can now and the burnt ends were nothing more than parts they cut off the (very) fatty side of the brisket.  My guess is they were out and just threw those in rather than tell me they were out after I ordered them?  Because if not they do not know what burnt ends are.  But the saving grace was the collard greens that were outstanding.  They had some real heat to them and I'll likely go back just for some of them.
Actually the cuts from the fatty/crispy ends are what true burnt ends are. However, it is not the burnt ends that is typically expected when ordered.

• 1 month later...

The Monday BBQ Kent used to do at Blue Plate Special was really fucking good. Is this what's going on in the Lovers Seafood parking lot?

They're smoking BBQ down at the old Windmill Lounge on Maple -- owned by Lisa and Tom Georgalis (old Inwood Tavern owners, now own The Ivy and this place). I think it's called MD Tavern or something now.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Is this what's going on in the Lovers Seafood parking lot?

Not sure if that's what you've been seeing, but that is one of their locations...which makes sense because that's Kent's wife's restaurant.  Looks like it changes every time.  Here's this week...

• Friday, June 19 - Imoto - 2400 Victory Park Ln
  • Saturday, June 20 - Audi Dallas - 5033 Lemmon Ave
  • Sunday, June 21 - Lovers Seafood - 5200 W Lovers Ln

Only problem I see is it looks like you have to buy a shit ton of BBQ with it.  I'm all about buying extra so there are some leftovers throughout the week, but these are some huge quantities.  Like you can either buy a whole or half a brisket, a full rack of ribs, a whole pork butt, etc.  I like a little bit of variety when I get BBQ and it's just the wife and me, so that's gonna be WAY too much food.

Or I guess I could invest in a food saver vacuum sealer and plan to freeze a bunch, but that seems like a lot of effort just to try some BBQ that I don't even know if I'm gonna like.  So, probably gonna have to pass.

Edited by Landomatic

Not sure if that's what you've been seeing, but that is one of their locations...which makes sense because that's Kent's wife's restaurant.  Looks like it changes every time.  Here's this week...
Only problem I see is it looks like you have to buy a shit ton of BBQ with it.  I'm all about buying extra so there are some leftovers throughout the week, but these are some huge quantities.  Like you can either buy a whole or half a brisket, a full rack of ribs, a whole pork butt, etc.  I like a little bit of variety when I get BBQ and it's just the wife and me, so that's gonna be WAY too much food.
Or I guess I could invest in a food saver vacuum sealer and plan to freeze a bunch, but that seems like a lot of effort just to try some BBQ that I don't even know if I'm gonna like.  So, probably gonna have to pass.

Quitter.

Well, that's one way to sell out each time.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I might go in on one of the "smaller" orders with you and Mrs. Lando. The first one you've got to buy a $115 package for "two." The one at Audi/Lemmon looks more reasonable. We could buy half a brisket, a rack of ribs and some sides and be in good shape. Hell, you can borrow my FoodSaver if you must.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I might go in on one of the "smaller" orders with you and Mrs. Lando. The first one you've got to buy a $115 package for "two." The one at Audi/Lemmon looks more reasonable. We could buy half a brisket, a rack of ribs and some sides and be in good shape. Hell, you can borrow my FoodSaver if you must.

Yeah, that dinner for 2 and dinner for 4 thing is only on Friday which I didn't really want.  Plus it includes some items I probably wouldn't be interested in.

As far as splitting it, the problem with that is my wife doesn't eat brisket so the brisket would be kind of a waste for me.  Not to mention both of our wives eating like birds.  Plus how would we portion it out?  In the parking lot?  One of us takes it all home and cuts everything in half then gives the other half to the other guy?  I really appreciate the offer, but it all kind of sounds like a square peg in a round hole if you ask me.  And all for BBQ that we don't even know if we're going to like.  That said, if you're really into it and want to do it, text me and I'm sure we can figure something out.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that dinner for 2 and dinner for 4 thing is only on Friday which I didn't really want.  Plus it includes some items I probably wouldn't be interested in.

As far as splitting it, the problem with that is my wife doesn't eat brisket so the brisket would be kind of a waste for me.  Not to mention both of our wives eating like birds.  Plus how would we portion it out?  In the parking lot?  One of us takes it all home and cuts everything in half then gives the other half to the other guy?  I really appreciate the offer, but it all kind of sounds like a square peg in a round hole if you ask me.  And all for BBQ that we don't even know if we're going to like.  That said, if you're really into it and want to do it, text me and I'm sure we can figure something out.

Ha. Kent does a good job on the 'cue unless he's completely changed from Blue Plate days. That shit was good and here you have more say over what you get. That was a 2- or 3-meat plate with whatever he decided to cook that day. Let me look things over and see if it makes sense. I'll have my kids this weekend. Friday doesn't make sense since we're trying to do Fachini again on Fri night for my FIL's birthday/father's day.

Hutchin's dining room is back open, which means the complimentary peach cobbler, banana pudding and ice cream is back in the rotation.
However, their brisket prices are $28/lb because of supply. They make sure your not surprised by this as the have a sign posted by the entrance about the necessary increase. Still got some.e53e919a886778f6940ab43d3e3cdd93.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

[mention=1395]Both Tacos[/mention]- did they still have the all you can eat option?  I saw the $28 pricing on their site the other day and immediately wondered.  Haven't been since pre-lockdown.
I haven't had sugar/carbs in two weeks after I decided to stop the covid swelling.  That pic is killing me.
I don't think I saw it on their menu right now.

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I haven't had sugar/carbs in two weeks after I decided to stop the covid swelling.  That pic is killing me.

Every time I try getting back in the no carb diet, the diarrhea hits me so hard I can’t stick with it.  Can’t imagine trying that now. I’d be constantly worried it was the cove 

• 2 weeks later...
[mention=1395]Both Tacos[/mention]- did they still have the all you can eat option?  I saw the $28 pricing on their site the other day and immediately wondered.  Haven't been since pre-lockdown.
Went today and they had a sign over the all you can eat option.
Still went hard.95a32d1116b988d60fb67768e9a3cc69.jpg
  • Like 1

I’ve never had anything less than a B from Hutchins.  I don’t know that I’ve ever had an A+ from there, but the list of places who have hit that mark is pretty small, and I’ve had worse than a B at some of them.  Consistent goodness is something I’ll always appreciate.

• Hook 'Em 2