Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

On 9/21/2020 at 1:48 PM, C-Man said:

Terry Black's is damn good.

You're not kidding.  Where the hell has Terry Black's been all my life?  Had it delivered for the game last night.  It pretty much started with several disadvantages (delivery is never as good, later in the evening is never as good, Favor driver left it on the wrong porch so it sat out there for I don't know how long), but it was still really effing good.  Should be in the conversation with Cattleack for number 1 in Dallas in my opinion.

SoRNNR.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You're not kidding.  Where the hell has Terry Black's been all my life?  Had it delivered for the game last night.  It pretty much started with several disadvantages (delivery is never as good, later in the evening is never as good, Favor driver left it on the wrong porch so it sat out there for I don't know how long), but it was still really effing good.  Should be in the conversation with Cattleack for number 1 in Dallas in my opinion.

SoRNNR.jpg

It's great. I don't even bother with Pecan Lodge anymore with Terry Black's right down the street though I am needing to finally get some fried chicken from PL. My parents are up from SAT tomorrow for a couple of nights and we're going to have bbq from somewhere. I'm thinking of running over to Hurtado in Arlington -- been wanting to try it -- or Black's down in Deep Ellum if they don't pick up some on their way up 35.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It's great. I don't even bother with Pecan Lodge anymore with Terry Black's right down the street though I am needing to finally get some fried chicken from PL. My parents are up from SAT tomorrow for a couple of nights and we're going to have bbq from somewhere. I'm thinking of running over to Hurtado in Arlington -- been wanting to try it -- or Black's down in Deep Ellum if they don't pick up some on their way up 35.

The Terry Black's in Austin has been open for a while, and has been pretty good.  Terry Blacks > Black's, IMO

• 1 month later...

My buddy (we won Rib Cook-Off a few years ago)
who is going to open his own place some day has been multiple times and he loves it. I know we’re on bbq thread but Goldee’s has what appears to be a fucking killer fried chicken sandwich.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:37 AM, Landomatic said:

SoRNNR.jpg

I've had Cattleack twice and really don't understand the hype. On the Dallas side, I like Pecan Lodge and Terry Black's. In Fort Worth, it's Panther City all day. 

On 3/6/2021 at 9:35 PM, Sal said:

I've had Cattleack twice and really don't understand the hype. On the Dallas side, I like Pecan Lodge and Terry Black's. In Fort Worth, it's Panther City all day. 

Interesting bump as we hit Terry Black's last night for a friend's dad's birthday dinner. Holy shit was it good. It's easily my favorite in Dallas now. I love Cattleack but it's a hassle -- long line and David can be kind of a prick (his wife is a sweetie, though) and it's not open but a few days per week. Terry Black's was as good as ever -- got brisket, sausage, ribs and turkey along with beans, potato salad, slaw and peach cobbler. Damn, damn good. And it's a cool space too.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone been to Heim in Dallas lately?  We were a little disappointed the last couple times we had it...and haven’t heard much since.  It also looks pretty dead the few times I’ve driven by.

I've been a half dozen times or so, maybe more. It's good, not on the level of Terry Black's or Cattleack or even probably Pecan Lodge. But it's super convenient to you and I. The only thing that has been lackluster the last few times I've been is the brisket -- but that's kind of a big thing for a BBQ place, though. My parents were up right around the New Year to bring Xmas gifts for my kids and whatever. We decided to pick up BBQ and went by there on NYE rather than go all the way down to Terry Black's. Ordered a bunch of food and then went and sat down to wait on it and the manager comes out and they're out of brisket. We changed it to pulled pork, which was really good BTW.

The burgers are legit. Fantastic. All of their sausages are great too. The turkey is not very good at all. I usually get lean brisket and it's been underwhelming the last few times I've been. As far as sides go I don't like their slaw but the chilled bake potato casserole side is good and so are the beans. The mac is pretty good and they've got great fries and O-rings. It's a good place and I think it will hopefully do better when the pandemic ends and the weather is nice.

Wife brought Heim home last Wednesday on the way back from the airport.  Chopped brisket sandwich.  It had been sitting in the container for a couple of hours, so I probably didn't get the best experience.  Tasted ok.  Not memorable; not bad.

Finally going to hit Terry Black's next week during spring break.  I'll report back.

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone been to Heim in Dallas lately?  We were a little disappointed the last couple times we had it...and haven’t heard much since.  It also looks pretty dead the few times I’ve driven by.

Disappointment is all they serve at Heim BBQ.

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

how was it?

It was terrific. I had a DP for some reason and tried to edit one to include the photos and it spiked the one where I talked about the food.

We got brisket (it's under the turkey), turkey and ribs, potato salad and beans. It was all very, very good. No sausage today because Lane, one of the owners/pit guys, said they weren't happy with today's batch so they weren't serving it. Lane was very nice -- said to tell them next time about the sausage and they'll throw some in for free. The meat/sides were very good. The white bread is homemade from scratch and was terrific so don't forget that! Free Lone Star in the cooler as well.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
Is that lot across the street still open? I haven't been to that area of deep ellum since monkey king noodle had their tiny shack and the comedy place had the whole block

TB has a pretty decent parking situation. Can’t recall about across the street situation.

any of you dallas folk tried the new iteration of peggy sue?  the changes to the menu have me skeptical and those prices are steep.  glad to see toya is still involved.

also, I had to laugh at “uncooked brisket slabs for $20/lb.” who is gonna fall for that?

DD5D3B8D-8D07-46D1-9B66-4ECC29E2A1DD.jpeg

63ABF3C6-343D-462F-83EA-2E03DC5D98F6.jpeg

Edited by futureman

12 hours ago, futureman said:

any of you dallas folk tried the new iteration of peggy sue?  the changes to the menu have me skeptical and those prices are steep.  glad to see toya is still involved.

also, I had to laugh at “uncooked brisket slabs for $20/lb.” who is gonna fall for that?

DD5D3B8D-8D07-46D1-9B66-4ECC29E2A1DD.jpeg

63ABF3C6-343D-462F-83EA-2E03DC5D98F6.jpeg

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

I can’t seem to find a menu of what they sell hot there in the New York Subs location. Most importantly, do they still offer their brisket quesadilla?

I haven't been yet but Andrew is a good dude and NY Subs is terrific. (The hot dogs are legit AF.) They've donated a TON of meals to medical workers in the last 12 months. Just good people. But this isn't Peggy Sue's like you remember. The smoker is out back of NY Subs (I think). It's the same recipes (I believe) for the sides as Peggy Sue's but can't speak to the meat. And, no, on the brisket quesadilla. The pic shared by futureman is the entirety of "Peggy Sue's" menu.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't been yet but Andrew is a good dude and NY Subs is terrific. (The hot dogs are legit AF.) They've donated a TON of meals to medical workers in the last 12 months. Just good people. But this isn't Peggy Sue's like you remember. The smoker is out back of NY Subs (I think). It's the same recipes (I believe) for the sides as Peggy Sue's but can't speak to the meat. And, no, on the brisket quesadilla. The pic shared by futureman is the entirety of "Peggy Sue's" menu.

Other than for the nostalgia, which I get, Peggy Sue’s food was shit. At least it was the last few years. So unless the new spot is somehow able to capture that nostalgia, which doesn’t seem very likely, but who knows, I can’t imagine it’s very good.

Agree on NY Subs though. Love that place. Second best sub I’ve had in town. Well...now that Jimmy’s isn’t doing them, I guess they’re #1

Some of you may know -- most probably don't -- that I'm in a service group/club which raises money for the Rise School of Dallas through a half-dozen or so events per year. We're responsible for 2/3 or so of the school's $1M annual operating budget. One of our events is a Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off. I've been a vice chairman the last couple of years and am the "chairman-elect" for 2022. It's always a great time. We cancelled last year and are taking this year's on the road, so to speak, to historic Southfork Ranch, out in Collin County where they DGAF. We are tacking on a concert at the end this year (Cory Morrow and Roger Creager will be playing an acoustic show together).

Our celebrity judges for 2021 include the one-and-only Tootsie Tomanetz (Snow's) who will be joining us for the second time. Daniel Vaughn will be there as well as Jack Perkins (Maple & Motor/formerly Slow Bone), Jeffrey Hobbs (Slow Bone) and Marshall Prichard (Sammy's).

The cookoff is scheduled for June 5th. It begins at 11 or so and will run until 8.

Typically, we've had this in office building surface parking lots in and around the Bubble. It was a fun event for club members and the simple goal was to at least break even. It's started making money and now we hope to perhaps push this to even bigger heights. Our biggest event has always been Rise Roundup in the fall the week of Texas-OU. The last one we had Robert Earl Keen at Bomb Factory. We couldn't have it in 2020 so we've kind of smashed the two events together for the Cook-Off but we think this will be the model moving forward.

At any rate, several ways you can join us:

• Put together a team to come compete -- $500 to $1500 levels (you get 10 tickets to the event and entry into the cook-off)
  • Buy a VIP table for the concert -- $1500/per (10 seats -- includes all beer/wine/liquor and BBQ catered dinner)
  • Buy individual VIP ticket ($150 -- same perks, just no set table, there will be VIP ticket tables that are first-come, first-serve)
  • Buy GA ticket ($50) -- gets you in for the cook-off portion and the concert that evening (also includes all beer/wine/probably liquor)

Like I said, it's a ton of fun and it's for a good cause. Individual teams will likely be cooking all kinds of stuff and passing out samples though those aren't guaranteed. We're already discussing the possibility of having the 2022 event down at Fair Park thanks to our relationship with Ben E Keith (Budweiser is taking over all the beer distribution for Fair Park). Our ultimate goal is to make this DFW's premiere BBQ cookoff event on par with what they do in San Antonio and Houston.

Feel free to reach out to me for additional details.

c2e15b1f7bda30262a9f5232f6042827.jpg

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4