Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

I grew up in Farmers Branch (64-82) and I am in the process of selling my parents home that was built in 1959. My best friend still lives in Farmers Branch. I've never heard it called The Branch. Generally speaking, Farmers Branch is east of GB/190. north of 635, west of Midway or Inwood and south of Fyke Rd (just south of Beltline Rd).

Edited by Tyrone Krivacs

On 1/20/2022 at 3:22 PM, Tyrone Krivacs said:

I grew up in Farmers Branch (64-82) and I am in the process of selling my parents home that was built in 1959. My best friend still lives in Farmers Branch. I've never heard it called The Branch. Generally speaking, Farmers Branch is east of GB/190. north of 635, west of Midway or Inwood and south of Fyke Rd (just south of Beltline Rd).

Probably because missus and I have only work-shopped it amongst ourselves.

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, NOMAAA said:

anyway, zavala's >>>>>>hurtado.

i haven't been to Hurtado's yet, but I went to Zavala's on Friday night.  Wife was out so I was on my own.  Decided to drive to GP to see what they had at 7 pm.  They had brisket and turkey, which was good by me.  Sold out of ribs and sausage, but that's fine.  Since it was just me, half a pound of brisket and half a pound of turkey was fine.  They were both great.  Brisket was solid.  Also got some of Pop's beans.  Those were great.  I prefer charro beans to baked beans with my cue.  I'll definitely have to go back to try other stuff. Flour tortillas are a nice touch, too.  Reminds me of eating brisket at grandma's house for Christmas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have re-branded our annual Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off as the Big Texas BBQ. We also have a new venue (Fair Park, right up against the Cotton Bowl) and are expanding the musical component to include Texas legend Gary P. Nunn and the always-entertaining Kevin Fowler. The date is 4/16 and the event runs all day long. Individual all-day passes are $50 until 4/1 and then they'll jump to $75. Open bar is included in the price. Booze provided by Ben E Keith, Treaty Oak, Tito's and more!

Our celebrity judges include Tootsie Tomanetz and Daniel Vaughn among others. Sponsorships available too.

Oh, and did I mention I'm the chairman for 2022. Well, I am.

Please come join us either as a competitor (teams are $750 or $1500 -- and include 10 tickets) or VIP level sponsor or just to hang out by yourself. The beer and whiskey is literally ON ME!!!!

All proceeds go to help fund The Ashford Rise School of Dallas!!!!

GaryP-Fowler-TDC-2022.jpeg

TDC Big Texas BBQ Cookoff Flyer 2022.pdf 2022 BBQ Sponsorship Package.pdf

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, C-Man said:

My in-laws live at Brookhaven and that's Farmer's Branch. I *think* the dividing line between Addison and the Branch, as it's known in our family, is Marsh Road. Going west, I think Carrollton might start at I-35 or Carrollton might only border FB on the north somewhere. I'm a little fuzzy there.

Carrollton basically goes from Midway on the east and Belt Line on the south (although I think it creeps a bit south as you go west from Midway) to a little bit west of 35 on the west side and roughly Hebron Pkwy to the north.  Addison abuts it on the east and runs adjacent to FB as you go south.

themoreyouknow.gif

In downtown Mansfield a new Tex Mex bbq joint Del Toro BBQ. It’s really good, pricey with prime brisket at $30 LB, but pulled pork at $22 LB when shoulders are selling at Tom Thumb for $1.77 LB, sausage at $22 lb is high as well. I’ve had a special of brisket enchiladas, which were good. On weekends they do pancakes with pork belly burnt ends.

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

In downtown Mansfield a new Tex Mex bbq joint Del Toro BBQ. It’s really good, pricey with prime brisket at $30 LB, but pulled pork at $22 LB when shoulders are selling at Tom Thumb for $1.77 LB, sausage at $22 lb is high as well. I’ve had a special of brisket enchiladas, which were good. On weekends they do pancakes with pork belly burnt ends.

Those prices are inline for the best places in DFW for the most part. Online pics look pretty good, though, I must say. I'm never in Mansfield, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out Crossbuck Barbecue today.  Tim McLaughlin and Damian Avila from Lockhart Smokehouse have opened their own joint in Farmers Branch just east of Midway on Spring Valley. Today was their first day open.  I thought it was really good.  The ribs were not over cooked like most places.  The pulled pork was done in a spicy black molasses sauce.  Turkey, Brisket, and Sausage were all on point.

crossbuck.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I checked out Crossbuck Barbecue today.  Tim McLaughlin and Damian Avila from Lockhart Smokehouse have opened their own joint in Farmers Branch just east of Midway on Spring Valley. Today was their first day open.  I thought it was really good.  The ribs were not over cooked like most places.  The pulled pork was done in a spicy black molasses sauce.  Turkey, Brisket, and Sausage were all on point.

crossbuck.jpg

My wife's office is right there at Spring Valley/Midway and drove by it this weekend. They were serving something this weekend. It's right next to Odd Muse, which I hear is a pretty good little brewery.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, C-Man said:

We have re-branded our annual Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off as the Big Texas BBQ. We also have a new venue (Fair Park, right up against the Cotton Bowl) and are expanding the musical component to include Texas legend Gary P. Nunn and the always-entertaining Kevin Fowler. The date is 4/16 and the event runs all day long. Individual all-day passes are $50 until 4/1 and then they'll jump to $75. Open bar is included in the price. Booze provided by Ben E Keith, Treaty Oak, Tito's and more!

Our celebrity judges include Tootsie Tomanetz and Daniel Vaughn among others. Sponsorships available too.

Oh, and did I mention I'm the chairman for 2022. Well, I am.

Please come join us either as a competitor (teams are $750 or $1500 -- and include 10 tickets) or VIP level sponsor or just to hang out by yourself. The beer and whiskey is literally ON ME!!!!

All proceeds go to help fund The Ashford Rise School of Dallas!!!!

GaryP-Fowler-TDC-2022.jpeg

TDC Big Texas BBQ Cookoff Flyer 2022.pdf 695 kB · 8 downloads 2022 BBQ Sponsorship Package.pdf 492.92 kB · 4 downloads

Couple of changes to this since I posted originally. We've pushed the date to 5/21 due to our original date being on Easter. We were getting too much pushback from longtime attendees that said they couldn't make it Easter weekend. Same deal as before, though tickets are $50 and include booze. We snagged a title sponsor for the first time ever too, so that validated the date change right there. We also lost Kevin Fowler who was unable to perform on the new date so we're rolling with Texas legend Gary P Nunn as headliner.

• Like 1

My wife's office is right there at Spring Valley/Midway and drove by it this weekend. They were serving something this weekend. It's right next to Odd Muse, which I hear is a pretty good little brewery.

Correction, she said she saw the smoker going Saturday afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
crossbuck.thumb.jpg.f2ab7c199f7fea3f145438267086dbfe.jpg

Went tonight. I was not impressed at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Less than three weeks until the Touchdown Club of Dallas' Big Texas BBQ at Fair Park/Cotton Bowl that I am serving as chairman for in 2022. We moved the event to 5/21 due to complications to having it on Easter weekend.

Here's the deal -- $50 general admission ticket includes open bar ALL DAY LONG, doors open at 10 AM, live music starts at 11 AM, Gary P Nunn headlines and is expected to go on around 6:30 or 7. Fletcher's will be on hand selling corny dogs. Tootsie Tomanetz and Daniel Vaughn headline our celebrity judges panel. Adult beverages provided by Ben E Keith, Tito's, Treaty Oak and Osadia, etc. Should be a lot of fun -- and supports a great cause, the Ashford Rise School of Dallas.

We'll also be selling a limited number Gary P Nunn-signed copies of the event poster. I'll have more details on that as we get closer.

image.thumb.jpeg.32c6aaae0c39ac508c59f8a7540652a6.jpeg

• Like 1

Of all the places they could have picked for this.  Never been to Smokey John's but my BBQ group has never been impressed by them.  Pecan Lodge hasn't been good in a while. 

Smokey John’s was on that restaurant rescue show with the Raisin Cane’s Chicken CEO. I tried once when I went to Blues Burgers in the same parking lot. The brisket and sausage were average; somewhat dry.

On the other hand, if you’re in that area Blues Burgers, is really good. Great burgers and fries. I’d eat there once a week if I lived over there.

Reminder that our charity Big Texas BBQ is this Saturday at Fair Park/Cotton Bowl. C'mon down and help us support the Ashford Rise School of Dallas.

Doors open at 10 AM, live music starts at 11. Kids Zone with bounce houses and face painting starts at 12. Gary P. Nunn will play around 6:45 or 7.

General admission tickets are $50 and includes open bar all day long. Under-21 does not require a ticket.

Tootsie, Daniel Vaughn, Kent Rathbun, Doug Pickering, Marshall Prichard, Jeffrey Hobbs and Jack Perkins will serve as celebrity judges.

Fletcher's will be selling corny dogs and Lemon Chills from 1-5.

We're also selling a limited number of nice silkscreen prints of the poster for $150 -- it's a donation to the school. We are only printing 250 and each will be personally signed by Gary P. Nunn and the artist Morgan Avery.

I'm the chairman for this year and we'd love all the support we can get for a successful event.

Looks like we could some glorious weather after a few really hot days in a row!

BIG-TEXAS-BBQ-2022-Social-Post---updated.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, C-Man said:

Reminder that our charity Big Texas BBQ is this Saturday at Fair Park/Cotton Bowl. C'mon down and help us support the Ashford Rise School of Dallas.

Doors open at 10 AM, live music starts at 11. Kids Zone with bounce houses and face painting starts at 12. Gary P. Nunn will play around 6:45 or 7.

General admission tickets are $50 and includes open bar all day long. Under-21 does not require a ticket.

Tootsie, Daniel Vaughn, Kent Rathbun, Doug Pickering, Marshall Prichard, Jeffrey Hobbs and Jack Perkins will serve as celebrity judges.

Fletcher's will be selling corny dogs and Lemon Chills from 1-5.

We're also selling a limited number of nice silkscreen prints of the poster for $150 -- it's a donation to the school. We are only printing 250 and each will be personally signed by Gary P. Nunn and the artist Morgan Avery.

I'm the chairman for this year and we'd love all the support we can get for a successful event.

Looks like we could some glorious weather after a few really hot days in a row!

BIG-TEXAS-BBQ-2022-Social-Post---updated.jpg

Sorry I missed this.  Did you happen to catch Bandolero?  Those guys are all buddies of mine.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sorry I missed this.  Did you happen to catch Bandolero?  Those guys are all buddies of mine.

Yeah, they were great. Got to know Paul leading into the event and they were fantastic that afternoon. We just went and saw them at Barley House Sunday before last too. Paul is moving to Austin to work for UT.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, they were great. Got to know Paul leading into the event and they were fantastic that afternoon. We just went and saw them at Barley House Sunday before last too. Paul is moving to Austin to work for UT.

Hah.  Paul is one of the only members I don't know.  Friends with Rick (he lives 2 doors down from me), Brad, and Colin. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Hah.  Paul is one of the only members I don't know.  Friends with Rick (he lives 2 doors down from me), Brad, and Colin. 

I guarantee we have a bunch of friends in common as a bunch of guys I run around with over there east of 75 know the band really well too.

Oh, and I love NY Subs Ana appreciate them keep Peggy Sue’s name alive. I also think their Peggy Sue’s bbq is better than the OG place but check out these prices on the meat they just started offering “cooked” and hot (not Food Savered and cold) the last week or so:

cbf333c7219d51a350f5df09480ffd01.jpg

$34/lb for brisket???? That’s more than Interstellar and Snow’s, which I ate the last two Saturdays and is 2 cents more than Terry Black’s.

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Oh, and I love NY Subs Ana appreciate them keep Peggy Sue’s name alive. I also think their Peggy Sue’s bbq is better than the OG place but check out these prices on the meat they just started offering “cooked” and hot (not Food Savered and cold) the last week or so:

$34/lb for brisket???? That’s more than Interstellar and Snow’s, which I ate the last two Saturdays and is 2 cents more than Terry Black’s. emoji15.png

Rent in Snyder Plaza ain’t cheap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

$34/lb for brisket???? That’s more than Interstellar and Snow’s, which I ate the last two Saturdays and is 2 cents more than Terry Black’s. emoji15.png

You don't want to go to The Douglas then (which actually is in Snider Plaza). Their brisket is $44/lb...pulled pork $36/lb...sausage $32/lb

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, but the Peggy Sue’s thing is a side hustle — and that’s not really Snider Plaza. emoji6.png

Miscommunication.  I thought you were talking about The Douglas.  I couldn’t think of the name and just assumed that’s what you were talking about.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You don't want to go to The Douglas then (which actually is in Snider Plaza). Their brisket is $44/lb...pulled pork $36/lb...sausage $32/lb

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Miscommunication.  I thought you were talking about The Douglas.  I couldn’t think of the name and just assumed that’s what you were talking about.

I know Pickering through our BBQ Cook-Off. Not sure I'd say we're friends but acquaintances, at least. He seems like a pretty good dude. Isn't he trying for something a little more elevated with The Douglas? I do want to try this burger:

douglas.jpeg

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I know Pickering through our BBQ Cook-Off. Not sure I'd say we're friends but acquaintances, at least. He seems like a pretty good dude. Isn't he trying for something a little more elevated with The Douglas? I do want to try this burger:

douglas.jpeg

Yeah it’s “elevated” I guess. Steakhouse by night, BBQ during the day.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, TexasGary said:

crossbuck.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, C-Man said:

Went tonight. I was not impressed at all.

I just saw this. Please tell me the "on point" brisket is not pictured. Or is that front middle thing the brisket? What the hell am I seeing here? Does not compute. Either my sarcasm meter is broken or your definition of "on point/really good" and mine are two very different things. Not one thing in that picture looks "on point or really good" to me.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I just saw this. Please tell me the "on point" brisket is not pictured. Or is that front middle thing the brisket? What the hell am I seeing here? Does not compute. Either my sarcasm meter is broken or your definition of "on point/really good" and mine are two very different things. Not one thing in that picture looks "on point or really good" to me.

Listen to my review -- it's not worth your time. Odd Muse, across the parking lot, OTOH is really good.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:31 PM, C-Man said:

Going to Loro tonight -- anything I should know before going? Anything I can't miss? Sounds like the wonton chips and salsa and the corn fritters are wonderful.

How was it?  We went to the OG in South Austin last month and it was excellent.  Much better experience than my last visit to the Dallas location a few months back (less crowded, service was more responsive, etc.)

Wondering if things have improved since the novelty has worn off.  We were at EBar last night and when we drove past on our way home it didn't look as crazy crowded as it has in the past.  Will give it another try soon.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

How was it?  We went to the OG in South Austin last month and it was excellent.  Much better experience than my last visit to the Dallas location a few months back (less crowded, service was more responsive, etc.)

Wondering if things have improved since the novelty has worn off.  We were at EBar last night and when we drove past on our way home it didn't look as crazy crowded as it has in the past.  Will give it another try soon.

Similar here on seeing it fairly chill looking. Parking lot not packed. Imagine the bullshit heat cuts down on some since it all but eliminates outside seatin 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:07 PM, DDD Dad said:

It was pretty good. I was getting over a bit of a minor gastro issue so I'd like to go back when I'm at the top of consumption game but it was good.

Just now, C-Man said:

It was pretty good. I was getting over a bit of a minor gastro issue so I'd like to go back when I'm at the top of consumption game but it was good.

Ran into my neighbor Rick (the guitarist) this morning. He was wearing his Bandolero t shirt. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Is this the same Meshacks people that had the small place they was only to go in garland for years? I used to love that place

It has to be him or one of his kids decided to go solo.

edited to add:  from that shack in Garland to setting up inside a CM is a pretty big contrast in locations. 

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 1