Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

2 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

It's priced like craft bbq, but the quality of the food is more akin to a franchise like Rudy's. Their brisket is really good, their ribs are average to above average, their sides are good. Their chicken quarters are smallish, but decent. Not a fan of the sausage, very rubbery. 

Overall, I visit there occasionally but the price keeps me from going more often, even though it's convenient. It's good, but I'd rather go elsewhere (Goldee's, Cattleack) if I'm in the mood for a great bbq experience. Picking up something after work for a quick dinner, it's perfect.

But Rudy's is better, and that's what I'd compare it to. The all you can eat special sounds like it would be worth it.  Go try it and see what you think, it's  worth a try. 

FYI, Texas Monthly put the Bryant Irvin location on it's Honorable Mention list from the top 50 issue in the 2017 timeframe, so there's that. 

It's out of the way for me, but I do want to try it just for the value alone. Sucks to hear about ribs and sausage being subpar as those are my favorites. Rudy's has bad ribs IMO and the sausage is just passable. So if you are saying those are better than Cousins, I am not excited about it.

28 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's out of the way for me, but I do want to try it just for the value alone. Sucks to hear about ribs and sausage being subpar as those are my favorites. Rudy's has bad ribs IMO and the sausage is just passable. So if you are saying those are better than Cousins, I am not excited about it.

Yeah, I'd say Rudy's baby back ribs are better than Cousin's. Their regular ribs are not that good and on par with Cousin's. Sausage is about the same, Cousin's is more rubbery. 

AYCE at Cousin's makes it worth a try. 

I'm excited about Goldee's new Ribee's venture. Love everything at that place. Can't wait to have something closer in FW for good ribs.

Had a pork steak sandwich at the Bodacious BBQ in Hallsville, TX two weeks ago. Daniel Vaughn had mentioned that a while back in one of his writings. Really good entry. 175 miles east of FW is quite the drive though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Went to Slowbone yesterday for their Thursday special "Mexique" which was pretty damn good.  Huge homemade flour tortillas stuffed with brisket, sausage and turkey, served with salsas, guac, cilantro/onions.  I will be back next Thursday it was that excellent.  One of them was big enough for a lunch but I knocked down 2.  Is a great combo of tacos/bbq and one of the best lunches I've had in a while.

• Like 2

Went to Slowbone yesterday for their Thursday special "Mexique" which was pretty damn good.  Huge homemade flour tortillas stuffed with brisket, sausage and turkey, served with salsas, guac, cilantro/onions.  I will be back next Thursday it was that excellent.  One of them was big enough for a lunch but I knocked down 2.  Is a great combo of tacos/bbq and one of the best lunches I've had in a while.

Good to know. Hobbs is a great guy.

Had to go over to Funkytown last night for a work deal at The Drover. Hit up Panther City on my way back this afternoon. First time to go there since they took over the bar spot next door. Pretty solid though I don’t remember the brisket elotes being that salty-tasting the last time.

b64128aea1f5c9736fae79bade787a3e.jpg

8be7e006cee67d02ac200cc666918dbb.jpg

On 1/19/2024 at 3:56 PM, C-Man said:

Had to go over to Funkytown last night for a work deal at The Drover. Hit up Panther City on my way back this afternoon. First time to go there since they took over the bar spot next door. Pretty solid though I don’t remember the brisket elotes being that salty-tasting the last time.

b64128aea1f5c9736fae79bade787a3e.jpg

8be7e006cee67d02ac200cc666918dbb.jpg

brisket looks legit

• 5 weeks later...

About a month away from our annual Big Texas BBQ. This will be our 10th Annual event.

https://tdclubdallas.org/event/big-texas-bbq-2023/ (the link is current even if it shows 2023 here)

Saturday, March 23rd at the Cotton Bowl Plaza. Celeb judges include Tootsie Tomanetz, Daniel Vaughn, Jeffrey Hobbs, Jack Perkins, Doug Pickering, Marshall Prichard.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, C-Man said:

About a month away from our annual Big Texas BBQ. This will be our 10th Annual event.

https://tdclubdallas.org/event/big-texas-bbq-2023/ (the link is current even if it shows 2023 here)

Saturday, March 23rd at the Cotton Bowl Plaza. Celeb judges include Tootsie Tomanetz, Daniel Vaughn, Jeffrey Hobbs, Jack Perkins, Doug Pickering, Marshall Prichard.

Let me add that the $10 ticket not only gets you in the door but also includes UNLIMITED adult beverages provided by Ben E Keith and various other local booze distributors. Most teams will be handing out samples throughout the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had lunch with a legend today at Douglas.

d44c1781568d902580dfbc1c97b76149.jpg

7b18820dfef84738b414b851ee7e78aa.jpg

Shameless plug that our 10th Annual Big Texas BBQ is tomorrow at the Cotton Bowl Plaza. Doors open at 10am. Goes until 5. Lots of food and all-you-can-drink beverages by Ben E Keith. Can buy tickets at the door. Enter/park at Gate 5.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

BTW, Douglas is closing at the end of this week. Doug Pickering is a friend of mine and is very friendly to the TDC and our BBQ event. I don't the concept was right for Snider Plaza as it was pretty expensive and that's more of a family dining scene there. Also, the parking is terrible. The BBQ was excellent, as was the burger (spendy, though). We went for my 50th birthday dinner a few years back with my in-laws and while I enjoyed it, I thought the steak could've been better (for the price). Felt it was too smoky.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:47 AM, C-Man said:

BTW, Douglas is closing at the end of this week. Doug Pickering is a friend of mine and is very friendly to the TDC and our BBQ event. I don't the concept was right for Snider Plaza as it was pretty expensive and that's more of a family dining scene there. Also, the parking is terrible. The BBQ was excellent, as was the burger (spendy, though). We went for my 50th birthday dinner a few years back with my in-laws and while I enjoyed it, I thought the steak could've been better (for the price). Felt it was too smoky.

Fuck, really? Was gonna try it next time I was in town