Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

If in the Dallas area, head east past Rockwall on Hwy 276 and FM 549 to Sessions BBQ. He has a new, bigger trailer and smoker to keep up with demand. Great central Texas style brisket and similar Lockhart spiced beef sausage. I haven't been disappointed yet in anything I've had there.
Stopped by on Friday with one of my girls for a quick bite and it was on point again. 705ed53d4b35ac2f5a8b83df350216c4.jpg29616617fa17c074596110fce9891eaa.jpg

Had some Hard 8 alongside Big Jack’s and I gotta say that Big Jack’s came away the winner. The Hard 8 brisket slices were thick af and too fatty for my taste, while BJ’s hit home. We preferred the ribs for H8 a bit more however, and their sides were solid, so I’ll def give it another go.

1d30c444a3be34f3057aa046a7209504.jpg

9 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

I’m inclined to believe Both Tacos as the place does get great reviews. 

See post #131 on previous page.  Great reviews.  Some of the worst shit I’ve ever had.  I’m convinced more than ever that most people wouldn’t know good BBQ if it kicked them in the balls (not saying Both Tacos is that guy)

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

What do yall think about Smoky Rose? The atmosphere is annoyingly pretentious but I've been dragged there a couple times and actually had some pretty damn good food. 

For "up scale BBQ" or wev the fuck you want to call it they make some pretty good meats.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

What do yall think about Smoky Rose? The atmosphere is annoyingly pretentious but I've been dragged there a couple times and actually had some pretty damn good food. 

For "up scale BBQ" or wev the fuck you want to call it they make some pretty good meats.

It ain't bad. They're trying to cook their meats the right way. Doug Pickering was there for awhile as their pitmaster and he seems to know what he's doing. He's the owner over at Ferris Wheelers now. Food is pretty good there though the service out on the back patio when they're busy is excruciatingly bad. Really good ribs.

It ain't bad. They're trying to cook their meats the right way. Doug Pickering was there for awhile as their pitmaster and he seems to know what he's doing. He's the owner over at Ferris Wheelers now. Food is pretty good there though the service out on the back patio when they're busy is excruciatingly bad. Really good ribs.

I went once not long after it opened. Super expensive and terrible service. Have not been back even though it’s probably within a mile from my house.

Happy to hear others like it as I prefer local businesses over chains.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:38 PM, DDD Dad said:

I went once not long after it opened. Super expensive and terrible service. Have not been back even though it’s probably within a mile from my house.

Happy to hear others like it as I prefer local businesses over chains.

Just to clarify — first two sentences are about Smoky Rose and the rest are about Ferris Wheelers.

At Smoke Sessions right now as it’s a nice day and I was tired of watching football.

-Brisket->Meh.. Not as bad as it looked in that photo but nothing noteworthy. Over cooked/dry.

-Pulled Pork-> probably the best thing I’ve had here. Their sauce is very North Carolina style so it pairs well.

-Turkey-> Not terrible but again, slightly overdone.

-Mac and cheese-> Good, not great.

-Beans-> pretty good with decent size chunks of brisket.

Overall, probably not a bad option if you live Rockwall or Royse City but certainly not destination ‘cue.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:38 PM, DDD Dad said:

What do you think of Lakewood Smokehouse?

And that's nice about the mac and cheese, @RiceOwl. If you go to a BBQ place for the mac and cheese I'm assuming you are a dumb broad or a 12 year old.

Not hating on your review, just maintaining some Texas BBQ integrity here.

Edited by ztejas

And that's nice about the mac and cheese, [mention=2784]RiceOwl[/mention]. If you go to a BBQ place for the mac and cheese I'm assuming you are a dumb broad or a 12 year old.

Have only been there once too. It’s even closer to my house.

Wife was there with friends and I just nibbled off their plates (I showed up late). I love the concept and the location but what I had just disappointed. The sides were all salty messes, and the only meat that was left was burnt ends. I keep meaning to give it a fair try but it’s just not a place I think to go.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

And that's nice about the mac and cheese, @RiceOwl. If you go to a BBQ place for the mac and cheese I'm assuming you are a dumb broad or a 12 year old.

If the mac and cheese and pulled pork are the only 2 decent things on the menu, I’d say that’s more of a reflection on the place than the reviewer.

15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

If the mac and cheese and pulled pork are the only 2 decent things on the menu, I’d say that’s more of a reflection on the place than the reviewer.

I was just posting everything I ate... 

They also were sold out of some kind of spicy beef sausage so maybe that’s what they’re known for? 

Anyhow, I probably won’t be back to try it.

23 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

I was just posting everything I ate... 

They also were sold out of some kind of spicy beef sausage so maybe that’s what they’re known for? 

Anyhow, I probably won’t be back to try it.

Yeah between the pics and your review and given you have to drive half way to Louisiana to get it, I don’t think I’ll be trying it either.

What time do I need to get to Pecan Lodge next Saturday?

I assume you see the hours for Saturdays. They don’t close after lunch like on other days. So I don’t think there is any risk of selling out during the day (perhaps later at night). Show up whenever you want and remember you can sit at the bar and order right away if there is an empty seat.

14 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I assume you see the hours for Saturdays. They don’t close after lunch like on other days. So I don’t think there is any risk of selling out during the day (perhaps later at night). Show up whenever you want and remember you can sit at the bar and order right away if there is an empty seat.

This.  Although the later in the day you get, the quality drops  from my experience.  And aside from the bar, don’t sleep on the bulk order counter.  Get a trough and have some leftovers.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, C-Man said:

he was the guy who was cooking at Luck in Deep Ellum a couple of years ago, right? 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, Landomatic said:

Mrs Landomatic and I tried Louie King on Greenville for lunch today.  Had high hopes given some of the reviews I've seen and some of the pics on social media.  Also heard he was a former pit master at Lockhart or PL or some such.  Pretty cool space and location.  Served on a sheet of paper on a tray.  Cans of beer.  Seemed promising.

Um, yeah...this shit was awful.  Not even worth going into too many details, just total dog shit from top to bottom.  Sausage and Brisket were mush.  Ribs were dry as fuck.  Most of it was cold.  Needed tons of sauce to even choke it down.  Wife's turkey and mac and cheese (not pictured) were okay but turkey was cold.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say give me Dickies over this place.

erUaxM.pngThe first time i had BBQ from Fleischman when he was at Lockhart Smokehouse he was one of the worst cutters I have ever seen. I thought that he was some runner who got pulled into cutting because someone called in sick - then had someone tell me that guy was the pitmaster there.

The fatty brisket was literally some of the worst brisket i have ever had. this was the result of cutting out the inedible fat out of a .5 lb order of fatty brisket. just posting a link because it is gross and was completely inedible 

https://vgy.me/erUaxM.png

I was excited to see what that place had until I heard he was involved. 

---

edit: after a quick google it appears he is no longer therehttps://escapehatchdallas.com/2019/01/bbq-pitmaster-will-fleischman-has-exited-louie-king-bbq-but-the-brisket-and-ribs-are-still-mighty-fine/

But when we popped in recently, the counter guys told us that the bearded Fleischman has left long ago, shortly after the restaurant opened. We sighed.

Edited by NoName

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go tonight?  I've got a a friend in from England who has requested bbq.  He's spoiled to the fact that he's been to Cattleack, Lockhart, and PL on previous trips.  I would rank those as my top 3 that I've had in the metroplex (besides maybe Hutchins).  Any recommendations for a new place we should try?  I was thinking Ferris Wheeler's, but not sure as I haven't seen too many reviews.  He's staying in the galleria area if that helps. Is f

Thanks  

Edited by DallasHorn26

On 1/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Landomatic said:

This.  Although the later in the day you get, the quality drops  from my experience.  And aside from the bar, don’t sleep on the bulk order counter.  Get a trough and have some leftovers.

Yea there will be 3-4 of us so this will probably be the move. Thanks y'all.

48 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to go tonight?  I've got a a friend in from England who has requested bbq.  He's spoiled to the fact that he's been to Cattleack, Lockhart, and PL on previous trips.  I would rank those as my top 3 that I've had in the metroplex (besides maybe Hutchins).  Any recommendations for a new place we should try?  I was thinking Ferris Wheeler's, but not sure as I haven't seen too many reviews.  He's staying in the galleria area if that helps. Is f

Thanks  

Ten50 is pretty good imo and prob 10 mins from the Galleria. 

Get some of the brisket torpedoes if you go. They are sinful. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ten50 is pretty good imo and prob 10 mins from the Galleria. 

Get some of the brisket torpedoes if you go. They are sinful. 

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yep Ten50 is a solid rec

Thanks.  I've taken him there before too and it's always solid.  Will probably stick with that.  Just making sure there wasn't something else we're missing out on.

Just now, DallasHorn26 said:

Thanks.  I've taken him there before too and it's always solid.  Will probably stick with that.  Just making sure there wasn't something else we're missing out on.

I can't think of anything. Sounds like you've hit most of them at this point. 

You can always convince him to go for good Mexican if you're BBQed out (if that's even possible). 

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Thanks  

Well, you couldn't be much closer to Callleack and that's by far the best so if you're will to repeat, go there.  If not, maybe try Slow Bone.  It's only about 15 minutes from there and seems like the next logical choice that isn't on his list.  I'd guess it's better than Ferris Wheeler's and similarly located.  I haven't been to Ferris Wheeler's but @C-Man can probably weigh in with authority.  

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, you couldn't be much closer to Callleack and that's by far the best so if you're will to repeat, go there.  If not, maybe try Slow Bone.  It's only about 15 minutes from there and seems like the next logical choice that isn't on his list.  I'd guess it's better than Ferris Wheeler's and similarly located.  I haven't been to Ferris Wheeler's but @C-Man can probably weigh in with authority.  

I'd definitely repeat Cattelack, but he's leaving Wednesday. I was looking for something for tonight.

44 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

33 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I'd definitely repeat Cattelack, but he's leaving Wednesday. I was looking for something for tonight.

21 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I've been to Ferris Wheeler's.  It was a few weeks after they opened so I almost don't want to comment (I left my thoughts on Shaggy originally).  The beans and hand breaded okra are delicious.  It was obvious the beans had spent a fair amount of time in the smoker.

That's all I got.

21 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Dinner? Aren't ferris wheelers and ten50 going to be the only options?

Yes, you won't have many options on a Monday night. You could take him to the Smokey Rose but they're trying to be a whole lot more than just BBQ. If you go with the flow, it's a cool spot. Some people just abhor it. And it's too cold to sit outside -- at least for this Texan.

Ferris Wheeler's has terrific ribs -- at least the last time I was there it did. The 'cue is pretty solid but the service on the weekends is abysmal, at least on the back patio. But it's a good spot. I wanted to love Slow Bone as I think the world of Jack Perkins. It's definitely good but the meat had too much smoke the times I went IMO. He's no longer involved and I've only been back once since Jack sold it. Another idea is Peggy Sue's in Snider Plaza. They've totally revamped the place and the food (former Pecan Lodge assistant pitmaster moved there) is much improved over what it was like previously. @mdleast will back me up on this as he went recently. You could always also go to the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood. Food is OK but it's not a bad place to check off the list. Do NOT go to that Babb Brother's abortion over in Trinity Groves. Just fucking terrible.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yes, you won't have many options on a Monday night. You could take him to the Smokey Rose but they're trying to be a whole lot more than just BBQ. If you go with the flow, it's a cool spot. Some people just abhor it. And it's too cold to sit outside -- at least for this Texan.

Ferris Wheeler's has terrific ribs -- at least the last time I was there it did. The 'cue is pretty solid but the service on the weekends is abysmal, at least on the back patio. But it's a good spot. I wanted to love Slow Bone as I think the world of Jack Perkins. It's definitely good but the meat had too much smoke the times I went IMO. He's no longer involved and I've only been back once since Jack sold it. Another idea is Peggy Sue's in Snider Plaza. They've totally revamped the place and the food (former Pecan Lodge assistant pitmaster moved there) is much improved over what it was like previously. @mdleast will back me up on this as he went recently. You could always also go to the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood. Food is OK but it's not a bad place to check off the list. Do NOT go to that Babb Brother's abortion over in Trinity Groves. Just fucking terrible.

Peggy Sue's would be fun. Y'all could check out SMU and Snider Plaza if he's never been in that neck of the woods - much cooler location than the access road of 75 in Richardson. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Peggy Sue's would be fun. Y'all could check out SMU and Snider Plaza if he's never been in that neck of the woods - much cooler location than the access road of 75 in Richardson. 

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Thanks.  I'm kinda feeling something different, Peggy Sue's feels like it may be a good choice.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Do NOT go to that Babb Brother's abortion over in Trinity Groves. Just fucking terrible.

And do NOT go to 18th and Vine or Louie Kings.  Also fucking terrible.

I also wouldn't waste his time at Sonny Bryan's personally.  I'd call it more of a "not bad in a pinch if you live nearby" type of place than somewhere I'd take an out of country guest who's had the good stuff.  It's kind of just a tick better than Dicky's from my experiences.

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Good call...report back.  And if it sucks, you can walk him across the parking lot to Banditos for some great Tex Mex.

I love Bandito's. I've spent a lot of money in there over the years. It's good -- not great -- but somebody from England won't know any better. Great little bar area and knock-you-off-your-seat-if-you-aren't-careful frozen margaritas.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I love Bandito's. I've spent a lot of money in there over the years. It's good -- not great -- but somebody from England won't know any better. Great little bar area and knock-you-off-your-seat-if-you-aren't-careful frozen margaritas.

Hits close to home.

Come to think of it, that happened to me after the SMU / TCU game I went to last year.  I doubt it had anything to do with all the beer consumed at the tailgate, though.  @Zepol87 may be able to confirm or deny the tailgate part.

I had no business diving into frozen margaritas after that day.  Mrs landomatic was thrilled.  Good times.

Edited by Landomatic

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Hits close to home.

Come to think of it, that happened to me after the SMU / TCU game I went to last year.  I doubt it had anything to do with all the beer consumed at the tailgate, though.  @Zepol87 may be able to confirm or deny the tailgate part.

I had no business diving into frozen margaritas after that day.  Mrs landomatic was thrilled.  Good times.

lol that storm made us consume a shit ton more alcohol that we originally planned