Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

I've never had Heims, but Hutchins was..."pretty good, not great" whenever I've had it (twice).  So, if they're equal, then of course give me the cheaper all you can eat version.  I was assuming Heim was on Cattleack or PL level, which Hutchins was not when I tried it.

The portions at Heims were really small per the price.  I'd have to eat some $30-$40 worth to get full and I'm not that big of an eater.  I guess I should have had a disclaimer.  A lot of good BBQ for $20 over very small portions at $40.  Hutchins has always come through for me.

The portions at Heims were really small per the price.  I'd have to eat some $30-$40 worth to get full and I'm not that big of an eater.  I guess I should have had a disclaimer.  A lot of good BBQ for $20 over very small portions at $40.  Hutchins has always come through for me.
And the nanner pudding or peach cobbler with ice cream.....all you can eat dessert is always a pleasant finishing touch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just now, Both Tacos said:

And the nanner pudding or peach cobbler with ice cream.....all you can eat dessert is always a pleasant finishing touch.

Lol.  I've never made it that far.  Something about that 2nd helping of brisket and ribs...

Lol.  I've never made it that far.  Something about that 2nd helping of brisket and ribs...
It's a struggle, but you just have to fight through it.
Actually I normally get the 2 meat plate (at least that's when they offered meat plates) and finished it off with dessert.

• Like 1

I get there are different taste for all. 

1st criteria of TX bbq is crust on brisket. Hutchins is awesome. Never had Franklin's so no comparison. 2nd is pork ribs. Hutchins is good St.Louis cut with a small crust. 

Any other criteria is bullshit. Sides no matter how good is dressing a pig. Something you don't do in Texas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

I get there are different taste for all. 

1st criteria of TX bbq is crust on brisket. Hutchins is awesome. Never had Franklin's so no comparison. 2nd is pork ribs. Hutchins is good St.Louis cut with a small crust. 

Any other criteria is bullshit. Sides no matter how good is dressing a pig. Something you don't do in Texas. 

With you on the sides part.  Why waste the room?

Not sure about the Hutchins being all that awesome part though.  It ranks pretty well below Cattleack and Pecan Lodge...and even slightly below Lockhart on their good days.  They're maaaaaaaybe tied for third in the Dallas area from what I can tell.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

portions?  not ordering by the pound?

Not sure about the Hutchins being all that awesome part though.  It ranks pretty well below Cattleack and Pecan Lodge...and even slightly below Lockhart on their good days.  They're maaaaaaaybe tied for third in the Dallas area from what I can tell.

Count me in the Hutchins as “meh” crowd. It’s good but it’s not worth a special trip to eat there. Not with PL just down the street.
  • Like 1

Luck of the draw I guess.  The best I've had from Hutchins can hang with anything I've had anywhere (Franklin virgin here).  But I've been lucky enough to work with them on a couple of events where they basically fed me pieces of the point until I was sick.  Rendered beyond perfect. 

Their sausage is amazing too.

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I've never had Heims, but Hutchins was..."pretty good, not great" whenever I've had it (twice).  So, if they're equal, then of course give me the cheaper all you can eat version.  I was assuming Heim was on Cattleack or PL level, which Hutchins was not when I tried it.

Oh, no. 

Heim is good, but it isn't *THAT* good. 

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I would argue that it is Cattleack is on a tier of it's own, then a pretty good sized drop, then PL, BBQ on the Brazos (grossly underrated), then a small drop, then Hutchins then another drop then basically everyone else. 

I was curious but Vaughn's ratings for those places are as follows:

• Cattleack: 4.75 (#3 overall)
  • Hutchins: 4.5
  • Pecan Lodge: 4.25
  • BBQ on the Brazos: 4.25

Edited by NoName

5 hours ago, threesheets said:

Luck of the draw I guess.  The best I've had from Hutchins can hang with anything I've had anywhere (Franklin virgin here).  But I've been lucky enough to work with them on a couple of events where they basically fed me pieces of the point until I was sick.  Rendered beyond perfect. 

Their sausage is amazing too.

Is it possible they're serving competition level BBQ at events and something sub-par to the masses in their restaurant out in the burbs, most of whom wouldn't know any better as all most of them have to compare it to is Dicky's level?

I was at a place a while back that is on the Texas Top 50 list and I overheard the owner/pitmaster admitting just that to a table of patrons he was sitting with (I don't want to name it as I think he might post on this site).  He was going on and on about how Franklin has done great things for Texas BBQ but that Aaron's food isn't any better than what this guy makes for his competitions.  He was pretty well decorated on the competition circuit according to the awards all over the walls.  But he was essentially saying that what he was serving in his restaurant is a notch below what he competes with and that what he competes with (and I assume got his Top 50 ranking with) is Franklin level.  Said he just can't justify that level every day for no bigger than his customer base is and crowds are.  It was interesting and made sense from an economics standpoint.  Also helped explain why the BBQ I was eating wasn't all that great.

Not saying that's the deal with Hutchins, but it might be.  Would explain why such a disparagement between experiences, which I've found to be the case a lot, not just among a couple posters here. 

@Landomatic- yeah, there could definitely be something to that.  And who could really blame them, as long is the difference is negligible.  I need to go back and get some brisket.  Last couple of times I've just run in and gotten Texas Twinkies and sausage to eat on the run.  BBQ is a low carb eater's best friend.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I was at a place a while back that is on the Texas Top 50 list and I overheard the owner/pitmaster admitting just that to a table of patrons he was sitting with (I don't want to name it as I think he might post on this site).  He was going on and on about how Franklin has done great things for Texas BBQ but that Aaron's food isn't any better than what this guy makes for his competitions.  He was pretty well decorated on the competition circuit according to the awards all over the walls.  But he was essentially saying that what he was serving in his restaurant is a notch below what he competes with and that what he competes with (and I assume got his Top 50 ranking with) is Franklin level.  Said he just can't justify that level every day for no bigger than his customer base is and crowds are.  It was interesting and made sense from an economics standpoint.  Also helped explain why the BBQ I was eating wasn't all that great.

that is literally one of the things that is most impressive about Franklin entirely to me. They cook a shitload of BBQ and it is consistently amazing. Based on this eater article from 2016, they were cooking 10,662 pound of brisket per week and they were turning out really fantastic BBQ. Grade A stuff. They put out extremely high quality BBQ on a scale that puts them in the top what? 3-5% of all BBQ places in Texas 6 days a week. And no, that isn't a shot at Snows. I love Snows, but if time is no object I am going to Franklins like 99/100 times. 

You can complain about the line, if it is worth it, whatever you want - but to sit there and talk shit saying you can do just as well...when you aren't...is hilarious to me.

Look at two top 10 spots in small(er) towns - Truth pumps out amazing BBQ in a town of 16,000. Evie Mae's is in a town of like 5,000.

Evie Mae's and Truth are both at like 20/lb for brisket. I think Bodacious in Longview is at like 21? and it is in an area that doesn't exactly get a ton of walk in traffic willing to pay it. You think there are people in those towns that are happy to pay that much? naw. but they still put out fantastic BBQ. 

The number of places that are going to *actually* struggle with this due to their town sizes are going to be people open multiple days per week in tiny towns like Jefferson (Joseph's Riverport is open 6 days a week in a town of less than 2,000 people), Cresson (BBQ on the Brazos, 875), Hearne (Blue Moon, pop of like 4,500), Pecos (Pody's, less than 10,000 plus in the middle of nowhere) or even Flores (which was in Whitney, like 2000 but moved.) You don't hear Jordan Jefferson bitching about it in a town of like 6500 at Bodacious Gladwater. 

I really hope it wasn't any of those dudes. 

Breaking news, making a couple of really good briskets isn't impossible. You can do it if that is all you are focusing on - but making really good brisket consistently and making it in large quantities is really fucking hard. 

Sorry for the book, but man. What a lazy ass. Now I want to know who it was so I don't go there anymore. 

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Is it possible they're serving competition level BBQ at events and something sub-par to the masses in their restaurant out in the burbs, most of whom wouldn't know any better as all most of them have to compare it to is Dicky's level?

Not saying that's the deal with Hutchins, but it might be.  Would explain why such a disparagement between experiences, which I've found to be the case a lot, not just among a couple posters here. 

Yeah, they're not getting TM-rankings based off competition turn-in meat. Not to mention you do all kinds of things in comp you'd never do in a restaurant setting. What Franklin does -- on that scale -- is nothing short of amazing. This guy you overheard is NOT on Franklin's level if he can't reach that every single day in a restaurant setting.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

Oh, no. 

Heim is good, but it isn't *THAT* good. 

I would argue that it is Cattleack is on a tier of it's own, then a pretty good sized drop, then PL, BBQ on the Brazos (grossly underrated), then a small drop, then Hutchins then another drop then basically everyone else. 

I was curious but Vaughn's ratings for those places are as follows:

• Cattleack: 4.75 (#3 overall)
  • Hutchins: 4.5
  • Pecan Lodge: 4.25
  • BBQ on the Brazos: 4.25

Sounds like Panther City might be #2 in DFW nowadays. I *need* to get over there and check it out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like Panther City might be #2 in DFW nowadays. I *need* to get over there and check it out.

that is really high praise coming from you!

I am super excited about Goldee's BBQ - the new spot in FW from Dylan Taylor (Terry Black, la BBQ, Truth and has taken a short time at a ton of other top joints in TX recently), Lane Milne (worked with Evan LeRoy, Micklethwait) and Jonny White (Valentinas, Franklin) 

Incredibly excited about them opening - were shooting for May but not sure if it is still the goal. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

that is really high praise coming from you!

I am super excited about Goldee's BBQ - the new spot in FW from Dylan Taylor (Terry Black, la BBQ, Truth and has taken a short time at a ton of other top joints in TX recently), Lane Milne (worked with Evan LeRoy, Micklethwait) and Jonny White (Valentinas, Franklin) 

Incredibly excited about them opening - were shooting for May but not sure if it is still the goal. 

Flores is in the process from moving from Whitney to FW too. Cowtown's BBQ scene is taking a big step forward.

(BTW, I hit Lewis BBQ this weekend in Charleston and it's still fucking amazeballs. Unfortunately, they were out of the Sunday special CFS, though.)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We live in Richardson so this is near some places we eat at frequently.

I was not impressed.

I thought it was pretty good.  Again, I'd like to remind those on this thread that I've lived in E Tennessee for 20 years, so I don't have a wealth of knowledge or expertise when commenting on BBQ or Tex-Mex.  I'm working my way up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sweet.  I live in Rowlett just off I-30.  The Royse City place is pretty close.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

This may have been asked before, but does Cattleack have the full menu when they do the Saturday cooks? I"m going to assume so, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm almost certain they do.

6 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

This may have been asked before, but does Cattleack have the full menu when they do the Saturday cooks? I"m going to assume so, but doesn't hurt to ask.

They do.  The one time I went on first Saturday, it was full menu plus a whole hog (which was fantastic).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

They do.  The one time I went on first Saturday, it was full menu plus a whole hog (which was fantastic).

Right, they typically don't have whatever "special" they serve Thurs and Fri that week, but regular menu with the "special" being the whole hog.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm almost certain they do.

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Right, they typically don't have whatever "special" they serve Thurs and Fri that week, but regular menu with the "special" being the whole hog.

Thanks.  I was hoping that was the case.  I haven't been able to make it over during the week in a while.  It was much easier when I worked in Addison.

Drove my dumbass to Smoke Sessions this morning and it wasn't open.  I think they're at a competition; don't open til Tuesday.  

Found another out-of-the-way-but-highly-regarded place between Royce City and my house.  It wasn't open either.

Settled for Soulman's.  Sucks.

Drove my dumbass to Smoke Sessions this morning and it wasn't open.  I think they're at a competition; don't open til Tuesday.  
Found another out-of-the-way-but-highly-regarded place between Royce City and my house.  It wasn't open either.
Settled for Soulman's.  Sucks.
Yep, they were at the Rockwall Founder's Day celebration. It got rained out after 1pm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Has anyone gone to HQ prime bbq and beer garden off of 75 yet? I had no idea it existed until I saw an add on the hwy exit sign, which doesn't inspire confidence. 

I think that's related to Red Hot & Blue isn't it?

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I'm not 100% but when I googled it there were some images tagged as red hot and blue so that would make sense. 

Yeah, I think RHB re-branded itself and added on the back/side patio. I know nothing about the food but the beer selection looks spectacular. RHB's food was good, I guess, but I would never have called it true, Texas-style BBQ.

Yeah, I think RHB re-branded itself and added on the back/side patio. I know nothing about the food but the beer selection looks spectacular. RHB's food was good, I guess, but I would never have called it true, Texas-style BBQ.
This. I live nearby. It's good for happy hour and a good beer selection. The burnt ends make for a good snack. Other than that, it's not that spectacular. Before the rebranding, all beers were $3 at happy hour and on Sundays dieing NFL games.

The last time I was there the manager/owner asked to speak to me outside because I made a crack at a waitress wearing an OU shirt (this was after the B12 title game). He didn't even kick me out, just wanted to make sure that it wasn't cool to exhibit a non-Alabama rivalry at his establishment (the whole place is or was a big Bama hangout/game watching bar). 

I thought it was fucking lame and paid my tab and haven't been back. From what I recall the food was never anything above average. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well yeah, it started in DC area as a Memphis style bbq joint. We used to eat there way back when it started, at the original location.

https://www.redhotandblue.com/history/

I know the owner of RHB but haven’t spoken with him in years. May have to reach out.

Popped into OG Hutchins for lunch.  Just grabbed a sliced beef sandwich (in a hurry, and it was an early lunch, so I wasn’t terribly hungry), and the brisket was outstanding.  I used to work around the corner from the Frisco location, so I have eaten there countless times, and always thought it was somewhere between above average to real good on any given day.   I’m not going to judge a place on one trip when all I got was a sandwich, but I can see why people would think the original location is better.  I will be going back to do further and more extensive research on the matter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blu's Barbeque just opened near my office in far north Dallas.  Its on Preston between Campbell and Frankford.  I stopped in today just to grab a chopped beef sandwich and it was pretty good.  The brisket he was cutting form looked pretty solid and the sides looked legit.  I didn't feel like having afternoon meat sweats, so I didn't try the full spread.  I will definitely bee returning.  There was only 2 people in there and I thought that was a shame, but the place did just open.  I remember when it was like that at Cattlelack too.  

Gallery

Cross posting as this seems applicable to a few different threads.

Heimburger at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth (their River location). Two patties blended with smoked brisket, cheese and bacon burnt ends jam. Delicious. Great bun too. Think I have a new favorite burger. Side of bacon burnt ends pictured too (which they were also handing out samples of two in the order line).

fa52996022ddf9b8d891e35d1d635a68.jpg

• Like 1

We were there about 1:15ish and there were only a few people in line and my impression is that it’s not a location that runs out of meats. Not positive about that but that’s my impression. Much larger place than their Magnolia location.

• Like 1

Went to Heim/River today about 2.  Cavernous place, almost impossible to imagine a line there.  Got lean brisket (saw them cutting and it was obviously not dry af), and jap/cheddar sausage.  Pretty damn good.  I'll guess it was a good day, but compared quite favorably to cattleack.  The brisket was close to perfect and the sausage was right in my wheelhouse (fairly coarse grind, well blended or emulsified and packed, real casing pop, not too greasy, YMMV).  I was impressed.  A little expensive, but preeeeetttttyyyyyy good.  The servers were obviously new, but earnest.