Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

On 6/29/2019 at 6:37 PM, mdleast said:

Cross posting as this seems applicable to a few different threads.

Heimburger at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth (their River location). Two patties blended with smoked brisket, cheese and bacon burnt ends jam. Delicious. Great bun too. Think I have a new favorite burger. Side of bacon burnt ends pictured too (which they were also handing out samples of two in the order line).

fa52996022ddf9b8d891e35d1d635a68.jpg

Oh man that looks good. My cousin just got a job there actually so I owe him a visit. Might have to start with that burger. 

On 6/30/2019 at 9:10 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Went to Heim/River today about 2.  Cavernous place, almost impossible to imagine a line there.  Got lean brisket (saw them cutting and it was obviously not dry af), and jap/cheddar sausage.  Pretty damn good.  I'll guess it was a good day, but compared quite favorably to cattleack.  The brisket was close to perfect and the sausage was right in my wheelhouse (fairly coarse grind, well blended or emulsified and packed, real casing pop, not too greasy, YMMV).  I was impressed.  A little expensive, but preeeeetttttyyyyyy good.  The servers were obviously new, but earnest.

It's my understanding that Panther City BBQ, which went into Heim's old food truck spot, is even better than Heim.

Um, who's gonna be the brave first person to go check this place out:

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-08-19-blus-barbeque-shipping-container-kitchen/?fbclid=IwAR1LPBB5CEddpklET0fOBfRZl2XCA6s7KMTMgUcXn7QT9gu9VSSeDUSWles

A new barbecue restaurant has opened in North Dallas with a unique kitchen setup. Called Blu's Barbeque, it opened in June at 17630 Preston Rd. in a cute building that used to be a barber shop, a few blocks north of Campbell Road.

Co-owners Zachary Bergenholtz and Terrance Hill had been doing catering for the past few years when they decided to set up shop as a restaurant as well.

"Whenever we'd cater an event, people kept asking where our restaurant was located," Bergenholtz says. "After being asked so many times, we decided it was time."

Their menu includes smoked meats such as Angus beef brisket, pulled pork, pork spare ribs, and Akushi smoked sausage in pork and beef or jalapeño.

Sides include smoked baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, and a five-cheese mac 'n cheese, because a mac 'n cheese with one cheese or two cheeses or three cheeses or four cheeses is clearly just not enough cheeses. Which cheeses? They do not say. It's part of their recipe. Their secret recipe.

They also do sandwiches including brisket, pulled pork, and sausage for $6 to $8. And they rotate in specials such as burnt ends, smoked chicken, sweet potato casserole, and a peach cobbler dessert.

This is just their opening menu. Bergenholtz says they're being cautious to make sure they get things right and will add more items like tacos as they grow. There are also plans to add beer and wine, and they hope to open more locations, as well.

"We want to make sure our food quality is great," he says. "All our sides are made from scratch every day. The brisket and pork are smoked for 16 hours, so if we sell out out of meat, we can't just throw more on, that's it for the day."

In its few short weeks of being open, the restaurant has already garnered positive reviews about its charred crust and judicious proportion of fat, along with its attentive service in which customers can specify how much or little fat they want.

Both he and Hill are pitmasters and co-manage the restaurant, which relies on a custom-built smoker that can hold 1,600 pounds of meat.

"We also do catering from pick-up or delivery to full service on-site events with anywhere from a dozen to 1,000 people," he says.

The location used to be Lucky's Barber Shop, where Bergenoltz himself regularly got his hair cut. They executed some masterful ninja moves to transform it into a restaurant.

"I love the location," he says. "It's a small space, we have about 48 chairs. But it was too small to have seating and a kitchen, too. So we installed a cargo shipping container and attached it to the building, and made that our kitchen. I think that makes us the first shipping container restaurant in Dallas."

Funny...was just telling the wife about this today.  Saw it on Eater. Thinking of trying it this week.  I’ll report back if I do.  Pics on their website look legit.  For whatever that’s worth.

Edited by Landomatic

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Damn I was up at UTD today - could have slid over. 

Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll give it a shot and post pics if someone doesn't beat me. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Damn I was up at UTD today - could have slid over. 

Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll give it a shot and post pics if someone doesn't beat me. 

I mean, we’re a bunch of assholes, but I don’t think anyone will beat you for posting pics of BBQ.  Just don’t use too much sauce and you should be fine.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, DallasHorn26 said:

Blu's Barbeque just opened near my office in far north Dallas.  Its on Preston between Campbell and Frankford.  I stopped in today just to grab a chopped beef sandwich and it was pretty good.  The brisket he was cutting form looked pretty solid and the sides looked legit.  I didn't feel like having afternoon meat sweats, so I didn't try the full spread.  I will definitely bee returning.  There was only 2 people in there and I thought that was a shame, but the place did just open.  I remember when it was like that at Cattlelack too.  

Gallery

Re-Posting.  I went a few weeks back.  I don't think it'll top Cattelack, but it's definitely nice to have it close to the office as a quick lunch option. Seemed pretty solid to me.

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Re-Posting.  I went a few weeks back.  I don't think it'll top Cattelack, but it's definitely nice to have it close to the office as a quick lunch option. Seemed pretty solid to me.

Went for lunch today.  Prettay, prettay, prettay good.  For Dallas BBQ, I'd rank it somewhere around...

1. Cattleack

2. Pecan Lodge at its best

3. Blu's Barbeque

4. Pecan Lodge at its worst

Overall it was very solid and nice to have something new at least in the conversation for top 3 in town.  I've had other TM Top 50 joints that weren't nearly as good, that's for sure.

Went around 1:00 and it was pretty busy but no line.  The space is one part shitty enough, one part nice enough...about how a BBQ joint should be.

The guy cutting the meat was super friendly and they had things running pretty smooth.  He handed me a sample of everything he cut which is always a nice touch.  Ordered one of each meat and a couple different sides.  They have a ton of stuff on their menu that's coming soon.  Probably smart not to try to go too broad too soon until they get things dialed in.

Everything came wrapped in butcher paper then put in a plastic bag and that was the only thing for serving they had, or at least that we got.  Would have liked a tray or paper plate or something when ordering family style like that.  We made it work, but it was pretty messy.  Maybe just part of the charm or maybe we should have just asked for something.

They have Big Red on the fountain, which is badass.  No beer that I could see, but I think I read they're hoping to add that at some point.

Tried their two sauces (spicy and regular) for those who like sauces and both were great, although I like the spicy better.

Prices seemed more than reasonable.  Don't really have a price per pound comparison, but seems like I order about half a pound of 4-5 meats plus a few sides and drinks a lot of other places and it's around $75 - $100.  This was around $50.  For two of us and we both left stuffed with quite a bit of leftovers.

Only concern will be consistency when it starts getting a lot more popular, which I predict will happen sooner than later.

Jalapeno Sausage - Really good, not too spicy, great snap and flavor.

robhWb.jpg

Brisket - I liked the fatty a lot better than the lean (always do), but they were both pretty good.  Cooked right, good crust, no real smoke ring to speak of, but I'm told that doesn't matter.  Only complaint is a little inconsistent on the slicing. (looks a little dry in this pic, but was not - my photography skills must have sucked here as it was a lot better than it looks in the pic)

JrQv7P.jpg

Pulled Pork - Slightly mushy, but really great flavor.

fT0TmV.jpg

Pork Ribs - A little tight, but again, great flavor.  Solid rub on them.

3QbPRZ.jpg

Got 2 different kinds of beans (one loaded with brisket and sausage and one regular) and their 5 cheese mac and cheese for sides.  All were outstanding, but the loaded beans were the shit.  And fountain Big Red with free refills FTMFW.  Pickles were fine.

dhB3Zu.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, Sparky said:

The smoker has been under construction for some time now, I haven't been by in a few weeks but I thought it would never open.  I'll give it a go.

Oh and @threesheets the name of one of the owners sound familiar, is that a former classmate of ours?  

I don't think that's the same guy.  The one we grew up with owns Beach Hill Smokehouse in Toronto.  By all accounts it looks like he's throwing down some good stuff up there.

20180129-2048-BeachHill4.jpg?cmd=resize&

60313599_1485094564949170_22208711099416

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Are you asking about the link, or why he used a stolen pic? 

Because the latter sure is weird. 

Link is borked on Tapa, hence my post. Still have no idea what's going on between your post and threesheets.

17 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Oh shit @Sparky hahahahaha. 

That's weird about the pic though. I've seen plenty of pics of him holding beef ribs, brisket, whatever on the Beach Hill Facebook page so who knows. 

I'll be hitting up Blu's asap. 

What's really funny is that I'm friends with Doug Pickering and somebody (I presume) that works with him said the pic on the Blu's website looked like one from either Ferris Wheelers or Smoky Rose.

9 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Go to the very last post in the Texas BBQ thread. Here’s where they fucked up... 

X post

LMAO looks like they swapped it with the one DV tweeted.  Not sure that's exactly legal either, but it's a funny response.

mLItbB.png

• Like 1

Did Hutchins in McKinney Saturday.  Was very solid.  Not Cattleack or Pecan Lodge but close to the latter.  Sides were really good though as were the "Texas Twinkies".  Love the variety. Wish it was closer but definitely will be a more frequent stop when visiting family out that way. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, Landomatic said:

X post

LMAO looks like they swapped it with the one DV tweeted.  Not sure that's exactly legal either, but it's a funny response.

mLItbB.png

At least they're giving him the photo credit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, Skipper said:

Did Hutchins in McKinney Saturday.  Was very solid.  Not Cattleack or Pecan Lodge but close to the latter.  Sides were really good though as were the "Texas Twinkies".  Love the variety. Wish it was closer but definitely will be a more frequent stop when visiting family out that way. 

Got Hutchins 2 weeks ago.  Never disappoints - unless I get too full for seconds on the all you can eat.

Finally made it out to Smoke Sessions today.  Got:

*Brisket - chose the non-fatty.  I should have chosen fatty because it was a tad dry.

Ribs - Okay.  The sear and flavoring was good; however, the inside almost seemed undercooked.  

Jalapeno Sausage - My favorite of the 3.  Really, really good and I've got some left over for later.

*I've got to figure this equation out.  Generally, I don't like dry brisket; however, I can eat it all day.  At times, the fatty option is just too much.  So, I generally end up going the safe route when choosing between the two.  

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

*I've got to figure this equation out.  Generally, I don't like dry brisket; however, I can eat it all day.  At times, the fatty option is just too much.  So, I generally end up going the safe route when choosing between the two.  

Never thought about this but ain't that the truth. For me anyways. I think it's the richness/fattiness of the moist/point. It's the same reason I can't eat much of beef ribs. I love them but they're just too rich for anything more than a taste.

• Like 1

Truckyard in The Colony - J & M BBQ

spacer.png

Why yes, in fact that is a pool of grease (It's the word) in the bottom left.  Ribs were extremely over cooked, most likely Eckridge sausage.  Didn't even ask if I wanted sliced or chopped.  One of the worst bbq experiences in my life.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Got Hutchins 2 weeks ago.  Never disappoints - unless I get too full for seconds on the all you can eat.

*Brisket - chose the non-fatty.  I should have chosen fatty because it was a tad dry.

Ribs - Okay.  The sear and flavoring was good; however, the inside almost seemed undercooked.  

Jalapeno Sausage - My favorite of the 3.  Really, really good and I've got some left over for later.

Most places are slicing right in front of you so just ask for the lean that is right at the point of the brisket. The further down the flat typically the drier the meat will be because it is thinner there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Or just tell them you want a little of both.  That's what I usually do when given the choice.  Then I can mix and match both.  So...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Not even sure if this can be considered “Dallas” but I’m at Tender Smokehouse in Celina right now and can’t believe this place hasn’t gotten more play on Surly. Definitely surpasses Hutchins (which I like). 

Post pics

Looks to be one in Frisco too.  Will have to check it out sometime.

Yes-The location in Celina is the original and the one in Frisco opened a couple months ago. I actually live 5 minutes from the Frisco location but for whatever reason I always like to go to the original when I try a new spot. Only have a photo of the brisket but I also got the smoked turkey and enjoyed it.. Was a big fan of the bbq baked beans too.. The Mac & cheese was meh. Finished it off with the “Lemonade Pie” which was awesome.

Yes-The location in Celina is the original and the one in Frisco opened a couple months ago. I actually live 5 minutes from the Frisco location but for whatever reason I always like to go to the original when I try a new spot. Only have a photo of the brisket but I also got the smoked turkey and enjoyed it.. Was a big fan of the bbq baked beans too.. The Mac & cheese was meh. Finished it off with the “Lemonade Pie” which was awesome.

Yeah, I posted pics from the Frisco location a ways back. El Jefe sandwich and Wagyu beef. Good stuff. Not a big fan of BBQ beans but loved these. Agree on the Mac and Cheese. Not good. They did a great job on the interior. 5b69abd09fb9cf13bbeeafd4fd5a2a3f.jpg
034693c8e448c7b9274be7d231b65de6.jpg
e28438db03b0bd7adba591f772c7e27f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I posted pics from the Frisco location a ways back. El Jefe sandwich and Wagyu beef. Good stuff. Not a big fan of BBQ beans but loved these. Agree on the Mac and Cheese. Not good. They did a great job on the interior. 5b69abd09fb9cf13bbeeafd4fd5a2a3f.jpg
034693c8e448c7b9274be7d231b65de6.jpg
e28438db03b0bd7adba591f772c7e27f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks kinda fancy

I’m sure the answer is “of course fucking not” but I am flying back hone in August (please turn on the outside a/c for me kthnx) and have a meeting in Richardson at 2 on a Wednesday. 

Is there anything worth a shit between DFW and Richardson by chance that’s easy in/out re:parking?

Usually I just hightail it to my beloved Bodacious in Longview but I gotta be in Richardson and f me.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Ten 50 in Richardson is workable.
I thought Intrinsic in Garland was serviceable too.

Had Meat U Anywhere recently. Sub par IMO. Pulled pork was chewy.

I thought about Ten 50 first then said nah. Plus I'd send him to the Coppell Hard Eight (the place Ten 50 cc'd) before that.  But it's only slightly better. 

3 hours ago, threesheets said:

Haven't been yet, but Meat U Anywhere in Grapevine is supposed to be good. You're missing Cattleack by a day unfortunately. 

Yea I’m pissed about being a day off.

I might just bite the nostalgia bullet and hit up Torchy’s, which is like a mile from where I have to be. I’m headed to Longview that weekend so can get to Bodacious another day (or Country Tavern for ribs.)

Edited by The Ace of Aces

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

What about the new place in Richardson, Blu’s BBQ? Wasn’t there a positive review posted here recently?

I had Blu’s a few weeks back and liked it.  Thought it was top 3ish in Dallas.  But it wasn’t in Richardson.  It was at like Preston and Frankford