Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

We have the occasional Rib Cook-Off meeting there since we're trying to get event moved to Snider Plaza. I'll get some next time and report back. It's more akin to Sonny Bryan's, which I have no qualms eating if it's night time and I want some 'cue.

The stuff I had last weekend made Sonny Bryan's look like Franklin.

That'd be an awesome move for your event.  All those businesses gonna be willing to give up the traffic (parking) for a day?

Lando, I may have found competition to the worst bbq in Dallas. One of my employees birthday is today and asked him where he wanted to go for lunch. Knowing he likes BBQ, I said we can head to Hutchins here in McKinney. He says, nope let's go to Ray's BBQ in Allen. Never heard of the place but figured he has been to Hutchins with us plenty if times, he knows what we like.
Well, Ray's is a little shack and I thought "This place looks like someone that puts their heart into their meat, not the establishment".
Well, I was wrong. Got the 2 meat plate and they are lucky they had fried okra or I may have gone spider monkey on someone for serving up that excuse of BBQ. And yes, that is their "sliced moist brisket".
So here I am on the shitter now for the 3rd time since we got back, typing out this review. 6b70b040eeee116c57e8de5eaf592071.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Lando, I may have found competition to the worst bbq in Dallas. One of my employees birthday is today and asked him where he wanted to go for lunch. Knowing he likes BBQ, I said we can head to Hutchins here in McKinney. He says, nope let's go to Ray's BBQ in Allen. Never heard of the place but figured he has been to Hutchins with us plenty if times, he knows what we like.
Well, Ray's is a little shack and I thought "This place looks like someone that puts their heart into their meat, not the establishment".
Well, I was wrong. Got the 2 meat plate and they are lucky they had fried okra or I may have gone spider monkey on someone for serving up that excuse of BBQ. And yes, that is their "sliced moist brisket".
So here I am on the shitter now for the 3rd time since we got back, typing out this review. 6b70b040eeee116c57e8de5eaf592071.jpg

Holy shit that looks horrendous.  I’m sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that’s pretty damn funny.  How did your employee justify his choice?  Did he admit he fucked up or does he really think that’s good BBQ?

Holy shit that looks horrendous.  I’m sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that’s pretty damn funny.  How did your employee justify his choice?  Did he admit he fucked up or does he really think that’s good BBQ?
He still thinks it's good. I knew I was in trouble when we walk in and he states that he always get the turkey sandwich special.

47 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

He still thinks it's good. I knew I was in trouble when we walk in and he states that he always get the turkey sandwich special.

Uh huh.  That would be a dead giveaway.

I guess the real question is...is he still your employee?  I mean, you may wanna double check with the surly lawyers, but I’m pretty sure “sucks at BBQ” is valid grounds for termination.

Edited by Landomatic

Uh huh.  That would be a dead giveaway.
I guess the real question is...is he still your employee?  I mean, you may wanna double check with the surly lawyers, but I’m pretty sure “sucks at BBQ” is valid grounds for termination.
I'm thinking of giving him a severance package of Dickey's gift certificates.

21 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

How were the Bush's Baked Beans?  

I live in Allen- that spot has been a couple of different bbq joints and I've never set foot in either. Thanks for confirming my instincts are still on point.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Anyone been to Winner's on 14th in Plano?  Owner (Deandre Jackson) played db at Iowa State, was preseason all Big 12 in '06.  I don't remember him but he was obviously a baller.

https://www.winnersbbq.com/

13466486_306545766343437_569236826648878

Haven't heard of it. But ribs look to have odd light-colored specks in the rub, sausage looks DAF. Brisket has potential.

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Anyone going to the Smoke fest thing at Main Street Garden Saturday?  Posted about it in the main TX BBQ thread.

Probably not this year. I've gone before but my wife doesn't care about the food so it's kind of a waste for her to get down there that early. It's also not cheap.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Who's going to try this one out first?  Prices are what you would expect for Pappa Bros, $28.95 for a  plate of brisket.  Plus the menu seems a bit busy.

https://www.pappasdeltablues.com/plano

http://content.pappas.com/images/dyn/menus/menu_2135.pdf

Who needs brisket at Pappa's? I'd never make it past the Appetizer section of the menu.  Southern Fried Green Tomatoes, House-Smoked Boudin, "Nashville Hot" Fried Texas Quail and Sticky Pork Belly Bites all sound pretty good to me. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Who needs brisket at Pappa's? I'd never make it past the Appetizer section of the menu.  Southern Fried Green Tomatoes, House-Smoked Boudin, "Nashville Hot" Fried Texas Quail and Sticky Pork Belly Bites all sound pretty good to me. 

Menu looks pretty fantastic -- if they can execute it all.

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

They will not.  But they may enough for the tourists and schlubs who think that’s good.

I'll have to reach out to my buddy about it. He's the chef who opened Al Biernat's all those years ago and then had Tramontana and Bistro Latino in Preston Center. He's worked for the Pappas Restaurant Group for the last 3-4 years or so.

35 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Delta Blues is fucking legit. The one in Webster is badass. Went last year, up there with Bucks for best sit down Cue in the state

Eh...

1. Chain
  2. Pappas concept
  3. Burbiest of suburbs
  4. Huge former Bone Daddy's location (and all that comes with that)
  5. Greenspoint endorsed

Color me skeptical.

Just fucking with you on the last one @GreenspointTexas, but seriously I can't imagine this being all that great.  Hope for Plano's sake it is, but it has a lot of strikes against it going in and I'll be shocked if it isn't nothing more than a sit down Rudy's.

And I know Pappas is regarded as great around Houston, but around DFW it's highly regarded as very high volume chain concepts for tourists and masses.  That's not to say it may not kill it from a success standpoint, but I can't see it being "fucking legit" or "badass" in BBQ talk.

37 minutes ago, Sparky said:

There is just something about having a server at a BBQ joint that doesn't feel right.

I'm kind of with you but I've been places that do it that way that are pretty goddamn good.

Forgot to follow up and here's what my buddy texted when I asked about it: "been working like a dog opening this place -- killer food -- today's my last day on the schedule here." (That was last Saturday.) Mind you this was Al Biernat's chef partner for the OG spot on Oak Lawn and he got them their original 5-star reviews. Tramontana was in the DMN Top 100 every year it was open. The man knows food.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

I’m no BBQ savant, work close to ten50 or whatever. What’s the general consensus?

That’s not to say I wouldn’t give it a shot for lunch if I worked nearby.  Probably once I started to get tired of other options in the area.  Work in one place long enough and all the nearby lunch places eventually become fair game.

8 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

I’m no BBQ savant, work close to ten50 or whatever. What’s the general consensus?

It’s above average bbq priced as elite bbq.  However, if you want above average bbq in the general vicinity, you are seriously lacking in options.  I’ve had too many bad meals at Lockhart to ever return, but even if it was good, the parking situation is a shitshow, which can matter for lunch.

41 minutes ago, CBT said:

That's the thing. I don't doubt that meal is great, but, even with BBQ prices skyrocketing, there has to be a cap...somewhere. insert dallas joke here. 

Don't disagree. $29/lb for prime brisket is as high as I've seen anywhere in DFW. Pecan Lodge is $22/lb for brisket.

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
On 10/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, C-Man said:
Don't disagree. $29/lb for prime brisket is as high as I've seen anywhere in DFW. Pecan Lodge is $22/lb for brisket.

$29/lb... who the hell is selling brisket at that price?

models GIF

On 10/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, TankedBevo said:

Has anyone been to Blu’s lately? I wonder if they’ve worked out the kinks since they’ve opened

I was at Blu’s on Sunday for the first time... Not sure what kinks you’re referring to, but I had a good meal.

My only complaint is that if you want to eat there, they still serve the food to you in a to-go bag.