Joel Klatt is a breath of fresh air. Fight me.

Parliament

34 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He's the best, sucks how high he was on Iowa State though. They got embarrassed by a shitty Iowa team early, that sucked.

ISU has been so close to a ranked win that would validate him all year. They just keep choking it away. Hopefully that continues this weekend.

2 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Captain Obvious here, but the point of these radio personalities is to drum up ratings.  Klatt and Kannel are simply drumming up ratings from those who dislike the SEC, nothing more, just like Paul Finebaum and Kirk Herbstreit like to drum up ratings from the pro-SEC crowd.  

Sure. 

But the difference is that Klatt actually knows how to use logic and reason in his arguments.  Finebaum and Herbstreit's arguments often come down to, "because SEC...."  I literally heard Herbstreit say on College Game Day last week that Alabama would "still be one of the four best teams in the country even if they lost every game."   His reasoning was "because of the NFL talent", which is a patently absurd argument.

Obviously he was taking it to the extreme, but that mentality is rampant at ESPN.  

Klatt calling out the CFP's ridiculously subjective process for ranking the teams each week deserves to be called out for the ridiculousness that it is.  Outside of when there is a painfully obvious #1 team, it's just 10 old guys in a room picking teams based on brands and "eye test." 

The fact that you have two undefeated power 5 teams ranked behind multiple 1-loss power five teams is fucking absurd, especially when one of those two (Minnesota) has the second-best win in the entire field. 

And you can't tell me for one fucking second that Baylor would be ranked as low as they are if either OU or Texas had their exact record and exact results. 

Good for Klatt for pointing out the absurdity of it all.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

He's the best, sucks how high he was on Iowa State though. They got embarrassed by a shitty Iowa team early, that sucked.

Ugh...I know.  To be fair, UI was ranked above us when we played and they have a chance to move up the rankings by beating Minnesota this weekend.  But yeah, we've really let Joel down this season.

So, of course I like Joel and I get that he is sort of an SEC foil but only because he believes it.  He's not disingenuous like Finebaum.  There's no way Finebaum truly believes all the SEC bullshit he pumps.

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

The only problem is Danny Kannell is an idiot, and Joel Klatt is awesome.

I don't care if he's sitting behind the mic in diapers picking his nose.  He's a soldier in the anti-Sec war and we need all those we can get.   Even booger picking, diaper wearing, former Seminoles.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Captain Obvious here, but the point of these radio personalities is to drum up ratings.  Klatt and Kannel are simply drumming up ratings from those who dislike the SEC, nothing more, just like Paul Finebaum and Kirk Herbstreit like to drum up ratings from the pro-SEC crowd.  

Are you implying that Klatt and Kannell don't believe what they are saying and they're just spewing anit-Sec rhetoric because it will drum up ratings?  

Love Joel Klatt and always look forward to his weekly appearance on The Ticker here in Dallas. He also does a podcast during the football season called Breaking the Huddle...well, sort of.  Oddly, there is no real frequency as to how often it comes out (sometimes once a week but then other times not for several weeks and with seemingly no consistency on which day of the week it will drop) which is too bad as he is actually way more opinionated and animated on it than I have seen him in other formats.

Also, as much as I love hearing the guy and his needling of SEC and Aggie in particular, as someone mentioned Finebaum above, let's not be totally bind to the fact that the conferences he seems to prop up  and champion (Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12) happen to also be the ones that he broadcasts for.  That's, of course, not a coincidence.  That in no way takes away from me enjoying his opinions and all but my eyes are open to it...

Edited by mdleast

16 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Love Joel Klatt and always look forward to his weekly appearance on The Ticker here in Dallas. He also does a podcast during the football season called Breaking the Huddle...well, sort of.  Oddly, there is no real frequency as to how often it comes out (sometimes once a week but then other times not for several weeks and with seemingly no consistency on which day of the week it will drop) which is too bad as he is actually way more opinionated and animated on it than I have seen him in other formats.

Also, as much as I love hearing the guy and his needling of SEC and Aggie in particular, as someone mentioned Finebaum above, let's not be totally bind to the fact that the conferences he seems to prop up  and champion (Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12) happen to also be the ones that he broadcasts for.  That's, of course, not a coincidence.  That in no way takes away from me enjoying his opinions and all but my eyes are open to it...

I don't think it's propping up the other conferences so much as bringing the truth as it pertains to the SEC and the way that conference gerrymanders things to benefit that conference.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

If Greg McElroy can get over his SEC/Bama bias, he wasn't that bad on our broadcast last week. 

Agreed, and he had the recognition of TOs schemes and playcalling as a big part of our problems and guts to say so on the broadcast.  You don't often hear broadcasters openly criticize coaching.

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

McElroy is ok, and he's not bad on his satellite radio show either. But now they have him paired with that windbag Kannell, which makes McElroy appear far smarter by comparison, but brings the show down as a whole. 

Agreed. Why didTaylor leave the show?

14 hours ago, Iceman said:

Agreed that his takes seem more legit and less ‘stir the pot because we can.’  I’m on the road on vacation this week and this morning I I turn on Stephen A, whose radio show I enjoy; and Max Kellerman.  What a fucking beating.  Even on points with which I may agree, the presentation is so douchey and bitchtastic, I want to punch them both in the fucking mouth.

This is as good a time as any to post this pic I took almost 4 years ago. 
ECCB8-BA1-9-F06-4-B5-D-983-D-ABC36-EA920

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Illegal hit.

Maybe Herbie will unexpectedly retire this year and Klett can take his place. Game day, sat night game, the whole deal.

Then Disney would force him to start schilling for the SECSECSEC, so that's probably not a great idea.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, TornACL said:

The only problem is Danny Kannell is an idiot, and Joel Klatt is awesome.

You ain't lying. For a guy who I used to generally like Danny on ESPN, listening to him closely in the morning next to Greg Mckelroy it's obvious why he was let go.  I guess I didn't pay as close attention as I do now,  but he routinely argues against himself or makes a point and gets stumped by the simplest Mckelroy counter.  Dude is dumb as fuck.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You ain't lying. For a guy who I used to generally like Danny on ESPN, listening to him closely in the morning next to Greg Mckelroy it's obvious why he was let go.  I guess I didn't pay as close attention as I do now,  but he routinely argues against himself or makes a point and gets stumped by the simplest Mckelroy counter.  Dude is dumb as fuck.  

I think he plays a little bit of a character.  He has a turtleneck sponsor for God's sake.  Also, he was definitely better when he was on ESPN with Ryen Russillo.  I thought they were a pretty good team.  Russillo is just good period.

Just now, Hozz said:

I think he plays a little bit of a character.  He has a turtleneck sponsor for God's sake.  Also, he was definitely better when he was on ESPN with Ryen Russillo.  I thought they were a pretty good team.  Russillo is just good period.

Like I said, I enjoyed him with Russillo. They sort of had a Ticket-like, guy talk thing going on when they were together.  It could be true that he's playing,  but the character he's playing is doing him a disservice. I've yet to hear him make cogent argument on his show with Mckelroy. 

23 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Are you implying that Klatt and Kannell don't believe what they are saying and they're just spewing anit-Sec rhetoric because it will drum up ratings?  

He's flat out saying it. He's a fucking dolt. Tough to keep up with all his name changes because he gets crowd sourced so often. 

13 minutes ago, pops said:

He's flat out saying it. He's a fucking dolt. Tough to keep up with all his name changes because he gets crowd sourced so often. 

Then that makes sense.  It's amazing how many mysteries in life can be explained away once you realize you're dealing with a complete idiot.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a big fan of Klatt and I was with him on all of that until I heard, "College football produces better men, period."

College football has also turned out plenty of ultra-egotistical, selfish douchebags and roided-up violence junkies.

And you could say, "Sure, TexArcher, but college football didn't necessarily make them that way."  And I could say, "Maybe not, but it didn't fix them, either."

College football is one of many college subjects, if you will, that can produce better men.  But it isn't some panacea to turn a gangbanger with speed into Colin Powell.

Edited by TexArcher