Dallas | Tacos

C-Man

On 7/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, victory88 said:

no way... good street tacos are so much better.  

Velvet taco is garbage.  Only go there if I’m drunk and nothing else is open.

Tacos la ventana... nope

Fuel city tacos.... meh...

Tacos y mas... meh

Tacos la Banqueta .... fuck yeah

Mario Bros Tacos.... fuck yeah again

Need to try El Come

Torchy’s, Taco Deli, velvet taco I wouldn’t lump with the ones above.  Taco Deli > Torchy’s >>>>>>>>> Velvet taco.

El come over everything homie

And I never said I liked Velvet or even Torchy's lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:03 AM, C-Man said:

Been discussed I’m sure but catching the Tacos Mariachi episode of Diners, Drive-In’s & Dives. Anybody been over there? The pulpo tacos look incredible.

Haha. Just came here to post. I just had a few of their "street tacos" and they were okay. Definitely a step below el come which is just a stone's throw away.

They have higher dollar tacos on the menu that look pretty good, as well as a cali style burrito with French fries. 

I would definitely come back to try their other offerings, but the "tradicional" tacos are nothing special.

Also the owner was here and he was super chill. 

Edited by ztejas

On 9/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, ztejas said:

Haha. Just came here to post. I just had a few of their "street tacos" and they were okay. Definitely a step below el come which is just a stone's throw away.

They have higher dollar tacos on the menu that look pretty good, as well as a cali style burrito with French fries. 

I would definitely come back to try their other offerings, but the "tradicional" tacos are nothing special.

Also the owner was here and he was super chill. 

Pulpo is pretty good, but the smoked salmon is my choice there. Unique texture and somehow they make it work in a taco.

• 2 weeks later...

El Come taco is getting expensive $2.45 for a basic street taco. Went to Coco Mami in the old Banqueta space at Bryan and Carroll. I thought it was great. 

They have chicharon instead of pastor and those were flavorful. Deshebrada was juicy and delicious. Fajita beef was ok but a little dry. Owner was very friendly.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/xwWIq0FtE0

On 10/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

El Come taco is getting expensive $2.45 for a basic street taco. Went to Coco Mami in the old Banqueta space at Bryan and Carroll. I thought it was great. 

They have chicharon instead of pastor and those were flavorful. Deshebrada was juicy and delicious. Fajita beef was ok but a little dry. Owner was very friendly.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/xwWIq0FtE0

$2.45 for the best taco in town is expensive?  What should they cost?

• 7 months later...

Stopped by Fridas tacos for lunch today off Singleton. Another solid ass spot to add to my taco list. Tripas was crazy good but I love tripas not everyone does. Ensenada fish tacos were great as well and I devoured a few Tacos el patron, ribeye and guacamole salsa. Reminded me of some tacos I had in Tijuana. Highly recommend if you are ever over here and get the agua de melon as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news...it seems the Covid has not been kind to El Come.  Had it last night for the first time since pre Corona and it was awful.  Messed up a couple items, forgot a couple more including the elote, and what they did get out was way way below average.  I'm hoping it was just an off night, but it felt like more than that to me.  Very sparse ingredients, and nothing felt fresh at all, to the point we were a little worried about the safety of it.  On top of that, they pretty much ripped the front of the store up to install some makeshift looking walk up window that all just felt like one big struggle.  Kind of depressing.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:41 AM, Landomatic said:

Bad news...it seems the Covid has not been kind to El Come.  Had it last night for the first time since pre Corona and it was awful.  Messed up a couple items, forgot a couple more including the elote, and what they did get out was way way below average.  I'm hoping it was just an off night, but it felt like more than that to me.  Very sparse ingredients, and nothing felt fresh at all, to the point we were a little worried about the safety of it.  On top of that, they pretty much ripped the front of the store up to install some makeshift looking walk up window that all just felt like one big struggle.  Kind of depressing.

Is that the place next door to Zalat?  Still haven't made it there but want to.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, threesheets said:

When you do, get the campechano tacos.

Finally made it there for late lunch with my youngest today.  The campechano tacos were really good.  The chorizo had great flavor.

They were a lot messier than most other street tacos, but pretty tasty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2020 at 3:37 PM, APMP said:

Any suggestions for TexMex curbside pickup or delivery? We are currently visiting Lake Highlands area.

It could be a little bit of a haul for you but I've finally discovered Muchacho's in Preston Center (in old Taco Diner spot). It's in the Mesero price range but it's damn good.

On 9/1/2020 at 3:37 PM, APMP said:

Any suggestions for TexMex curbside pickup or delivery? We are currently visiting Lake Highlands area.

Matt's is on uber eats and usually pretty fast.  I find myself getting a cowboy style CFS and bob's queso about once a week for delivery.  I am in lakewood, though.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Man, I haven’t had banqueta in a minute.  Will need to hit it up this weekend!

Still the best tacos I've ever had. Trying to find somewhere in Austin that can compare. There's one spot that shows promise - I'm kind of trying all the little taco stands in my largely Hispanic neighborhood. Pretty hit or miss so far.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Got a half gallon of frozen ritas from Velvet Taco tonight for $25 (regular price). Spot on flavor/booze wise and was the equivalent to 9 maragarita glasses worth.

Might start doing this every Friday. 

That seems like a pretty good deal.  How do you keep them cold though?  When I tried something similar when we quit going to restaurants during Covid (bought large to-go orders of frozen margaritas to take home), they didn't travel very well.  I tried to put them in the refrigerator and they ended up melted by the end and I tried to put them in the freezer and they ended up getting too hard by the end.  Short of buying a machine, I just couldn't ever get that part down.  It was one of the few things I wasn't able to recreate at as good or better level at home during the peak of Covid.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2021 at 11:57 AM, Landomatic said:

Maybe the pitcher is the secret?  Mine were individual cups each time.  Would make sense.

E-Bar used to sell gallon milk jugs of frozen margaritas and a solo cup with sangria for swirls back when they were take-out only.  Not sure if they're still doing it.

• 1 month later...

Both Tacos Mariachi locations didn't make it through the pandemic. Mariachi owner has opened a new place over near (in) Trinity Groves called Milagro. It opened this week.

https://dallas.eater.com/2021/7/6/22565097/milagro-trinity-groves-open-chef-jesus-carmona-tacos-mariachi

The newest restaurant from one of Dallas’s favorite taqueros has officially opened its doors in Trinity Groves.

Milagro, from chef Jesus Carmona, opens today, July 6, at 440 Singleton Boulevard. The restaurant focuses on Tijuana-style street food, including dishes like mahi birria tacos, pork belly al pipil tacos, and Sineloa-styel ceviche with The restaurant also serves a burger loaded with sautéed shrimp, chicharron, avocado mousse, asado cheese, and jalapeno glaze. Cocktail-wise, diners can expect margaritas and mezcal drinks made with fresh squeezed juice, plus ice-cold Mexican beers.

Some dishes at Milagro will harken back to Carmona’s previous restaurant, Tacos Mariachi, which he opened in 2015, also on Singleton Boulevard. The restaurant gained fame after it was featured on Guy Fieri’s TV show Diners, Drive-In and Dives. In 2018, buoyed by the success of the first spot, Carmona opened a second Tacos Mariachi on Lower Greenville Avenue.

Both restaurants closed temporarily in March of 2020 as Dallas began issuing safe-at-home ordinances. In June, Carmona announced that the Greenville Avenue restaurant would not reopen, but that the Trinity Groves spot would reemerge a few blocks down from its original address. In the meantime, Carmona turned his focus to his new Argentine restaurant, Chimichurri, which opened in the fall.

Now, Marichi is being reborn as Milagro — the name means “miracle” in Spanish, and according to a press release, is a reflection of Carmona’s changing fortunes over the past year. Carmona says he is excited about bringing his tacos back to the neighborhood.

“I’m so passionate about Tijuana’s rich culture and cuisine, he said. “When the owners of Trinity Groves offered me this space, I knew this was a perfect time to get back into the taco game.”

Milagro, at 440 Singleton Boulevard, Suite 100, is open Tuesday through Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...
Both Tacos Mariachi locations didn't make it through the pandemic. Mariachi owner has opened a new place over near (in) Trinity Groves called Milagro. It opened this week.
https://dallas.eater.com/2021/7/6/22565097/milagro-trinity-groves-open-chef-jesus-carmona-tacos-mariachi
The newest restaurant from one of Dallas’s favorite taqueros has officially opened its doors in Trinity Groves.
Milagro, from chef Jesus Carmona, opens today, July 6, at 440 Singleton Boulevard. The restaurant focuses on Tijuana-style street food, including dishes like mahi birria tacos, pork belly al pipil tacos, and Sineloa-styel ceviche with The restaurant also serves a burger loaded with sautéed shrimp, chicharron, avocado mousse, asado cheese, and jalapeno glaze. Cocktail-wise, diners can expect margaritas and mezcal drinks made with fresh squeezed juice, plus ice-cold Mexican beers.
Some dishes at Milagro will harken back to Carmona’s previous restaurant, Tacos Mariachi, which he opened in 2015, also on Singleton Boulevard. The restaurant gained fame after it was featured on Guy Fieri’s TV show Diners, Drive-In and Dives. In 2018, buoyed by the success of the first spot, Carmona opened a second Tacos Mariachi on Lower Greenville Avenue.
Both restaurants closed temporarily in March of 2020 as Dallas began issuing safe-at-home ordinances. In June, Carmona announced that the Greenville Avenue restaurant would not reopen, but that the Trinity Groves spot would reemerge a few blocks down from its original address. In the meantime, Carmona turned his focus to his new Argentine restaurant, Chimichurri, which opened in the fall.
Now, Marichi is being reborn as Milagro — the name means “miracle” in Spanish, and according to a press release, is a reflection of Carmona’s changing fortunes over the past year. Carmona says he is excited about bringing his tacos back to the neighborhood.
“I’m so passionate about Tijuana’s rich culture and cuisine, he said. “When the owners of Trinity Groves offered me this space, I knew this was a perfect time to get back into the taco game.”
Milagro, at 440 Singleton Boulevard, Suite 100, is open Tuesday through Sunday.

Checked out Milagro today. It was pretty good.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2021 at 11:09 PM, C-Man said:

Checked out Milagro today. It was pretty good.

Popped in to the new Trompo on Gaston today.  Their elotes with crushed Paqui chips were really tasty.  The tacos (I had a combo, a trompo, and a bistek) were okay.  The pork and beef were both a little dry but the flavor was really good.  El Come Taco was better, but I'll give this place another try.

Edited by DDD Dad

3 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Just moved to Dallas and I need the best breakfast tacos here ASAP. I can't go Saturday mornings preparing for watching college football all day without breakfast tacos.

If anyone has any recs, send them my way! I'm in a pretty central area so close to a lot of things, a bit north of downtown

For Mexican tacos:

Tacos La Banqueta (Old East Dallas and Lakewood)

El Come Taco - Fitzhugh (near Central)

For gringo tacos (which aren't really tacos):

Taco Joint (Old East Dallas and Lakewood)

Velvet Taco (Central and Knox/Henderson)

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just moved to Dallas and I need the best breakfast tacos here ASAP. I can't go Saturday mornings preparing for watching college football all day without breakfast tacos.
If anyone has any recs, send them my way! I'm in a pretty central area so close to a lot of things, a bit north of downtown

Taco deli for gringo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 2:44 PM, Skipper said:

I'm very close to the Taco Deli and spend an unreasonable amount of $$ there annually.  Hell even when we are doing our own fajitas or tacos I frequently stop by to pick up Guac, Dona sauce and beans.

Saw Dona sauce and Roja salsa in the Lakewood Whole Foods refrigerated case today.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 4 months later...

For those that get to the other side of 360 check out Mojo’s TexMex Smokehouse in Burleson. It was the first barbecue joint I knew of to combine barbecue with TexMex. Excellent smoky brisket and good pulled pork but the difference is the tortillas. Made with brisket drippings. You place your order and they put required numbers of dough balls on the griddle and cook them before your eyes. They have breakfast tacos to, like brisket and egg. Excellent guac and salsas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Arlington has a ton of good taquerias of all types. I really like 2 Compas in Pantego for top notch street tacos, burritos, and huaraches. The standards are excellent and they have really good daily specials of more obscure proteins.

Tik Taco is at Cooper and Park Row. It is run by a dude who was a higher end restauranteur in Mexico City so it’s a bit more than a tacqueria; I’d love to see this guy with a more spacious restaurant at some point. His lamb quesabirria tacos are the best I’ve had anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1