Dallas | Tacos

C-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Revolver Taco on Friday.  As stated many times before, it was excellent.  We got one of every taco except the veggie.  The carnitas and pato were probably my favorites.

Definitely interested in their tasting menu.  Has anybody on here done it?

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I think Lando or C-Man have been (or are planning too soon).

Found it.

Yeah, @C-Man and I are going (if I can get him to pull his tampon out) but it’s not until like June something.  First reservation we could get.  Will report back...if we can remember it.

Edited by Landomatic

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, @C-Man and I are going (if I can get him to pull his tampon out) but it’s not until like June something.  First reservation we could get.  Will report back...if we can remember it.

Hey now, I resemble that remark. I'd love to join but $85 would be a waste of money on my wife.

53 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Hey now, I resemble that remark. I'd love to join but $85 would be a waste of money on my wife.

Yeah mine too but can’t the girls just drink their $85 worth or something?  There’s gotta be some kinda work around.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Saturday June 9th back room reservation for 4 at Revolver Taco if anyone wants it.  Turns out I’ll be in Vegas that night and @C-Man can’t use it either.  It was a hard reservation to get (been sitting on it for like a month) and before I just cancel it, thought I’d offer it up to one of you surly bastards.  PM me if interested

• 3 weeks later...

New entry in town:  Taco y Vino in Bishop Arts.   We went there last week and it's really good.

It's not a taqueria and the tacos are elevated, but they are not overly gimmicky.  They rely on traditional tastes: barbacoa, carnitas, cochina pipl, carne asada, etc.   Each is just a really good version of a the traditional taco.   There are no sides and only two apps, but they are very good:  a crab and shrimp stuffed jalapeno and pretty killer tamale croquette things that are additive as hell.  The wine and beer is good too, all with approachable prices.  The whole thing is supposed to offer a fun night out that doesn't break the bank.  It pretty much hits that mark.

• 4 months later...

Anybody ever been to Tortas Insurgentes (might be Torteria Insurgentes) over by Bachman Lake/Love Field? Dallas Observer called them out as one of the six best at last weekend's Tacolandia. Looked online and I'm very intrigued as I live about 5 minutes from there.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Anybody ever been to Tortas Insurgentes (might be Torteria Insurgentes) over by Bachman Lake/Love Field? Dallas Observer called them out as one of the six best at last weekend's Tacolandia. Looked online and I'm very intrigued as I live about 5 minutes from there.

I might have when I lived over there.  Is it in a shitty gas station?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Doesn't look that way from the pics I found online and on their Facebook page.

Oh, then that’s not it.  The one I’m talking about was on NW Hwy west of the lake a bit.  It was a total shithole.  I mean like felt as if you stepped into a gas station in Mexico.  Had trompo tacos there that were pretty damn good.  Not sure the health department had been around in a while.  But other than that...damn good.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

El si hay is very hit and miss, I've found.  When it's on, it is incredible.  When it's off, it's off.  

I have to agree with this.   That's why, I have pretty much switched to Trompo for that style of taco (different meats, I know, but the street taco style).

The elote guy at El Si Hay is always outstanding if you are willing to deal with the complexities of how he chooses who is next in line...and there is always a line.

15 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

I have to agree with this.   That's why, I have pretty much switched to Trompo for that style of taco (different meats, I know, but the street taco style).

The elote guy at El Si Hay is always outstanding if you are willing to deal with the complexities of how he chooses who is next in line...and there is always a line.

c32.jpg

• 6 months later...

Finally made it to Revolver today. Freaking awesome. Had the trompo, the pescado, and the carne asada (now my favorite steak taco in town).

It's pricey though.  $50 for two of us before the tip.  We ordered 3 the first time around, then asked for two more carne asada tacos each. Yeah, I'm miserable- four would have been perfect.

I will say their housemade corn tortillas are the best out there.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Cinco Taco at walnut hill and 75 is legit. Mexican style tacos with house made tortillas (corn were exceptional). Also different queso than you get at most tex-mex places. Will definitely return. 

I live across the street so I went the other day for a couple breakfast tacos. They were good but not very big for the price. Asked for the hottest salsa they had and they do a pretty good habanero. 

Rest of the menu looked pretty good as well, I'll have to go back. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Cinco Taco at walnut hill and 75 is legit. Mexican style tacos with house made tortillas (corn were exceptional). Also different queso than you get at most tex-mex places. Will definitely return. 

There was a location in Addison too at beltine & DNT.  I think it's closed or transitioned to something else now. I was pleased every time I went.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as gringo tacos go, Rusty Taco does a bang up job sometimes. 

20190703-171335.jpg

They can be hit or miss but I like their breakfast tacos, chicken fajita, and the above pictured fried chicken "team fave" style (add avocado). 

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

As far as gringo tacos go, Rusty Taco does a bang up job sometimes. 

20190703-171335.jpg

They can be hit or miss but I like their breakfast tacos, chicken fajita, and the above pictured fried chicken "team fave" style (add avocado). 

It's a'ight. I much prefer Velvet.

There was a location in Addison too at beltine & DNT.  I think it's closed or transitioned to something else now. I was pleased every time I went.

Still there I believe but half the size now. It's weird

New spot across the street from my office just opened. DNT and spring valley. Tacos patron, pretty good stuff but a little pricey for tacos. Good drink specials

20 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Still there I believe but half the size now. It's weird

New spot across the street from my office just opened. DNT and spring valley. Tacos patron, pretty good stuff but a little pricey for tacos. Good drink specials

Good to know. My office is relocating to Spring Valley/Tollway in October. Looking forward to a change in lunch spots.

• Like 1

I’m sure I’ll get negged for this, but I find the difference between average tacos and great tacos to be negligible.  Almost not even worthy of their own thread (could just fall within Mexican or TexMex thread).  I love them.  But the best one I’ve ever had wasn’t that much better than an average one and wasn’t all that memorable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’m sure I’ll get negged for this, but I find the difference between average tacos and great tacos to be negligible.  Almost not even worthy of their own thread (could just fall within Mexican or TexMex thread).  I love them.  But the best one I’ve ever had wasn’t that much better than an average one and wasn’t all that memorable.

Nah I totally agree. 

no way... good street tacos are so much better.  

Velvet taco is garbage.  Only go there if I’m drunk and nothing else is open.

Tacos la ventana... nope

Fuel city tacos.... meh...

Tacos y mas... meh

Tacos la Banqueta .... fuck yeah

Mario Bros Tacos.... fuck yeah again

Need to try El Come

Torchy’s, Taco Deli, velvet taco I wouldn’t lump with the ones above.  Taco Deli > Torchy’s >>>>>>>>> Velvet taco.

• Like 1