School shooting in California

Pancho

"Here we go again", exactly. Instead of addressing the issue, let's build our schools like prisons, medal detectors and armed guards, background checks for every student and teacher. Let's have school shooting drills that scare the shit out of kids and lastly, do something about this vaping problem! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dewey said:

"Here we go again", exactly. Instead of addressing the issue, let's build our schools like prisons, medal detectors and armed guards, background checks for every student and teacher. Let's have school shooting drills that scare the shit out of kids and lastly, do something about this vaping problem! 

Hey, we banned law darts because one kid got stuck in the head and died. Because guns don't kill people, lawn darts do!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I was just thinking the other day that it's been quiet for awhile. F'ing crazy that a civilized society has to deal with shit like this.

You mean there hasn’t been death sensationalized by the media in a while. Since the last multiple casualty school shooting there have been dozens and dozens of dead kids in our inner cities from gang violence, hundreds of people dead from overdoses of fentanyl laced drugs and a lot of suicides.

But let’s shake our collective surly fists at the sky about the school shootings and wax poetic about we ain’t doing enough about these ad revenue news cycle stories that scare us.

Yes, these school events have no place in our society but our society has some deep sickness that claims exponentially more humans and that sickness doesn’t get the 4 page CR’ish discussion.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

You mean there hasn’t been death sensationalized by the media in a while. Since the last multiple casualty school shooting there have been dozens and dozens of dead kids in our inner cities from gang violence, hundreds of people dead from overdoses of fentanyl laced drugs and a lot of suicides.

But let’s shake our collective surly fists at the sky about the school shootings and wax poetic about we ain’t doing enough about these ad revenue news cycle stories that scare us.

Yes, these school events have no place in our society but our society has some deep sickness that claims exponentially more humans and that sickness doesn’t get the 4 page CR’ish discussion.

reporting of kids being shot while attending school is sensationalizing? i hope we never stop sensationalizing kids being killed at school. it should still shock everyone that this shit is happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I think it is important to clarify the difference, because this distraction technique is brought up every time there is a school/mall/church/concert shooting.

the reason one is reported on and one is not is where the failures are in our system.  we have laws, we have knowledge of the problems, we have everything we need to stop the inner city stuff from a logical systems standpoint.  we will use the color clothes people wear as probable cause, for crying out loud.  we're trying, ringo.  we're trying real hard.  we just don't have the manpower.

with school shootings, no law is broken -- except maybe guns on the schoolyard with thankfully (THANKFULLY) we are doing our best to make legal now -- until an instant before the first body drops.  it is a systemic failure.  meaning we CHOOSE this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Schools are safer than they were 30 years ago.  There is just a lot more media coverage plus social media now.

are you talking about number of incidents, or number of deaths?  because it is important.

(just kidding, it's not important at all.  you are wrong by every conceivable measure.  https://www.chds.us/ssdb/category/shooting-incidents/ )

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

are you talking about number of incidents, or number of deaths?  because it is important.

(just kidding, it's not important at all.  you are wrong by every conceivable measure.  https://www.chds.us/ssdb/category/shooting-incidents/ )

Wrong:

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

just go to the link.  you can see the data.

https://www.chds.us/ssdb/incidents-by-year/

most school shootings?  2018

second most shootings? 2019.

top six worst years?  2018, 2019, 2006, 2005, 2017, 2016.

• Like 2

It's about the rate.  You are using raw numbers.  There are a lot more kids in school than there were 25-30 years ago.

The odds of being the victim of a school shooting are very, very low.  Lower than they were when I went to school (just like the gun homicide rate in the US has dropped to about what half it was when I was a kid).

I worry a lot more about kids getting killed from commuting or walking to and from school.

• Like 8

It’s fucking horrific, but my guns still haven’t killed anyone.  I’m sure everyone advocating for gun control laws on here habe voluntarily turned in all of their guns, if you owned any in the first place.  Rogan and Crenshaw has an interesting discussion on this, it’s so complicated that any one reaction is probably going to be an over reaction and not solve the problem.  I don’t know the answer.  I have one kid in 1st grade and a toddler.  It fucking turns my stomach to even think of this happening in our community, but I don’t know the answer and I’m not going to shout from the rooftop that “this one thing”, whatever it may be, is going to solve the problem.  Truthfully, until our politicians start acting like fucking human beings and not deciding policies on sound bytes nothing will be solved.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's about the rate.  You are using raw numbers.  There are a lot more kids in school than there were 25-30 years ago.

The odds of being the victim of a school shooting are very, very low.  Lower than they were when I went to school (just like the gun homicide rate in the US has dropped to about what half it was when I was a kid).

I worry a lot more about kids getting killed from commuting or walking to and from school.

well ideally you'd be using rate and a moving average.  again, the people you're relying on are using a single data point for noisy data.  you can't do that. 

even using rate, school enrollment didn't triple between the late 80s and early 90s.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

It fucking turns my stomach to even think of this happening in our community, but I don’t know the answer and I’m not going to shout from the rooftop that “this one thing”, whatever it may be, is going to solve the problem.  Truthfully, until our politicians start acting like fucking human beings and not deciding policies on sound bytes nothing will be solved.  

The rational minds are needed to address this issue... I don't think anyone has ever been opposed to that. Nor has it ever been just "this one thing." 

My perception is that it sure seems like one particular political party in our country historically doesn't approach that stance in good faith. 

Edited by YChang

30 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

It’s fucking horrific, but my guns still haven’t killed anyone.  I’m sure everyone advocating for gun control laws on here habe voluntarily turned in all of their guns, if you owned any in the first place.  Rogan and Crenshaw has an interesting discussion on this, it’s so complicated that any one reaction is probably going to be an over reaction and not solve the problem.  I don’t know the answer.  I have one kid in 1st grade and a toddler.  It fucking turns my stomach to even think of this happening in our community, but I don’t know the answer and I’m not going to shout from the rooftop that “this one thing”, whatever it may be, is going to solve the problem.  Truthfully, until our politicians start acting like fucking human beings and not deciding policies on sound bytes nothing will be solved.  

16 minutes ago, YChang said:

The rational minds are needed to address this issue... I don't think anyone has ever been opposed to that. Nor has it ever been just "this one thing." 

My perception is that it sure seems like one particular political party in our country historically doesn't approach that stance in good faith. 

See the bolded above, and see the quote directly above.

I would LOVE to see that kind of thinking applied to: gun violence.  The war on drugs.  Immigration.  The threat of terrorism.  Just for starters.

Think I should waste a single second of my day hoping for that to happen?  Yeah, me neither. 

When we have one party that reacts to gun violence with "don't do anything, not a single thing with respect to gun control -- but actually wait, let's arm EVERYONE, including teachers!", and they react to illegal immigration with "deport everyone! build a wall!  close the border!", it's pretty clear we're not going to have a rational, good-faith discussion about anything.

But what do I know?  I'm just a half-messican gun owner who doesn't want my kids to get shot at school.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

I have 2 shotguns and a ruger .22 rifle. i would turn them over in a second if it meant meaningful gun control which could help prevent just one mass school shooting.

• Like 1

Positions everybody! Curtains going up on same tired, rote coverage and reaction.

Good to see the media got their hugging and crying photo in fast. Producers at CNN have the usual suspects on speed dial to come in and debate guns and leap to politics. Five shows in a row with the same content ought to provide some real insight for the viewers. All other networks will follow suit, so it's not just the lazy fucks at CNN.

It's also very very important not to mention the killer's name and parade a boring series of profiles of the victims. Sad faces and consoling voices from all news anchors as a nation tries to heal. RomaVicta vomits.

Maybe, just maybe, somebody should try another angle. Maybe the government should poor some money into several studies of what's going on. Why are Americans expressing their rage in killing sprees?

Maybe changing our public schools from giant prison-like institutions into more but smaller schools would lower the feeling of alienation.

Maybe guns aren't the problem and maybe they are. They're not the only problem.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Schools are safer than they were 30 years ago.  There is just a lot more media coverage plus social media now.

You say this every time, and you're wrong every time, and it's pointed out to you every time, and you keep saying it.

Just be honest and say your right to own guns is more important than other people's kids.  Just own it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See the bolded above, and see the quote directly above.

I would LOVE to see that kind of thinking applied to: gun violence.  The war on drugs.  Immigration.  The threat of terrorism.  Just for starters.

Think I should waste a single second of my day hoping for that to happen?  Yeah, me neither. 

When we have one party that reacts to gun violence with "don't do anything, not a single thing with respect to gun control -- but actually wait, let's arm EVERYONE, including teachers!", and they react to illegal immigration with "deport everyone! build a wall!  close the border!", it's pretty clear we're not going to have a rational, good-faith discussion about anything.

But what do I know?  I'm just a half-messican gun owner who doesn't want my kids to get shot at school.

See bolded part above.  No one wants to have a conversation.  You seemed to somewhat agree with what I was saying, but then promptly resorted to “but the republicans don’t want to do what we want”. No fuck that.  I can play that game too.  “But when you have one party who immediately says let’s confiscate all guns from law abiding citizens.  And lets solve the immigration issue by not having a border!”  Republicans suck. Democrats suck.  

term limits is a good start to solve most of our problems 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1