School shooting in California

Pancho

32 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I cannot imagine how someone's first reaction to news like this is "well, statistically, it's very unlikely for a kid to get shot at school." The odds may be low, but the stakes are about as high as they can get. That "fraction of a point" is people. I DGAF if y'all keep your hunting rifles and your pistols and whatnot, but for the love of Christ can we at least implement universal background checks and close the gun show loophole? I mean sure, maybe it won't solve the problem, but it won't hurt anyone and best case scenario, it could save a few lives. Those lives could be my children, or someone else's loved ones. How is that not worth the effort? 

People want Reed to be out of prison, I don't think emotions without the facts is not a good thing.

19 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Here's a fun set of stats:

The combined population of England and Wales in 2018 was almost 60 million.

The population of America in 2018 was 327 million.

In 2018, there were 732 homicides in England and Wales.

In 2018, there were 15,498 homicides in America.

So there were a little over 5 times as many people in America as in England/Wales.  And there were over 21 times as many homicides.

They watch the same movies, listen to the same music, and play the same video games over there.

So what could possibly account for the difference in murder rate?

You're gonna say mental health issues in America, aren't you?  Because that's the party line.

Except...

Approximately 1 in 5 people in America experience a mental health issue each year.  https://www.nami.org/learn-more/mental-health-by-the-numbers

Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK experience a mental health issue each year.  https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/statistics-and-facts-about-mental-health/how-common-are-mental-health-problems/#.Xc4Wr7dMHqs

So now what?  What's your next bullshit explanation other than the one that's plainly obvious to anyone who takes an honest look?

Good luck...

Now do Mexico!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Now I know you will say, guns are different because of X, Y, Z. Again, you could be right, I don’t know. I’ve just seen this movie before, and the people who want change usually don’t stop until they get that change 

I didn’t want to longcat your entire post but I don’t necessarily disagree. I do believe firearms are different, in some ways, but not so different they don’t share similarities with your examples. I believe they are going to continue to be restricted. I believe the “weapons of war” type firearms will be eventually phased out through clever laws.  I think I will one day teach my grandson to shoot skeet, legally.  Too many of both sides of the aisle keep firearms. This isn’t as red and blue as people want to make it. 

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

I cannot imagine how someone's first reaction to news like this is "well, statistically, it's very unlikely for a kid to get shot at school." The odds may be low, but the stakes are about as high as they can get. That "fraction of a point" is people. I DGAF if y'all keep your hunting rifles and your pistols and whatnot, but for the love of Christ can we at least implement universal background checks and close the gun show loophole? I mean sure, maybe it won't solve the problem, but it won't hurt anyone and best case scenario, it could save a few lives. Those lives could be my children, or someone else's loved ones. How is that not worth the effort? 

But you don’t understand, it’s a slippery slope.  #nrabroughttoyoubyrussia

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn’t want to longcat your entire post but I don’t necessarily disagree. I do believe firearms are different, in some ways, but not so different they don’t share similarities with your examples. I believe they are going to continue to be restricted. I believe the “weapons of war” type firearms will be eventually phased out through clever laws.  I think I will one day teach my grandson to shoot skeet, legally.  Too many of both sides of the aisle keep firearms. This isn’t as red and blue as people want to make it. 

I think you will one day teach your grandson how to shoot too, and legally. I really don’t think change will happen in my lifetime. But maybe one day sportsman will be able to shoot skeet or hunt elk, and pay to do it. But they won’t be allowed to keep guns in their possession. The guns will be kept in their lease or shooting range. I think things like that might be in the future. 

Suspect identified as Nathaniel Berhow, who turned 16 the day of the shooting. Was a former Boy Scout and current member of the school track team. Apparently even had a girlfriend. His dad died two years ago and had previously been arrested for domestic violence against the mom. Berhow shot 5 students total, killing 2. Used his very last bullet to shoot himself in the head. He somehow survived and is currently in "grave" condition at hospital. Entire shooting was captured on surveillance video and was over in about 20 seconds. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Suspect identified as Nathaniel Berhow, who turned 16 the day of the shooting. Was a former Boy Scout and current member of the school track team. Apparently even had a girlfriend. His dad died two years ago and had previously been arrested for domestic violence against the mom. Berhow shot 5 students total, killing 2. Used his very last bullet to shoot himself in the head. He somehow survived and is currently in "grave" condition at hospital. Entire shooting was captured on surveillance video and was over in about 20 seconds. 

Just read on CNN.com that his Instagram, which said: "Saugus have fun at school tomorrow" under his name and was changed AFTER the shooting. Authorities are trying to figure out who else might have had access to the account.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/us/california-school-shooting/index.html

Edited by C-Man

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Just read on CNN.com that his Instagram, which said: "Saugus have fun at school tomorrow" under his name and was changed AFTER the shooting. Authorities are trying to figure out who else might have had access to the account.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/us/california-school-shooting/index.html

That's addressed in the bottom of the heavy article. Account was not affiliated with the shooter. Whoever had the account deleted the bio and posted a picture of a clown before the account got suspended. Just a troll clout chasing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, austingirl said:

This is the point I've harped on since day one.  Will it end school/mass shootings?  No.  Might it stop ONE major shooting from happening?  Possibly, and even probably.  And that is all the reason we need.  Because the lives saved could be my kid, or yours.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, austingirl said:

I’m genuinely curious what you’re talking about. I’ve bought two guns, one from a gun store and one from a gun show. Got my background checked both times.  Never seen or heard of anybody legally buying a gun and not getting their background checked. 

Where is this taking place?

I’m genuinely curious what you’re talking about. I’ve bought two guns, one from a gun store and one from a gun show. Got my background checked both times.  Never seen or heard of anybody legally buying a gun and not getting their background checked. 

Gun shows
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I don’t believe it’s required for long arms at gun shows. But like you, everything I’ve ever bought has been called in and checked.  The only ones that aren’t are grandpas guns that I inherited. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Gun shows

The vast majority of purchases at gun shows are from FFL holders. All such sales require federal background checks. Sales between individuals do occur (whether at gun show or not), and state laws vary on background checks. Most states do not require background checks on individual sales. All sales between individuals residing in different states must have a background check by an FFL holder in the buyer’s state.

I sold a shotgun to a guy once, and we met in a parking lot for the exchange. No background check was required in Texas. If I met him at a gun show, we could have done the same deal. I don’t think that’s the gun show loophole that people imagine. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The vast majority of purchases at gun shows are from FFL holders. All such sales require federal background checks. Sales between individuals do occur (whether at gun show or not), and state laws vary on background checks. Most states do not require background checks on individual sales. All sales between individuals residing in different states must have a background check by an FFL holder in the buyer’s state.

I sold a shotgun to a guy once, and we met in a parking lot for the exchange. No background check was required in Texas. If I met him at a gun show, we could have done the same deal. I don’t think that’s the gun show loophole that people imagine. 

This. It's hilarious how much misunderstanding exists over something so simple. There is no special privilege given to anyone who goes to a gun show. It's just stupidity parroted by liberals to try to demonize and end gun shows. 

• Like 1

“In keeping with the spirit, as well as the intent, of all applicable gun laws, it is necessary that all dealers / vendors, who sell firearms for a portion, or all, of their livelihood must possess a federal firearms license. Persons who sell guns from their personal collection, and who do not derive their livelihood from the sale of firearms nor make a profit on sales, are not required to have a FFL.”
Not sure how or who determines or polices the personal collection/livelihood thingy. I do know someone who has rented a table at a gun show who does not have an FFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Criminals with illegally owned guns sure hope so.

Why would they hope that? Are you saying criminals with illegally owned guns currently do not commit crime because of private gun ownership? From all the people I knew or know with guns, I’ve never heard of them stopping a criminal. 

1 hour ago, Ths71 said:

“In keeping with the spirit, as well as the intent, of all applicable gun laws, it is necessary that all dealers / vendors, who sell firearms for a portion, or all, of their livelihood must possess a federal firearms license. Persons who sell guns from their personal collection, and who do not derive their livelihood from the sale of firearms nor make a profit on sales, are not required to have a FFL.”
Not sure how or who determines or polices the personal collection/livelihood thingy. I do know someone who has rented a table at a gun show who does not have an FFL.

Well lots of people do this that are selling all kinds of different things...beef jerky, leather goods, firearm accessories, ect

Why would they hope that? Are you saying criminals with illegally owned guns currently do not commit crime because of private gun ownership? From all the people I knew or know with guns, I’ve never heard of them stopping a criminal. 

Things like home invasions would certainly go down when the criminals had to give their guns to a gun club. 

22 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Generally speaking, federal law does not currently require private-party sellers to ask for ID or perform background checks as long as the gun isn't crossing state lines and isn't one of the gun types regulated by the National Firearms Act. Several states do have background check requirements beyond what the feds require, though, and I guess it's possible for private sellers to do their own background checks as a matter of personal policy.

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
School shootings would probably still happen a lot because suburban kids can easily get all those black market guns. 

My guns will not be used in a school shooting.

what does that mean?  

Are you trying to say that your guns are inaccessable to anyone but you?  

what does that mean?  
Are you trying to say that your guns are inaccessable to anyone but you?  
My guns are in a safe. None of my family members have issues that would make them take one out and murder people. My guns won't kill anyone.

Also, I have keys to my chevy truck and nobody else does except my family. None of my family has issues. My chevy wont kill anyone either.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

My guns are in a safe. None of my family members have issues that would make them take one out and murder people. My guns won't kill anyone.

Also, I have keys to my chevy truck and nobody else does except my family. None of my family has issues. My chevy wont kill anyone either.

Awesome.  

Meanwhile, everybody who has every had a family member flip the fuck out and hurt someone knew it would happen someday.  "I knew from the day Junior was born that he'd end up shooting up a shopping mall".

Good job dude.

You're convinced that none of your family members could murder anyone. 
Ergo, folks with family members that committed murder must have know it could happen.
Yea jackass, they wont. And if my immediate family wanted to they couldnt. My guns are in a safe and only my wife can access them. Guess what...she wont go on a 3 state killing spree either. Also, and guess what again, my legally owned guns will stay in my safe and not sneak out at 3:30a one Wednesday morning and start murdering people at wal mart.

Also told my truck to not run over people if that makes you sleep better.

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Yea jackass, they wont. And if my immediate family wanted to they couldnt. My guns are in a safe and only my wife can access them. Guess what...she wont go on a 3 state killing spree either. Also, and guess what again, my legally owned guns will stay in my safe and not sneak out at 3:30a one Wednesday morning and start murdering people at wal mart.

Also told my truck to not run over people if that makes you sleep better.

Well thank the lord that your guns won’t kill anyone. All we need is the other 62 million to get on the same page. Should we send a memo?

There are some people who use heroin responsibly. It doesn’t mean it should be legal

Just guns? Calling bullshit 

Well ya got me there. I think he had some ammo and vintage knives too.

“Official vendors, who may or may not hold federal firearm licenses, rent space from promoters and sell firearms, accessories, and other paraphernalia.”

Well thank the lord that your guns won’t kill anyone. All we need is the other 62 million to get on the same page. Should we send a memo?
There are some people who use heroin responsibly. It doesn’t mean it should be legal
You know how many lives will be saved when I turn my guns in? Zero.

Work the problem. My guns aren't the problem.