Interesting funfact: 1989 California medfly attack

crash_davis

The internet is a fascinating place. Look at one picture in Reddit which then leads down a rabbit hole to discover some cool interesting history and facts.

Saw this pic on Reddit. It's of a plane and it's flight path (neon green). This plane flies the same route everyday @ 2000 ft.

ac6ai21cqey31.jpg

Yesterday's flight path.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N65V

The below links are the reason for the plane and daily flight paths.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PDEP/treatment/notices/2019/SanBernardinoCounty/MedFly-NOT-DevoreSanBernardinoCounty2019-10-14.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_California_medfly_attack

TLDR: a plane flies everyday over LA releasing sterile fruit flies from 2,000ft in the air to combat the invasive Mediterranean Fruit Fly which became an infestation from a bioterrorist attack in 1989 by a group known ass the "The Breeders" as financial retaliation for the environmental damage caused by the state's Malathion aerial spraying; the group's members were never identified. Subsequently, three months after "The Breeders" announced the medfly release, the state ended its decade-long Malathion program and sought alternate ways to handle destructive insects.

30 years later, the state is still combating this bioterrorist attack.

Fascinating shit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

This begs the question of how much shit goes on around the country that people have no idea about. Maybe the tinfoil hat people are onto something?

Similar thought crossed my mind the other day. I don't recall now what started me thinking about it but it was along the lines of "I wonder what ever became of that news story?". Unsolved murders etc.. or even interesting inventions that were reported but never saw the light of day.

Gotdamn Medfly was a big deal at the time.

There was an old story (20+ years ago) where a dude comes into an ER in New Mexico with some sort of injuries. Doc and nurses proceed to operate, cut him open and then the whole operating room passes out from some gas released from the dude's body from being cut open. Nothing was ever resolved or explained up on that story. That definitely has my interest.

Has to be alien.

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

There was an old story (20+ years ago) where a dude comes into an ER in New Mexico with some sort of injuries. Doc and nurses proceed to operate, cut him open and then the whole operating room passes out from some gas released from the dude's body from being cut open. Nothing was ever resolved or explained up on that story. That definitely has my interest.

Has to be alien.

I remember that story too. Prolly someone in the OR had the chupacabra burrito for lunch but didn't want to admit to being the culprit.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The internet is a fascinating place. Look at one picture in Reddit which then leads down a rabbit hole to discover some cool interesting history and facts.

Saw this pic on Reddit. It's of a plane and it's flight path (neon green). This plane flies the same route everyday @ 2000 ft.

ac6ai21cqey31.jpg

Yesterday's flight path.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N65V

The below links are the reason for the plane and daily flight paths.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PDEP/treatment/notices/2019/SanBernardinoCounty/MedFly-NOT-DevoreSanBernardinoCounty2019-10-14.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_California_medfly_attack

TLDR: a plane flies everyday over LA releasing sterile fruit flies from 2,000ft in the air to combat the invasive Mediterranean Fruit Fly which became an infestation from a bioterrorist attack in 1989 by a group known ass the "The Breeders" as financial retaliation for the environmental damage caused by the state's Malathion aerial spraying; the group's members were never identified. Subsequently, three months after "The Breeders" announced the medfly release, the state ended its decade-long Malathion program and sought alternate ways to handle destructive insects.

30 years later, the state is still combating this bioterrorist attack.

Fascinating shit.

That flight path isn't over San Bernardino County.

dataVLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4E9-b

18 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

What happened to the kid after he graduated from aggy?

Sadly, she's too fucked up even for aggy.  "Charge Syndrome".   It's really bad.   I lost track of these folks several years ago (they divorced, each moved away, I divorced and moved, etc), but the girl was still in diapers at age 6 or so last time I saw her.  

Has to be alien.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gloria_Ramirez#Exposure_to_methylamine
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Livermore Labs postulated that Ramirez had been using dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), a solvent used as a powerful degreaser, as a home remedy for pain. Users of this substance report that it has a garlic-like taste.[2] Sold in gel form at hardware stores, it could also explain the greasy appearance of Ramirez's body.[2][3] The Livermore scientists theorized that the DMSO in Ramirez's system might have built up owing to urinary blockage caused by her kidney failure.[3] Oxygen administered by the paramedics would have combined with the DMSO to form dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2). DMSO2 is known to crystallize at room temperature, and crystals were observed in some of Ramirez's drawn blood.[2] Electric shocks administered during emergency defibrillation could have then converted the DMSO2 into dimethyl sulfate (DMSO4), the highly toxic dimethyl ester of sulfuric acid, exposure to which could have caused some of the reported symptoms of the emergency department staff.[4] The Livermore scientists postulated on The New Detectives that the change in temperature of the blood drawn, from the 98.6 °F (37 °C) of Ramirez' body to the 64 degrees Fahrenheit (18 °C) of the emergency department, may have contributed to its conversion from DMSO2 into DMSO4. This, however, has not been confirmed.

That's a shit load of coincidences but it's sounds more plausible than my hypothesis. Alien!

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

ac6ai21cqey31.jpg

This map is useless to me and my colorblind brethren.