Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)

jimmyjazz

Is Willie doing OK?  I saw him on a late night show a few months back and he seemed very winded.  He subsequently canceled some dates then went back on the road.  This clip from the CMA Awards makes me wonder if he's struggling with a lung issue.  He just seems low on energy and isn't singing well (although he nailed the high notes).

Oh yeah, Kacey.  Hubba.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think he's had lung issues for a while.  Was touting the effectiveness of stem cell therapy a while back in an interview with Dan Rather or someone. 

He was painful to watch last night. 

This.  It's been widely rumored for a while he has lung issues.  

Saw him at ACL Fest a couple years back and it was quite noticeable.  His guitar playing was on point, but he was hardly singing mostly speaking the lyrics.  

It made my heart hurt. 

42 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

We don't need a new thread every time someone realizes that Willie isn't immortal.  

OK, you be sure to police me and go ahead and post links to those other threads, because I searched to no avail, although it seems we are always beholden to formats with lousy search capability.  My bad, Dad.

• Like 1

I’m going to his show at Billy Bob’s tomorrow night. Taking my old man. Our first concert together was Willie at Stubb’s. 
My dad is in horrible health as well. This will most likely be our last concert to attend. Hopefully Willie can put on a decent show. 

You’re getting a show from an 86 year old man. Calibrate you’re expectations appropriately.

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You’re getting a show from an 86 year old man. Calibrate you’re expectations appropriately.

I understand he is 86. I know what to expect. 

I’ve seen Willie many times over to past 20+ years. I figure this may be the last time I see him play, and it most certainly will be my dad’s last. I am hoping a couple of songs sound great, and he makes it through his set without having to be helped off the stage. To me, that would be a good show. 

• Like 1

Dude wants to die onstage, I’d say he’s getting close. I, for one, will enjoy every last second of him drawing breath. He’s a goddamn national treasure and if he wants to stand there and wheeze out Rainbow Connection, then goddamnit let the man wheeze out Rainbow Connection. At least he had the balls to stand there and wheeze instead of lip syncing like that coward Garth Brooks. 

• Like 5

what he needs to do is get off the road, get in to a sauna every day, sleep 10 hours at a clip, and save up every ounce of energy he possibly can for one last july 4th picnic, and do it at DKR.  at night. 9pm start.  2020.  A line in the sand.  I would like to see all the remaining titans of the 20th century call it next year.  The sunset.

Go out on top..

Together.

Willie's an 86 year old hard partier.  The tick tock keeps ticking and eventually he will become another lost Austin treasure. Like I always say, if I died right now I would have to say that I have lived better than most.  Willie's gonna keep being willie as long as he can, and I hope it's a while longer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, jimmyjazz said:

This clip from the CMA Awards makes me wonder if he's struggling with a lung issue.  He just seems low on energy and isn't singing well (although he nailed the high notes).

COPD is no joke. In its advanced stages, it's a fight to move or even breathe as one can seemingly never get enough air. It is progressive and incurable.

I'm no doctor, but from the video you posted, that'd be my guess as you can see him gasping just standing there while Kacey sings.

The man's a legend and wants to go out performing. Enjoy him while you can.

He will probably go like Colonial Bruce Hampton who died on his birthday, during a show at the Fox Theater.   During the encore are a 4 hour show. People thought he was faking it. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/05/02/526538126/colonel-bruce-hampton-dies-after-collapsing-on-stage-during-his-own-birthday-con

• Like 1

He will probably go like Colonial Bruce Hampton who died on his birthday, during a show at the Fox Theater.   During the encore are a 4 hour show. People thought he was faking it. 
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/05/02/526538126/colonel-bruce-hampton-dies-after-collapsing-on-stage-during-his-own-birthday-con

We can only hope we are all so lucky.

12 hours ago, PantsTent said:

The sports radio guys yesterday morning went with a "breaking news...Willie Nelson" and my jaw dropped fearing the worst. But it was just a joke to announce the no smoking.  I was not amused.

Was listening to the same program and had the same reaction.

On 12/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Personally, I'd prefer to keel over front and center while Aaron Neville sings "Amazing Grace", or maybe while Paul Westerberg sings "Skyway", but I damn sure don't want to go out at a jam band concert.

Well, I was speaking generally about a player going out playing, but hey, if you want to sling some shit at jam bands in the process, be my guest. 

Though I have to say, I'm really sad I never saw the Allman's and I saw Dead & Co. this summer and had a real good time.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'd have liked to have seen the Allman Brothers.

Gregg Allman was at Gruene Hall around 2010 and I still kick myself in the ass for not going to that...or hell, for not even making an attempt to go.

• 2 months later...

GO ahead, neg away.  I give a flying fuck about what passes as action in your life.  I got tickets to go see him and I hope he's doing well.  It's better to push good vibes into the universe than be related to you, bluto.  

He's going strong.  And your wife's a whore.

Edited by Lobo

• jimmyjazz changed the title to Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)