Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)

jimmyjazz

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Willie's 4th of July Picnic is at Q2 Stadium in Austin again this year.  The seats I paid $150 for last year are $199 this year.  We probably won't go this year.  If you are going, get seats on the side with Sections 108-118 to avoid most of the sun.

Their no reentry rule will keep me from going again. There were a few early acts I wanted to see last year (Steve Earle leading off? WTF?) but I didn't want to sit in that heat all day and listen to the middle of the day acts, so we just went down there in time for Tyler Childers and the rest of the show. Agree on the seating situation. 

30 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Their no reentry rule will keep me from going again. There were a few early acts I wanted to see last year (Steve Earle leading off? WTF?) but I didn't want to sit in that heat all day and listen to the middle of the day acts, so we just went down there in time for Tyler Childers and the rest of the show. Agree on the seating situation. 

We went last year because my wife, a native Austinite, had never seen Willie.  We were there for the entire day - mainly because I wanted to see Steve Earle.  Particle Kid, one of Willie's sons, was awful.  Although I wouldn't mind seeing Shaky Graves and Dwight Yoakum, I don't want to pay $200 per ticket this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Willie Nelson 90th birthday two-day concert with Chris Stapleton to Snoop Dogg is 'historic music event'

636880824691829556-bryan-alexander.jpg?wBryan Alexander
USA TODAY

Willie Nelson's Los Angeles 90th birthday celebration is destined for the concert history books.

"Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90," the already power-packed two-night event at the Hollywood Bowl on April 29 (Nelson's actual birthday) and April 30, has blown up to epic proportions with late-breaking additions. 

"This is one of those weekends that people are going to be talking about forever," musician Lyle Lovett told USA TODAY from the red carpet backstage at the Hollywood Bowl before the concert began Saturday. "I got the word, and I said, just tell me where. I was honored. I flew up from Austin on Southwest and everybody was going to the concert. It was a party."

IMG_1278.thumb.jpeg.a35d369fed753863a0ce02338ca0ff44.jpeg

The concert program has expanded.

"It's just getting bigger and bigger by the moment," says concert executive producer Keith Wortman. "And if anyone deserves this, it's ole Willie boy." 

Nelson and his team have been eyeing this concert date since the music legend's 85th birthday and eventually landed on the Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl.

"We thought that this iconic venue would be really cool," says Wortman, who spoke to USA TODAY Thursday after watching Nelson rehearse a segment onstage with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. 

"These two old friends playing tunes together, that's what makes Willie the happiest," says Wortman. "That's how he's doing his birthday, with all of his friends and family coming up to play together."

Who is playing at Willie Nelson's 90th birthday concert?

The list is staggering, with eclectic acts from Snoop Dogg to Shooter Jennings set to hit the stage to honor Nelson, who is in the seventh-decade of his iconic music career.

"We put a thoughtful list together of all of Willie's close friends and family of musicians that he's either recorded with or toured with," says Wortman. "And that just happens to be a very large list."

That includes Beck, Billy Strings, Bobby Weir, Booker T. Jones, Buddy Cannon, Charley Crockett, Chris Stapleton, Daniel Lanois, Dave Matthews, Dwight Yoakam, Edie Brickell, Emmylou Harris, Gary Clark Jr., George Strait, Jack Johnson, Kris Kristofferson, Leon Bridges, Lily Meola, Lukas Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Margo Price, Miranda Lambert, Neil Young, Norah Jones, Orville Peck, Particle Kid, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Sheryl Crow, Stephen Stills, Sturgill Simpson, The Avett Brothers, The Chicks, The Lumineers, Tom Jones, Tyler Childers and Ziggy Marley.

What other celebrities will honor Willie Nelson?

Due to the Hollywood location, stars such as Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, Gabriel Iglesias, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson will serve as presenters. 

The birthday celebrant will perform throughout on both nights and expect many duets, trios and multi-artist jams.

"And we have a few more surprises up our sleeves that we'll keep up our sleeves until they happen at the concert," says Wortman. 

It's already the hottest ticket in town (single tickets start at $458 on Stubhub) and the concert event promises to be talked-about for many Willie Nelson birthdays to come.

"This is truly shaping up to be a historic music event," says Wortman. "I'm not sure if we're going to be wheeling out a cake on the stage, but there's going to be cake somewhere."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/04/29/willie-nelson-90th-birthday-concert-best-moments/11754882002/

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dang.  Would have been nice to have done it in Austin, but at least they got it done.  Concert film coming out?

Why would this go down in a state where weed isn’t legal?

Willie & Amigos went to a state with freedom and have had a hell of a birthday party so far. Maybe when Texas joins the 21st Century, milestones for stoners will happen there as well.

For this birthday party, Willie chose Hollywood’s bowl.

IMG_1328.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're right, I forgot that nobody, including Willie, smokes weed in Austin.

EDIT:  I also forgot that the 2023 Picnic is at <checks notes> Q2 Stadium . . . in Austin.

You’re slow, but you catch on eventually. 

I would expect this birthday concert to be a multi-episode “series” on a streaming platform. 

Each episode could contain interviews from beforehand, afterward, and backstage during the show.

Probably a few songs per episode. 

Last night was over 3 hours worth and there will be more artists tonight.

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You’re slow, but you catch on eventually. 

I would expect this birthday concert to be a multi-episode “series” on a streaming platform. 

Each episode could contain interviews from beforehand, afterward, and backstage during the show.

Probably a few songs per episode. 

Last night was over 3 hours worth and there will be more artists tonight.

Well, thanks for that, and fuck you too.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Fuck man, Neil Young and Stephen Stills opened this fucking thing with "For What it's Worth".  

Unless you’re talking about Sunday night’s show… which would be Sunday afternoon’s show if they started when you posted, that’s not quite how it went down.

Last night started like this. Here are some snippets from the LA Times.

IMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.fb983000aff134cf252afcd4e8484f96.jpeg

IMG_1351.thumb.jpeg.9fb58feed7657172204d992eb7eadab9.jpeg

IMG_1352.thumb.jpeg.51aa351f675e271c210b115db99c4be1.jpeg

IMG_1354.thumb.jpeg.98e889c30fa99dbd49bf8b09a99c5318.jpeg

IMG_1355.thumb.jpeg.35e2843178e4cc392b1a0311026a4a1b.jpeg

IMG_1356.thumb.jpeg.4355ed0fb4673a37b0c1332b9d11b676.jpeg

IMG_1357.thumb.jpeg.86ec1ea6b2f4362b76d9a586d663d60c.jpeg

IMG_1358.thumb.jpeg.b8aeb4ba1e12f983813d0eb7f3df059e.jpeg

If Stills & Young came back for Night #2, hopefully they have sobered a bit and focused a little more than they seemed to have for Night #1.

• jimmyjazz changed the title to Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)

Willie Nelson has been named an inductee for the 2023 class of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Nelson is among six other artists in the performer category, including Kate Bush, Sheryl Crow, Missy Elliott, George Michael, Rage Against the Machine and The Spinners. This is the first time Nelson is on the performer ballot.

https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/05/03/willie-nelson-inductee-2023-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/70179549007/

On 4/30/2023 at 9:22 PM, HenryJames said:

Fantastic. Thanks for posting. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Y’all should watch this just because

Bookmarked for the evening of February 1.  The intro has me ready to go though, but for the saddest bass guitar soundcheck ever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...