WiFi/internet connection issue

shadetree

I am having issues with WiFi randomly losing internet connection. WiFi signal itself remains strong. I have a crappy AT&T modem that I disabled WiFi on, and ran Ethernet wire to an Asus router that broadcasts WiFi (with a couple of access points throughout the house). Have had not issues with the setup for 5 years, until this week. I’ve checked the Ethernet wire to the asus router and it’s getting the connection. Just intermittently losing internet connectivity via WiFi. All of my tv’s are wired connections and I’m having no issues with those (watch PSvue fine on them). I’m assuming maybe the asus router is dying and maybe needs to be replaced? Something else I’m not thinking of? Thanks

My 5 year old Apple Airport WiFi was on the fritz all week. Kid was complaining, but I was ok with that. Then last night I was hosting a conference call and Wifi died. I work from home and that shit can’t happen. Hit Best Buy (sorry no coupon) and picked up a couple google mesh routers to better cover the whole house. 

Holy Hell these things are fast. Feel like I just moved out of the Stone Age. 

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/google-wifi

3533FE0A-A83F-4083-9887-5AE277533ECF.jpeg

11 hours ago, torre said:

https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=losinig+wifi+connecton&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

I normally go to tenforums.com for issues.    Check the above link and use search bar for further inquiries.

woah in a move that makes total sense, sevenforums moved to tenforums!

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

All consumer routers suck. 

i mean, not everyone has a need for some high end Ubiquiti router. generally most people are probably going to be ok buying the $60 TP Link that Wirecutter recommends for most day to day usage or investing in something mesh-based if their house is weirdly shaped or they want ease of use to cover everything

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, not everyone has a need for some high end Ubiquiti router. generally most people are probably going to be ok buying the $60 TP Link that Wirecutter recommends for most day to day usage or investing in something mesh-based if their house is weirdly shaped or they want ease of use to cover everything

I'm not suggesting otherwise. Consumer routers don't necessarily suck because of their performance, but because they are all erratic and buggy, particularly after a year or two. They shouldn't need to be replaced regularly, but in my experience it is usually necessary.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm not suggesting otherwise. Consumer routers don't necessarily suck because of their performance, but because they are all erratic and buggy, particularly after a year or two. They shouldn't need to be replaced regularly, but in my experience it is usually necessary.  

Any idea why that is?  Doesn't really make sense to me, but seems to be a nearly universal thing (needing reboots every couple of days after a few years).  It's not like the software is constantly being modified like a PC.  

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Any idea why that is?  Doesn't really make sense to me, but seems to be a nearly universal thing (needing reboots every couple of days after a few years).  It's not like the software is constantly being modified like a PC.  

Not really. The firmware is usually a mess, and generally consumer routers are security nightmares. And I'm sure there is an element of heat and dust buildup that combined with cheap internal components ultimately cause failure. Unlike most other electronics, routers are always active and pretty much always running hot.  I've also heard that it is usually the capacitors that go out, taking everything else with them as they go bad. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not really. The firmware is usually a mess, and generally consumer routers are security nightmares. And I'm sure there is an element of heat and dust buildup that combined with cheap internal components ultimately cause failure. Unlike most other electronics, routers are always active and pretty much always running hot.  I've also heard that it is usually the capacitors that go out, taking everything else with them as they go bad. 

Yeah good point about always running.

Like all other WiFi related threads, I recommend the Eero mesh system. It’s as easy as it could possibly be for the non technically inclined and the performance is fantastic.

http:// https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/eero?ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&ds_rl=1268652&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodKBkZjt5QIVkcDICh3PyguVEAAYAiAAEgJWxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

I think I found the issue. The Ethernet cable running out of the wall to the router had one of the CAT 5 wires loose. Not sure how that happened. Kids had moved the router around while playing, so I will blame them. Redid the connector wiring and seems to be working fine now.
Will probably move to a mesh network when this dies. Not sure how many devices I will need to cover house and TV by the pool, but I guess I will find out when the time comes.

I've posted this in other threads, but with the Eero mesh i posted the link to above I get a 50 mb up and down connection out by my son's trampoline on the other side of the garage. It's probably 100 feet and 6 walls away from where the signal originates.  We have a 150 mb connection. 

I have an ASUS modem/router. After a couple years the wifi will crap out. I'm on my 3rd one. This last time I just bought a Tenda router and hooked it up to the ASUS since the modem part was still working fine. Much better coverage and speed with 5G.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Dahobbs said:

alright, that makes sense and i agree 100% with what you said