Dallas | Italian

C-Man

35 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Have heard Amore in Snider Plaza is the best red sauce Italian in town.  Anyone ever been?

http://amoreitalian.net/

My former in-laws used to go often. It's been 10+ years since I've been. It's under new ownership as of the last couple years. It's a nice neighborhood joint. Very old school atmosphere. Worth a try IMO.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, DDD Dad said:

Should include Adelmo's for consideration.  Have yet to make it to the new location, however.

My first-ever visit was about a month or so ago and it was pretty good. I think the owners know every single person that walks in the door -- it skews older, that's for sure.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, DDD Dad said:

Prego is dog food.

Sorry. That place is ass.

Former in-laws used to go there. I think it's a staple among the Park Cities crowd. I haven't been in many years.

Edited by C-Man

On 4/11/2018 at 12:56 PM, C-Man said:

Haven't been in a long time but always enjoyed Prego on Greenville. Bugatti's at Preston/Royal is really good.

My bad. Haven't been to Bugatti's. I was thinking of Ruggeri's at Preston/Royal.

Just now, C-Man said:

Former in-laws used to go there. I think it's a staple among the Park Cities crowd. I haven't been in many years.

It is.  I think the big draw is that they serve very large portions.  I don't see the attraction of large portions of shitty Italian food, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Carbone's last night for the first time.  Thought it was solid.  Got the veal parm and shrimp scampi linguine as entrees.  Veal parm was pretty good, but we both thought the shrimp linguine with its simple but tasty sauce was better.

Lucia and Nonna are on a different level IMO, but Carbone's does seem like a nice dependable option.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, Spoosner said:

Went to Carbone's last night for the first time.  Thought it was solid.  Got the veal parm and shrimp scampi linguine as entrees.  Veal parm was pretty good, but we both thought the shrimp linguine with its simple but tasty sauce was better.

Lucia and Nonna are on a different level IMO, but Carbone's does seem like a nice dependable option.

Carbone's is terrific. They do 1/2 price wine on Monday nights.

Fachini opened this weekend in Highland Park Village.  Upstairs from Perfect Union.  Disappointing to say the least.  Staff in tuxes and white table cloth place with prices to match.  But the food was average at best.  I’ll chalk it up to needing to work the kinks out and hope they get their shit together.  Carbones, Nona and Sprezza are all great so I don’t think they just forgot how to cook.  But they’ll need to step it up substantially with those prices and that level of formal presentation in that location.

Meanwhile, Perfect Union was rockin. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tried The Charles in the Design District last night.  It was amazing!  Best new restaurant in Dallas in a long long time.  Service, food, decor, price...all spot on.  Takes a lot to impress me and Ive been pretty bored with the Dallas restaurant scene lately.  But this place knocked the cover off it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 8:49 PM, C-Man said:

Still haven't made initial trek to Lucia -- need to knock that out some time soon. Like Sprezza quite a bit -- best fresh sourdough I've ever had -- as well as Barsott's Carbone's.

A close friend of my wife's along with her (the friend's) husband own Lucia.  One of the best meals I have eaten.  They just opened up a new place called Macellaio.  Have not had the chance to try it yet. 

Edited by dcbc

I checked out Macellaio on opening night.  I was by myself and just stopped in for a quick bite and to congratulate the owners.   So, I didn't have the complete experience.

By design, it is totally different than Lucia.  It is dominated by a large square bar with a cocktail scene.  It is loud.  As in very loud.  It was just one night and so it's hard to tell, but the douche factor was up there.  Group of 20-something guys next to me kept trying to one up each other with the size of deal they were closing and there were sunglasses being worn indoors.  I hope it evolves into a more neighborhood friendly spot, but I don't know.

The bites I ate were ok.  The small plate menu is made up of words that I don't know, some Italian some Mediterranean-ish.  Eggy crouquettes were good in a nice tomato sauce; a dish of bean puree was overwhelmed by way too much Gruyere; a tomato salad was fine, but it was just a tomato salad.   But, I don't think you will come here for the small plates.   You will come here for the house cured meats.  The salumi selection is amazing.  Judging by what you get at Lucia, it likely will be spectacular.  Since it was just me and I was in a hurry, I didn't choose the salumi.  But, I bet that will be what we do the most:  enjoying wine (exclusively Italian) and meats with good bread.  I'll report on that later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out Mille Lire last night.  New(ish) place off Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs next to Mattitos.  The service was so bad, we walked out half way through and went somewhere else.  Haven't done that in I don't know how long.  The space was okay and the little bit of food we did eat was decent, but that is one of the worst run restaurants I've been in in a long long time.  GM standing around with his thumb up his ass all night will do that I guess.  Place was maybe 1/8 full on a Thursday night at 8:00 so clearly I'm not the only one.  Will not go back.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Checked out Circo last night.  Had kind of high hopes...

The good: pretty cool space

The bad: literally everything else

You couldn’t pay me to go back there.  Food was inedible and service was laughable.  About 20 total people in the place on a Friday night and it’s been open about a month.  They are so fucked.

• Like 1

The Circo opening is a little bizarre. I think you are on to something about a spectacular crash and burn. Remember the Il Mulino in Dallas experiment? It didn’t last long and at least they started out on fire and then faded fast.

Circo did fairly nicely in Las Vegas at the Bellagio for quite a long time. It’s now gone, and the NYC location closed and is supposedly relocating.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Has anyone tried Saint Rocco's in Trinity Groves? 

Yes.  It was some of the worst in Dallas.  I’d probably go to Macaroni Grill or Olve Garden before I’d go back there.  Just awful.  As has been my experience with pretty much everything in Trinity Groves.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I was kind of afraid of that, the lady has been suggesting it to try.  I think she saw the view where it overlooks downtown and thinks that is cool and means it's good.  I find it odd that I never hear of any place in the Groves that is a must, shame.

I'm struggling to see what kind of a view of downtown that you'd have other than just looking out the windows in the front door.

As far as Trinity Groves goes, I do like the place on the backside that is/was owned by Bob Sambol. It's a good business meeting lunch spot. It's not great by any stretch but it's probably the best thing over there now other than OSK or maybe LUCK. The BBQ place is a crime against humanity.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I'm struggling to see what kind of a view of downtown that you'd have other than just looking out the windows in the front door.

As far as Trinity Groves goes, I do like the place on the backside that is/was owned by Bob Sambol. It's a good business meeting lunch spot. It's not great by any stretch but it's probably the best thing over there now other than OSK or maybe LUCK. The BBQ place is a crime against humanity.

Yeah there’s no view that I’m aware of.

And yeah most everything there is shit. Except for OSK but even it isn’t as good as it used to be.  Trinity Groves sucks.

10 hours ago, Sparky said:

I was kind of afraid of that, the lady has been suggesting it to try.  I think she saw the view where it overlooks downtown and thinks that is cool and means it's good.  I find it odd that I never hear of any place in the Groves that is a must, shame.

Never eaten at Saint Rocco's, but take Lando's advice with a grain of salt.  He can't enjoy himself knowing all those West Dallas Mexicans are only a few hundred yards away. 

It’s true that the food at Saint Rocco’s is terrible.   Very expensive Macaroni Grill quality stuff, but the NYC / Frank Sinatra atmosphere and very good service is enough for some people. 

That all being said, they have a terrace / rooftop bar that has a fantastic view of the bridge and downtown.  It’s on the third floor or so and it’s a very nice place to start or end the evening. 

Edited by DFWTexEx

I thought Saint Rocco was fine and yes, the ambiance may have been part of it. Again, I need a good red checkered tablecloth Italian spot in Dallas. Haven't found one since Angelo's was killed off.  

To be fair Angelos kind of sucked. Their garlic bread was good but that’s about it.

9 hours ago, threesheets said:

Never eaten at Saint Rocco's, but take Lando's advice with a grain of salt.  He can't enjoy himself knowing all those West Dallas Mexicans are only a few hundred yards away. 

What the fuck are you talking about?  I tell someone a place has shitty food (which pretty much everyone else agrees with) and you somehow turn that into me having a problem with "West Dallas Mexicans"?  Good lord you're an insufferable little bitch.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I thought Saint Rocco was fine and yes, the ambiance may have been part of it. Again, I need a good red checkered tablecloth Italian spot in Dallas. Haven't found one since Angelo's was killed off.  

No love for Bocce in Bishop Arts? I really like that place

@Landomatic is pretty damn cool with me but I am an East Dallas Mexican

Edited by Zepol87
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

That all being said, they have a terrace / rooftop bar that has a fantastic view of the bridge and downtown.  It’s on the third floor or so and it’s a very nice place to start or end the evening. 

I was not aware that part of the place existed.  Sounds lovely.  I'm willing to overlook some level of crappy food if there are other redeeming factors like that.  Dolce Riviera would fall into that category.  Their food and service have always been pretty average, but it is an amazing space and the scenery is usually pretty great so its worth return visits.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

98a14b_7c4bb6148d4f4fdb959d1600b1560c10~

Looks like it's a lounge area.  I remember channel 5 did their big NYE show from there last year.  But sounds like it's not worth fighting thru the food for a view.

I agree.   That's what I tried to say when I said it was a nice place to start or end the night. I wouldn't eat there.

• Like 1