TNF: Steelers @ Browns

spystud13

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

not sure what the right punishment is for Garrett, but A&M should definitely get the death penalty

I don't care what your stance is on other positions, but if you were to run for President of these United States, I would vote for you for this reason alone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

Man I am in no way a fan or Hot Takes or screaming A Smith in any way.

But got respect for him this morning for strait trashing Garrett. Also the way he just eviscerated Max Kellerman for trying to justify what Miles did was a thing of beauty.

Both he and Louis Riddick were disgusted with Max. Great thing to see.

Screenwriting-Websites-Cover-Image.jpg

But it's cute you think that shit is spontaneous. 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I get that, but it's a bit disingenuous for someone to claim he has shown no proclivity towards being a hothead. 

Absolutely.  I wasn’t trying to defend Garrett. I was just saying that technically, the talking head was not incorrect.

Dude has been pushing the limit/ crossing the line  and getting away with it. 

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

But got respect for him this morning for strait trashing Garrett. Also the way he just eviscerated Max Kellerman for trying to justify what Miles did was a thing of beauty.

They do good cop/bad cop on every topic. It’s kind of their whole thing

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s assault but criminally charging a football player for hitting another football player in the head with a helmet during a game sets a really bad precedent.  We watch football, boxing, and MMA because they assault each other.  Keeping the discipline out of the hands of law enforcement is really for the best. 

I disagree, in certain situations. First, I watch football for actions confined within the rules of the game. Second, earlier this season at a local middle school football game, a large player picked up a smaller kid and pile drove him into the turf after the play was over. The kid is now paralyzed due to an assault which occurred on the football field, but not during the course or rules of the game. I don’t think keeping these types of incidents out of law enforcement’s hands is always best.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I disagree, in certain situations. First, I watch football for actions confined within the rules of the game. Second, earlier this season at a local middle school football game, a large player picked up a smaller kid and pile drove him into the turf after the play was over. The kid is now paralyzed due to an assault which occurred on the football field, but not during the course or rules of the game. I don’t think keeping these types of incidents out of law enforcement’s hands is always best.

It's like the player from the other night doing a cheap shot from behind on an opposing player who was down on his knees, kid should be kicked off the team for his actions, imo.  Be allowed to stay on scholarship(coaches/school decision) to finish up education.  But never allowed to play another down of CFB. 

Was it just me or was anyone else's first reaction to think the highlight of the brawl was going to make a great negged GIF in the future. Second that I was not surprised since it was an aggy and they have been known to protect their turf with swords. Third, it was hard to feel bad for Rudolph since he is a Steeler. Steelers in their own right have been known to act as ass-hats themselves, especially against Colt McCoy and get away with it. I mean if Mason lets it go he does not put himself in harms way. Instead he charges in like an idiot without a helmet. Last was to think that could have had a really bad outcome and the NFL will need to come down hard on everyone but most severely on Garret. Clearly I have been around you folks way to long.

P.S. I did not watch things live. I saw the highlight after knowing a brawl had happened, maybe that is why I reacted the way I did to the highlight.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What is the precedent for legal action from on field/court/ice actions?

Seems that 

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

EJZAmGPU4AEKCln?format=jpg&name=small

Except earlier this season when he punched Delanie Walker after the whistle.  And earlier this season when he ended Trevor Siemian's season on a late hit. 

Yea but if there’s any possibility for something to be made racial, you can count on Josina to take it there. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, heso said:

The takes in this thread are something else:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3075871

Holy fuck...the cognitive dissonance in that thread is monumental.  The guy who says that Rudolph and Pouncey would be arrested if this was a real case in court...  i just, have, no, words...

The mental gymnastics to twist that into anything other than Garret needs a suspension for the rest of the year...my brain does not comprehend...

First off, Mason Rudolph is a bonafide idiot. I can't remember a QB ever going after a defensive lineman like that. That was monumentally stupid. As the great Russell Ziskey put it, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it." Probably not a great idea to go after a defensive end who outweighs you by at least 50 lbs while he is laying on top of you. Rudolph clearly has rocks for brains, which ironically probably served to protect him. But make no mistake, he is a fucking dipshit.

That said, Myles Garrett makes Mason Rudolph look like Einstein in comparison. How in a million years could that ever happen on a football field? Throw a punch at someone while they are wearing a helmet? Sure, it's stupid and you're more likely to hurt yourself, but it happens all the time. Make a dirty play at the bottom of the pile? Yeah, not something you want to see but ultimately part of the game. Late hit the quarterback? Apparently, that just didn't move the needle enough for Myles. Ripping off a guy's helmet? I can almost see that as a retaliation for what Rudolph was trying to do to him. It's idiotic and out of line, but I can at least understand it somewhat from an eye for an eye perspective. But trying to smash the guy's unprotected skull with what amounts to a weapon? That move was borderline sociopathic. He needs to be gone at a minimum for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer. There isn't any place in the game for that kind of violence. There's a ton of other places in the game for lots of different types of violence, which you would think to be enough for anybody, but that sure as shit isn't one of them.

• Like 2

That browns lineman should get more time than the Pouncey guy.  That doesn't add up.  He purposely targeted the one guy on the field who was the most vulnerable (hint---the guy you just saw just bashed in the skull with a helmet) and pummeled him back to the ground.  That was the second worst hit in the whole thing, what not Pouncey did.  

Anyway, fucking Aggies.  Was there one other A&M grad there in the stadium/sidelines so they can claim this as a tradition now?  

They have no business living among us, you ask me.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t think keeping these types of incidents out of law enforcement’s hands is always best.

Depends on what you hope to accomplish with law enforcement.  If the crime is so egregious that appropriate disciplinary action is beyond the normal mechanisms, then yes, there is a role for law enforcement. 

In the case of an NFL player hitting another player with a helmet, I think the league can handle it without calling the cops. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

You realize they were working off a script, right?  Kellerman was just playing a role in a scene.

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

They're coached by Freddie Kitchens.   A guy who has no business being an NFL head coach. 

Expecting anything less?

Actual exchange from yesterday's post-game presser:

Reporter: "Do you think there is a systemic problem on your team?"

Kitchens: "I'm not smart enough to understand what you said."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Actual exchange from yesterday's post-game presser:

Reporter: "Do you think there is a systemic problem on your team?"

Kitchens: "I'm not smart enough to understand what you said."

I actually liked that, especially when he followed up with "Just ask me what you really want to ask me."

Edited by Beau Vine

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Getting your helmet ripped off and bashed in the head with it is completely outside the scope of the sport and could easily and justifiably be punished as a criminal act.

I don’t disagree but it in this specific case, I don’t think criminal charges are appropriate.  If Garrett was clearly trying to kill the guy it would obviously be a different story.  

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Pouncey came in late swinging his fists and kicking Garrett on the ground.  3 games is justified.  

Whoever was the other lineman, who wrestled Garrett to the ground and held him there, was doing the right thing - Pouncey wasn't.

Pouncey:

angry robert deniro GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Depends on what you hope to accomplish with law enforcement.  If the crime is so egregious that appropriate disciplinary action is beyond the normal mechanisms, then yes, there is a role for law enforcement. 

In the case of an NFL player hitting another player with a helmet, I think the league can handle it without calling the cops. 

If your coworker picks up a a coffee pot and smashes it over your head, that could be handled internally as well. With stupid takes like this, I’d keep my head on a swivel if I were you. If it does happen, hopefully the person is only sent home for a few days and possibly a reduction in pay, in accordance with your line of thinking.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Fun fact: When you see a black person assault a white person and you assume the white person said "something egregious" to cause it, you're the racist.

Another fun fact: there isn't any word in the English language, even the N word, that makes it okay for the recipient to assault you.  I thought we covered this in kindergarten?

Fuck Josina Anderson.

Meh.  My first thought was that he said something like the n-word to set off Garrett. 

Then my next immediate thought was "or, Garrett is just a fucking idiot and went hood on someone when he shouldn't have because dat nigga cray."

I'm staying with my 2nd thought. 

26 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The NFL isn't actually the one who decides whether the cops get involved.

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t disagree but it in this specific case, I don’t think criminal charges are appropriate.  If Garrett was clearly trying to kill the guy it would obviously be a different story.  

So the NFL can handle its own criminal punishment up and until the point of attempted murder? Seems like a very well-reasoned and logical bright line rule you've created here. 

It'll be the six game season-ending suspension and a significant fine for Garrett. There will be no appeal because that's probably getting off light. I doubt any charges are actually pressed even though you can obviously make a pretty strong case for assault.

The one think I'm absolutely sure of is that when MG steps on the field at Pittsburgh next year he is going to be on the receiving end of multiple personal fouls. Steelers OL will be trying to hurt him and not trying to hide it. And no one's going to care.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All you need to know about the browns and their lack of success is embodied from top to bottom with their actions and comments. Jimmy haslam came out and said “we accept the NFLs punishment.” The team isn’t punishing anyone for shit. Fans throw something on the field, show their tits, fight in the stands, or shine a laser pointer and they are banned from all stadiums for life. 

A real leader would walk into the locker room and cut Garrett within 5 minutes of the game ending. With everyone in the room. The next day he would call up his GM and head coach and say “clearly you two have no control of this team, which is why the best roster we’ve had in 30 years is under performing. You’re both fired.” Then to make sure you get your point across you ban Garrett from any property owned by the haslam family, for life. If the ravens pick him up next year then he isn’t going to be playing in the game at Cleveland. Fuck him. 

The organization is a joke because everyone from the top down is impotent by choice or by direction. I know Cowher would never take the offer but you call him up and pay him $10-12M a year to clean up the mess. You bring in someone who is well respected and doesn’t take no shit to be the GM and assist cowher. You look every player in the eye and tell them if they don’t like your actions they can be cut today. Action starts tomorrow. Either come ready to play like a grown man or get the fuck out. 

What a great opportunity to lead and change a complete organization. Just to be wasted by the browns owner. Pathetic. 

• Like 3