TNF: Steelers @ Browns

spystud13

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It'll be the six game season-ending suspension and a significant fine for Garrett. There will be no appeal because that's probably getting off light. I doubt any charges are actually pressed even though you can obviously make a pretty strong case for assault.

The one think I'm absolutely sure of is that when MG steps on the field at Pittsburgh next year he is going to be on the receiving end of multiple personal fouls. Steelers OL will be trying to hurt him and not trying to hide it. And no one's going to care.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IOW, typical Steelers MO.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The one think I'm absolutely sure of is that when MG steps on the field at Pittsburgh next year he is going to be on the receiving end of multiple personal fouls. Steelers OL will be trying to hurt him and not trying to hide it. And no one's going to care.

Something like this?

• Like 1

Then to make sure you get your point across you ban Garrett from any property owned by the haslam family, for life. If the ravens pick him up next year then he isn’t going to be playing in the game at Cleveland. Fuck him.  

If this had even a remote chance at holding up, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. would be banned from all road stadia lol

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

All you need to know about the browns and their lack of success is embodied from top to bottom with their actions and comments. Jimmy haslam came out and said “we accept the NFLs punishment.” The team isn’t punishing anyone for shit. Fans throw something on the field, show their tits, fight in the stands, or shine a laser pointer and they are banned from all stadiums for life. 

A real leader would walk into the locker room and cut Garrett within 5 minutes of the game ending. With everyone in the room. The next day he would call up his GM and head coach and say “clearly you two have no control of this team, which is why the best roster we’ve had in 30 years is under performing. You’re both fired.” Then to make sure you get your point across you ban Garrett from any property owned by the haslam family, for life. If the ravens pick him up next year then he isn’t going to be playing in the game at Cleveland. Fuck him. 

The organization is a joke because everyone from the top down is impotent by choice or by direction. I know Cowher would never take the offer but you call him up and pay him $10-12M a year to clean up the mess. You bring in someone who is well respected and doesn’t take no shit to be the GM and assist cowher. You look every player in the eye and tell them if they don’t like your actions they can be cut today. Action starts tomorrow. Either come ready to play like a grown man or get the fuck out. 

What a great opportunity to lead and change a complete organization. Just to be wasted by the browns owner. Pathetic. 

So why hasn't the president of KU done something like that with KU basketball?

• Like 2

Why shouldn't there be a criminal assault case filed against Miles Garret? If you do the same thing outside of the field, or even in the stands, it would be a no-brainer. I am genuinely curious to know if assaults on the field (unrelated to the game) are exempt from criminal prosecution or are the rules so much more relaxed that the only way a player can be prosecuted for his actions on the field is if he seriously injured someone.

8 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why shouldn't there be a criminal assault case filed against Miles Garret? If you do the same thing outside of the field, or even in the stands, it would be a no-brainer. I am genuinely curious to know if assaults on the field (unrelated to the game) are exempt from criminal prosecution or are the rules so much more relaxed that the only way a player can be prosecuted for his actions on the field is if he seriously injured someone.

Hmmm, maybe. Is there not a picture where it appears that Mason Rudolph is squeezing Garret's nuts with his hand. I wonder if in states with stand you ground laws there would be no charges filed if that was the case. Rudolph did charge Garret after he was pushed away. I want to make it clear this is not a defense of Garret. I don't agree with a complete exoneration of stand your ground laws. Just saying that no-brainer may be an overstatement.

Edited by DanTheHorn

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If this had even a remote chance at holding up, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. would be banned from all road stadia lol

Tom Brady has never assaulted a fellow player with a weapon. 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So why hasn't the president of KU done something like that with KU basketball?

That’s what you’ve got? Nice add to the conversation. KU did kick players of the team, even players that just drew trouble like JR Giddens. But you’ll probably point to one example and say that’s KU’s system. Also... KU has success and generally players are disciplined save one player ever couple of classes. This is deeper than discipline. They can turn their team to a winner by coalescing around this issue. They aren’t. 

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Hmmm, maybe. Is there not a picture where it appears that Mason Rudolph is squeezing Garret's nuts with his hand. I wonder if in states with stand you ground laws there would be no charges filed if that was the case. Rudolph did charge Garret after he was pushed away. I want to make it clear this is not a defense of Garret. I don't agree with a complete exoneration of stand your ground laws. Just saying that no-brainer may be overstatement.

Who provokes a confrontation is not usually the primary determinant on who is at fault in an assault case. The person who strikes in retaliation gets the blame. Whatever Rudolph did (and I agree he was acting like a bitch) doesn't warrant MG's action.

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

There is a blurb on rotoworld wherein Rudolph's agent vaguely threatens to look into this.

It's definitely happened in hockey. Thought I remembered an incident within the last few years but can't find anything on google. I did stumble across that incident from 2004 involving Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore.  Holy shit that was brutal.

20 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

They aren't exempt.  The last prosecution was in hockey.  Someone mistook the stick for a baseball bat and the opponents head for a fastball.  He pled (down) to aggravated assault. There's never been a successful trial that I know of, but there has been at least one hockey assault go to trial.

I think without an injury nothing happens.  I don't think a DA is interested in prosecuting a misdemeanor assault stemming from a sport dispute.

Edited by JBJ

12 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Who provokes a confrontation is not usually the primary determinant on who is at fault in an assault case. The person who strikes in retaliation gets the blame. Whatever Rudolph did (and I agree he was acting like a bitch) doesn't warrant MG's action.

I did not say MG's actions were warranted. I am just saying that an assault charge may not be a no-brainer in a stand your ground law state if Rudolph was attempting to do bodily harm to Garret's nuts. I am not going beyond that point.

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What would it take for the criminal route?  Rudolph pressing charges, or could it move forward without that?  I don't see Rudolph pressing charges.  He probably wouldn't be looked at too favorably by his peers if he went that route. 

I find it interesting that in a Domestic Violence case, the public prosecutor can choose to prosecute if there is clear evidence of violence but the same rule won't apply to other situations. 

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I find it interesting that in a Domestic Violence case, the public prosecutor can choose to prosecute if there is clear evidence of violence but the same rule won't apply to other situations. 

Bringing in other arguments is irrelevant here. I was just saying that your no-brainer statement was possibly an over staement in this case in a Stand Your Ground State.

Edited by DanTheHorn

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

All you need to know about the browns and their lack of success is embodied from top to bottom with their actions and comments. Jimmy haslam came out and said “we accept the NFLs punishment.” The team isn’t punishing anyone for shit. Fans throw something on the field, show their tits, fight in the stands, or shine a laser pointer and they are banned from all stadiums for life. 

A real leader would walk into the locker room and cut Garrett within 5 minutes of the game ending. With everyone in the room. The next day he would call up his GM and head coach and say “clearly you two have no control of this team, which is why the best roster we’ve had in 30 years is under performing. You’re both fired.” Then to make sure you get your point across you ban Garrett from any property owned by the haslam family, for life. If the ravens pick him up next year then he isn’t going to be playing in the game at Cleveland. Fuck him. 

The organization is a joke because everyone from the top down is impotent by choice or by direction. I know Cowher would never take the offer but you call him up and pay him $10-12M a year to clean up the mess. You bring in someone who is well respected and doesn’t take no shit to be the GM and assist cowher. You look every player in the eye and tell them if they don’t like your actions they can be cut today. Action starts tomorrow. Either come ready to play like a grown man or get the fuck out. 

What a great opportunity to lead and change a complete organization. Just to be wasted by the browns owner. Pathetic. 

So what you're saying is a real university would have not only fired it's entire basketball coaching staff but would have also probably shut down it's basketball program if it operated like a completely corrupt organization?

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Bringing in other arguments is irrelevant here. I was just saying that your no-brainer statement was possibly an over staement in this case in a Stand Your Ground State.

I am not defending my no-brainer statement and I hear your position as well. We are way past that argument now. I am just pointing out some quirks in our legal interpretation of violence in various situations. 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Man I am in no way a fan or Hot Takes or screaming A Smith in any way.

But got respect for him this morning for strait trashing Garrett. Also the way he just eviscerated Max Kellerman for trying to justify what Miles did was a thing of beauty.

Both he and Louis Riddick were disgusted with Max. Great thing to see.

Why do you watch that gutter-trash TV?

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Didn't Rudolph just come off Concussion protocol recently? 

Good question. And this wasn't just assault with a deadly weapon. It was assault with a blunt object to the head. The fact that the league has made such a show of supposedly getting serious about head injuries makes it hard for them to go easy on this asshole imho. It's the pure hypocrisy if they give Garrett anything less than 16 regular season games for this shit

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

spacer.png

Miz Long asked about the Amazon Prime pre-game talking heads, which appeared to consist of a drugstore mountain man, an Eddie Bauer catalog addict, and a Dinner Theatre Grease cast member, saying various weird things about some of the players and other games. I watched a couple of minutes of their blather, and it became obvious that they were just another Act in the transition of NFL football from something resembling actual games to completely (although somewhat loosely) scripted versions being produced by those responsible for World Wide Wrestling. The Garrett and Rudolph scene at the end of the game surely confirms that.

EDIT: Whoooooooooooooooooo!!

Pouncey should have been given the benefit of the doubt and gotten no more than a game.  He just watched Garrett hit Rudolph over the head with his own helmet.  Then Garrett was raring back to backhand Rudolf across the face with the helmet before Pouncey and the other Steeler stopped it.  That blow would have fucked Rudolph up something fierce.  That is a heat of the moment type deal on Pouncey's part.  But Goodell is pretty good at fucking up punishments, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I think football has been pussified, cool down.

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Pouncey should have been given the benefit of the doubt and gotten no more than a game.  He just watched Garrett hit Rudolph over the head with his own helmet.  Then Garrett was raring back to backhand Rudolf across the face with the helmet before Pouncey and the other Steeler stopped it.  That blow would have fucked Rudolph up something fierce.  That is a heat of the moment type deal on Pouncey's part.  But Goodell is pretty good at fucking up punishments, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I think they gave him more not for that, but because of the kicking he was doing at the end.  I think if it weren't for the kicking, he would've gotten at most just 1 game, if that.

In retrospect, I think I'm perfectly OK with Pouncey getting suspended. It's one thing to protect your QB but when he talks about "blacking out" and not remembering what he did in the skirmish, that ain't good buddy. Throwing punches and then kicking the dude is something that can't go unpunished either. Three games? Eh, maybe a little long.

The other thing is watching Rudolph in the PC. The dude is acting like he's a completely innocent bystander in this whole thing. Myles Garrett not playing again this season is absolutely the bare minimum what should happen to that dipshit but Rudolph should not portray himself as somebody who didn't have a hand in this. He should't get suspended but he definitely played a role in this turning downright nasty.

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Pouncey should have gotten two games, just to keep him out of the rematch in 2 weeks for his and everyone else's sake. 

I think he would have gotten two if he hadn't stomped on Garrett.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

In retrospect, I think I'm perfectly OK with Pouncey getting suspended. It's one thing to protect your QB but when he talks about "blacking out" and not remembering what he did in the skirmish, that ain't good buddy. Throwing punches and then kicking the dude is something that can't go unpunished either. Three games? Eh, maybe a little long.

The other thing is watching Rudolph in the PC. The dude is acting like he's a completely innocent bystander in this whole thing. Myles Garrett not playing again this season is absolutely the bare minimum what should happen to that dipshit but Rudolph should not portray himself as somebody who didn't have a hand in this. He should't get suspended but he definitely played a role in this turning downright nasty.

I mostly agree, except I think Rudolph should have gotten a game. He absolutely instigated/escalated the situation.

Pouncey’s suspension seems just about right to me. DeCastro handled it right, neutralizing Garrett but not attacking him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231848/article/antonio-smith-swings-helmet-at-richie-incognito

MG should be suspended for a full 16.  Pouncey I think should have gotten 1-2.  Personally that's what I want to see from an Olineman on my team and I am sure the locker room or team will take care of his missing game checks and fine.  But I understand the NFL can't let a guy throw multiple punches and kicks with no repercussions.

Edited by Hozz