Dallas | Steak

C-Man

I wasn’t aware of this but a good friend of mine ate at the Bob’s on Lemmon in the past few weeks and said Bob was in there. He said Bob bought back that location within the last year and he took my friend on a tour of the kitchen and gave him a golf shirt and my friend said the food and service was excellent. Maybe I missed an article about it but I didn’t hear about Bob being back.

3 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I wasn’t aware of this but a good friend of mine ate at the Bob’s on Lemmon in the past few weeks and said Bob was in there. He said Bob bought back that location within the last year and he took my friend on a tour of the kitchen and gave him a golf shirt and my friend said the food and service was excellent. Maybe I missed an article about it but I didn’t hear about Bob being back.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2019/02/bob-sambol-buys-back-bobs-original-steak-and-chop-house/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Yeah, my long-time barber cut Bob's hair too. He told me that awhile back. Didn't have details, though. He's only in on the original location? Guess that makes sense. I think Bob is somehow involved in that place over in Trinity Groves that I can never remember the name of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who used to work for CRO and he'd bring III Forks steaks for our indian guides campouts.  They were always wet aged but really good quality.  I don't know that I'd put it in the top tier with the others, but back then very few places in Dallas were doing dry aged steaks so things might have changed.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I have a friend who used to work for CRO and he'd bring III Forks steaks for our indian guides campouts.  They were always wet aged but really good quality.  I don't know that I'd put it in the top tier with the others, but back then very few places in Dallas were doing dry aged steaks so things might have changed.

Yeah I remember a time when III Forks was considered the shit.  Back in my early 20’s when there was no way in hell I could afford it, we had a vendor take a group of us from my old job and it was a really special night at that time.  Good old days!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Guess this goes here.  I haz excite because I can walk to it...

Georgie by Curtis Stone Opens This Month

https://cravedfw.com/2019/11/14/georgie-by-curtis-stone-opens-this-month/?fbclid=IwAR12bcmgUMGwS6jR4h1XbvzZdSExjTx3vPheOo7kljtdqFJscG-scfAYowc

Some pics from Eater article.  Place looks pretty badass...

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Drake's is set to open 12/5. Drove by on my way to drop the kids off at school this morning and saw the sign over the door. It's not where I thought it was going to be, which was in between Neighborhood Services and the TOT. It's actually two buildings west of there next to Spa in the City, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Drake’s on Tues night with some friends. I thought it was terrific. Cool finish out and the food was terrific. Steaks are in the high to low $30’s, sides are in $10-$12 range. Pizza and cocktails (not sure If that means all or only their specialty offerings) are half price during Happy Hour (4-5 every day). It is a nice addition to the neighborhood rotation.

90c6926739e330629f62c22936af6f1e.jpg

2be1089362b42d2121eb5adcb4198ea4.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Went to Drake’s on Tues night with some friends. I thought it was terrific. Cool finish out and the food was terrific. Steaks are in the high to low $30’s, sides are in $10-$12 range. Pizza and cocktails (not sure If that means all or only their specialty offerings) are half price during Happy Hour (4-5 every day). It is a nice addition to the neighborhood rotation.

90c6926739e330629f62c22936af6f1e.jpg

2be1089362b42d2121eb5adcb4198ea4.jpg

Been waiting for this review.  I saw the Dallas sub-section of the food and travel section had been posted in and I was all like “Ooh, I hope that’s C-Man’s Drake review.”  Then I clicked on it and I wasn’t disappointed.  Great to hear!  Prices seem great.  Can’t wait to check it out.  Some day soon, hopefully.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:53 PM, Landomatic said:

Some pics from Eater article.  Place looks pretty badass...

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

Tried Georgie’s out last night.  I didn’t really know what to expect other than it was supposed to be all about the meat (meat centric or meat forward or whatever), so assumed it would pretty much be a steakhouse with a butcher shop.  Well, the best way I can think to describe it would be a French Steakhouse I guess.  It’s really nothing more, nothing less.

In full disclosure, I really don’t like French food at all.  Never cared for Le Bilboquet and don’t understand the hype (they’re next door, same owner, and always packed).  Didn’t care for any of my food at Bouillon, although it’s a great finish out and I get it for a big fancy night.  I’ve always thought Up On Knox was horribly overrated and over priced (not super French but definitely has a French lean - also same owner as Bilboquet and Georgie’s).  I probably eat at Toulouse 1-2 times a week (because it’s close enough to walk from my house), but usually gravitate about as far from the more French items on the menu as possible, which they offer quite a bit of.

Also in full disclosure, I’ve always thought the “steak” at French restaurants are a freakin joke.  Thin and usually feels more like fajita meat than steak.  With all that said, my thoughts on this place probably need to be taken with a grain given my aversions and given that I’m in the minority with my predisposed position on all of it.

Anyway, back on topic...for starters, the finish out was great.  Very cool space along the lines of a Bouillon.  Looks like they’ll be able to open up the bar to the sidewalk like Up On Knox to create a cool indoor/outdoor thing.  Couple negatives...the bar stools require a really skinny ass to fit into them.  It’s weird.  They look cool, but they’re overstuffed and you gotta be pretty tiny to fit in them.  Other weird thing was the tablecloths.  They’re thin wrinkled linen on super high gloss tables.  So they look like shit and slip all over the place.  It’s like they decided it needed to be a white tablecloth place to feel fancy, but they went with something really casual so it didn’t feel stuffy.  Just ended up feeling half pregnant and it wasn’t very user-friendly at all due to the slipperyness.  Also, the two of us were at a booth for 4 and I can’t imagine trying to fit 4 people there.  It was perfect for 2 but the only tables that seemed fit for 4 would have been the interior tables with chairs or the bigger booth which is probably for 6, but I can’t imagine fitting 6 there.  Not sure what kind of midget designed the seating, but it’s clearly an issue.

Drinks were great.  Full bar and competent bartenders from the cocktails we ordered.  Wine list looked pretty damn good, although I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know shit about French wine.  We had wine by the glass and both selections (a rose and a cab) were great.

Service was pretty much flawless.  Appears they may have brought some of their better staff over from the other restaurants and maybe poached a few good people from some other top places.  We recognized a few of the people working there, which probably just means we eat out way too much, but that was nice.  Everyone was great.  Manager was outstanding and owner came by a couple times to chat as he usually does.  Lots of passion there from top to bottom.  Only knock on the service was they did the whole ”bring out the wooden box and let you select your own steak knife” thing.  It’s fine, but they made kind of a big deal about it, like it was some revolutionary concept.  I’ve seen that done years ago and honestly, it felt a little schticky.

Vibe/Atmosphere probably leaned a little older but given that it’s the holidays, they’re brand new, and we were there unusually early, that may not always be the case.  Felt like an overflow crowd of Le Bilboquet though, which always feels a little older whenever we’ve been in there.  Music was a good mix and at a good level.  Lighting was about right.  Overall, it leaned pretty fancy and dressy but not too bad.  I’d feel underdressed in shorts and/or a T-shirt, but jeans and a golf shirt would be fine...and all the way up to jackets and dresses.

Food is hard for me to judge.  I guess everything was good.  Bread was outstanding.  Got a pasta entree as an appetizer which was the least French thing we could find.  It was excellent but small...glad I didn’t order it as a main course or I would have been horribly disappointed.  Wife had a pork chop and I got a New York Strip thinking that would probably be my best option for a steak (more on that later).  The pork chop was excellent, but as I feared, the steak was super thin and came pre-sliced.  Resembled nothing close to a strip as I know it.  At least they put the sauce on the side.  Both cuts of meat were cooked perfectly though.  Also had Brussels sprouts and potatoes as sides.  Again, these both seeming like the least French offerings they had.  Brussels were fine, nothing special.  Potatoes were just like any run-of-the-mill breakfast potatoes.  Nothing special either but not very French feeling so I guess I accomplished what I wanted.  I imagine if I’d been more into French food, there would have been some offerings that were pretty great.

Prices...wow!  The prices were the worst part by far and I really can’t emphasize this enough.  We were shocked.  We eat out a lot and often times at a pretty high level (too much honestly) and I rarely mind paying a lot for a great meal and fun night out.  I wish now I would have taken a picture of the menu because I can’t find one online and I don’t remember exactly what everything cost.  I think once I saw the prices, I kind of buried my head and tried to forget.  It was that bad.  Damn near everything felt like it started at about $30 plus.  And that’s for sides and appetizers.  Their steaks were some of the highest I’ve ever seen.  Don’t quote me exactly on this, but I want to say the pork chop was almost $50 and it wasn’t very big (not like Perry’s or the giant pork chops I’ve seen at other steakhouses, or even close).  As mentioned earlier, I chose the strip because I hoped it was the closest to a real steakhouse steak (it wasn’t).  It was around $60 and I don’t remember what the oz were, but it was tiny and I had no problem finishing it and eating some of my wife’s pork chop (usually have about half a strip to take home from a normal steakhouse).  Their bone-in ribeye was $150.  Not Kobe or Wygu, just their normal bone-in ribeye.  Their petite filet (I think 6oz) was about $50.  The plain basic potato side was only $10, but everything else was closer to $30.  Our total bill was $400 with standard 20% tip for 2 people.  We each had 2-3 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine and part of that was during happy hour (although, not sure if any of it was actually on the happy hour menu).  No bottles.  Not even desert.  And we had almost no leftovers (couple bites of Brussels, couple bites of potatoes, and wife had a couple bites of her pork chop left).  Honestly, probably wouldn’t have even bothered with the leftovers normally because it was such a small amount of food, but at those prices, I was trying to get my money’s worth.  Comparative meal at a normal steakhouse, we’d have had at least half of everything we ordered leftover and it would have been closer to $200...maaaybe $300.  $400 for 2 people is one of the most expensive meals we’ve ever had.  In fact, the only thing close would be in New York City.  So, this was by far the most expensive in Dallas.

Overall, I doubt we’ll go back unless it’s just for a couple drinks.  Between it being really French and the prices, it’s just not the place for me.  It was packed (but, again it’s brand new and it’s the holidays) and I imagine it will do just fine as I see it as an overflow for Bilboquet, which appears to do well.  Rich, old Highland Park people who could care less about the money will probably dig it as an alternative to Bilboquet.  Disappointed because we can walk over there, but certainly not a place we’d frequent.  Of course, we rarely go to Up On Knox (way too expensive for what you get and don’t love the food) or Le Bilboquet (don’t like the food) either so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

As a side note, the butcher shop part wasn’t open yet.  Supposedly that’s going to have lunch and be open during the day, so maybe I’ll walk over and check that out when it’s up and running.  But I can’t imagine what the butcher shop pricing is going to be.

tl;dr - prepare your wallet’s anus and you better like french food

• Like 2

I've had steaks at Fearings and at Nick & Sams in the last month.   Both fine but not remotely memorable or worth the $$.   I still think Al Biernat's is the only place in Dallas that I feel like I can consistently say probably serves a better steak than I can make at home.

Edited by Skipper

On 12/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Landomatic said:

Tried Georgie’s out last night.  I didn’t really know what to expect other than it was supposed to be all about the meat (meat centric or meat forward or whatever), so assumed it would pretty much be a steakhouse with a butcher shop.  Well, the best way I can think to describe it would be a French Steakhouse I guess.  It’s really nothing more, nothing less.

In full disclosure, I really don’t like French food at all.  Never cared for Le Bilboquet and don’t understand the hype (they’re next door, same owner, and always packed).  Didn’t care for any of my food at Bouillon, although it’s a great finish out and I get it for a big fancy night.  I’ve always thought Up On Knox was horribly overrated and over priced (not super French but definitely has a French lean - also same owner as Bilboquet and Georgie’s).  I probably eat at Toulouse 1-2 times a week (because it’s close enough to walk from my house), but usually gravitate about as far from the more French items on the menu as possible, which they offer quite a bit of.

Also in full disclosure, I’ve always thought the “steak” at French restaurants are a freakin joke.  Thin and usually feels more like fajita meat than steak.  With all that said, my thoughts on this place probably need to be taken with a grain given my aversions and given that I’m in the minority with my predisposed position on all of it.

Anyway, back on topic...for starters, the finish out was great.  Very cool space along the lines of a Bouillon.  Looks like they’ll be able to open up the bar to the sidewalk like Up On Knox to create a cool indoor/outdoor thing.  Couple negatives...the bar stools require a really skinny ass to fit into them.  It’s weird.  They look cool, but they’re overstuffed and you gotta be pretty tiny to fit in them.  Other weird thing was the tablecloths.  They’re thin wrinkled linen on super high gloss tables.  So they look like shit and slip all over the place.  It’s like they decided it needed to be a white tablecloth place to feel fancy, but they went with something really casual so it didn’t feel stuffy.  Just ended up feeling half pregnant and it wasn’t very user-friendly at all due to the slipperyness.  Also, the two of us were at a booth for 4 and I can’t imagine trying to fit 4 people there.  It was perfect for 2 but the only tables that seemed fit for 4 would have been the interior tables with chairs or the bigger booth which is probably for 6, but I can’t imagine fitting 6 there.  Not sure what kind of midget designed the seating, but it’s clearly an issue.

Drinks were great.  Full bar and competent bartenders from the cocktails we ordered.  Wine list looked pretty damn good, although I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know shit about French wine.  We had wine by the glass and both selections (a rose and a cab) were great.

Service was pretty much flawless.  Appears they may have brought some of their better staff over from the other restaurants and maybe poached a few good people from some other top places.  We recognized a few of the people working there, which probably just means we eat out way too much, but that was nice.  Everyone was great.  Manager was outstanding and owner came by a couple times to chat as he usually does.  Lots of passion there from top to bottom.  Only knock on the service was they did the whole ”bring out the wooden box and let you select your own steak knife” thing.  It’s fine, but they made kind of a big deal about it, like it was some revolutionary concept.  I’ve seen that done years ago and honestly, it felt a little schticky.

Vibe/Atmosphere probably leaned a little older but given that it’s the holidays, they’re brand new, and we were there unusually early, that may not always be the case.  Felt like an overflow crowd of Le Bilboquet though, which always feels a little older whenever we’ve been in there.  Music was a good mix and at a good level.  Lighting was about right.  Overall, it leaned pretty fancy and dressy but not too bad.  I’d feel underdressed in shorts and/or a T-shirt, but jeans and a golf shirt would be fine...and all the way up to jackets and dresses.

Food is hard for me to judge.  I guess everything was good.  Bread was outstanding.  Got a pasta entree as an appetizer which was the least French thing we could find.  It was excellent but small...glad I didn’t order it as a main course or I would have been horribly disappointed.  Wife had a pork chop and I got a New York Strip thinking that would probably be my best option for a steak (more on that later).  The pork chop was excellent, but as I feared, the steak was super thin and came pre-sliced.  Resembled nothing close to a strip as I know it.  At least they put the sauce on the side.  Both cuts of meat were cooked perfectly though.  Also had Brussels sprouts and potatoes as sides.  Again, these both seeming like the least French offerings they had.  Brussels were fine, nothing special.  Potatoes were just like any run-of-the-mill breakfast potatoes.  Nothing special either but not very French feeling so I guess I accomplished what I wanted.  I imagine if I’d been more into French food, there would have been some offerings that were pretty great.

Prices...wow!  The prices were the worst part by far and I really can’t emphasize this enough.  We were shocked.  We eat out a lot and often times at a pretty high level (too much honestly) and I rarely mind paying a lot for a great meal and fun night out.  I wish now I would have taken a picture of the menu because I can’t find one online and I don’t remember exactly what everything cost.  I think once I saw the prices, I kind of buried my head and tried to forget.  It was that bad.  Damn near everything felt like it started at about $30 plus.  And that’s for sides and appetizers.  Their steaks were some of the highest I’ve ever seen.  Don’t quote me exactly on this, but I want to say the pork chop was almost $50 and it wasn’t very big (not like Perry’s or the giant pork chops I’ve seen at other steakhouses, or even close).  As mentioned earlier, I chose the strip because I hoped it was the closest to a real steakhouse steak (it wasn’t).  It was around $60 and I don’t remember what the oz were, but it was tiny and I had no problem finishing it and eating some of my wife’s pork chop (usually have about half a strip to take home from a normal steakhouse).  Their bone-in ribeye was $150.  Not Kobe or Wygu, just their normal bone-in ribeye.  Their petite filet (I think 6oz) was about $50.  The plain basic potato side was only $10, but everything else was closer to $30.  Our total bill was $400 with standard 20% tip for 2 people.  We each had 2-3 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine and part of that was during happy hour (although, not sure if any of it was actually on the happy hour menu).  No bottles.  Not even desert.  And we had almost no leftovers (couple bites of Brussels, couple bites of potatoes, and wife had a couple bites of her pork chop left).  Honestly, probably wouldn’t have even bothered with the leftovers normally because it was such a small amount of food, but at those prices, I was trying to get my money’s worth.  Comparative meal at a normal steakhouse, we’d have had at least half of everything we ordered leftover and it would have been closer to $200...maaaybe $300.  $400 for 2 people is one of the most expensive meals we’ve ever had.  In fact, the only thing close would be in New York City.  So, this was by far the most expensive in Dallas.

Overall, I doubt we’ll go back unless it’s just for a couple drinks.  Between it being really French and the prices, it’s just not the place for me.  It was packed (but, again it’s brand new and it’s the holidays) and I imagine it will do just fine as I see it as an overflow for Bilboquet, which appears to do well.  Rich, old Highland Park people who could care less about the money will probably dig it as an alternative to Bilboquet.  Disappointed because we can walk over there, but certainly not a place we’d frequent.  Of course, we rarely go to Up On Knox (way too expensive for what you get and don’t love the food) or Le Bilboquet (don’t like the food) either so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

As a side note, the butcher shop part wasn’t open yet.  Supposedly that’s going to have lunch and be open during the day, so maybe I’ll walk over and check that out when it’s up and running.  But I can’t imagine what the butcher shop pricing is going to be.

tl;dr - prepare your wallet’s anus and you better like french food

One of my wife's HS friends on FB -- he's in the restaurant business (casual concepts) and also works for Rogers Healy -- blasted Georgie on FB the other night. Said the service was some of the worst he's ever encountered and he wouldn't be returning.

When Georgie by Curtis Stone opened in Knox-Henderson a couple of weeks ago, it revealed a menu of French classics, a meaty selection of tenderloins, strip steaks and chops and one serious jaw-dropper: A 42-ounce bone-in rib eye priced at a colossal $390.

Even in a town that loves great beef and is willing to pay top dollar for it, I couldn’t recall seeing a steak that even approached that sticker price. And a round of calls to Dallas’ meat palaces — Town Hearth, Knife, Pappas Brothers, Al Biernat’s, Bob’s Steak and Chop House, and Nick and Sam’s — confirmed it.

Georgie’s $390 slab of Australian Blackmore Wagyu is the most expensive steak in town, by a long shot.

The next highest is $255 for “the Dirk,” a 41-ounce, 41-day dry-aged chateaubriand at Nick and Sam’s (named for Dirk Nowitzki, as if you need to be told).

It’s followed closely by the 240-day dry-aged rib eye at John Tesar’s Knife, a 33-ounce bone-in cut that’ll set you back a mere $250.

Town Hearth, Nick Badovinus’ modern Texas steakhouse, tops out with the bistecca, a minimum 55-day dry-aged porterhouse that weighs in at about 44 ounces for $149.

Al Biernat’s prime tomahawk rib eye is a 28-ounce, $125 indulgence.

Pappas Brothers limbos in at under $100, with a top price of $99.95 for a prime bone-in, 32-ounce New York strip steak, dry aged minimum 28 days in house.

And Bob’s best is slightly less, a wagyu tomahawk rib eye that’s 28 ounces and $95.

There are, of course, potentially higher-priced steak specials and A5 Japanese wagyu, the buttery import that is sold by the ounce and generally purchased in diminutive portions.

But for pure menu sticker shock, Georgie takes the steak.

The 40-ounce, bone-in rib eye at Georgie by Curtis Stone, which opens today in Knox-Henderson. The menu for the restaurant, the celebrity chef's first outside of Los Angeles emphasizes beef; this $135 cut from Creekstone Farms is dry aged for 30 days

Check out the menu at Georgie, Curtis Stone’s new restaurant in Knox Henderson, before it opens tonight
Here's an exclusive preview of Georgie, Curtis Stone's mysterious new restaurant in Knox Henderson

BY MICHALENE BUSICO
It’s a statement-making move for Stone: The Australia-born, Los Angeles-based celebrity chef opened his first restaurant outside of L.A. in Dallas, focused it on meat and, just to let everyone know he means business, added a $390 cherry on top.

At his Los Angeles restaurant Gwen ― which Georgie is modeled on ― there are five Blackmore wagyu cuts on the menu, ranging from a $150, 12-ounce flat iron steak to the 42-ounce bone-in rib eye, which is also $390 in L.A.

When Georgie’s butcher shop opens next year, it too will sell the massive bone-in rib eye ― for $100 a pound. There is also a 10-ounce Blackmore strip steak on Georgie’s menu for $145.

Australian Blackmore Wagyu beef roasts in the butcher shop at Gwen, Curtis Stone's restaurant in Los Angeles.
Australian Blackmore Wagyu beef roasts in the butcher shop at Gwen, Curtis Stone's restaurant in Los Angeles. (ClayLarsen / Special Contributor)
So, what does it get you? Blackmore is one of the world’s most renowned beef producers, from a ranch in Victoria with a herd of more than 3,000 full-blood wagyu cattle that are slaughtered to order. It’s served by chefs including Heston Blumenthal in London and Neil Perry in Sydney, and Stone is the sole importer for the U.S.

Packages of the beef are delivered with the noseprint of the animal, Georgie chef Toby Archibald says. “The noseprint is like the fingerprint of a human,” he says. “So if you want, you can track the animal’s lineage and history.”

13 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

When Georgie by Curtis Stone opened in Knox-Henderson a couple of weeks ago, it revealed a menu of French classics, a meaty selection of tenderloins, strip steaks and chops and one serious jaw-dropper: A 42-ounce bone-in rib eye priced at a colossal $390.

Even in a town that loves great beef and is willing to pay top dollar for it, I couldn’t recall seeing a steak that even approached that sticker price. And a round of calls to Dallas’ meat palaces — Town Hearth, Knife, Pappas Brothers, Al Biernat’s, Bob’s Steak and Chop House, and Nick and Sam’s — confirmed it.

Georgie’s $390 slab of Australian Blackmore Wagyu is the most expensive steak in town, by a long shot.

The next highest is $255 for “the Dirk,” a 41-ounce, 41-day dry-aged chateaubriand at Nick and Sam’s (named for Dirk Nowitzki, as if you need to be told).

It’s followed closely by the 240-day dry-aged rib eye at John Tesar’s Knife, a 33-ounce bone-in cut that’ll set you back a mere $250.

Town Hearth, Nick Badovinus’ modern Texas steakhouse, tops out with the bistecca, a minimum 55-day dry-aged porterhouse that weighs in at about 44 ounces for $149.

Al Biernat’s prime tomahawk rib eye is a 28-ounce, $125 indulgence.

Pappas Brothers limbos in at under $100, with a top price of $99.95 for a prime bone-in, 32-ounce New York strip steak, dry aged minimum 28 days in house.

And Bob’s best is slightly less, a wagyu tomahawk rib eye that’s 28 ounces and $95.

There are, of course, potentially higher-priced steak specials and A5 Japanese wagyu, the buttery import that is sold by the ounce and generally purchased in diminutive portions.

But for pure menu sticker shock, Georgie takes the steak.

The 40-ounce, bone-in rib eye at Georgie by Curtis Stone, which opens today in Knox-Henderson. The menu for the restaurant, the celebrity chef's first outside of Los Angeles emphasizes beef; this $135 cut from Creekstone Farms is dry aged for 30 days

Check out the menu at Georgie, Curtis Stone’s new restaurant in Knox Henderson, before it opens tonight
Here's an exclusive preview of Georgie, Curtis Stone's mysterious new restaurant in Knox Henderson

BY MICHALENE BUSICO
It’s a statement-making move for Stone: The Australia-born, Los Angeles-based celebrity chef opened his first restaurant outside of L.A. in Dallas, focused it on meat and, just to let everyone know he means business, added a $390 cherry on top.

At his Los Angeles restaurant Gwen ― which Georgie is modeled on ― there are five Blackmore wagyu cuts on the menu, ranging from a $150, 12-ounce flat iron steak to the 42-ounce bone-in rib eye, which is also $390 in L.A.

When Georgie’s butcher shop opens next year, it too will sell the massive bone-in rib eye ― for $100 a pound. There is also a 10-ounce Blackmore strip steak on Georgie’s menu for $145.

Australian Blackmore Wagyu beef roasts in the butcher shop at Gwen, Curtis Stone's restaurant in Los Angeles.
Australian Blackmore Wagyu beef roasts in the butcher shop at Gwen, Curtis Stone's restaurant in Los Angeles. (ClayLarsen / Special Contributor)
So, what does it get you? Blackmore is one of the world’s most renowned beef producers, from a ranch in Victoria with a herd of more than 3,000 full-blood wagyu cattle that are slaughtered to order. It’s served by chefs including Heston Blumenthal in London and Neil Perry in Sydney, and Stone is the sole importer for the U.S.

Packages of the beef are delivered with the noseprint of the animal, Georgie chef Toby Archibald says. “The noseprint is like the fingerprint of a human,” he says. “So if you want, you can track the animal’s lineage and history.”

Quick glance at the menu and it looks like I was a little high on some of my recollections, but not too far off.  Regardless, at $400 total for 2 people, it's the most expensive place in town that I know of.  Compared to Al Biernat's, Georgie is considerably higher priced when you start looking at side-by-side comparisons.  And based on what we ordered, nowhere near as good.

Food is the ultimate status symbol because it is so fleeting. One cannot objectively say that a $390 steak tastes three times as good as a $130 steak; flavor doesn’t scale that way. That $390 can buy a once-in-a-lifetime meal at a restaurant with an extraordinary tasting menu and rare drinks, like Le Bernardin in New York — or it can reassure wealthy Dallasites that they have the power to spend that much money on a meal they may not remember next week.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/the-servant-restaurants-that-are-on-the-rise-in-dallas-11807074

Don't think I'll try Georgie's.  Definitely will hit up Drake's.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Food is the ultimate status symbol because it is so fleeting. One cannot objectively say that a $390 steak tastes three times as good as a $130 steak; flavor doesn’t scale that way. That $390 can buy a once-in-a-lifetime meal at a restaurant with an extraordinary tasting menu and rare drinks, like Le Bernardin in New York — or it can reassure wealthy Dallasites that they have the power to spend that much money on a meal they may not remember next week.
https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/the-servant-restaurants-that-are-on-the-rise-in-dallas-11807074

Yeah, fuck Georgie’s. That ain’t my scene. Drake’s most definitely is. Lmk and I’ll meet you there.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, fuck Georgie’s. That ain’t my scene. Drake’s most definitely is. Lmk and I’ll meet you there.

Let's do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

tenor.gif

Hahaha yeah that was mrs landomatic's and my reaction too when we saw that.

Then I remembered we saw his restaurant in NY on an episode of Billions.  And every restaurant that they've been to on that show that I'm familiar with (Babbo, Daniel, Rao's, Del Posto, Keens, etc) are very legit.  So maybe?

• 4 months later...

Funny timing. So I’m at my friend’s place this morning to drop something off and she’s like oh we are about to head out for Easter meal soon to the new steak place and yep it’s the one we’ve been avoiding or whatever.

So she takes her son and I text her tonight to see how it was. Sure enough, that steak dude not only was there but he did the whole routine for their steak at the table and my friend said it’s over priced but the steak was very good.

For context, filet for two is $170. A burger is $40. So good luck with all that.

• Hook 'Em 1