Dallas | Steak

C-Man

Returned to Town Hearth Friday evening. Ended up with late reservation due to the have we decided to ditch del frisco last minute. But gave us a chance to pregame at the bar at Nobu before for cocktails and sushi.

Got to Town Hearth an hour before our reservations and had a glass of wine, chill and people watch. I’ve decided this is how Nick and Sam’s was 10 years ago. Fun, energetic and loud. Finished my wine and the bar tender who has been there since they opened, poured me another on the house. I tried to give him a $20 tip as a thanks and he refused, thanked us for dining with them.

Dinner started with the meatballs. Can’t pass them up. Like the neighborhood services better because of the voodoo sauce but still awesome. Wife (no pics) ordered red snapper with the brown butter sauce. One of the biggest filets I have seen at a restaurant. Seriously good.

I ordered the nightly special wagyu ribeye cap medium rare. Honestly was one of the best steaks I’ve had at a restaurant in years. Brussel sprouts we great.

After a two hour lunch/ drinks earlier, more drinks by the pool, drinks and sushi at Nobu, plus wine and meal at TH, we were done.

Overall, fun atmosphere, great service and excellent food.

Been twice and both were great experiences. Would recommend if you want great steakhouse food without the stuffy traditional setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Gave Town Hearth another shot this weekend.  The first time I went, it was the first week they opened and it was pretty bad top to bottom.  I figured they were just still working out the kinks so I didn't put much faith in that.  Plus, Nick's other restaurants (Neighborhood Services, Perfect Union, Montlake Cut) are some of my favorite in town so I give them the benefit of the doubt.  Not to mention, it seems to be the hottest place in town right now so that many people can't be wrong.

Guess I'm just cursed with that place or it's not for me or something as we found our second attempt to TH to be very very average.

Checkin process with hostess was a bit of a cluster.  We had an 8:30 reservation and when we were being shown to our table, it was in a bar booth right next to the bar.  Normally wouldn't have a problem sitting in the bar, in fact we often request it, but at TH it is really tight through there (almost can't walk through) and the bar patrons' asses would almost literally be in your face while you're eating when the bar gets 2 deep from time-to-time.  Told them we'd prefer to sit in the main dining room and were told it would be about 45 minutes for that.  They eventually got us seated fairly quickly and it was all probably just a miscommunication, but seemed like it could have been pretty easily avoided.  Just a pretty disappointing tone to set the evening.

The decor seems schticky to me with all the trophies and crap everywhere.  That works for me at a casual mid-price place like Neighborhood Services, but for a place as expensive as TH, I found it almost insulting.

Calling the other patrons "casual" would be an understatement.  There was some okay people watching, but for the most part, it seemed like mostly a bunch of average looking people who were out for their one big meal of the year to celebrate some special occasion.  Kind of felt like amateur hour honestly.

Staff all dressed in fairly over the top hipster attire (lots of leather aprons, denim and plaid) doesn't do much for me.  The 3 bartenders had more hair in their beards and man buns than most restaurants' waitresses have combined.  Probably perfect for the design district, but not my cup of tea...yeah, yeah, get off my lawn.

And the food was just food.  Went with another couple and the men got steaks (their prices are the most expensive in town) and we both had to send them back as they came out horribly undercooked.  Ordered MR+ and they came out ice cold in the center.  Upon return, they were then really over cooked to at least a well done level.

Best thing on the table was the crab tater tots which isn't saying much as it was just generic tater tots covered in crab meat.  Sounds really unique and edgy, but I think just about anywhere could make it as there was really nothing to it.  They do have great brussels, but I guess I'm just used to that.  Their Mac N Cheese we found to be sorely lacking...almost a wallpaper paste consistency and very little flavor.

Waitress was really good, but it should be at that level so it wasn't something that really sets them apart.  I would hope they'd have good service.

Overall, I guess it's just not for me as obviously there are a ton of other people who like it.  We really wanted to love it and I think we gave it all a really fair shake.  We won't likely go back, but I'm sure they'll be just fine without me.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

Lando, sorry to see that you had a bad experience at TH.  We’ve been lucky in having two back-to-back great experiences at places new to us while out of baby jail.  First it was Al’s, now Perry’s in Grapevine.

So, Perry’s in Grapevine.  Wife (no pics) wanted to go there for her birthday.  It opened earlier this year, chain restaurant, etc. so my expectations were low.  We were pleasantly surprised.

Atmosphere:  Loud and modern.  Saw people in everything from coat/tie to shorts/t-shirt.  One lady looked like she just walked off the beach.  (I’m still not used to seeing such casual dress at high-end steakhouses.)  While sitting at the bar, Mrs. Sola said that she’d never been surrounded by more people at one time who had had “work done.”  I didn’t pick up on that, but she’s a chick and notices those things.  It was definitely packed with the Southlake see-and-be-seen crowd, though.

Drinks and appetizer:  Sat at the bar; I’ve had better bar service at Pappas restaurants.  The martini was very average.  We had the bacon-wrapped scallops, and they were overcooked – definitely disappointing.  Next time we’re going to try the pork chop bites.

Salad:  We split a wedge and… it was different in a good way.  Dressing was like a bleu cheese Dijon vinaigrette, and it was perfect for the 100 degree weather outside.  Wouldn’t have hit the spot in the dead of winter, though.

Steaks:  I had the Filet Perry.  The crabmeat topping was fishy, unfortunately, but the steak butter made the steak, and the asparagus was perfectly cooked (though I prefer grilled asparagus to steamed).

The big winner was my wife – she had the Chateaubriand, and it was superb.  Her favorite two foods are steak and BBQ, and she declared the Chateaubriand to be the “best piece of steak” available to us from the ~9 steakhouses in our area.  That’s one hell of a statement from her.

Sides:  The au gratin was serviceable, and the roasted creamed corn was distinctive and is recommended if you want something a little different.

The Devil in the Details:  I requested a booth and got one, and they provided my wife with a free desert for her birthday.  But I’ve become accustomed to some of the other things I expect when eating in a high-end steakhouse, and those were largely missing.  Examples:  I wasn’t addressed by name all night.  When the water bottle was delivered to the table, we had to pour the water ourselves.   Bread crumbs were not removed from the table until the end of the meal.  They served my customary after-dinner cognac cold rather than warm.  Etc.

The bottom line:  We look forward to our return visit.  Potential is there, and more research is required; will report back when that happens.  Getting out of baby jail is fun.

TL;DR:  Perry’s is tentatively tied with JR’s for our 2nd favorite steakhouse in the Grapevine area.  Bob’s still reigns.

I lived in Dallas from 1999 to 2003.  I've only been back a handful of times, so I can't intelligently speak on the newer steak houses or how some of the older guards have held up, but I associate Bob's with some great times in my life as a single guy straight out of law school who, for the first time ever, was making decent money (actually, it was silly money, as I started my big firm career right at the time of the ridiculous first-year associate raises).  I ate frequently at Bob's, as it was one of the first high-quality steak houses that I could actually afford on my own dime.  I do remember that other places had better quality trim (Nick & Sam's, for example).  But there was enough good people watching at Bob's, and would I often would see pro athletes or guys from ESPN there. 

On 7/10/2018 at 9:45 PM, Landomatic said:

Sorry, which part did you find obnoxious?

Probably the part where you were insulted by the fucking decor or when you called the place amateur hour because the patrons were average looking or when you commented on the hair and beards of the bartenders like that could possibly have dick to do with the quality of a restaurant. 

At least, that's my guess. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, South Austin said:

I lived in Dallas from 1999 to 2003.  I've only been back a handful of times, so I can't intelligently speak on the newer steak houses or how some of the older guards have held up, but I associate Bob's with some great times in my life as a single guy straight out of law school who, for the first time ever, was making decent money (actually, it was silly money, as I started my big firm career right at the time of the ridiculous first-year associate raises).  I ate frequently at Bob's, as it was one of the first high-quality steak houses that I could actually afford on my own dime.  I do remember that other places had better quality trim (Nick & Sam's, for example).  But there was enough good people watching at Bob's, and would I often would see pro athletes or guys from ESPN there. 

Pretty much same, although I was partner level in smaller firms and irked by the 120K starts.  It's very manly or guy-y without trying too hard.  This is Bob's on Lemmon, I take it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty much same.  It's very manly or guy-y without trying too hard.  This is Bob's on Lemmon, I take it.

Yep, on Lemon. And in the days before Uber and mature sensibility that would call a cab, on several nights I made the short drive home from Bob's when I had no business behind the wheel.

16 minutes ago, CBT said:

Probably the part where you were insulted by the fucking decor or when you called the place amateur hour because the patrons were average looking or when you commented on the hair and beards of the bartenders like that could possibly have dick to do with the quality of a restaurant. 

At least, that's my guess. 

So not liking schticky decor, average people and hipsters makes me obnoxious?  Okay...I guess I’m obnoxious then.

Great Reminder tonight why original Al Beirnat's remains best in class in Dallas.   Had a Filet/Lobster special that was phenomenal.  Wife had a Texas Wagyu ribeye that was probably better (with leftovers I will go to work on tomorrow).  Sides of Mac + creamed spinach were legit.  It's been 2+ years since we last went (and harder now to go anywhere with a kiddo) but definitely will prioritize more visits.  So much on that menu I want to try.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, Landomatic said:

Gave Town Hearth another shot this weekend. 

Overall, I guess it's just not for me as obviously there are a ton of other people who like it.  We really wanted to love it and I think we gave it all a really fair shake.  We won't likely go back, but I'm sure they'll be just fine without me.

Pretty much my experience too.  Hated the look and feel of the place and didn't think the prices matched the food and experience.  We went there early on and were thinking of going back, but I don't think so.  Too many better places.

• 4 months later...

I did Pappas Bros. Dallas Steakhouse for a business dinner/meeting this week.  That neighborhood still sucks.  That said, it was a great meal.  Solid cocktails and wine list. The stellar apps were crab cakes and foie gras.  Lobster bisque won the soup/salad round.  Everybody enjoyed the protein round -- perfectly cooked to order.  Desserts were all decadent and delicious.  It was a perfect high-end steakhouse experience and the table servers were cognizant that we were doing business and stayed out of our way.  But I can't overcome hating that location.  Al Biernat's is still the king of Dallas high-end steakhouses for me.  YMMV.

20 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I did Pappas Bros. Dallas Steakhouse for a business dinner/meeting this week.  That neighborhood still sucks.  That said, it was a great meal.  Solid cocktails and wine list. The stellar apps were crab cakes and foie gras.  Lobster bisque won the soup/salad round.  Everybody enjoyed the protein round -- perfectly cooked to order.  Desserts were all decadent and delicious.  It was a perfect high-end steakhouse experience and the table servers were cognizant that we were doing business and stayed out of our way.  But I can't overcome hating that location.  Al Biernat's is still the king of Dallas high-end steakhouses for me.  YMMV.

If you hit the strip clubs after, the location seems much better for some reason.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, Landomatic said:

If you hit the strip clubs after, the location seems much better for some reason.

Isn't that obnoxious Greek restaurant place over in that neck of the woods? That seems like a good way to forget everything that happened in a night once the Grapa starts flowing. 

On 12/10/2018 at 12:25 PM, ztejas said:

Isn't that obnoxious Greek restaurant place over in that neck of the woods? That seems like a good way to forget everything that happened in a night once the Grapa starts flowing. 

Stratos? It's sort of over there.

• 1 month later...

Ate at Dee Lincoln Prime at the Star, was good, but not necessarily any better than any of the other high end steak houses. Didn’t have any of the sushi though. Appetizers were good, standout being avocado fries. Had a bone in ribeye that was cooked perfectly and had a nice crust. Standout side was the crispy Brussel sprouts but all were good. Desert was a fried donut and java mousse was a nice change of pace from carrot cake or cheese cake. 

I guess you are right but I've never considered stratosphere over the by Pappas bros

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Hunter Pond (East Hampton/Hudson House) is opening a new steakhouse called Drake's in Inwood Village. Opening in Sept.

Drakes, huh?  Will it be Toronto Raptor themed?

As an aside, I didn’t know East Hampton and Hudson House were related.  Weird because I love Hudson House.

18 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Drakes, huh?  Will it be Toronto Raptor themed?

As an aside, I didn’t know East Hampton and Hudson House were related.  Weird because I love Hudson House.

I haven't been in awhile but I do like East Hampton. We spend a LOT of time at Hudson House.,

Had the filet at Hillstone last night (don't worry I didn't pay for it).

8/10 steak. Perfect medium rare (would get it rare were I to dine again) with a nice crust - just a touch salty for my taste though. And no there wasn't a bunch of fucking sauce dumped all over it (can't remember what thread that ridiculous discussion was in).

They do a chilled asparagus that was on the side -  it was really good although obviously not the highlight. 

Hillstone seems like a place that is a touch overpriced but that you would struggle to ever have a bad meal at. 

Edited by ztejas

I’m not sure how Hillstone can be viewed as overpriced for the quality of food and level of service. Especially compared to the much more expensive steakhouses. And their venues tend to be very nicely done inside. I’m a big fan of them. They do a great job with grilled fish also.

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I’m not sure how Hillstone can be viewed as overpriced for the quality of food and level of service. Especially compared to the much more expensive steakhouses. And their venues tend to be very nicely done inside. I’m a big fan of them. They do a great job with grilled fish also.

To be fair, I said just a touch... I mean the cheeseburger is $18. The filet was $49 (9oz). All of the appetizers were in the teens iirc. 

Yeah they aren't gouging you like Nick and Sam's but it's at least $60/person including the tip if you're drinking and eating good. 

But hey, I'm a poor yuppie and like I said didn't pay for it so not judging - I wouldn't hesitate to return (and yes the service was great). Also someone that generally cooks my own steak if I have a hankering for it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

To be fair, I said just a touch... I mean the cheeseburger is $18. The filet was $49 (9oz). All of the appetizers were in the teens iirc. 

Yeah they aren't gouging you like Nick and Sam's but it's at least $60/person including the tip if you're drinking and eating good. 

But hey, I'm a poor yuppie and like I said didn't pay for it so not judging - I wouldn't hesitate to return (and yes the service was great). Also someone that generally cooks my own steak if I have a hankering for it. 

Yeah, $49 is getting up there for a steak. Al's and the rest are only $5-$10 more at the most.

Edited by C-Man

Just now, bigup2dahorns said:

At Hillstone your steak comes with a side item and at Al Biernats that price is just the steak. So tack on another 10 bucks or whatever for the side item for a fair comp.

Good point - mine actually came with mashed taters (or for you button up folk what Hillstone refers to as a "potato puree") and a really good asparagus. 

Person I was with got the crab cakes and it was a pretty huge portion.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

At Hillstone your steak comes with a side item and at Al Biernats that price is just the steak. So tack on another 10 bucks or whatever for the side item for a fair comp.

Makes sense.

5 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Um, sir...the steaks at Al’s come with a dollop of mashed sweet potatoes.  Sooooo, yeah.

In all seriousness, I think both restaurants are priced correctly.  Al’s is higher priced but also higher end.

Dallas sandwich king goes Hollywood with new steakhouse restaurant

Jun 25, 2019, 2:18 pm

Steak frites at Terrace Bistro at NYLO South Side
Making the jump from sandwiches to steaks. Courtesy photo

Dallas is getting something it dearly needs: a new steakhouse. Called Drake's, it'll be at 5007 W. Lovers Ln., right next to the original Neighborhood Services, where it will open in October.

Drake's comes from Hunter Pond, founder and CEO of Vandelay Hospitality Group, with restaurant concepts including the East Hampton Sandwich Co. chain and Hudson House, the East Coast-style restaurant also on Lovers Lane.

But according to a release, Drake's is inspired by restaurants on the West Coast, namely, "old-school, classic hangouts of Los Angeles like Delilah's, Craig's, and Mr. Nice Guy."

It'll go into the space that used to be Lovers Lane Antique Market, where it will boast an old Hollywood feel, with dim mood lighting, red interiors, and a circular bar at the center.

It'll be open for dinner only, with a menu created by Pond that's described as "beef-forward," but with "neighborhood prices."

Cocktails will be "inspired by the Beverly Hills Hotel." Pink?

There will also be live music, including jazz on Thursdays from 6-10 pm, and a DJ on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 pm to midnight.

The release says that Pond chose the location because he felt the neighborhood needed "a high-energy spot for dinner and drinks."

"My vision for Drake's is to be a comfortable, yet sophisticated place to hang out with friends," Pond says in a statement. "We are huge fans of this neighborhood, and we believe this concept will thrive due to the need for fun places to have dinner – keyword being fun."

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-25-19-drakes-steakhouse-hunter-pond-park-cities-east-hampton-sandwich/?fbclid=IwAR0qS4WGXejPhW2DSCkMzx1V6gujO1Yfo3bW7DyijoUiN5sKA249LhgK68Q

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Sounds solid. I disagree that Dallas needs more steakhouses, though. Who the fuck patronizes steakhouses enough to be left wanting in Dallas?

I don’t know, man...I get much past Al Biernat’s, which we go to way too much, and I’m left wanting something more.

Never saw the appeal to Knife, really haven’t cared for Town Hearth the few times I’ve gone...too hipster, had a falling out with Nick & Sams, but even if I hadn’t it’s a really big night kind of place that’s pretty unapproachable.  Pretty much left with chains past that.  Del Frisco (chain) is always pretty solid food-wise but they made the place too damn big so it always feels like it lacks a pulse.  Bob’s (chain) damn sure ain’t what she used to be.  What else is there?  So, yeah I guess put me in the “patronizes steakhouses enough to be left wanting in Dallas” camp.  I’m ready for something new if it’s good.

Plus I really really really like this guy’s Hudson House concept (maybe the best burger in town - and I’m not kidding) so I have high hopes he’ll nail this shit.  Plus the dude’s like our age.  Or maybe younger.  I haz excite.

Not to mention, if we get too fucked up, I’m pretty sure @C-Man lives somewhere around there so we can probably just stumble our drunk asses over to his house after.  It’s a win/win.  😁

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Likely repeating myself, but Al's is by far my go to for a steakhouse.  I think that the Dallas Pappas Bros. is also really good, though I hate the area it is located in.  Beyond those two, I'd rather go someplace other than a steakhouse for a nice dinner in Dallas.

Yeah. This is what I don't get. There are so many fantastic places to go that aren't steakhouses, and if you're really digging the steakhouse vibe then make steaks at home. 

41 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t know, man...I get much past Al Biernat’s, which we go to way too much, and I’m left wanting something more.

Never saw the appeal to Knife, really haven’t cared for Town Hearth the few times I’ve gone...too hipster, had a falling out with Nick & Sams, but even if I hadn’t it’s a really big night kind of place that’s pretty unapproachable.  Pretty much left with chains past that.  Del Frisco (chain) is always pretty solid food-wise but they made the place too damn big so it always feels like it lacks a pulse.  Bob’s (chain) damn sure ain’t what she used to be.  What else is there?  So, yeah I guess put me in the “patronizes steakhouses enough to be left wanting in Dallas” camp.  I’m ready for something new if it’s good.

Plus I really really really like this guy’s Hudson House concept (maybe the best burger in town - and I’m not kidding) so I have high hopes he’ll nail this shit.  Plus the dude’s like our age.  Or maybe younger.  I haz excite.

Not to mention, if we get too fucked up, I’m pretty sure @C-Man lives somewhere around there so we can probably just stumble our drunk asses over to his house after.  It’s a win/win.  😁

Yeah, Al's is pretty easily #1. I think you can get some great steaks at other places around if you're in the mood such as Truluck's. I hear Pappas Brothers is amazing but that area fucking blows and I can't imagine the scene is like you get at Al's or even Town Hearth, which I like a lot. Also it sounds like this is going have a slightly lower price point, which is great.

BTW, Lando, pretty sure Pond is MUCH younger than both us. And, yes, you can always crash at our place -- we're right down the street!!!

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And, yes, you can always crash at our place -- we're right down the street!!!

Hahaha remember that when @Zepol87 and I are stumbling around in your back yard in the middle of the night trying to figure out how to get the pool jets on digging through your beer fridge and you have to try to explain it to Mrs C-Man.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What about III Forks in Dallas? In town for a meeting and going there tonight-- don't know much about it. I've been to Al Biernat's years ago on business and was blown away that's all about Dallas steaks I know. 

Never been. Don't hear much about it anymore TBH but at one time it was mentioned along with Bob's and Del Frisco's and the rest of Dallas' iconic steakhouses.

I haven't been in forever, but Chamberlain's in Addison has always been great.  And reasonably priced for an upscale steakhouse.  14 oz NY Strip is $44 and comes with garlic mashed potatoes.  16 oz Prime Ribeye is $46 plus mashed potatoes.

https://www.chamberlainssteakhouse.com/dinner

Before opening this restaurant, Chamberlain was a sous chef at The Mansion under Dean Fearing.  He's got chops.

Shit, I'm gonna go here in the next few weeks just to see if it still holds up. 

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

What about III Forks in Dallas? In town for a meeting and going there tonight-- don't know much about it. I've been to Al Biernat's years ago on business and was blown away that's all about Dallas steaks I know. 

Wish I’d seen this before.  Sorry, but I haven’t been there forever, but the last time I was, it was all about the baseball steak and the creamed corn...which was amazing and I don’t even like corn.  Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.  Good luck

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I haven't been in forever, but Chamberlain's in Addison has always been great.  And reasonably priced for an upscale steakhouse.  14 oz NY Strip is $44 and comes with garlic mashed potatoes.  16 oz Prime Ribeye is $46 plus mashed potatoes.

Before opening this restaurant, Chamberlain was a sous chef at The Mansion under Dean Fearing.  He's got chops.

Damn it’s been forever since I’ve been there.  Had some amazing nights there back in my single days.  @Jive Turkey...PM me.  I too wanna know if it holds up.

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Wish I’d seen this before.  Sorry, but I haven’t been there forever, but the last time I was, it was all about the baseball steak and the creamed corn...which was amazing and I don’t even like corn.  Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.  Good luck

I don't know about the baseball steak and didn't see it on the menu. The appetizer was presented well as a stack offering; beef carpaccio on the lower rung, followed by seared scallops and the top rung being the calamari.

Bone-in Ribeye was okay, nothing to write home about. Had an equal tasting Ribeye at Salt Grass last weekend with my kids. Sides were meh outside of the creamed corn. Ambiance/Interior felt dated, but not in a way that is specifically on purpose. Just like some time has passed and things have slipped, but it was just fine overall.

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Damn it’s been forever since I’ve been there.  Had some amazing nights there back in my single days.  @Jive Turkey...PM me.  I too wanna know if it holds up.

We go there a lot, along with Chamberlain's Fish House since my in-laws in Farmers Branch. They love it. I had a Kobe NY Strip at Chamberlain's for my BIL's 40th birthday a few years back that is the single best steak I've ever eaten in a restaurant. It was phenomenal -- and I think I posted about it on TOS.

20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

What about III Forks in Dallas?

plmusf5.jpg

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Never been. Don't hear much about it anymore TBH but at one time it was mentioned along with Bob's and Del Frisco's and the rest of Dallas' iconic steakhouses.

Mrs. Sola (no pics) and I went about 12 years ago, back when it was frequently mentioned as one of the top places in DFW.  It was OK, but, even though society was becoming more casual back then, I just couldn't take all the patrons wearing jorts and baseball hats.  It was like half the patrons were in town from East Texas for shopping at the Big City Malls, were having their big night out, and never thought to dress differently than when going to Golden Corral.  I literally never hear III Forks mentioned anymore when talking about DFW high-end steakhouses.

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Please report back - I'm intrigued.

Reporting from the suburbs....

Perry's and Bob's still reign here in the middle of the metroplex.  We've noticed a trend, though.  Perry's off-menu specials really, really shine where their on-menu items fall short of Bob's standard offerings.  But I've never had anything off-menu at Bob's that I thought was better than their standard fare (except maybe for their bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp that my wife loves).  Indeed, the worst prime rib I've ever had was a "special" at Bob's.  Tl;dr if you want a sure-fire solid meal, head to Bob's and order off the menu.  For a shot at something superior, head to Perry's and order one of their specials.

Edited by solamente73
Golden Corral. Yes, that's what it felt like, and I've never even been to one

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

6 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

plmusf5.jpg

Mrs. Sola (no pics) and I went about 12 years ago, back when it was frequently mentioned as one of the top places in DFW.  It was OK, but, even though society was becoming more casual back then, I just couldn't take all the patrons wearing jorts and baseball hats.  It was like half the patrons were in town from East Texas for shopping at the Big City Malls, were having their big night out, and never thought to dress differently than when going to Golden Corral.  I literally never hear III Forks mentioned anymore when talking about DFW high-end steakhouses.

Please report back - I'm intrigued.

I will report back. Now I’m kinda excited to go back.