Wurstfest grounds fire

tejas60

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/archives/2019/11/15/fire-breaks-out-at-new-braunfels-wurstfest-grounds

Two fires broke out this week at the festival grounds for New Braunfels' annual sausage-and-beer celebration.

According to reports, crews responded to a fire on the Wurstfest grounds Thursday evening. The fire was contained to the food court area — the historic Wursthalle and Marktplatz area — and extinguished, KENS 5 reports.

Then, around 6:30 a.m. on Friday, a fire broke out once again in the Marktplatz area, and this time the blaze was larger. Multiple fire departments were reportedly on the scene to help fight back the flames.

No injuries were reported, but the Marktplatz suffered smoke, fire and water damage. The roof also collapsed. Wursthalle has heat damage but is still considered structurally sound.
The damages are estimated to be around $50,000, according to a News 4 San Antonio report.

The Comal River has been closed temporarily due to materials from the fire entering the runoff water. Authorities are now investigating and advise people to stay away from the area.

16 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Today's reason why I'm a bad person: Drove past a butcher shop on the drive into work. They were clearly in the final stages of mopping up after what appeared to be a pretty severe fire. Holes cut in the walls, smoke damage everywhere, Etc. Despite the obvious tragedy of the situation, losing a local small business, literally the only thing I could think was: "Damn, I'll bet that smelled delicious..."

So was this a fail by the FD for letting this contained fire reignite? I know nothing of this science, so I'd like to hear from our experts like wood.

It is hard to say for sure. If there was arson involved they could have come back to finish the job.

Rekindles happen. They are preventable by doing a very thorough overhaul. But this happens to every department.

Stuff can smolder and even the smoke can be hidden especially if there were piles of stuff that had burned. I was the incident commander on a structure fire this morning that has near hoarding conditions and the guys were starting to get pissed about the amount of effort we were putting into overhaul. I don’t ever want to be the guys who put the house out twice.
  • Like 3

So it looks like the main hall will be ok. The Marketplatz is completely gone, which is fine, because all it was was a giant wooden barn. They can rebuild that in 2 weeks if they want. Hopefully they'll do something a little better and make one without such a giant clusterfuck of an entrance/exit.