Prairie View A&M ve Texas- 7pm on LHN

Goo Punch

33 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

How was Will Baker a 5 star? He looks abysmal in the limited minutes I've seen him in. 

Some people take time to develop. He has vision and can pass so don’t jump ship because he’s not blocking shots and throwing down dunks.  

Just now, SDG said:

Some people take time to develop. He has vision and can pass so don’t jump ship because he’s not blocking shots and throwing down dunks.  

Nah, I'm not bailing on the kid, I'm just curious how he was a 5 star coming out of hs. He looks lost, tbh. Usually I think of a 5 star as someone who is well above most others on the court, but he hasn't shown any of that. I agree he probably does need time to develop. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

How was Will Baker a 5 star? He looks abysmal in the limited minutes I've seen him in. 

he did a good job of setting his picks and rolling to the basket. He actually looked to the ball for a pass on his path to the basket like he was coached in high school. god forbid a perimeter player would pass  it into him on his way to the basket or he be allowed to setup on the low post and receive a pass. Sims doesn't even look for the ball anymore after setting a pick and rolling to the basket probably because he knows the ball is never coming. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Nolacycling said:

he did a good job of setting his picks and rolling to the basket. He actually looked to the ball for a pass on his path to the basket like he was coached in high school. god forbid a perimeter player would pass  it into him on his way to the basket or he be allowed to setup on the low post and receive a pass. Sims doesn't even look for the ball anymore after setting a pick and rolling to the basket probably because he knows the ball is never coming. 

One thing I've noticed with Sims, even though he's not a huge scorer is he's a decent rebounder, and honestly that's all I could ask for. Our guards are playing better this season, and AJ just picks up where he left off. So far, other than being confused by Baker, I'm fairly satisfied with the team. It's only 4 games, but we're doing what we need to do defensively. 

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Well first off, I hate what recruiting rankings have become. Having 5 stars by your name used to mean you were a top 5 player nationally. Every year there were only a handful of 5 star guys, and their hit rate was very high. Now, guys like Baker who are clearly 4 year players and ranked 30th in the country are tabbed as 5* players.

That said, i have zero fucking clue as to why this guy was rated so highly in HS. I watched him play in person, and he was unassuming, unathletic, slow, and not all that impactful. Absolutely no clue why he was a 5 star. If he ever makes first team All Conference i'll be shocked.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Well first off, I hate what recruiting rankings have become. Having 5 stars by your name used to mean you were a top 5 player nationally. Every year there were only a handful of 5 star guys, and their hit rate was very high. Now, guys like Baker who are clearly 4 year players and ranked 30th in the country are tabbed as 5* players.

That said, i have zero fucking clue as to why this guy was rated so highly in HS. I watched him play in person, and he was unassuming, unathletic, slow, and not all that impactful. Absolutely no clue why he was a 5 star. If he ever makes first team All Conference i'll be shocked.

Thank you! I've highlighted exactly what my brain was trying to say, and you did it for me. It's exactly what I was thinking regarding his ranking. And I agree, with everything that you said, although him making all-conference wouldn't shock me in year 4, but right now it looks like me out there, but far taller. 

16 hours ago, SDG said:

This is the NCAA version of preseason; thats m hope...
we are fast as f and play okay, getting better D, use that to you advantage. 

unfortunately this is who we are.  it isn't the preseason.  the guy has no idea what to do on offense.  we will get skullfucked in conf. when we don't out-athlete everyone.  we will win some because we will get hot from 3(50+%) once every 4 games and every once in a while the other team will be ice cold.

I really hope this is his last year.  he is so out of his depth in this conference and I'd like to see what CDC could do.  he doesn't seem to settle