My PC won't start

RPM

I have a custom built pc that's a few years old, but still does everything I need it to. I planned ahead when I ordered it from Cyberpower. Only 1 problem, it does not want to start if I shut it down. Had the power button on the case replaced and problem solved for a few months, then it started again. The work around seems to be unplug the power for a few minutes then try again. Usually that works but today I had to shut it down to install new ram (32Gigs) and it took me an hour to power back up. 

First thought is the power supply, but all my peripherals power up as soon as I plug the cord in and once the pc is running there are 0 power issues. WTF is going on? Going to turn on Wake on LAN and see if that works.

Usually power supplies either work or they don't, but I have had one behave like yours.  It may be dying a slow death or is only marginally capable of putting out enough watts to power your rig.  This would explain why it can power your peripherals, but only occasionally generates enough juice to start your system.  I would order a new one that is rated for 50-100 watts more than you need.  I prefer Corsair or Seasonic.  Do not buy generic unless you want to replace it again in a year or so.      

I bought a new power supply a couple months ago the last time it wouldn't start. Then it started, so I never installed it. Like you, I've never seen one "kinda" work. They either work or they're dead. No burnt smell either, for what that's worth.

59 minutes ago, RPM said:

I bought a new power supply a couple months ago the last time it wouldn't start. Then it started, so I never installed it. Like you, I've never seen one "kinda" work. They either work or they're dead. No burnt smell either, for what that's worth.

try going back to the pre-new ram configuration.

or try just getting the motherboard and video(kb as well) to come up with everything else unplugged.   then build your way back up.  maybe try your motherboard with the new ram only and video(kb as well).  new ram can cause weird things to happen.  might not be exact type needed or works with generic mobos but not {insert major vender that has custom bios).

Don't give up till it proves it is bad.  start basic and use known working/good configurations till you figure out what it is. 

Or go spend $500-1200 on a new machine and transfer the data over.  If you have had the machine 4-5 years sometimes that is just the way to go.

I feel like it's your GPU. Check the connections. Try other hardware like a different HDD if you have one to do the process of elimination. Sometimes you just need to reset everything (i.e. unplug, plug everything back in) and try it and you'll be good. 

50 minutes ago, zork said:

try going back to the pre-new ram configuration

It's not the ram. I was having this problem before I installed it. That's why I installed a new power switch. I should probably build a new computer, but like HEB, when it works it's great.