SpaceX

Neonmoon

Question: Is anyone other company half as far along as SpaceX? 

In terms of orbital rocket reuse? No. Blue Origin is 2-3 years away with New Glenn, but that will be surpassed by Starship.

Only China has the resources and will to compete.

Everyone else is playing catch-up and it’s 42-14 in the third quarter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, elfenix said:

SN15 expected to explode within the hour

edit: how is a book not taking bets on this?

I’ll create some action. Will take 1:1 bets up to $100 individually and aggregate of $500 total at risk (5 posters can wager $100 get paid $100 if the shit lands and doesn’t explode w/I one hour of landing).  Scrub means all bets off. I think they are close to sticking it, but expect a fireball. Would like to see them stick it. 

Edited by Anastasis

SpaceX stream is saying the fire isn't completely unexpected, but they totally nailed the landing. The entire maneuver has been demonstrated successfully now. They seem to be working the gremlins out of their raptor engines too. 

It's crazy to see such significant progress made every. single. launch.

Edit: looks like the flames are out and now starship is dumping it's fuel and oxidizer to safe itself 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bezos trying to one-up Musk in one space related  thing:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-to-be-on-blue-origins-first-human-space-flight-11623066174

Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos to Be on Blue Origin’s First Human Space Flight 

The New Shepard spacecraft is scheduled for launch from West Texas on July 20

Jeff Bezos has invested heavily in Blue Origin, contributing as much as roughly $1 billion to his space-travel company in some years.

Matt Grossman

Updated June 7, 2021 8:23 am ET

Jeff Bezos plans to travel to space next month as one of the first passengers carried by Blue Origin, the Amazon.com Inc. founder’s space-travel company.

Mr. Bezos said in an Instagram post on Monday that he will be one of the inaugural travelers on Blue Origin’s New Shepard spacecraft, during a flight scheduled for launch from West Texas on July 20. Mr. Bezos said that his brother, Mark Bezos, will also be part of the crew.

“I want to go on this flight because it’s a thing I’ve wanted to do all my life,” Mr. Bezos said in a video posted to Instagram. “It’s an adventure. It’s a big deal for me.” 

Mr. Bezos, who is stepping down as Amazon’s chief executive July 5 after leading the company for more than two decades, has invested heavily in Blue Origin, contributing as much as roughly $1 billion in some years. Mr. Bezos, who already serves as Amazon’s chairman, will hold the title executive chairman after his lieutenant Andy Jassy becomes CEO.

Blue Origin has said it aims to support widespread commercial activity in space in the future. In addition to its space-tourism efforts, Blue Origin is also working on rockets that could launch payloads for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. 

The passenger list for Blue Origin’s July flight is also set to include the winner of a charity auction that will conclude this month. The auction has had nearly 6,000 participants and the highest bid is at $2.8 million, Blue Origin said Monday.

Blue Origin’s New Shepard capsule, seen here in this undated illustration, has room for six people and is fully autonomous.

The New Shepard capsule has room for six people and is fully autonomous. The craft is designed to rise briefly above the Karman Line—an imaginary boundary about 62 miles above sea level that is considered the beginning of space—before returning to the ground beneath a parachute 10 minutes after launch.

Blue Origin’s efforts to commercialize spaceflight parallel those of SpaceX, the spaceflight company led by Tesla Inc. CEO Elon Musk. SpaceX last year became the first company to launch NASA astronauts into space.

Both companies competed to design a new capsule that could land astronauts on the moon before NASA awarded the contract to SpaceXin April. Blue Origin has filed a petition challenging the contract award. 

Billionaire Richard Branson has also invested in commercial spaceflight. Virgin Galactic Holdings Inc., a company he founded that also plans to offer space tourism, went public in a 2019 merger with a blank-check company. 

Edited by smokebomb

4 hours ago, smokebomb said:

Is he trying to become the modern-day Howard Hughes to test flight his space ship? On one level it's seems irresponsible of him to join flight #1, but since he's stepping down as CEO of Amazon, why not.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A 1hr turnaround? Like launch, recover, and launch an hour later?

Fucking wild shit. NASA couldn’t pull that off in 100 years, let alone 10 or so. 

Amazing things happening that seemed like science fiction not 20 years ago. Amazing what can happen when the private sector joins the fray. 

Of course they have been at it for a while, but it never ceases to amaze me when Elon can just casually mention something like this as if it were everyday common.