Bill Barr, large dildo.

Hugo Stiglitz

so barr thinks it's ok that the tops of these depts (appointees) are blindly partisan and ultra-political.  forget ok, he prefers it and thinks it's how it should be.

the problem is that guys like biden (or dems in general) will get in power and won't abuse the system this way.  they'll try to fix it and return to normalcy.  but as long as the other side is pushing for a tilted system whenever they're in power, there will never be a proper balance.

so you either have a system weighted towards the corrupt, or you have to play dirty too and betray your own values.  it's a fucked situation that trump has created by politicizing everything and turning us into eastern europe.  and barr has done the heavy lifting.  the only way out is to keep dems in power for 12 years and purge the fucking system.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so barr thinks it's ok that the tops of these depts (appointees) are blindly partisan and ultra-political.  forget ok, he prefers it and thinks it's how it should be.

the problem is that guys like biden (or dems in general) will get in power and won't abuse the system this way.  they'll try to fix it and return to normalcy.  but as long as the other side is pushing for a tilted system whenever they're in power, there will never be a proper balance.

so you either have a system weighted towards the corrupt, or you have to play dirty too and betray your own values.  it's a fucked situation that trump has created by politicizing everything and turning us into eastern europe.  and barr has done the heavy lifting.  the only way out is to keep dems in power for 12 years and purge the fucking system.

I think a criminal prosecution of Barr along with a life in prison sentence would do the trick. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HenryJames said:

maybe i'm in the minority here, but this whole hypocrisy attack on govt officials who are attacking the idea but who also themselves voted by mail is fucking weak and needs to end.  sure, it's a fun question to ask the president about his own votes by mail, just to hear him talk in circles and look foolish, but past that, it's a pretty lame form of gotcha and in the current climate, extremely limp.

this is the type of shit that worked in the 1980's when any blemish was blown out of proportion.  "he contradicted himself, how can he be trusted?!!?"  those days are long gone.  trump did worse shit while i was typing this post, and barr too probably.  it's stupid, outdated, and should be put to pasture.

The attorney general of the United States of America just compared stay at home orders due to a pandemic to slavery. 

Why does he still have a law license? I realize he’s not in jail yet because he’s the corrupt AG but at least revoke that. Then after trump loses throw his fat ass in jail. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The attorney general of the United States of America just compared stay at home orders due to a pandemic to slavery. 

Why does he still have a law license? I realize he’s not in jail yet because he’s the corrupt AG but at least revoke that. Then after trump loses throw his fat ass in jail. 

Just look at that smug sonofabitch. I would love to smack that stupid, shit eating grin off his face. 

tenor.gif

Edited by Mapache
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

maybe i'm in the minority here, but this whole hypocrisy attack on govt officials who are attacking the idea but who also themselves voted by mail is fucking weak and needs to end.  sure, it's a fun question to ask the president about his own votes by mail, just to hear him talk in circles and look foolish, but past that, it's a pretty lame form of gotcha and in the current climate, extremely limp.

this is the type of shit that worked in the 1980's when any blemish was blown out of proportion.  "he contradicted himself, how can he be trusted?!!?"  those days are long gone.  trump did worse shit while i was typing this post, and barr too probably.  it's stupid, outdated, and should be put to pasture.

Gonna disagree with you here.  You don't get to scream about how voting by mail is rife with corruption while voting by mail in every single election.  That is not acceptable and they need to be called out on it at every opportunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Gonna disagree with you here.  You don't get to scream about how voting by mail is rife with corruption while voting by mail in every single election.  That is not acceptable and they need to be called out on it at every opportunity. 

but pointing it out also shows he voted by mail 2 specific times, which means he voted in person the other times.  which means he probably can explain voting absentee when he was too busy with work shit.  it's just not an attack that sticks, and there's so much else out there.  in the past 24 hours, barr has done/said 25 things way worse than the voting by mail.  this is how focus gets lost.

and i'm not wealthy or busy or important.  but i would bet the vast majority of these types of people vote absentee or don't vote at all.  they also don't pick up their dry cleaning or ever set foot in a bank.  saying that bill barr voted absentee twice in the past 8 years just doesn't even pop on my radar.

The only way he stays in power is if Trump wins the election, and he's going to rely on mutual toleration to avoid prison. 

Two crucially important informal norms that the authors highlight, and explain the robustness of American democracy, are (1) mutual toleration and (2) institutional forbearance. The first norm refers to the acknowledgement of the legitimacy of one’s political opponents to compete for power through the democratic process, so long as they play within constitutional rules (p. 102). Mutual toleration excludes the use, or even encouragement, of threats and violence to bar political opponents from competing for office. The second norm is closely related to the rule of law; institutional forbearance means that elected officials cannot exercise legal action that intentionally privileges one group of individuals at the expense of another. For example, the passage of poll taxes or literacy tests, as occurred throughout the post-Reconstruction South, was generally applied across the population, making no reference to race. However, Southern states passed these laws knowing the intended effect would be to disenfranchise African Americans, who voted overwhelmingly Republican, and therefore restore the Democrats’ dominance in the South. This example was a violation of institutional forbearance: though it was rule by law, it was not rule of law.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The only way he stays in power is if Trump wins the election, and he's going to rely on mutual toleration to avoid prison. 

here's what i want.  i want them to go to trump and agree to ease up on certain charges if he throws barr under the bus.  he'll agree before the end of the sentence. 

this is the type of guy who gets ruined by trump.  the guy who shows such loyalty that he puts his own well being in harm's way, and completely dismantles his own reputation.

i've gotta think that barr is far worse than john mitchell at this point, and mitchell did time.

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and i'm not wealthy or busy or important.  but i would bet the vast majority of these types of people vote absentee or don't vote at all.  

that's a weird thought i've never had, and it has to be true.  you don't do anything to mix with the hoi polloi if you are the elite, including voting.  while i am very important, i too am neither wealthy nor busy, so i still vote in person.

I don't know how many times the sentiment "we're lucky Trump is a dumb authoritarian; the next one won't be so inept" has been expressed on this site. Well, once Barr came on board, this duo has figured the game out and we'll be lucky to save our democracy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, 27-25 said:

Hyperbole much, Bill?  He seems to be taking oratory queues from the Liar in Chief.  It may have been a few years since he read a history book.  Maybe he should brush up on some stuff that was glossed over back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Scare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Japanese internment wasn’t exactly a bright spot for freedom.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 27-25 said:

Hyperbole much, Bill?  He seems to be taking oratory queues from the Liar in Chief.  It may have been a few years since he read a history book.  Maybe he should brush up on some stuff that was glossed over back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Scare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Japanese internment wasn’t exactly a bright spot for freedom.

Wasn't just the Trail of Tears. Boarding schools for "Indian Civilization" were another atrocity.

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Not saying this is good but there’s plenty of R’s that know how to play the game at a high level... who have left Trump.  It may be ugly but those R operatives are useful right now.  Win at all costs. Don’t worry about any of the shit you’re talking about until this turd is flushed.  I think your points are valid but right now that’s not what we need to worry about.  Get dirty and get Barr/trump out.  Whatever it takes.  

Ok, just kidding, I can’t help myself.  Once they are out hire the most cutthroat AG ever and go after these shitheads with both guns blazing.  Until they have their own wing in the pen.  Maybe even hang a few like these 2.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Today is the virtual National Catholic Prayer Breakfast. This group is a political group, founded in 2004. Donald Trump is set to speak, and Bill is getting an award. The National Catholic Reporter had a good op-ed about it. https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/priestly-diary/honoring-barr-year-national-catholic-prayer-breakfast-so-clearly

• Hook 'Em 1

Why am I not surprised this happened? Oklahoma has a Republican governor and their virus control has been piss poor. My family still there have been very careful. I gave them the skinny a long time ago and they aren't fond of Trump so it wasn't a hard sell, but it is so on brand. (Barr was in Oklahoma on September 30 to discuss DOJ business and assist in discussions around the McGirt decision regarding state and tribal jurisdiction).

Also Barr news: after appearing at the Coney-Barrett event, Barr headed to Oklahoma to meet with tribal leaders, something I mentioned above. He was meeting to discuss matters pertaining to the McGirt SCOTUS decision from earlier this summer.

He flies back to DC to self-quarantine, and this week  the tribes literally receive the worst 'backsies' in a good long while. No, not the spread of the virus. This:

EPA Grants Oklahoma Control Over Tribal Lands

Agency Decision Reverses Tribal Sovereignty That Was Recognized in Landmark Supreme Court Ruling.

This strips from 38 tribes in Oklahoma their sovereignty over environmental issues. It also establishes a legal and administrative pathway to potential environmental abuses on tribal land, including dumping hazardous chemicals like carcinogenic PCBs and petroleum spills, with no legal recourse by the tribes, according to a former high-level official of the EPA.

This also includes hazardous chemicals that are byproducts of petroleum procurement and refining. In 2019, Oklahoma had the fourth largest petroleum industry in the US.

On July 22, Governor Stitt requested control of environmental regulations on tribal land involving a wide range of issues. All of Stitt’s requests in his letter were granted by the EPA. They include:

Hazardous waste dumping on tribal lands which could be any of the hundreds of hazardous chemicals listed by the EPA, including formaldehyde, mercury, lead, asbestos, toxic air pollutants, per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), pesticide chemicals, glyphosate, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).

Underground Injection Control, an EPA program used to permit fracking.

Protecting large agricultural polluters in industrial-sized livestock operations, most often dairy cows, hogs or chickens.  In his letter, Wheeler acknowledges that the U.S. Supreme Court decision McGirt v. Oklahoma precipitated this EPA action. The McGirt ruling found that, by treaty, much of eastern Oklahoma is still Native American territory, which could mean under five tribes’ jurisdiction including for taxation and regulation. In anticipation of the decision, the Seminole tribe in 2018 issued an eight percent tax on oil and gas wells on its reservation land.

The Petroleum Alliance of Oklahoma knew about Governor Stitt’s letter to the EPA on July 22, the day it was sent. This was close to one month before the tribal governments were told.

Excerpted from article, TYT.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
left out the date--this decision was rendered on October 5, five days after Barr's visit

Do you know much about Stitt? I haven't lived in the state for a long time, and my family still there doesn't care for him. He's got a checkered past (fraud) with the Gateway Mortgage Company  he founded but the bit about him messing with the tribes has this weird plot twist: he is a member of the Cherokee Nation. He was born in Florida but his family moved to Oklahoma when he was little and he grew up there, graduated from OSU, and has lived there since. I'm pretty sure he has further political ambitions, but him being a part of the tribe has a history all its own. Stitt draws his affiliation from an ancestor the Cherokee Nation fought to disenroll due to fraud.

If anyone cares to read about it, here's one article:

Spoiler

The Cherokee Nation once fought to disenroll Gov. Kevin Stitt’s ancestors

Documents show the Oklahoma governor’s connections to the tribe may have originated in an act of fraud more than 100 years ago.

Last week, High Country News and The New York Times jointly reported a story on the ongoing battle between Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, R, and tribes in the state over a gaming compact. We spoke with Cherokee genealogists, who noted that Stitt, a citizen of the Cherokee Nation, has only one documented tie to Cherokee ancestry, a man the tribe’s own attorneys once accused of fraudulently enrolling.

According to the federal documents we reviewed, Cherokee Nation attorneys accused Gov. Stitt’s ancestor, Francis Dawson, of bribing commissioners around 1880 — pretending to be Cherokee in order to gain tribal citizenship as well as access to hundreds of acres of free land. Cherokee attorneys also alleged that Dawson paid for about two dozen of his relatives to gain access to tribal rolls, along with allotted land, by paying Cherokee officials and his attorney $100 a head for each enrollment. Gov. Stitt has declined multiple requests to be interviewed by High Country News and the Times.

In a statement to a local television station the day after our story appeared, Gov. Stitt called the documents and the case they lay out “unsubstantiated slander.” We dispute this characterization. The Cherokee Nation's case created hundreds of pages of witness testimony and evidence. Here, we highlight some of the context necessary to understand what the accusations were and how the tribe’s case was built.

THE CHEROKEE NATION attempted to remove Francis Dawson from its tribal rolls over 100 years ago. But Cherokee Nation citizenship is not based on race, and Gov. Stitt, Dawson’s descendant, remains a member of the tribe. Though his family’s history of citizenship is unique, it is not necessarily unusual for a Cherokee Nation citizen to lack genetic ties to the tribe. Today, there exists no mechanism in Cherokee Nation law to disenroll a citizen.

Around 1900, Cherokee attorneys worked to remove the Dawsons from the tribe by taking the case before the Dawes Commission, which was originally established by the federal government to force tribes in Oklahoma to cede their land by distributing plots to individual Indigenous owners. The commission eventually dissolved communal tribal lands, piece by piece, as family plots were sold to non-Native owners.

One of the dozens of witnesses in the case testified that Dawson had only one witness, a doctor in Arkansas, to prove he was Cherokee. “(Dawson) said he could give him four drinks of Arkansas whiskey and he would swear that black was white,” J.L. Clinkenbeard testified on page 29 of the documents. He added that the doctor himself never actually testified in person.

The attorney, A.S. McKennon, who assisted Dawson was also interviewed, and on page 27 he testifies that he did not actually conduct witness testimony. McKennon simply took Francis Dawson’s money and made the applications.

Two pages later, C.G. Braught, Cherokee citizen and a neighbor of Francis Dawson for over a decade, testified that Dawson told him that he made arrangements with the court to get each family member on the rolls for $100 apiece. “He said it cost him $700 to get in,” the testimony reads, “he said he paid one witness $300.”

Despite what Cherokee genealogist Twila Barnes described as the tribe’s “incredibly strong” case against the Dawsons, the Dawes Commission ruled that since the Dawsons appeared on the 1896 roll, they were to remain citizens. “It is believed that it is doubtful whether the Nation can now challenge the right of any one to enrollment whose name appears thereon,” the commission stated.

Barnes explained that at the time, the Cherokee Nation was its own country, and its lands were communal. When rumors of the government splitting it up through allotment spread through Indian Country, some, like the Dawsons, saw an opportunity for free land. If you take into account “the land that they got by fraud from us,” Barnes said, “there would be a lot of land left. It was taking assets of the Cherokee Nation and the Cherokee people.”

My dad, before he passed, used to talk a little about things like this happening. He was born too late to have witnessed anything personally, but he had an uncle who did not have a CDIB but was a tribal member. I think it was Creek (aka Muscogee) though, not Cherokee. Anyway, apparently the uncle complained often to my dad about more white guys ending up with official paperwork than real Indians. There was some period in there later on where membership changed or the documentation requirements changed or something and I don't know how that ended up with him (the uncle). But suffice it to say, before that a lot of stuff happened in the early days of Oklahoma territory, statehood, and the oil bidness.

Okay, that was quite a derail from Bill Barr, House of Dildo, so please excuse the diversion.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:53 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Also Barr news: after appearing at the Coney-Barrett event, Barr headed to Oklahoma to meet with tribal leaders, something I mentioned above. He was meeting to discuss matters pertaining to the McGirt SCOTUS decision from earlier this summer.

He flies back to DC to self-quarantine, and this week  the tribes literally receive the worst 'backsies' in a good long while. No, not the spread of the virus. This:

Excerpted from article, TYT.

This is jaw dropping.  EPA is going to have to be completely purged in a Biden admin.  And Barr needs to meet a gruesome end.

• Like 1