Bill Barr, large dildo.

Hugo Stiglitz

that's a bad day for barr. i thought the democrats did a pretty decent job of highlighting his hypocrisy on multiple fronts. he was rattled there at the end. for some reason, cnn cut away to a biden campaign speech. i think it would be more important to focus on the corrupt attorney general, but that's just me.

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that's a bad day for barr. i thought the democrats did a pretty decent job of highlighting his hypocrisy on multiple fronts. he was rattled there at the end. for some reason, cnn cut away to a biden campaign speech. i think it would be more important to focus on the corrupt attorney general, but that's just me.

Barr had to take a shit, so they're in recess right now even though there's only like two members left.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Barr had to take a shit, so they're in recess right now even though there's only like two members left.

yeah, i came back into the home office and am streaming c-span. he's turning into an even bigger asshole than normal.

Just now, Captainant said:

He's having a tantrum now. Granted, they've been badgering the shit out of him but he's acting flippant at this point

well, it's because they've run out of republican protection on the committee. he's had to endure something like 6-7 consecutive attacks from democratic representatives. 

31 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Democrats had some highlights but overall, considering the material they have to work with, I still think this god damned traitor got off easy. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In the "laugh so I don't cry" category, it's lovely when the US AG defends not addressing armed right wing protests in Michigan but conveniently finds it OK to Federal LEO to Portland and other cities.

yeah, it was a bad day for him. not only that, but releasing manafort, even though he didn't meet the doj's own requirements for pandemic release, and not moving at all on any other at-risk federal prisoners. he's a corrupt motherfucker. 

ah well, nevertheless

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Democrats had some highlights but overall, considering the material they have to work with, I still think this god damned traitor got off easy. 

honestly, i think testimony should not be limited to two minute snippets. i understand they need a procedure, but they should be able to string together a coherent narrative over the course of, say, 10 minutes each or whatever. it's important enough. i hate the procedure, and have for years.

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, it was a bad day for him. not only that, but releasing manafort, even though he didn't meet the doj's own requirements for pandemic release, and not moving at all on any other at-risk federal prisoners. he's a corrupt motherfucker. 

ah well, nevertheless

His politicization of the DOJ and the AG position may never be undone 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

In listening to the republicans in this hearing, who am I supposed to be afraid of the most right now?  Democrats running liberal cities?  Antifa?  MS-13?  I am really confused as apparently all of the above are coming to kill me.  How can I go about my day posting on Surly with all of this danger lurking outside my door?

You're fucking missing the point Beantown.

You see... 

The MS-13 and Antifa with Democrats in cities.

They're, they are, they are doing things to people. The constitution, I mean, have you ever read it?!

You've got the squad and AOC and these democrat governors trying to make COVID worse. Killing the economy. That's why we still don't have a cure.

They took the hydroxy and just said no. They said no because it worked too good. Remember? It worked and now we don't have it.

And now the democrat cities are full of crime. Antifa killing cops. Did you hear about that? Cops are dying and we don't cover it.

We once had a country. But Obama Biden ruined it. 

Without Trump we'd have Venezuela China here. A Chinese Communist Venezuela country full of MS-13.

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

In the long run civilization always moves left/progressive.  That's how it's been for centuries and it will remain as such.  So all this shit they're turning upside down will only fuck them in the long run.  This is but a blip.  It will be more painful for conservatives in the end.  Luckily for Barr and Trump, they'll be dead and gone when the real fruits of their bullshit come to bear...

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So many reforms need to be implemented. We need an amendment divorcing the DOJ from the Executive Branch to make it a completely independent entity. 

We need to eliminate the presidency.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I guess it depends on the assumption of what is in the report.  I actually think this is the same trap Comey found himself in regarding reopening the case given Weiner's laptop.  If Comey didn't announce, and Clinton had won, right wingers would've screamed bloody murder about a cover up to help Clinton.  I think Comey's logic was he had to announce a reopening because he was so sure she'd win. 

In this case, depending on the info in the report, either side that ends up losing could scream about the act of releasing/not releasing the report which could impact the election.  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

hoo wee, Nadler is leading a circus at this point

After watching Adam Schiff run the Intelligence Committee during the impeachment inquiry, Nadler was awful at the helm of Judiciary. Calling it a goat rodeo was an insult to the goat rodeo.

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I guess it depends on the assumption of what is in the report.  I actually think this is the same trap Comey found himself in regarding reopening the case given Weiner's laptop.  If Comey didn't announce, and Clinton had won, right wingers would've screamed bloody murder about a cover up to help Clinton.  I think Comey's logic was he had to announce a reopening because he was so sure she'd win. 

In this case, depending on the info in the report, either side that ends up losing could scream about the act of releasing/not releasing the report which could impact the election.  

You can be sure that Barr will only release things that are favorable to Trump or disfavorable to Biden. 

Dems will do nothing about it.

11 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

You act as if the report’s conclusions weren’t already pre-ordained. You think Barr’s hand picked special investigation into the origins of the Russia scandal aren’t 100% intended to politically aid the president? Because wow. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You act as if the report’s conclusions weren’t already pre-ordained. You think Barr’s hand picked special investigation into the origins of the Russia scandal aren’t 100% intended to politically aid the president? Because wow. 

I think Durham is widely considered to be the straightest of straight shooters so I'm not assuming or expecting anything other than the facts. 

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So many reforms need to be implemented. We need an amendment divorcing the DOJ from the Executive Branch to make it a completely independent entity. 

So a completely separate unelected and unaccountable to the people branch of government with the power to prosecute the executive, legislative, and judicial branches? Does not sound like a good idea

Edited by Sawbonz

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So a completely separate unelected and unaccountable to the people branch of government with the power to prosecute the executive, legislative, and judicial branches? Does not sound like a good idea

They would be elected. Either that or DOJ falls under the judicial branch or something. But the executive able to fire the AG at will makes it a conflict of interest. 

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

After watching Adam Schiff run the Intelligence Committee during the impeachment inquiry, Nadler was awful at the helm of Judiciary. Calling it a goat rodeo was an insult to the goat rodeo.

Nadler is a mushmouth boob.  They need to remove him.

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

They would be elected. Either that or DOJ falls under the judicial branch or something. But the executive able to fire the AG at will makes it a conflict of interest. 

Congress has the power of the purse to check the president when other methods fail.  They are too chickenshit to use it, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they are elected every two years. They have slowly ceded an unacceptable amount of their power to the executive branch and we are now paying for that. I don’t know that adding elected attorneys general would be an improvement on the current situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Congress has the power of the purse to check the president when other methods fail.  They are too chickenshit to use it, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they are elected every two years. They have slowly ceded an unacceptable amount of their power to the executive branch and we are now paying for that. I don’t know that adding elected attorneys general would be an improvement on the current situation.

Well whether it would or wouldn’t be an improvement, we’ll never know since it would mean Congress was actually doing something 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Electing an AG feels like folly. Then it’s subject to a popularity contest. At least some presidents will base their appointment on merits. Otherwise I’m imagining a new round of fuck heads doing commercials of them hunting and saying they’re tough on crime like local elections. Fuck that. The AG should be chosen to work with the president. But I can see an independent auditing body to which they’re responsible. 

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Well whether it would or wouldn’t be an improvement, we’ll never know since it would mean Congress was actually doing something 

If I could be dictator for a day and change the constitution I would put one rep per  100 k population for states territories and DC for the HOR. For senate each state, territory and DC gets 1. Population of 5M gets you a second and 20M gets you a 3rd. HOR elects a prime minister who heads up executive branch. President and VP elected by popular vote but are ceremonial posts

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't thought through the details, but the easiest fix seems to be to put the Department of Justice under the joint control of the executive and the judiciary, subject to the Senate's advice and consent role for appointed positions (though in a perfect world I'd prefer to see the House have that role or at least equal input in it). It already operates this way to some extent (federal courts can appoint US attorneys in certain circumstances), but without sufficient oversight from the judiciary. 

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If I could be dictator for a day and change the constitution I would put one rep per  100 k population for states territories and DC for the HOR. For senate each state, territory and DC gets 1. Population of 5M gets you a second and 20M gets you a 3rd. HOR elects a prime minister who heads up executive branch. President and VP elected by popular vote but are ceremonial posts

This is a good idea. Unfortunately the corrupt republicans will never go for it because it would eventually cut off the country destroying gravy train they so enjoy. 

21 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I like this.  But need to add getting rid of gerrymandering.