Georgetown is a Problem

Camelback80

We're pretty high right now coming off a huge early season road win @Purdue. We'll be in Madison Square Garden on Thursday playing against a Georgetown team that is chock full of talent. Sure they had a bad game recently and that's great to see but Akinjo, McClung, and Yurtsevin are 3 guys who are all in the running for 1st team all-Big East this year. That's a level of talent that could easily bite us in the ass if we don't come to play.

Edited by Camelback80

We have more talent than Georgetown. All of our guards who play are markedly better than McClung, save Febres. Akinjo has zero shot at making the first team in his conference, and probably won't even make honorable mention. But dope attempt to temper expectations, lest your boy Shaka come up short against a crappy Georgetown that's not going to make the tournament. 

• Like 4

Akinjo is listed as pre-season all-Big East 2nd team in Athlon's preseason mag, I'm just reporting what I see. I hope you're right about us having more talent, but I'm just saying it could easily be a tough game and a huge challenge from them.

And if we get past Georgetown, we get... Duke.

Motherfucking Duke. (That is if Duke beats Cal... wait, why the fuck was Cal invited to this tournament, they are worse than low major teams...)

1 hour ago, Camelback80 said:

Akinjo is listed as pre-season all-Big East 2nd team in Athlon's preseason mag, I'm just reporting what I see. I hope you're right about us having more talent, but I'm just saying it could easily be a tough game and a huge challenge from them.

And if we get past Georgetown, we get... Duke.

Motherfucking Duke. (That is if Duke beats Cal... wait, why the fuck was Cal invited to this tournament, they are worse than low major teams...)

Berkeley coming means it's a great academic quartet at least.

Going to both games Thursday/Friday - given the amount of Duke alums here, the tourny championship should feel like a true away game (if we take care of the Hoyas).

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

A lot of people aren't going to like the stuff they're saying about Shaka's offense in that podcast. And dude had their efficiency numbers  wrong from last year.

man those guys drone on for a long time without actually saying much. can you point me to the spot where they start talking about our offense?

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

man those guys drone on for a long time without actually saying much. can you point me to the spot where they start talking about our offense?

Truth

The discussion on our offense starts around the 34:40 mark.  They basically say we're running the Milwaukee Bucks system.  One guy even went so far as to say that among the 4 teams there (Duke, Georgetown, Cal, & us) we run the best stuff.  

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Georgetown doesn't look like a good shooting team, nor do they appear to be a particularly strong rebounding team. If Texas is good, they should run this team off the court.

Georgetown is a really good rebounding team on both ends of the floor (top-25 in Oreb%, top-50 in Dreb%) in no small part due to Yurtseven who grabs a ton of boards. Sims will have his hands full with that guy. Texas will need to hit shots because they're not going to get a lot of second chances.

Hard to believe we could be playing by far and away the clear-cut #1 team in just 48 hours.  I know we'll get blow out but it'll be great for our young players to battle it out with Duke on what is basically their home-away-from-home court in NYC.  This is gonna be a bloodbath weekend for UT sports.  Although I think we'll do well in the UT Diving Invitational.  

indeed, ESPN has gotten their shit together re: tonight's point spread. as for the actual game, i hope we're hitting shots early, because if not, i could easily see one of those classic Shaka Smart games where it's 11-8 at the u12 TO and even the traveling fans just want it to end already. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

For most posters yes, but for Camel, claiming Texas Basketball is back! while also claiming a team that’s ranked 70th in the nation will be a huge problem for Texas is pretty much right on brand.

If you can't figure out how to take both "heads" and "tails" during a coin flip, you need to take notes on Texas basketball threads, it's really as simple as that.

yeah that was posted in another thread, and you're taking a lot of liberties using the word "good" to describe it. better words to describe it would be long, or monotonous, or interminable. those guys have mastered the art of talking without saying anything. and frankly, who in their right mind wants to listen to an hour and half long preview of Texas vs Georgetown? 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

those guys have mastered the art of talking without saying anything. 

The aforementioned discussion of Texas' offense is a good case in point. Somewhere around the 40 minute mark they start discussing the "NBA style" "progressive" offense Shaka runs... and somewhere around the 43 minute mark, you realize they are saying that Texas' players are all just standing still.

You can still use terms like "cut" and "finish" if you want, but the bottom line is, you can describe why Texas' offensive production is low with two simple phrases that don't take three minutes to utter:  They're sloppy with the ball, and they just stand there.