Worst Coached Team in College Football

Neonmoon

What did Patterson allegedly say two weeks ago? Something like they were the worst coached team he’d ever faced?

Don’t be an idiot, no coach would ever say that about another coach much less in the same conference. I guess you believe that hitler came to earth in a UFO because it was in the National Enquirer

955f31d2c3be4f70abdfd06bbdd88e76.jpg
  • Like 1

Watching the OU- Baylor game reminded me what good coaches and a well-coached team can do. OU got their shit pushed in during the first half. Then they did this incredible thing that the Texas coaches seem incapable of doing: they adjusted to what was happening on the field! Pitched a shutout in the second half by adjusting on defense. Scored 34 points by adjusting to what the defense was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oh no, sorry. I was referencing you excusing our massive deficiencies on injuries instead coaching. You still singing that tune?

All I’ve ever said along those lines is that with all the DB injuries this defense won’t be as good and I stand by that. We have no pass rush which also makes it impossible for DBs to cover well the whole time.

If want to say Herman has made some boneheaded decisions then I agree with that

Someone with a high level understanding of college football needs to be brought in to oversee Texas football and to advise CDC on how to best chart the future direction of UT football.

I am not in favor of firing Tom Herman at this point, but it is clear he can no longer be allowed to have complete control of the program. He simply is failing in too many aspects related to the game day performance of the team. 

Tom Herman doesn’t seem to be handling some of the basics well. Effectively, his leadership of the program needs to be put into receivership. He needs to be put on notice of how he is failing, and given the help he needs to correct his weaknesses. 

It doesn’t appear he has mastered the problem of having the team ready to play during the initial stages of any game. The constant problem with penalties shows the team lacks discipline and that Coach Herman is failing to adequately coach the mental aspects of the game. This is especially troublesome considering Herman’s “Mensa” reputation. The defense isn’t being taught basic fundamentals of tackling. The coaching staff has no ability to self-scout. The offensive play calling needs to be addressed. The offensive line is allowing far too many sacks and isn’t pass blocking effectively. 

The problems are evident. So is the fact that Tom Herman isn’t addressing them effectively. He needs help to see if his weaknesses can be addressed. If not, he has to be let go and we have to move on to new leadership. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

Someone with a high level understanding of college football needs to be brought in to oversee Texas football and to advise CDC on how to best chart the future direction of UT football.

I am not in favor of firing Tom Herman at this point, but it is clear he can no longer be allowed to have complete control of the program. He simply is failing in too many aspects related to the game day performance of the team. 

Tom Herman doesn’t seem to be handling some of the basics well. Effectively, his leadership of the program needs to be put into receivership. He needs to be put on notice of how he is failing, and given the help he needs to correct his weaknesses. 

It doesn’t appear he has mastered the problem of having the team ready to play during the initial stages of any game. The constant problem with penalties shows the team lacks discipline and that Coach Herman is failing to adequately coach the mental aspects of the game. This is especially troublesome considering Herman’s “Mensa” reputation. The defense isn’t being taught basic fundamentals of tackling. The coaching staff has no ability to self-scout. The offensive play calling needs to be addressed. 

The problems are evident. So is the fact that Tom Herman isn’t addressing them effectively. He needs help to see if his weaknesses can be addressed. If not, he has to be let go and we have to move on to new leadership. 

Projects instability. Pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Projects instability. Pass.

CDC isn’t going to fire Coach Herman at this point and Greg Fenves isn’t going to fire CDC for not firing TOM Herman.

At some point, after the emotional tirades, realistic solutions need to be discussed.

Effectively putting the football program into managerial receivership is the best of the many ugly solutions anyone has offered that I am aware of. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

CDC isn’t going to fire Coach Herman at this point and Greg Fenves isn’t going to fire CDC for not firing TOM Herman.

At some point, after the emotional tirades, realistic solutions need to be discussed.

Effectively putting the football program into managerial receivership is the best of the many ugly solutions anyone has offered that I am aware of. 

I only read your first 2 sentences in the original post. Skipped the quoted post above as well.

how did I do?

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'd like your autistic ass to outline where this receivership plan has proven successful in the game of college football.....ever

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'd like your autistic ass to outline where this receivership plan has proven successful in the game of college football.....ever

I’m too busy laughing at the people who senselessly scream for CDC to fire Tom Herman six months after giving him a raise and extension. People who don’t understand how these things work endlessly amuse me. 

I also find it hilarious that because you don’t know how an idea has ever succeeded in the past you think your ignorance should preclude the idea from being considered by brighter minds. You remind me of a certain college football coach who, on a critical drive late in the game when the team has 52 rushing yards on 26 attempts, runs the ball repeatedly for a whopping one yard gain. How’s that working for you, sport?

Your not being able to comprehend that solutions exist beyond what you individually remember having worked before is cute. And by “cute” I really mean “fucking stupid and predictably small minded.”

If you want an easy bet, take the odds I will still be mocking the crowd bleating the “fire Tom Herman” drivel well into next season. It isn’t happening at least until well after the end of next season.

But if temper tantrums are the way you roll and actual, viable solutions escape you because they don’t entail instances of following in footsteps of others that you can identify, put on your burnt orange onesie and cry, cry, cry. The thinking of sheeple like you isn’t going to solve the well entrenched problems of UT football.

Oh, and have a nice day. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I’m too busy laughing at the people who senselessly scream for CDC to fire Tom Herman six months after giving him a raise and extension. People who don’t understand how these things work endlessly amuse me. 

I also find it hilarious that because you don’t know how an idea has ever succeeded in the past precludes the idea from being considered. You remind me of a certain college football coach who, on a critical drive late in the game when the team has 52 rushing yards on 26 attempts runs the ball repeatedly for a whopping one yard gain. 

Your not being able to comprehend that solutions exist beyond what one can individually remember having worked before is cute. 

If you want an easy bet, take the odds I will still be mocking the “fire Tom Herman” drivel well into next season. It isn’t happening. 

But is temper tantrums are the way you roll and actual, viable solutions escape you because they don’t entail filling into footsteps you can identify, put on your burnt orange onesie and cry, cry, cry. 

Oh, and have a nice day. 

I'm sure a puppet head coach with a master receiver "coach" pulling the strings will work....what an idea.  Or maybe, just maybe you hire the guy who is talented enough to make that fucking retarded clusterfuck of a leadership scenario you are proposing actually work to ya know..........be the head coach. 

And fuck you Tom Herman for making me argue with this spastic fucking tool.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Don’t be an idiot, no coach would ever say that about another coach much less in the same conference. I guess you believe that hitler came to earth in a UFO because it was in the National Enquirer

955f31d2c3be4f70abdfd06bbdd88e76.jpg

Well, I like that story and it fits my narrative.  So I will continue to believe it.  Don’t start throwing shit like “facts” at me to change my mind. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, I like that story and it fits my narrative.  So I will continue to believe it.  Don’t start throwing shit like “facts” at me to change my mind. 

I went and read it again and still think it's what Patterson is thinking because it's what I am thinking.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/patterson-quote-137581707/

Here's a fun thought experiment: which Big 12 programs would agree if CDC called them up tomorrow and offered to trade coaching staffs on the spot?

OU, Baylor, TCU, and Iowa State laugh in his face. Okie State is a solid no as well. Kansas State is probably happy to see how it plays out with Klieman. Ditto for KU and Les. Tech and WVU probably take the deal. So 2 out of 9 by my count. Hurray.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I wonder what it is after about game 3 once every team realized we only run one play on 4th and short...Sam to the right.

• La Tech 1-2
  • LSU 1-3
  • Rice 1-1
  • Okla St 0-1
  • WVU 0-0
  • OU 0-0
  • Kansas 1-3
  • TCU 1-2
  • KSU 1-1
  • ISU 1-2
  • TOTAL: 7-15

On 11/17/2019 at 12:35 AM, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

What I think this defense is missing is later delayed, more disguised, more elaborate, safety blitzes that take a guy out of coverage but get a guy on the qb once every 25 times we try it, rather than the 1 in 15 blitzes we are running now

We're missing a D lineman who can beat his blocker.  All you need is one and it makes everyone better.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, AnTiM said:

I have never seen players at this stage of the season look like they have no clue what to do.  Looking at TCU, Baylor, and KSU, it simply has to be coaching.  I have no clue who would be better, but at this point it can't get much worse.

Where were you when Charlie Strong was coach?  We've been there, done that, already.

Edited by bullet

On 11/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, Godzillatron said:

Watching the OU- Baylor game reminded me what good coaches and a well-coached team can do. OU got their shit pushed in during the first half. Then they did this incredible thing that the Texas coaches seem incapable of doing: they adjusted to what was happening on the field! Pitched a shutout in the second half by adjusting on defense. Scored 34 points by adjusting to what the defense was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually Texas did adjust.   Did you see the offense the first 29:15 of the game?

Actually it looked more unfocused that unprepared.  Sam was off.  Receivers constantly dropping passes.  D line got whipped.  O line couldn't move people for RBs.  They should have been very motivated.  Now they are out of the ccg.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, Lobo said:

I was looking at our scintillating home football schedule next season.  Sure there's Baylor and maybe we can pretend to give a shit about revenge games against "Others Receiving Votes" teams like ISU & TCU.  But it's a dogshit schedule, we have 6-6 written all over us (at best), Charlie Strong will probably give us a run for our money in the first week, and Herman is on his last leg this time next year.  

Not exactly what you want when trying to close the checkbook on a new, fancy SEZ.  We're headed the wrong way...AGAIN

At this point 10-4 is the worst case scenario.   I think 6-6 is the best we can hope for next year, that will be his Waterloo.   

Well, we go 2-1 in non-conf. play.  

I think we lose @ Kansas State, v. Oklahoma, Baylor, and @ Oklahoma State.  That's 7-5 at best.  That assumes we sweep at home: WVU, TCU, ISU.  QUite possible yes ,but not a given.

We take @ KAN.  @ TTU is a toss-up.   I dunno, some of those teams obviously will drop off next season, but show me where you feel much more confident than 7-5.  

11 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

Uh, wut?

6-6 is good, 10-4 is bad.  I was never a fan of the hire because it felt like a carbon copy of the last coach.  Good coordinator, won MNC with Urban, used that to get G5 HC job, had good success with a really good QB for a couple years, parlayed that to HC at UT, brought nearly entire staff including several deadbeats.  

I am now fully on board the fuck this guy, he can't leave soon enough train and 6-6 should do the trick.  10-4 is about as bad as it gets because as long as he can get to 10 wins he most likely keeps his job, and I don't think he's a good enough HC to ever be a great coach. 

Primary job of a HC is hiring good/great assistants.  Keep hiring them when yours get poached and upgrading underperformers.  He fucking sucks at the most important part of his job, and he's an asshole.