18 one possession losses in the last 5 years

hookem48

That every game is a shit fight no matter the opponent was an aspect of the program that was weighing on me in the off season. 

Maybe kick more field goals and go for the first down less.

Maybe devote the offense to scoring above the goals of being a physical running team and running out the clock with 14 minutes to go.

Maybe stop being blinded by science.

I used to joke that Fred Akers would score ten points in the first quarter and then start running out the clock. Those defenses were so good, he could actually win a lot of games like that. So it seems to be with Herman in the second half. It surely frustrates his offensive players and makes games closer than they need be.

I'm not for firing him yet, but he must learn and adapt to stay.

• Like 4

On 11/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, hookem48 said:

maybe we should try to win by 30 instead of 1

It's the Jason Garrett approach. Keep the game close and just try and win at the end. And it gives you zero room for error and every single mistake is magnified. Instead of coming out early and establishing a tone and getting a good lead early. It's maddening. Cowboys and Longhorns have so many similarities right now to the coaching staff and the way they approach and play the games.

got bored, just did a quick spreadsheet- its possible I may have mistyped a number or 2 so this could be a little off

but since Tom has been HC here,  in the 37 games we have played Texas has been outscored 357-295 in the 4th qtr(& OT)

in 20 of the games over the last 3 years, we have been outscored in the 4th quarter

in 5 games we scored the same number of points as the other team in the 4th quarter.

meaning in 25 of 37 games we got outscored or broke even.

There are only 2 games in the 3 years where Texas has outscored the other team by 14 or more in the 4th.  Both were his first season-  San Jose St and Baylor

There are 6 games where we have been outscored by 10 or more points in the 4th quarter.

We have given up 17 or more points in the 4th quarter 5 times.  

The writing is on the wall, Tom is a terrible 4th quarter coach.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, TexArcher said:

Jesus.  That would be too many for our basketball team who plays three times as many games.

This actually triggered an unexpected flashback for me. My junior year in high school, our varsity basketball coach was fired ahead of the season for fucking one of the girls in my grade and we inherited the JV coach unexpectedly. Easily the worst manager at any level in anything that I have ever been around. We went 7-22 on the season and were ahead or tied in 18 of the losses with 3 minutes or less left in the game, and lost all of them by less than 6 points. 

This seals it on a personal level for me. Herman doesn't have the brains or the balls to be worth a fuck at this level. Last year was fool's gold and he's never going to get it done here without a sea-change in courage for him. Unless someone knows a witch from Aliquippa that can cast a spell on this motherfucker that gives him some intestinal fortitude, he won't change enough to do anything of lasting value here. Fucking fuck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unless someone knows a witch from Aliquippa that can cast a spell on this motherfucker that gives him some intestinal fortitude, he won't change enough to do anything of lasting value here. Fucking fuck.

Some interesting Yellow Pages results.

Are you needing ice cream? Or plumbing services? Or both? (No judgment -- lactose intolerance is nothing to laugh at.)

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Some interesting Yellow Pages results.

Are you needing ice cream? Or plumbing services? Or both? (No judgment -- lactose intolerance is nothing to laugh at.)

If you've never read or seen Charlie Wilson's War, I highly recommend remedying both of those voids post-haste, sir.

• Like 1

i dunno what is going on but... we haven't had a 3 loss season (or less) in this decade.

2010 - 7 losses

2011 - 5 losses

2012 - 4 losses

2013 - 5 losses

2014 - 7 losses

2015 - 7 losses

2016 - 7 losses

2017 - 6 losses

2018 - 4 losses

2019 - 4 losses (so far)

Edited by yoladu

got bored, just did a quick spreadsheet- its possible I may have mistyped a number or 2 so this could be a little off

but since Tom has been HC here,  in the 37 games we have played Texas has been outscored 357-295 in the 4th qtr(& OT)
in 20 of the games over the last 3 years, we have been outscored in the 4th quarter
in 5 games we scored the same number of points as the other team in the 4th quarter.

There are only 2 games in the 3 years where Texas has outscored the other team by 14 or more in the 4th.  Both were his first season-  San Jose St and Baylor
There are 6 games where we have been outscored by 10 or more points in the 4th quarter.

He's trying to be Jim Tressel... But without kicking the FGs.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

That every game is a shit fight no matter the opponent was an aspect of the program that was weighing on me in the off season. 

Maybe kick more field goals and go for the first down less.

Maybe devote the offense to scoring above the goals of being a physical running team and running out the clock with 14 minutes to go.

Maybe stop being blinded by science.

I used to joke that Fred Akers would score ten points in the first quarter and then start running out the clock. Those defenses were so good, he could actually win a lot of games like that. So it seems to be with Herman in the second half. It surely frustrates his offensive players and makes games closer than they need be.

I'm not for firing him yet, but he must learn and adapt to stay.

There's a lot of truth there (especially the part I bolded) but I take exception to the part about Akers and 10 points, because 10 is not divisible by 3. Jeff Ward was a badass kicker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Maybe everyone could stop holding 4 fingers in the air at the start of the 4th quarter.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Literally the reason I've quit watching games.

This is how you do it: 

When the team has a lead, you know 34-32 with 5 minutes left, just leave the stadium.  Or turn off the TV.  As far as you know, we won.  Count it.  Bank it.  Don't check scores later.  We got this.

21 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Anyway to calculate this in terms of is playing like shit for most of the game and then making it close at the end?

I believe economists call this "utils."

Edited by Bullneck