CDC's email and office phone #

TexArcher

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Ahh, the aggy troll.

Maybe your athletic department will pay off that decade old loan from your academic side one day. Fuck off, bitch.

Ahh, Herman's side chick.

Maybe you should stop drinking Herman's jizz at every opportunity you get and maybe you'll realize what's happening. 

• Fuck You 3

11 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Fair enough, but now look at the schools listed right under Texas, the amount of money they returned (which as a percentage might be higher for them) and tell me that its because UT values academics more. 

Texas just seems to suck at hiring football coaches.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/As-Sports-Programs-Get-Richer/235026/?key=hdjaFrHBaS4D76nJdnK2oNsTp5IRKKjh6kZTr0FawV93eEpVZDdoMUpyZDlSWnIyTE1IZVNmTV9lY0xWOG1SZ0EtN3g2bl82R1VF

That's the original article. Texas and OSU both give ~6% of their revenue to academic projects. In total, the 10 schools--which are, again the only ten schools that give more to academics than they receive in subsidies--gave on average ~4% of their revenue to academics. But that doesn't account for the $45M that Bama, UF, UM, and UK received in subsidies. 

So basically, out of 205 D1 athletic programs, Texas is #1 in terms of the amount we give back to the school and Top 2 in % given back (for the 2011-2014 period). 

This entire argument about prioritizing athletics or academics is pretty stupid because the two aren't mutually exclusive (just look at Ohio State), but I'm glad that we operate this way.

I dont think anyone is arguing the fact that we routinely shit the bed when hiring football coaches. I'm merely stating that we dont treat athletics as the equal of academics, even if we have more money to throw around than most schools.

It's also why Urban Meyer wont be leading us out of the tunnel next year. His track record indicates high success but also a lot of shady shit. Texas won't accept the latter to ensure the former. We have 30 years of evidence to back that up. 

Again, I think its factionalism among the AD, BMDs, and Administration that makes us shit the bed with coach hires.

Some of them are win-at-any-cost, others are keep-it-clean-we're-Texas.

Even the Strong hire, which I think minimized BMD involvement, shows factionalism, but rather than among BMDs, was AD/Admin vs. BMD.  It wouldn't surprise me if Powers, being a lawdog, decided that hiring a black coach really was important and possibly a legacy-making move and that tipped the balance among the Korn-Ferry candidates.

I'm not sure that somehow making a core decision that athletics is more important than academics resolves that problem.  Who makes that decision and how is it implemented?  Maybe it's simply dismissing the opinion of any entity that's not win-at-all-costs.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Anyone send a email after Saturday and want to post the CDC response this week? I need something to give me hope CDC is gonna fucking fire this clown and not force us to sit through next season the same bullshit.

He isn't going to fire Herman after this season, so nothing is going to give you that hope. I do think he'll be fired if next year is a repeat of this, though.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

He isn't going to fire Herman after this season, so nothing is going to give you that hope. I do think he'll be fired if next year is a repeat of this, though.

Which it will be. He's 11-10 or something in 1 score games? that's way beyond a sample size to show everyone the type of coach at Texas he will be and rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic won't change anything. Except waste a year.

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

If Tech wins, all bets are off. The heat would turn up way too much for CDC not to take a hard look at replacing him if they have a true home run hire 

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

If Tech wins, all bets are off. The heat would turn up way too much for CDC not to take a hard look at replacing him if they have a true home run hire 

I’m thinking the heat is there.  Maybe not, but it sure seems like it.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Powers, being a lawdog, decided that hiring a black coach really was important and possibly a legacy-making move and that tipped the balance among the Korn-Ferry candidates.

I'm not sure that somehow making a core decision that athletics is more important than academics resolves that problem.  Who makes that decision and how is it implemented?  Maybe it's simply dismissing the opinion of any entity that's not win-at-all-costs.

Have a friend that was at a social event with Powers and during a group informal conversation the Strong hire was discussed.    This was shortly after the hire and Powers was effusive in praise of Strong "one of the nicest persons I have ever met."    Since, others have mentioned the legacy-making move.

Also,  some think the goal is to emulate Stanford in the relationship between academics and athletics.  

Regardless,  RIP Bill.     

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, torre said:

Have a friend that was at a social event with Powers and during a group informal conversation the Strong hire was discussed.    This was shortly after the hire and Powers was effusive in praise of Strong "one of the nicest persons I have ever met."    Since, others have mentioned the legacy-making move.

Also,  some think the goal is to emulate Stanford in the relationship between academics and athletics.  

Regardless,  RIP Bill.     

Not trying to make a political or racial thing out of it, but I think race was a factor to a degree and I can really see Powers seizing on that (he would have been keenly aware of UT's poor racial history, in football, at the law school, and generally).  And he was probably more involved than most Presidents in the hire.

Excerpt from AAS:

Del Conte firmly remains in Herman’s corner, and it’s hard to blame him since he was the one who mistakenly extended the coach’s contract by two years after last season’s Sugar Bowl victory. 

Del Conte craves continuity and said Monday from his hospital bed after surgery for a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff, “We’ve got to create some stability, and we are. We’ve got work to do, and that’s what we’re doing. You have to trust the plan. We have to work our way out of this. Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.”

His may not be a blind leap of faith because Herman did go 10-4 in his second year, whip Georgia up and down the Superdome and split two games with Big 12 owner Oklahoma. The second season offered tremendous hope for 2019, but instead we’ve gotten a pedestrian offense, a wildly erratic and too often poor defense, and no momentum at all the second half of the season.

The fans are angry, and Del Conte should want them angry so long as they aren’t detached. This isn’t Herman’s first rodeo, but it’s his first major trouble after going 22-4 at Houston and now winning all three of his bowl games there and at Texas. He has to prove he can overcome this, but he’s never gone through anything quite like this, has he?

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-tom-herman-chris-del-conte-firm-head-coachs-ability-fix-texas/

5 minutes ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

Del Conte firmly remains in Herman’s corner, and it’s hard to blame him since he was the one who mistakenly extended the coach’s contract by two years after last season’s Sugar Bowl victory. 

Del Conte craves continuity and said Monday from his hospital bed after surgery for a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff, “We’ve got to create some stability, and we are. We’ve got work to do, and that’s what we’re doing. You have to trust the plan. We have to work our way out of this. Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.”

His may not be a blind leap of faith because Herman did go 10-4 in his second year, whip Georgia up and down the Superdome and split two games with Big 12 owner Oklahoma. The second season offered tremendous hope for 2019, but instead we’ve gotten a pedestrian offense, a wildly erratic and too often poor defense, and no momentum at all the second half of the season.

The fans are angry, and Del Conte should want them angry so long as they aren’t detached. This isn’t Herman’s first rodeo, but it’s his first major trouble after going 22-4 at Houston and now winning all three of his bowl games there and at Texas. He has to prove he can overcome this, but he’s never gone through anything quite like this, has he?

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-tom-herman-chris-del-conte-firm-head-coachs-ability-fix-texas/

There’s no amount of work Herman is capable of that will win us a BigXII title next season. That should really be everything. If you can’t win the conference in years 3-4 you need to gtfo for the next guy. I mean, thanks for Bevo Blvd, but a commitment to a winning culture means firing frauds who lost the locker room 

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Like 1

I feel like I know what this is setting up for, and it's going to do me in as a fan for a few years. After ten years of this shit, I just can't care enough to invest time anymore if we make the decisions I think we'll make.

Herman will shuffle the chairs. We'll lose some recruits and current players in the process. Next year won't be worse than this year, but it will be the same or marginally better. The excuse will be that we just replaced all of the assistants and had some attrition and we need more time to adjust. So we'll give one more year, because sugar bowl. The next year we won't have Sam and we'll really crater. Recruiting will have fallen off a cliff as recruits see they're talking to a dead coach walking.

At this point we'll finally pull the plug, with the team and recruiting in shambles, because we opted for "stability."

I say all of this 100% not trying to be overdramatic, but because it's what I'm genuinely concerned will happen. It's pretty damn close to what we did with Mack. Feels like we're ready to start our ten year journey all over again and we've learned nothing from the first time around. Mack deserved to go the year after bama just like Tom deserves to go a year after Georgia. But we won't, because stability and stuff.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

A patient is most stable when they are dead.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I say all of this 100% not trying to be overdramatic, but because it's what I'm genuinely concerned will happen. It's pretty damn close to what we did with Mack. Feels like we're ready to start our ten year journey all over again and we've learned nothing from the first time around. Mack deserved to go the year after bama just like Tom deserves to go a year after Georgia. But we won't, because stability and stuff.

This !

18 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I feel like I know what this is setting up for, and it's going to do me in as a fan for a few years. After ten years of this shit, I just can't care enough to invest time anymore if we make the decisions I think we'll make.

Herman will shuffle the chairs. We'll lose some recruits and current players in the process. Next year won't be worse than this year, but it will be the same or marginally better. The excuse will be that we just replaced all of the assistants and had some attrition and we need more time to adjust. So we'll give one more year, because sugar bowl. The next year we won't have Sam and we'll really crater. Recruiting will have fallen off a cliff as recruits see they're talking to a dead coach walking.

At this point we'll finally pull the plug, with the team and recruiting in shambles, because we opted for "stability."

Yep, and too  bad del conte didn't just say "fuckface has my full and complete support, along with that of the university".  Because that's what ADs say right before they drop the axe.  

Regarding stability, I agree in principle with what CDC is saying. We can't keep turning over head coaches every 3 years or we're going to be Tennessee. Funny enough, we're only 8 games better than them this decade. With that said, Herman set up this terrible model by hiring a terrible staff 3 years ago. Do we trust him to make the right decision on a brand new staff and how long do he and the new staff get to right the ship that's pointed in the wrong direction by Herman's own making? We're likely going to waste Sam's senior season regardless. Herman and CDC are going to need 2 straight wins to get any sort of positive feeling from the fans going into next season. 

• Like 1

The curious thing is this.  It would appear that to the extent the coaches have lost the team, it's because the team/players have no faith that they are being taught winning football.  It would appear that current players might welcome the change in staff.

Recruits are probably a different story.

Looks like from that AAS story that CDC is owning the extension.  But I don't guess he would come out and say that he gave it against advice even if that were true.

I always laughed when TH spoke about alignment when he was hired. Such a bullshit line. I had a feeling what would transpired with his staff.

Saban doesn’t give two shits about alignment. Alignment for him is winning. Alignment for TH is everyone thinking the same thing and patting each other on the back saying “their plan is great and the work they’re doing is valued”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Extending Herman after last season was an astoundingly stupid decision.  Herman wouldn't have abandoned Texas if we made the playoff in 2019.  The extension may have cost more but CDC would have significantly more evidence to evaluate whether he is the long-term solution.  Now we are locked down for at least another season with a guy who clearly doesn't appear to be the answer unless he pulls a Joe Brady AND Brent Venables out of his ass this offseason together with 4-5 other elite assistants whose judgment would need to be questioned for joining a sinking ship.

5 hours ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

nice reporting.  this is ABSOLUTELY herman's first rodeo and that is EXACTLY the problem.

Few seem to have hit upon the obvious, great academics and great athletics are not mutually exclusive. We have had both, some universities have one or the other, some have neither. Academics seems to take longer to build and decline (A&M and Rick Perry do show that decline can be achieved quickly in academics).

Athletics can wax or wain on a much more rapid basis. Support is even more fickle, last year we were a 10 win team with a major bowl win. I don't recall that much was said at that point about the Tom Herman extension. 

Another thing that seems fairly obvious, there are some posting bravely here about their emails to our AD. If you're an adult, and you want to vent your spleen on the situation give him a call, he'll talk to you. He has always accepted my call or called me back within minutes. Being a keyboard warrior shows itself and is given the weight it deserves. Call him at  (512) 471-5757

My impression is that he will listen even if you are not in the upper tiers of the Longhorn Foundation or a season ticket holder.

3 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

If you're an adult, and you want to vent your spleen on the situation give him a call, he'll talk to you. He has always accepted my call or called me back within minutes. Being a keyboard warrior shows itself and is given the weight it deserves. Call him at  (512) 471-5757

do you have any idea how many of the posters here have severe hairlips?

it's most of them

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Regarding stability, I agree in principle with what CDC is saying. We can't keep turning over head coaches every 3 years or we're going to be Tennessee. Funny enough, we're only 8 games better than them this decade. With that said, Herman set up this terrible model by hiring a terrible staff 3 years ago. Do we trust him to make the right decision on a brand new staff and how long do he and the new staff get to right the ship that's pointed in the wrong direction by Herman's own making? We're likely going to waste Sam's senior season regardless. Herman and CDC are going to need 2 straight wins to get any sort of positive feeling from the fans going into next season. 

His particular coaching fraternity is extremely small, he basically said so himself.  When asked about coaching mentors he can talk to, he mentioned Mack who had an office down the hall, Fedora who is on staff, GDGD lolwtf, and his wife.  The circle is extremely small, his words.  

The best bridge he had is burned, Meyer could probably offer up some damn good advice from the outside looking in and no distractions like his own team to coach. And he might just be a good resource or for an introduction to potential assistants. 

I believe job #1 is hiring/replacing/firing good coaches, and he fucking sucks at that.   Being good at Xs and 0's does not translate into being good at hiring first among a metric ton of other duties as HC of a big program.  He doesn't have enough friends and contacts in the coaching world and he sucks at hiring/firing so I personally do not trust him.  

• Like 1

you don't hire flunky G5 yes men when you get your P5 dream job.  you go get the best, potentially make yourself uncomfortable, and get them  on board the vision.  none of these douchebags had any success at the P5 level.

He fucked it up, mainly because he wasn't ready, and now only has Mack fucking Brown to call about who to hire.  yeah..he's done.

14 hours ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

I saw a reference to this on Twitter and came here to see if it was true.

"Darrell Royal ain't walking through that door."

I'm guessing (actually hoping) he was pretty doped up when he basically said, "Look, we all know Tom Herman isn't Darrell Royal's bootlace, but we're stuck with him so we gotta ride it out."

Holy. Fuck.

9 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That was the biggest red flag in that article. A total copout, and if DKR isn't the standard we can or should aspire to, then I'm out. 

yep.  this quote pisses me off even more now that I think about it.  that's something losers say.   one of his 2 main functions is find a DKR to run the football team and raise money.  He aint working on fixing shit until I see some crappy ass G5 coaches hittin the back door of Bellmont with some cardoard boxes.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, alincoln said:

Extending Herman after last season was an astoundingly stupid decision. 

I'm not going to spend 8 minutes searching the board, but I do not recall hearing or reading any negative comments about it at the time.  I think most of us probably felt it was at best oddly timed and at worst unnecessary.  That's my recollection of how I felt about it.  But at the time I was convinced we were on an upward trajectory.  On another thread somebody made the point that the warning signs of Herman's core issues have stubbornly been there since game 1 of 2017 and have never really gone away.  Me, bad fan.

Edited by ClubWhatever

• 3 weeks later...