Tom Herman Thread from TOS

MaybeACoordinator

Just now, longhornmatt said:

We all know why you’re doing this.  And as bad as Herman is, he’s still better than Charlie.  

I anxiously await the day when we actually have a good coach again and can talk about that instead of arguing about which of our shitty coaches was less shitty.

Nah, it has nothing to do with Charlie. It has to do with combating the groupthink that led this fanbase into locking in on Herman way, way before it was wise to do so. 

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Again, this is not about Charlie. After Kansas, he had to go. 

It’s always about Charlie with you. Your username is literally a reference to McCombs “disrespectful and racist” statement that was right on the money. Just shut the fuck up, no one cares what you have to say about Herman or Strong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Girdwood said:

It’s always about Charlie with you. Your username is literally a reference to McCombs “disrespectful and racist” statement that was right on the money. Just shut the fuck up, no one cares what you have to say about Herman or Strong.

And you are an Aggie troll who just pours gas on fires and adds nothing constructive to anything on here. 

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

And you are an Aggie troll who just pours gas on fires and adds nothing constructive to anything on here. 

Not an aggy. Or a troll. Drunk? Absolutely. Make lots of stupid regrettable posts? All the time. 

This isn’t one of those times. You were 100% wrong about Strong. He’s a semi-functional human being with a room temperature IQ. 

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Nah, it has nothing to do with Charlie. It has to do with combating the groupthink that led this fanbase into locking in on Herman way, way before it was wise to do so. 

the fanbase doesn't "lock in" on anyone.  the BMD's and the AD do.  what are you "combatting"?

Sorry, but I believe the BMDs do pay some attention to fan sentiment. They are fan sentiment, to some extent, a greater one than all but the one percent of even the Surly one percent. 

One last time, this is not about Charlie Strong. This is about how the BMDs and so much of the fanbase fixated on Herman early on, ignored a shit-ton of warning signs, hired him anyway, and then extended him after two big wins. Even after more warning signs here -- bad losses, mocking the Mizzu QB, crap hires, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BSchoolProf View Post
I am not a Strong fan and am intrigued by Herman, but he is unproven. He would be a risky hire and a roll of the dice - sometimes you get Darrel Royal, sometimes you get Charlie Strong.

On the 1st page.  This aged well, unlike most of my posts.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You mean the same groupthink that led the vast majority of us into locking in on Charlie way, way before it was wise to do so?

Oh right, that doesn't fit your narrative so you conveniently choose to to ignore that little tidbit in your incessant trolling.

Honestly, I don't remember that because I was on hiatus from these boards. 

The narrative I had laid out explicitly is the only narrative I have. Had I been on these boards at the time in question, I am sure I would not have seen posters stuck on Charlie Strong and only Charlie Strong as Mack's potential successor a year-and-a-half before that changing of the guard took place. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I wish I hadn’t nuked all my content from there. I love a good nutkick while driving down memory lane. 

Good thing, Lando quoted you. Here's what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by mdmost View Post
Wow with a resume that looks exactly like the guy everyone wants to fire except he's an offensive guy.

Fun facts -- Herman won nine games his last year at UH, only one more than the number of wins that the guy they fired to hire Herman had, and only one more than the number of wins that Applewhite racked up and got fired for.

So our guy is one game-per-year better than The Standard at Cougar High.

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fun facts -- Herman won nine games his last year at UH, only one more than the number of wins that the guy they fired to hire Herman had, and only one more than the number of wins that Applewhite racked up and got fired for.

So our guy is one game-per-year better than The Standard at Cougar High.

Look kid, when you get on the rollercoaster and it pulls back into the station and there’s shit running down your legs and your vomit strewn all over the other passengers, you don’t get another turn on the ride. 

Why don’t you head back down and grab a funnel cake. We’ll come find you when we’re done here.

Not an aggy. Or a troll. Drunk? Absolutely. Make lots of stupid regrettable posts? All the time. 

This isn’t one of those times. You were 100% wrong about Strong. He’s a semi-functional human being with a room temperature IQ. 

not an aggy? so you ARE from uc davis!

Look kid, when you get on the rollercoaster and it pulls back into the station and there’s shit running down your legs and your vomit strewn all over the other passengers, you don’t get another turn on the ride. 
Why don’t you head back down and grab a funnel cake. We’ll come find you when we’re done here.
roller coaster? no. tower of terror.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Honestly, I don't remember that because I was on hiatus from these boards.

You don’t remember the overwhelming fan support and excitement for Charlie when he was first hired, ranging somewhere between elated and cautious optimism from the vast majority of fans?  Because you weren’t on these boards?

/(cough cough) bullshit (cough)

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Meh.

I stuck by Charlie a little too long, but I will stand by this: he left a slightly more talented program behind than the one he came into. And you give Charlie Ehlinger, or Ash, over the dogshit behind Ash Mack left at QB, and his results would be the same or better.

But again, instead of attacking my overlong loyalty to Strong, you might do better to address the point of me bring this up, and that is to remind everyone that we should not fixate on a shiny object too soon and then ignore one warning sign after another and another before handing the reins over to the next guy who whispers to the BMDs the sweet nothings they want to hear. Tom Herman played them, and he played everyone of us who loves Texas football, but it wasn't really his fault.

This was a due diligence failure on the part of Perrin and the BMDs.

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Meh.

I stuck by Charlie a little too long, but I will stand by this: he left a slightly more talented program behind than the one he came into. And you give Charlie Ehlinger, or Ash, over the dogshit behind Ash Mack left at QB, and his results would be the same or better.

Yeah, you’re a fucking idiot.

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You don’t remember the overwhelming fan support and excitement for Charlie when he was first hired, ranging somewhere between elated and cautious optimism from the vast majority of fans?  Because you weren’t on these boards?

/(cough cough) bullshit (cough)

I do remember that support. What I don't remember is people longing for Charlie and only Charlie to replace Mack a season-and-half before it happened.

But yeah, I wasn't on the boards much if at all in 2012. Maybe there was a Fire Mack Brown / Hire Charlie Strong thread after 63-21 in the Cotton Bowl. If so, I wouldn't have been capable of reading it as I was seeing double from stunned rage and too much tequila, so I could be wrong.

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Good thing, Lando quoted you. Here's what you said:

My opinion after he was hired wasn't overly popular at the time, though  I am almost certain I got a +rep from Bschoolprof 

"Great coordinator wins MNC, gets HC job at tier 2 school and has really good success, then packs his staff and brings his entire baggage to UT. Deja vu"