Is Tom actually a worse coach than Charlie?

TexArcher

Is Tom a worse coach than Charlie?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom worse than Charlie?

• Yes
    • No
    • About the same

I voted "About the same."  Sure, we're winning a little more with Tom, but the players are better, too.  And all 6 years worth of teams committed the same dumbass penalties, couldn't figure out where to be on defense, couldn't tackle, had shit special teams, and neither coach could manage a clock and sat on leads and coached not to lose.  The parallels are everywhere.

But at least Charlie was a nice guy.

• Like 3

This is a silly thread.
Herman is better than Charlie. Exactly how good he can really be remains a question. But how bad Charlie really is has been documented beyond any reasonable doubt.     

Saw somebody earlier tonight say the only difference between Herman and Strong is Sam Ehlinger. Sadly, that’s not far from the truth.
  • Like 4

What's so sickening is this season was set up perfect for Texas. B12 down, some really good QB's gone, many new coaches implementing new systems. A perfect chance to win the conference, but because of mind boggling coaching decisions and absolute stupidity on the field Texas won't even be in the B12 championship game. Instead a very over rated Baylor team that at least avoids beating themselves.

• Like 3

We have been undercoached for a long time, going back to 2010. We weren't as bad as Charlie made us look; his teams all should have made at least lower-tier bowl games. I don't think Charlie said "BAKE TEH CAKE" to be spiteful or because he was dumb. I think he legitimately thought his teams would win more than they did. 

We're not as bad as Herman is making us look, either, but for this team to be eliminated from conference contention with two games to go-- it's an underachievement. We aren't playing to potential. Herman is wasting a conference-championship caliber QB, maybe the first we've had since Colt, on maddeningly dumb decision-making.

It's really two flavors of ice cream nobody wants to eat. Baby vomit and cat shit. Which is worse? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

He's not worse. But he's not a whole lot better. And he's an arrogant asshole, kind of like Mackovic.

The arrogance is what makes him worse IMO. Imagine seeing that cocky-ass attitude in the locker room after getting your teeth kicked in by weaker opponents. Hello portal.

I voted for about the same.

I forget which mouth breather got all sorts of butt-hurt earlier this year when I said the win over Georgia is only positive Herman holds over Strong well that and not losing to Kansas but we were dangerously close to pulling that off this year.

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Before the season started I thought we'd go 10-2 and if something really bad happened 9-3.

Now it is looking like 7-5 is the ceiling and 6-6 is very much possible.

I knew the defense was going to suck balls this year and I never bought into our oline being anything but serviceable so 8-4 was a real possibility  to me, never thought 7-5 though.

Friendly reminder that TFH is not CDC's hire and may not be his guy.

Perrin hired him because he was the latest G5 flavor of the month and the BMDs wanted him. But, do they still want him after this shit-show? Has anybody reached out to Urban Meyer's agent? Is there another HC worth making a change for that UT can actually get? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Perrin hired him because he was the latest G5 flavor of the month and the BMDs wanted him. But, do they still want him after this shit-show? Has anybody reached out to Urban Meyer's agent? Is there another HC worth making a change for that UT can actually get? 

"W-were Texas! you can't hire Urban Meyer!"

As if we were choir boys even under DKR. And then we wonder why we can't get back to prominence. Bunch of fuckin dorks. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Herman is easily as rock stupid as Strong. But, he won the Sugar Bowl last year, so now we’ve got to endure at least another two years of his worthless fucking ass doing whatever he can to bury Texas Football. Our best hope is that he overdoses doing lines off of a stripper’s ass in the offseason, because we’re stuck with him for awhile otherwise. 

• Like 1

Charlie's "big" wins:

1) OU - 2015 (their only regular season loss)

2) Notre Dame - 2016 (shitty ND team)

Herm's "big"wins:

1) OU - 2018 (their only regular season loss)

2) Georgia - 2018 (I'm starting to believe the narrative we won because they didn't want to be there)

3) ???  Missouri - 2017?

We don't get blown out as much under Herm, but we're still not very good. So yes, Tom is a better coach, but it's actually fairly close, and on a dementia-adjusted scale, Charlie probably comes out ahead.  

Charlie Strong knew something was wrong, but was frustrated because he couldn't fix it.

Tom Herman appears to legitimately believe nothing is wrong.

Equally incompetent in different ways. Maybe Herman's marginally better but the difference isn't significant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

And because he was sucking up to our houston bmds while employed at cougar high

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We have been undercoached for a long time, going back to 2010. We weren't as bad as Charlie made us look; his teams all should have made at least lower-tier bowl games. I don't think Charlie said "BAKE TEH CAKE" to be spiteful or because he was dumb. I think he legitimately thought his teams would win more than they did. 

We're not as bad as Herman is making us look, either, but for this team to be eliminated from conference contention with two games to go-- it's an underachievement. We aren't playing to potential. Herman is wasting a conference-championship caliber QB, maybe the first we've had since Colt, on maddeningly dumb decision-making.

It's really two flavors of ice cream nobody wants to eat. Baby vomit and cat shit. Which is worse? 

I’m tired of drinking the Kool-Aid...

Sam is a fighter, and the type of guy you want playing for you, but he’s a mediocre QB. He can barely complete a pass over 5 yards. Our run game is shit. It’s embarrassing that we have a backup QB splitting time. Our O-Line is terrible. Our special teams, outside of Dicker, are the worst I’ve ever seen. We are one of the lowest ranked in that category in the nation. Our defense is shit. We can blame it on injuries, but our recruiting rankings suggest that we should have a stud backing up in almost every position.

Maybe, just maybe, we suck beyond our terrible coaching.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Charlie wasn’t forced to do anything. He chose to play that hand like a buffoon. 

After Ash had to retire, Swoopes and Heard were literally all we had left. Mack fucked up the QB room.

Charlie of course didn’t fix it either, until Ehlinger’s layup of a recruitment and by then he was a goner.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

After Ash had to retire, Swoopes and Heard were literally all we had left. Mack fucked up the QB room.

Charlie of course didn’t fix it either, until Ehlinger’s layup of a recruitment and by then he was a goner.

You’re missing the point, he knew the situation as soon as he arrived that winter. He didn’t attempt to do a thing about it. Or the following winter, or the one after that.

• Like 2

Come on people, Tom has Sam Ehlinger at qb, would you rather have Sam or Swoopes?  Tom has much better tools yet continues to fuck it all up

But yeah, they both really suck ass. and it's an indictment on our decision making process.  we need to include previous players from the championship team

Edited by alphahorn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m tired of drinking the Kool-Aid...

I'm not drinking Kool-Aid. Ehlinger is better than Garrett Gilbert and Shane Buechele were while at Texas. It's debatable if he is better than they were at SMU. He's better than Case McCoy and Tyrone Swoopes ever were. It's my personal opinion he's better than non-concussed David Ash, but I don't care enough to argue it. 

Ehlinger is absolutely good enough to win a conference championship; his team isn't. He's not the problem. He might be the problem if we were in the running for a national championship. I don't think he's that good. But he's good enough to win the shitty-ass Big 12.

• Like 1

Just now, Revolution512 said:

You’re missing the point, he knew the situation as soon as he arrived that winter. He didn’t attempt to do a thing about it. Or the following winter, or the one after that.

I’m not missing the point at all, I just said he didn’t fix it in subsequent years.

But the QB mess he inherited from Mack was not  going to be fixed in a single transition class. Herman inherited much less of a mess but he still sucks donkey dick all the same.