Is Tom actually a worse coach than Charlie?

TexArcher

Is Tom a worse coach than Charlie?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom worse than Charlie?

• Yes
    • No
    • About the same

On 11/17/2019 at 10:58 AM, BornOrange1955 said:

Maybe it's time we recognize our standard is a deluded one. Four national championships in 150 years! Three Big XII titles in 20 years! Texas football has won a ton of games over the years but, really, haven't we lost more as favorites, choked away more championships than just about anybody in history? We rarely over achieve.

I’m as down on this Mensa program on anyone, but this is ridiculous. The only polls we recognize are the AP and Coaches’ polls since 1939, but we’d have more than a dozen if we counted them like Bama, Michigan, or aggy.

Now, back to something we can all agree on.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:18 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Those of you that think they are the same or that he is worse have blocked out the Charlie years for your own sanity’s sake.

Texas will never have a coach as bad or worse than Charlie Strong. He was that bad.

David McWilliams was better than Charlie!

We have had 3 consecutive losing seasons twice.  Once in the 30s.  Once with Charlie.  The question is whether the OP is as stupid as Charlie Strong or just has an alcohol induced memory lapse.  I can't answer which of the two is true.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, 2300 Nueces said:

It appears TH is far too emotional.  All the cast off coaches getting gigs at Texas is an example of this.  Critical thinkers with a winning edge would look for an actual winner with fresh ideas but alas we are busy reviving the careers of the average to poor coach.

Elite Coaches - X's and O's matched with elite talent, they tend to attract each other.  Think Riley and his QB's.  They win with young and older players

Average Coaches - These guys preach culture (alignment) and rely on older high talent guys to get wins.  Younger players rarely develop until they "learn on the field" or wash out.

Poor Coaches -  These guys lose with whoever plays for them.  They have a chaotic culture and have no ryhme or reason in their schematics. 

TH is average.  CS is poor.  MB is average.  SS is poor.  Mackovic was average.  I am convinced that Belmont does not want to risk losing face with what may come from rolling the dice and getting an elite coach.  Belmont is comfortable with average and can expect a lock down culture which does not rock the boat or risk embarrassment.  Belmont is also comfortable with a poor coach as long as he is the "right" guy, see Shaka Smart.  Get used to average to below average results, it's the Texas way.

Mack Brown is 7th all time in wins.  He was not average (at least prior to 2010).

On 11/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, SA-KC_Horn said:

Losing is losing no matter how it looks.

We all had high expectations after the Sugar Bowl, now we're back to square one.

We lost our whole defense.  If you weren't drinking the Kool-Aid, you knew we wouldn't repeat last year.  But you certainly wouldn't expect as bad as we have looked.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

We lost our whole defense.  If you weren't drinking the Kool-Aid, you knew we wouldn't repeat last year.  But you certainly wouldn't expect as bad as we have looked.

The same fundamental issues have occurred to some degree every year this defensive staff has been here.   We have been a team that can’t contain and can’t cover every year.  

On 11/17/2019 at 12:19 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

This shit show season is significantly better than Charlie’s best season. People have lost their minds to equate the two. 

Dismissing all the extremely coherent arguments to this point. It just feels worse.

Whether or not he’s a better or worse coach doesn’t mean shit to me.

It just feels worse.

With probably Oklahoma being the one exception.  We've lost in some terrible ways this year that are hard to let go of.   Burrows somehow buying time with pressure from everywhere and Ossai in his face hitting a slant in stride.  Duggins throwing up what amounts to a punt under duress, and the WR sliding behind to catch a ball that barely avoids bouncing off Owen's ass. A couple of penalties setting up ISU for a field goal after we basically dominated the past 25 minutes. 

It's much harder to get over shit like that, and it's easier to single out a handful of things they maybe would have gone better if we did X or Y.

We were able to turn off the TV in the 4Q with Strong and just be content that the team sucked.  Even if certain things went right we still wouldn't have won. 

So, yeah, it does feel worse.  It's also undeniably better to lose a heart breaker than in a blow out.

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

With probably Oklahoma being the one exception.  We've lost in some terrible ways this year that are hard to let go of.   Burrows somehow buying time with pressure from everywhere and Ossai in his face hitting a slant in stride.  Duggins throwing up what amounts to a punt under duress, and the WR sliding behind to catch a ball that barely avoids bouncing off Owen's ass. A couple of penalties setting up ISU for a field goal after we basically dominated the past 25 minutes. 

It's much harder to get over shit like that, and it's easier to single out a handful of things they maybe would have gone better if we did X or Y.

We were able to turn off the TV in the 4Q with Strong and just be content that the team sucked.  Even if certain things went right we still wouldn't have won. 

So, yeah, it does feel worse.  It's also undeniably better to lose a heart breaker than in a blow out.

TCU and ISU are inexcusable and squarely on the coaches. lsu was a toss up and I'm ok with it. ou beat the shit out of us.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re either young or letting 10 years of sustained frustration get to you. Nothing was worse than those 3 years. Nothing. 

Yeah unfortunately not young. Must just be the result of feeling such hope/certitude that TH was the remedy we all hoped for. I mean Charlie was the 1st coach hired after many years of success and many people felt he would fail and the next coach would be “the one”. Guess we may have to move on to number 3.

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m as down on this Mensa program on anyone, but this is ridiculous. The only polls we recognize are the AP and Coaches’ polls since 1939, but we’d have more than a dozen if we counted them like Bama, Michigan, or aggy.

Now, back to something we can all agree on.

Nah, No matter how you count, we wouldn't have more than a dozen national championships. Not even close. Maybe 1977. That's it.

51 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Nah, No matter how you count, we wouldn't have more than a dozen national championships. Not even close. Maybe 1977. That's it.

You have higher standards, so you aren’t looking at it the way, say aggy, would.

This subject came up around the time of the Michigan Rose Bowl game. We could have claimed something like 11 at that time when you include all the minor polls, computer polls, retroactive ratings, and undefeated seasons, all of which some schools count. There was even a Michigan fan who mocked his own school for counting everything. OU, NU, and Texas, to name a few, only count the major polls, BCS, and the sorry excuse of a playoff we have now.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You have higher standards, so you aren’t looking at it the way, say aggy, would.

This subject came up around the time of the Michigan Rose Bowl game. We could have claimed something like 11 at that time when you include all the minor polls, computer polls, retroactive ratings, and undefeated seasons, all of which some schools count. There was even a Michigan fan who mocked his own school for counting everything. OU, NU, and Texas, to name a few, only count the major polls, BCS, and the sorry excuse of a playoff we have now.

Yes.  We have between 6-12 unclaimed depending on what you look at.  The NCAA recordbook even lists us as champions for a year that we don't claim.

If TH had Swoopes as QB, we'd be a 3 win team...

Argue.

I will not be mean since you have obviously had head trauma which keeps you from remembering what you had for breakfast much less three years ago.

Strong had ash and couldn’t win, buechele couldn’t win and the states number one QB and couldn’t win. The fact some of you are actually defending and making excuses for string is beyond laughable. He was the worst coach in over 100 years of Texas football so please shut up

17 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I will not be mean since you have obviously had head trauma which keeps you from remembering what you had for breakfast much less three years ago.

Strong had ash and couldn’t win, buechele couldn’t win and the states number one QB and couldn’t win. The fact some of you are actually defending and making excuses for string is beyond laughable. He was the worst coach in over 100 years of Texas football so please shut up

Agree but to say Strong had Ash is a bit of stretch.  Ash's career was over after game 1 year 1 in the Strong era.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree but to say Strong had Ash is a bit of stretch.  Ash's career was over after game 1 year 1 in the Strong era.

Uh yeah, to say Strong had Ash is highly regarded.   And that, of course, was because Major Applewhite used Ash like a battering ram in Mack's last season. 

19 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

This is like asking if one turd is smellier than another turd. 

One turd managed a single bowl game in three years, in which he put up a Watson of offensive yards against one of our biggest historical rivals.

The other has been bowl eligible every year and won both of the bowls he's been in, including the Sugar Bowl.

There's levels.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

One turd managed a single bowl game in three years, in which he put up a Watson of offensive yards against one of our biggest historical rivals.

The other has been bowl eligible every year and won both of the bowls he's been in, including the Sugar Bowl.

There's levels.

Yes, some turds are smellier than others, I know this. 

17 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Cholly? How is Texags these days aggy poser?

You know something..I have never been to a Texags board because I'm not a Texags fan. Do you remember quite a few years back when Rodney Tate played? He used to stop by my apartment and visit. Sometimes we'd go out to this place by the airport and have a few highballs. He often gave me student tickets to the home games. I'm a couple to 3 older than him. He moved back to Oklahoma after his pro stints with Cincinnati and Atlanta. I'm NOT an faggie troll. I just don't normally make it a habit to visit boards. Too much nonsense in general and that's not what I care for. Am visiting now due to current state of team and am curious how others feel about it. I'll be honest I'm not too fond of Todd and losing interest in Tom. Again some truth..I had no issues with seeing Strong sent out of state and am to the point of thinking Tom should suffer the same fate. 

1 hour ago, BradWilcox said:

You know something..I have never been to a Texags board because I'm not a Texags fan. Do you remember quite a few years back when Rodney Tate played? He used to stop by my apartment and visit. Sometimes we'd go out to this place by the airport and have a few highballs. He often gave me student tickets to the home games. I'm a couple to 3 older than him. He moved back to Oklahoma after his pro stints with Cincinnati and Atlanta. I'm NOT an faggie troll. I just don't normally make it a habit to visit boards. Too much nonsense in general and that's not what I care for. Am visiting now due to current state of team and am curious how others feel about it. I'll be honest I'm not too fond of Todd and losing interest in Tom. Again some truth..I had no issues with seeing Strong sent out of state and am to the point of thinking Tom should suffer the same fate. 

sopranosbs.gif

• Like 1

Lol. Ash. Ok.

Buechele shouldnt have played a down as a FR.

And who is this #1 QB?

Were you drunk?

Lol. Ash. Ok.

Buechele shouldnt have played a down as a FR.

And who is this #1 QB?

Were you drunk?

Beuchele’s freshman year was his best year at Texas, he was better than Swoopes which is why he played.

1) You seriously have never heard of Jerrod Heard? Number one duel threat QB in the state and number 2 duel threat QB in the country? Let me refresh your memory.

5d2836b76dc2e03e0d74ed4b44f0bd57.jpg

2) Charlie and his staff couldn’t develop a QB if you gave him Tom Brady and the ghost of YA Tittle so to intimate Strong couldn’t win because he didn’t have a QB reeks of excuse making.

3) Who’s fault is it that Charlie couldn’t recruit a QB who could play within his offense?

4) I’m not drunk I’m right. Strong is the worst coach in the history of Texas football so just because Herman is having a bad stretch doesn’t mean he is worse than Strong, there is no metric that reflects this.

5) While I’m sure your an intelligent fellow when it comes to football you are at best uninformed and at worst a blind apologist.

93206267d34c438bb12c34fc50595a58.jpg

32 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

No, but the difference is negligible.

Charlie was getting blown out with worse talent, stupid penalties and bad schemes put in place by shitty coordinators.

Tom is barely losing with better talent, stupid penalties and bad schemes put in place by shitty coordinators.

3h3478.jpg

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

1) You seriously have never heard of Jerrod Heard? Number one duel threat QB in the state and number 2 duel threat QB in the country? Let me refresh your memory.

Just behind 5-star bluechip Aaron Burr. Way better than Alexander Hamilton though - dude was way overrated. Probably because he came from a small-island program in St. Kitts and Nevis.