Big balls Tom vs Turtle shell Tom

Rockethorn1978

The battle of two personalities on display yesterday got me thinking, How can a cocky arrogant guy like THE Thomas Herman go for so many 4th and goals and 4th and shorts then turn around and call the most obvious vanilla play calls like a pussy with a shit ton of time left? 2 weak ass run calls and a wr screen (because he so scared of a possible INT).

Seriously someone explain to me how this guy is the big risk taker and then turns into the super safe, overly conservative dad from the progressive insurance commercials?

He's the most bi-polar play caller I've ever seen.

Edited by Rockethorn1978
  • Like 1

When Charlie was here I expected the defense to be the 85 bears and be the most disciplined unit we had, I expect the same from Thomas. HE is a National Champion OC and this season the Offense has gotten worse and worse every single game and he deserves the same fate as Charlie.

also fuck ou.

and fuck that stupid magazine.

• Like 1

Because he's an arrogant bully.  This isn't rocket science, we've all known the kid or man who will try to bully things around but when confronted with real danger becomes a sniveling coward in the corner.  That's Tom.  When the back isn't yet against the wall he makes stupid ballsy "I'm going to rub your nose in it" type calls.  When the chips are down he folds like a scared bitch....every time.

It's one of the worst character traits you can find in a man and that dude has it in spades.

Also it's this trait that loses the team.  You're going to bully them with burnt biscuits, runny eggs, telling them they are bad dudes if they piss brown, etc....you better not end up being a bitch when you get smacked in the face.  But Tom is, he doesn't own shit (we didn't get outcoached...fuck you) and the players see right through the duplicity.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Deep in his bones Tom is still a Neanderthal, meathead football coach who’d prefer to run the ball for three yards, and then punt to to play defense. And he reverts to it often as though the dogmas he learned in his football infancy haven’t been warped by modern offensive football. 

Why do coaches come to Texas and get worse? Tom was a great OC at ohio st and even scored a ton of points at Houston and has come here and this season gotten worse

Charlie defenses were bad ass and then came to Texas and he went to shit

Shaka runs HAVOC! OMG I can't wait till he runs that here!!! Nope he barely runs it and he sucks. WTF!!

I think it was @twicehorn who summed it up best in one of the hundreds of posts I read yesterday but can't be bothered to find now.

At his core he is conservative- a scared pussy afraid of his own shadow.  But he wants to be seen as this swashbuckling badass.  So he picks aggressive moves but reverts to his core self by calling the most basic predictable calls to implement them.

Something like that.  It made sense when I read it but I had just driven back from Ames and watching that shitshow so I was not thinking straight.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I think it was @twicehorn who summed it up best in one of the hundreds of posts I read yesterday but can't be bothered to find now.

At his core he is conservative- a scared pussy afraid of his own shadow.  But he wants to be seen as this swashbuckling badass.  So he picks aggressive moves but reverts to his core self by calling the most basic predictable calls to implement them.

Something like that.  It made sense when I read it but I had just driven back from Ames and watching that shitshow so I was not thinking straight.

Glad you thought it made sense.

Herman has no idea who he is as a coach.  At some level, I think he's pretty conservative, but he fakes being this swashbuckler (great term).  

This inauthenticity makes it almost impossible for him to coherently or consistently be one or the other, or anything else.  High stress situations make it worse.

It's kind of like how bullies are actually really insecure.

It would appear that PJ Fleck is kind of the polar opposite.  He is who he is, like it or not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

When we got the ball back with 4:01left in the game we had scored TDs on our previous 2 drives to take the lead.

The first of those 2 drives, which started in the 3rd quarter and carried over into the 4th, went 80 yards on 10 plays.  All 10 plays were passes.

The next drive went 89 yards on 15 plays.  The drive started with a Sam run for 10 yards and a 1st down, a pass for another 1st down, and a Sam run for 9 yards where he should have had the 1st down but got a shitty spot on where he started his slide.  I believe both of Sam's runs were scrambles but I could be misremembering.  Anyway, facing 2nd and 1, Keontay was stuffed for no gain.  We converted the 3rd down on another pass, the first of 7 straight pass plays (9 if you count the 2 negated by penalty).  At the end of that stretch, we converted on 2nd and 35 with a 30 yard pass to Eagles and a 26 yard pass to Duv.   That set up 1st and goal at the 7.  Sam was stuffed on a designed run.  We then threw 3 more times, finally getting the td on 4th down (herpderp, mensa goes for too many 4th downs!!1!)

For more context, for the game we finished with 2.1 ypc.  Our RBs had 1.9 ypc.  In the 1st half we had a record number of 3 and outs trying to establish the run and execute the game plan.

With all that said, how fucking obvious is it that we should have approached that drive with 4:01 left just like our previous 2 drives?  We had to be agressive, throw the ball, and pick up 1st downs until Iowa State had no timeouts and we could go into victory formation.  The 1:01 we burned off the clock and the one timeout they called meant jackshit.  Iowa State wasn't going to run out of time after we punted.  Hell, if we hadn't jumped offside on the fg, we would have gotten the ball back with 2 minutes.  If the worst had happened and we went 3 and out with 3 incompletions?  We would have been set up to get the ball back with an extra 45 seconds.

With the ball and 4:01 left, our offense could have won the game by scoring or killing the clock, or our defense could have won the game with a stop after we punted it away.  Tom chose not to really try for the 1st option.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 3

On 11/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Deep in his bones Tom is still a Neanderthal, meathead football coach who’d prefer to run the ball for three yards, and then punt to to play defense. And he reverts to it often as though the dogmas he learned in his football infancy haven’t been warped by modern offensive football. 

This. MENSA Tom is still Grog at heart, and Grog doesn't learn nearly so quickly as he needs to.

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

TwiceHorn nailed it.

He's a thoroughly insecure guy, as evidenced numerous times in different ways.

As such, he has no real identity, so it's all manufactured.

Thus, inconsistency.

And defensiveness whenever challenged.

Well stated.  

Its interesting what we have learned about human nature in our struggles.

• Haha 1