"W-we can't hire Urban! We're Texas!"

TXs

And we wonder why we can't get back to prominence. We've never been squeaky clean ever when we've been at the top. If you want to win you've got to play the game and hire cold hitting pipe hitters. Fuck you dorks that want to be Michigan - go cheer for them. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

9 minutes ago, TXs said:

And we wonder why we can't get back to prominence. We've never been squeaky clean ever when we've been at the top. If you want to win you've got to play the game and hire cold hitting pipe hitters. Fuck you dorks that want to be Michigan - go cheer for them. 

I'd take "being Michigan" over this shit-show right now.

• Like 1

It’s not that we can’t hire Urban. It’s just that we’re not going to because Herman will be here next year and Urb will be at USC.

Telling a coach they have to run a program the Texas way is why we will perpetually be in this state. We force coaches to conform the the university when it should be the opposite.
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It’s not that we can’t hire Urban. It’s just that we’re not going to because Herman will be here next year and Urb will be at USC.

And once that happens USC will be in the playoffs before Texas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I say hire him, but be very clear that he has to run a clean program (relatively speaking). I’m sure he’s capable of that. His last two stops weren’t the types of places that demand it. 

His problem is not necessarily NCAA violations, it's being a lying duplicitous asshole just in general.

I'm sure he's not capable of changing that.

If you actually want to be more like LSU, you didn't learn very much at this university. 

I want our university to actually treat our football program that carries the name of the state that is supposedly the holy grail of football. Our university can talk about winning all it wants but it doesn’t do what it has to to win and support the football team like it should and the way schools like Alabama, USC, Ohio State, ousux, and a host of other schools. I’m not saying devalue the education. These days it seems football is secondary to the university but as long as money comes in that’s fine for them. As I’ve said before our administration and our program talks about winning more than actually winning.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Exactly.  We tried to get Saban, so there's no reason we wouldn't try to get Urban.  It's not a squeaky clean thing.  It's the fact that last year bought Tom at least two more, right or wrong.  And Urban will have the USC job before our next coaching search.

19 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I want our university to actually treat our football program that carries the name of the state that is supposedly the holy grail of football. Our university can talk about winning all it wants but it doesn’t do what it has to to win and support the football team like it should and the way schools like Alabama, USC, Ohio State, ousux, and a host of other schools. I’m not saying devalue the education. These days it seems football is secondary to the university but as long as money comes in that’s fine for them. As I’ve said before our administration and our program talks about winning more than actually winning.

Football SHOULD be secondary to the University. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

is dabo winning dirty?  riley?  smart?  whittingham?  all those guys are winning dirty.  okay.

The short answer is that all of those coaches get away with things at their schools they 95% chance wouldn't get away with at Texas, either because Texas wouldn't allow it or because our neighbors would expose us in a New York minute.

Things like:
- legally gray area PEDs, because the NCAA testing program is a joke
- letting boosters have 'access'
- turning a blind eye to payments to player/recruit families
- player/recruit families getting hooked up
- turning a blind eye to player misconduct and off the field issues, including violent crimes and assaults
- letting recruit's 'uncles' have a hand in the recruiting process.

That's not an exhaustive list of things or schools or coaches. It's just shit we don't do that others do.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

WTF?  This is not LSU.  Football exists as a part of the university, not the other way around.

LSU does not have a 100k stadium tho. I cant stand this bullshit elitist pseudo-academic stance I see on shaggy. Big time football is in a weird and autonomous space even at Texas. it's part of the schoo, but it's also its own entity. I can't stand this "oh we don't win as much because we're such a good academic school."  bullshit. You don't win because you just don't. academics have nothing to do with it. Notre Dame has even made the playoffs. Ohio St is a good school too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Smith2 said:

LSU does not have a 100k stadium tho. I cant stand this bullshit elitist pseudo-academic stance I see on shaggy. Big time football is in a weird and autonomous space even at Texas. it's part of the schoo, but it's also its own entity. I can't stand this "oh we don't win as much because we're such a good academic school."  bullshit. You don't win because you just don't. academics have nothing to do with it. Notre Dame has even made the playoffs. Ohio St is a good school too. 

I'm pretty sure LSU has a 100k stadium

*- they do

Edited by Disco Missile
Googled it
  • Like 1

Just now, John Smith2 said:

big time football is not part of the university, in the same fashion the chemistry club is....

100k people aren;'t buying tickets to see organic reactions in a lab....

Ok? None of that is responsive. It’s a great unwitting argument for why a university education is important, though.

• Like 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

Ok? None of that is responsive. It’s a great unwitting argument for why a university education is important, though.

Im not saying education is not important. I'm saying big time football even at Texas uses the university as an avenue to sell a product, which is sports entertainment. The reason Texas is not winning like Ohio St, is not because they value football less in favor of academics, texas doesn't win as much because they don't. it's that simple.

we never heard this type of talk when Mack Brown won a chip.... 

Let’s keep talking about that 2005 national championship and prior to that it was all talk about DKR’s accomplishments even 10-15 down the years.

I challenge you to actually prove that our university talks about winning more than they actually want to win.

We’re a literal version of the high school state champion QB who never went on to play college ball that does nothing but talk about his days as a high school QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

WTF?  This is not LSU.  Football exists as a part of the university, not the other way around.

Lmao! You are fucking delusional. NCAA Football at this level is a huge money making sport. It is its own entity and business. This isn't high school and this isn't some feel good intramural league. Look at the salaries these coaches make and then tell me it is just apart of the school. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Doesn’t seem to hurt Ohio state who we are relatively close to in terms of resources, academics, and etc.

They put their football team as the poster child of the university.

But no “we’re Texas!”

If you don’t think Ohio State has been “hurt,” then we’re not ever going to agree on what we want out of the University. 

9 minutes ago, John Smith2 said:

The very first statement you made is wrong, and your post got worse after that.  

• Like 2

If you don’t think Ohio State has been “hurt,” then we’re not ever going to agree on what we want out of the University. 

I want our university to win national championships and compete for them year in and year out. How does that take away from academics. I’m clearly saying our university doesn’t value winning as much as they talk about valuing winning. The two aren’t mutuall exclusive, academics and football, like you’re trying to make them.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

And that’s exactly why we talk about winning at Texas more than actually winning.

Yep. That's just the way it is culturally at the University of Texas.

We'll bumble along and get lucky with a hire sometime in the next couple of decades and win another championship eventually.

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

I want our university to win national championships and compete for them year in and year out. How does that take away from academics. I’m clearly saying our university doesn’t value winning as much as they talk about valuing winning. The two aren’t mutuall exclusive, academics and football, like you’re trying to make them.

I’m not trying to make them mutually exclusive. Literally no one has hinted at any such thing. You said that the university should be secondary to football. It’s a matter of priorities, and yours are backwards. 

You brought up Ohio State. Each of their last 2 head coaches resigned in disgrace. The program is dirty. I want to win national championships too. I don’t want to use that as a model, and I don’t think we need to (because, again, it’s not mutually exclusive). But if that’s your ideal for us to emulate, I’d rather lose.

• Like 2

I have no dog in this fight not being a UT fan, and I guess I just wasn’t paying close enough attention to Florida and Ohio State, but why does Urban have a reputation here of being a dirty coach or at least one without a moral compass?

I drink a lot before you all start mocking me for being in the dark here.  

Edited by Uncle Nate