"W-we can't hire Urban! We're Texas!"

TXs

There just aren't that many coaches on the planet that can build a program that consistently win titles. If there were, bama and Clemson wouldn't win the title every year. New England wouldn't win the title every year. 

Herman looked like a good hire at the time. He clearly isn't ready for the big time. The number of coaches that could, and would, come into Texas and immediately make them a title contender is probably two. Maybe three. And urban is one of those. That's just how it is. Doesn't mean you have to hire him, but urban meyer from Utah circa 2005 isn't out there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

nc winning coach? fupm? nope nope nope nope.

if Vince had not told fupm and gdgd to stfu I got this coach fupm would not be a nc coach. that championship belongs to vince.

Mack almost won two NCs... shit he probably should have had a chance at 3. 

Yeah Vince and Colt were fucking amazing but at the end of the day it's just one player. Texas had plenty of teams under Mack that laid the wood on both sides of the ball, blew out shitty teams and sometimes decent ones and scored on special teams and defense frequently. Yeah he took it up the ass against Stoops about 5 times too many, but we were still better just about every single year in the 00s than we are now. Last years 10 wins was nice but that team wasn't special by Texas standards.

6 minutes ago, pops said:

Doesn't mean you have to hire him, but urban meyer from Utah circa 2005 isn't out there. 

Eh. It's tough to know that. I agree there aren't many sure things but there are always younger coaches that just need some chips to fall their way to join the upper echelon. I'm not going to put Riley up there because personally I don't think OU is very good and closer to a 9-3 team than a 12-0 one, but Dabo joined that tier within the past 5 years. There's always someone out there - Texas might not be great at finding them but guys like Saban and Belicheck don't rule forever. 

7 minutes ago, NowThis said:

suppose Mack does well at UNC, is he re-hired?  I kid i kid.

Damn it's hard to find a decent coach isn't it? How did Ohio State get so lucky that they are actually better after Urban? Great recruiting centers like Miami, FSU and Florida - all 3 dominated college ball at one point, fell apart after losing great staffs.  It's very hard to find the right guy.  Even Linoln Riley isn't that impressive. Maybe only 5 sure hits in all the country right?

Because Ryan Day made some nice tweaks in addition to retaining worthwhile staff members rather than starting from scratch. He brought in Yurcich from Okie St to pair with Tony Alford who has coached up some bad ass running backs to run the offense, the result is the nation's #6 scoring offense.

OU should be a three loss team right now and they're fortunate to have one loss, but Riley has reached the playoffs two consecutive seasons with two different quarterbacks and he could end up weaseling his way into the playoffs a third consecutive season with a third quarterback. He already accomplished more in his first two seasons than any of the clowns coaching Texas have in a decade.

Miami attempted to clean up their Thug U image when they hired Randy Shannon. They graduated more players and kept a clean image, but they didn't win shit on the football field. UF had several misses, but they're looking good under Mullen. FSU was winning under Jimbo, but the ascension of Clemson squashed that.

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh. It's tough to know that. I agree there aren't many sure things but there are always younger coaches that just need some chips to fall their way to join the upper echelon. I'm not going to put Riley up there because personally I don't think OU is very good and closer to a 9-3 team than a 12-0 one, but Dabo joined that tier within the past 5 years. There's always someone out there - Texas might not be great at finding them but guys like Saban and Belicheck don't rule forever. 

I agree that someone is out there. But most thought Herman had everything going to be that guy. And no, saban and belicheck don't rule forever. I'm just saying the list of known winners is pretty small. Maybe fleck is one. Maybe Campbell is one. Maybe shanahan is one. But it is known urban is one. 

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mack almost won two NCs... shit he probably should have had a chance at 3

Yeah Vince and Colt were fucking amazing but at the end of the day it's just one player. Texas had plenty of teams under Mack that laid the wood on both sides of the ball, blew out shitty teams and sometimes decent ones and scored on special teams and defense frequently. Yeah he took it up the ass against Stoops about 5 times too many, but we were still better just about every single year in the 00s than we are now. Last years 10 wins was nice but that team wasn't special by Texas standards.

Had a shot at four, actually. 2001 and 2008. 2001 Mack shit the bed against a  Colorado team that Texas demolished in the regular season. Texas lost in the Big 12 Championship game and a shitty Nebraska team that didn't even play for the Big 12 Championship went on to get ass raped by Miami. There is no doubt in my mind that Miami team would've fucked Texas in a similar manner. 2008 Texas could've potentially beaten Florida.

• Like 1

I just want a coach that can teach basic fucking things without allowing for rape and murder in the program 

How to tackle 

how to run routes 

how to properly block 

how to return punts 

how to not make stupid penalties

Is that too much to ask?  If we can do these things we win every game this year but maybe OU.  The talent is fucking here.      

Edited by Xian
  • Like 2

LSU does not have a 100k stadium tho. I cant stand this bullshit elitist pseudo-academic stance I see on shaggy. Big time football is in a weird and autonomous space even at Texas. it's part of the schoo, but it's also its own entity. I can't stand this "oh we don't win as much because we're such a good academic school."  bullshit. You don't win because you just don't. academics have nothing to do with it. Notre Dame has even made the playoffs. Ohio St is a good school too. 

Yep. until we have the same entrance standards for athletes, academics don’t mean shit with regards to sports.

• Like 1

The only reason Urban went to Ohio State is because that was his home state and he had a lot of experience there. He will never coach again anywhere. He quite his last two jobs at UF and tOSU because of "health issues", the stress of the job wore him down. Before anyone criticizes him on this, how many of us could handle the stress of head coach of one of these major programs. 

Wow I can’t believe you bought that bullshit. What a rube.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chad said:

Had a shot at four, actually. 2001 and 2008. 2001 Mack shit the bed against a  Colorado team that Texas demolished in the regular season. Texas lost in the Big 12 Championship game and a shitty Nebraska team that didn't even play for the Big 12 Championship went on to get ass raped by Miami. There is no doubt in my mind that Miami team would've fucked Texas in a similar manner. 2008 Texas could've potentially beaten Florida.

Yeah I include 08 because I think Texas stands a good chance of beating that Florida team. A better chance than OU did. 

No one was beating 01 Miami - and I don't think we would have beat 04 SC. 

54 minutes ago, Xian said:

I just want a coach that can teach basic fucking things without allowing for rape and murder in the program 

How to tackle 

how to run routes 

how to properly block 

how to return punts 

how to not make stupid penalties

Is that too much to ask?  If we can do these things we win every game this year but maybe OU.  The talent is fucking here.      

Gary Patterson? Whoever coaches KSU? Those two teams seem to be well coached.

Can’t we just hire that really nice mid-age coach who everyone likes, never says a mean word, is always super respectful to his players and fans, and who’s former players have never done anything wrong?   You know the one who wins all those championships....I am blanking on his name.

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Can’t we just hire that really nice mid-age coach who everyone likes, never says a mean word, is always super respectful to his players and fans, and who’s former players have never done anything wrong?   You know the one who wins all those championships....I am blanking on his name.

Why don't we just hire Barry Switzer,  that guy was a winner

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Dabo’s not leaving Clemson. 

4 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

1. weaponize the Longhorn Network to benefit our recruiting.. the only thing keeping high school games off of that network is our touchy feely "everyone gets a trophy" Plonsky bloat. We suffer all of the disadvantages of this abortion of a network and refuse to exploit its possible advantages... just as our competition would have us do. 

Look, I get the pro cheating argument. But if you’re going to cheat, you have to figure out a way to get away with it.

DOCUMENTING your cheating (Showing HS games on regional television despite rules barring it) via a television network is NOT how you get away with cheating, fuckingndumbass 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I have my reservations about Meyer, but comparing him to a rape enabler is laughable.

Is it though? I guess if you think enabling beating the shit outta your wife for years is laughable compared to enabling rape. Personally they seem to be two peas of the same pod.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Look, I get the pro cheating argument. But if you’re going to cheat, you have to figure out a way to get away with it.

DOCUMENTING your cheating (Showing HS games on regional television despite rules barring it) via a television network is NOT how you get away with cheating, fuckingndumbass 

nobody is suggesting any attempt at "getting away with cheating" 

The "rules barring it" have never been meaningfully challenged.. which is what I am suggesting.. using our "stroke as a revenue generating behemoth" to be the vanguard of change and out in front of this... utilizing our network to our obvious advantage.... paying players in California and transfer portals were "against the rules" once as well. 

Or we could we could type "rectum" a bunch of times on a fan message board... you make the call. 

23 minutes ago, randygilman said:

fucking fuck. We’re a school with a football team, not a football team with a School attached

This is basically what the landscape has boiled down to. The last "academic" school to win a NC was probably Texas in 2005 unless you count Florida. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Ah yes, forgot about that. I was thinking players specifically. 

He recruited a bunch of low-character guys at Florida.  Like criminal low.  When that started to cause more problems than it solved on the field, bingo-bango, heart condition that precluded him from coaching.  But disappeared in 18 months.

1 hour ago, randygilman said:

Ken Starr probably wants to be a university President again, too. 

fucking fuck. We’re a school with a football team, not a football team with a School attached

Yeah tell that to Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, and Washington. 

We just fucking suck.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This is basically what the landscape has boiled down to. The last "academic" school to win a NC was probably Texas in 2005 unless you count Florida. 

Whatever academic rankings mean, ARWU top 100 rankings and most recent AP national championship: 

Ohio St 100 (2014), Penn State 98 (1986), Florida 95 (2008), Pitt 89 (1976), USC 55 (2004),  Maryland 46 (1953), Texas 45 (2005), Minnesota 41 (1960), Colorado 38 (1990), Michigan 20 (1997), U of Washington 14 (1991 coaches poll) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blanton said:

Yeah tell that to Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, and Washington. 

We just fucking suck.

I get how important football is.

my degree is more important, and always will be.  And I can still expect wins thinking that without hiring a seedy piece of shit. Remember when we all laughed at Urban teaching an ethics class at tOSU? It’s still retarded. It’s still laughable. 

Don't give a shit about my degree. I don't want scum like Meyer in a position to cause serious damage to people by enabling crooks with their conveniently shitty memories. It's laughable that this is even a point of contention, but then again there are rapists and pedophiles in more important jobs in the world and people don't give a shit, so I guess Urban seems tame or something?

Can someone elucidate the actual advantages of running a dirty program? To me it's only in recruiting and retaining crooks, but talent acquisition has not been our problem. Mensa is getting most of the recruits he wants. Iowa State and Baylor have better teams than us and we recruited maybe 5 guys on their rosters combined. It's just coaching and I know there are plenty of guys that don't need to enable crooks in order to teach a guy how to tackle 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 3

Are some of you thinking of Bill Belichick when you constantly bring up Hernandez?
Nah, Hernandez was involved in a shooting while at UF. I don't think the guy died though. He was under investigation for it so there's no real defense for Urban to say he didn't know. I think his anger issues were well known then too. He was definitely troubled while in college.

Nah, Hernandez was involved in a shooting while at UF. I don't think the guy died though. He was under investigation for it so there's no real defense for Urban to say he didn't know. I think his anger issues were well known then too. He was definitely troubled while in college.

Should we blame Herman for Josh Moore?

42 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Oh yeah, those are the exact same situations.  Moron.

Hernandez left home in January 2007, taking early graduation to enroll at Florida and be eligible for spring football. But he was miserable and overmatched his first year there and told friends on the phone he wanted to quit. Meyer brought him in for face-to-face meetings, reading Scripture in his office each morning. He assigned Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin All-American linemen, to baby-sit Hernandez, and detailed Tim Tebow, the truest of believers, to be his life instructor. But even Tebow couldn’t save him from himself once Hernandez got a few beers in his system. The pair went out that April to a bar near campus, where the underage Hernandez had an argument with a waiter and punched him in the head as he walked away. Michael Taphorn suffered a ruptured eardrum, but didn’t press charges on Hernandez, telling the cops he was talking to Florida coaches, according to a police report. The matter seems to have been settled quietly out of court, which was fine with Gainesville cops and the DA. They treated the punch-out as a juvie offense, giving Hernandez a deferred prosecution on the hush.

“We didn’t hear that story till much, much later – the police didn’t file a report,” says a local reporter who was covering the team. As a sophomore, Hernandez was benched for the season opener, meaning he’d likely failed drug tests over the summer. But Meyer denied it, saying he “wasn’t ready to play,” again giving cover for bad behavior. “Meyer kept us at such a distance,” says the reporter, “or flat-out lied, that we couldn’t verify a pot suspension.”

Hernandez would fail other drug tests, according to reports, and should have faced bans for up to half a season, per school regulations. Instead, he didn’t miss a single snap, though he was seen hanging out with a crew of thugs at a local bar. One of them was Bristol pal Ernest Wallace, who came down to Florida, says a friend, to be “Aaron’s muscle.”

We shouldn't blame Meyer for his player attempting murder. It is something I find scummy (keeping him on the squad) but I've got a lot of issues otherwise with him. Mainly the way he ups and leaves programs which are doing well. It's so suspicious and I'd rather not our school be the school which gets busted for whatever the hell he's afraid of when he quits.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, TXs said:

And we wonder why we can't get back to prominence. We've never been squeaky clean ever when we've been at the top. If you want to win you've got to play the game and hire cold hitting pipe hitters. Fuck you dorks that want to be Michigan - go cheer for them. 

Um sure the opinion of a few fans on the internet is why we can't get back to prominence. 

Edited by Valmy77