"W-we can't hire Urban! We're Texas!"

TXs

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

I have no dog in this fight not being a UT fan, and I guess I just wasn’t paying close enough attention to Florida and Ohio State, but why does Urban have a reputation here of being a dirty coach or at least one without a moral compass?

I drink a lot before you all start mocking me for being in the dark here.  

He protected a wife beater on his staff. There's other stuff, but that's a big one.

5 minutes ago, John Smith2 said:

we don't care as much about sports as other schools, says the university with a cable channel dedicated to sports, a 100k stadium, and an athletic budget that rivals third world countries budgets.  Texas is not fucking Harvard. it's a good public school, that;s about it. 

Absolutely the truth.

Texas fucking sucks at football and it's due to incompetence between coaches, boosters, and athletic department. Not because we're trying to emulate Mchigan or because we're the "Harvard of the South" and won't stoop low to win games. This is a business as evidenced by the poster quoted above. 

Hell, we'll have only one, I repeat ONE fucking 10 win season in a decade. Forget championships, I'm justing hoping we can get 8, 9+ win seasons strung together because it looks like this program is going the way of Miami and Tennessee. 

• Like 1

I have no dog in this fight not being a UT fan, and I guess I just wasn’t paying close enough attention to Florida and Ohio State, but why does Urban have a reputation here of being a dirty coach or at least one without a moral compass?
I drink a lot before you all start mocking me for being in the dark here.  

I want a model that wins and programs like Ohio state, ousux, Alabama, and etc all have a model that makes football the priority of the university. Especially in a day and age where NCAA is essentially powerless yet you people are worried about shit that doesn’t happen?

Model those schools, why? Because they historically won championships while toeing the line or even crossing it. It’s essentially the game of college football and always has. This holier than thou shit we have as a fan base cause “we’re Texas” isn’t going to take us where we should be as a program.

Just now, Bevo VIII said:

I want a model that wins and programs like Ohio state, ousux, Alabama, and etc all have a model that makes football the priority of the university. Especially in a day and age where NCAA is essentially powerless yet you people are worried about shit that doesn’t happen?

Model those schools, why? Because they historically won championships while toeing the line or even crossing it. It’s essentially the game of college football and always has. This holier than thou shit we have as a fan base cause “we’re Texas” isn’t going to take us where we should be as a program.

We aren't going to be like those schools. It's just something you accept as a Texas fan.

We're like Michigan and Cal.

The short answer is that all of those coaches get away with things at their schools they 95% chance wouldn't get away with at Texas, either because Texas wouldn't allow it or because our neighbors would expose us in a New York minute.
Things like:
- legally gray area PEDs, because the NCAA testing program is a joke
- letting boosters have 'access'
- turning a blind eye to payments to player/recruit families
- player/recruit families getting hooked up
- turning a blind eye to player misconduct and off the field issues, including violent crimes and assaults
- letting recruit's 'uncles' have a hand in the recruiting process.
That's not an exhaustive list of things or schools or coaches. It's just shit we don't do that others do.
fupm did all of that
  • Like 1

"Texas was dead serious about trying to money-whip Saban," Finebaum and Wojciechowski write. "Depending on whom you talk to -- Bama big hitters or Texas big hitters -- the Longhorns were prepared to give Saban somewhere between a $12 and $15 million signing bonus and a salary package worth $100 million (plus performances)."  https://www.al.com/sports/2014/07/texas_offered_nick_saban_100_m.html

wE wOuLd nEvEr hIrE SaBaN

we don't care as much about sports, says the fanbase which hired planes, to display banners demanding the firing of their national championship winning coach..... 
nc winning coach? fupm? nope nope nope nope.

if Vince had not told fupm and gdgd to stfu I got this coach fupm would not be a nc coach. that championship belongs to vince.
  • Like 1

Yeah, it has nothing to do with suggesting that a good academic institution can't have a good football program. That's not the argument. The argument is that Texas has shown that it won't quite go to lengths other programs go to to ensure a winning football team. 

In a hypothetical world, would you expect Alabama or Ohio St or Auburn or Oklahoma, if they were in Texas's current situation - with a clearly deficient head coach, and one of the 2 best coaches of the last 15 years sitting on the sideline - to sit and just slowly watch the current bad coach fail for another couple of years? Or do you think the buyout would already be raised and the contacts with Urban would already be underway? Hell, Auburn did this with better coaches than Herman. 

When people say "Texas doesn't care enough" - it's not about the fans caring, it's not about delusions of academic grandeur...it's more about the university's/donors' general reluctance to waste money on coaches' buyouts, a lack of urgency to ensure a winning football program, etc. It can be a slow-moving athletic department. And the result is that, because it won't act decisively regarding a clearly mediocre coach, the one coach that you know will succeed here will be employed elsewhere when Texas finally does come around to replacing Herman. And thus, they'll employ a lesser coach who may or may not succeed. 

And I am not saying that Texas should hire Urban. I don't like the guy, he seems sleazy, etc. But he is more likely to win at Texas than anyone else they could hire. And he is available. This in and of itself is exactly why other blue-blood programs would make the move. If Texas really cared about football that much, this would be a done deal.

The university cares about football, but it doesn't care enough to make this move and nearly ensure a dominant run for the next decade. And - right, wrong or indifferent - that's why people believe the university doesn't care as much. There are probably very good reasons not to hire Urban. I'm not advocating for it. Just saying that others would (and someone will), and their football team will be really good because of it. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, it has nothing to do with suggesting that a good academic institution can't have a good football program. That's not the argument. The argument is that Texas has shown that it won't quite go to lengths other programs go to to ensure a winning football team. 

In a hypothetical world, would you expect Alabama or Ohio St or Auburn or Oklahoma, if they were in Texas's current situation - with a clearly deficient head coach, and one of the 2 best coaches of the last 15 years sitting on the sideline - to sit and just slowly watch the current bad coach fail for another couple of years? Or do you think they buyout would already be raised and the contacts with Urban would already be underway? Hell, Auburn did this with better coaches than Herman. 

When people say "Texas doesn't care enough" - it's not about the fans caring, it's not about delusions of academic grandeur...it's more about the university's/donors' general reluctance to waste money on coaches' buyouts, a lack of urgency to ensure a winning football program, etc. It can be a slow-moving athletic department. And the result is that, because it won't act decisively regarding a clearly mediocre coach, the one coach that you know will succeed here will be employed elsewhere when Texas finally does come around to replacing Herman. And thus, they'll employ a lesser coach who may or may not succeed. 

And I am not saying that Texas should hire Urban. I don't like the guy, he seems sleazy, etc. But he is more likely to win at Texas than anyone else they could hire. And he is available. This in and of itself is exactly why other blue-blood programs would make the move. If Texas really cared about football that much, this would be a done deal.

The university cares about football, but it doesn't care enough to make this move and nearly ensure a dominant run for the next decade. And - right, wrong or indifferent - that's why people believe the university doesn't care as much. 

This is correct. This really isn’t that hard.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

His problem is not necessarily NCAA violations, it's being a lying duplicitous asshole just in general.

I'm sure he's not capable of changing that.

You may be right, but I was thinking character issues as well as NCAA violations. The character issues would be harder for him to change, that’s for sure.

1. weaponize the Longhorn Network to benefit our recruiting.. the only thing keeping high school games off of that network is our touchy feely "everyone gets a trophy" Plonsky bloat. We suffer all of the disadvantages of this abortion of a network and refuse to exploit its possible advantages... just as our competition would have us do. 

2. Stop allowing the Conradt mafia to influence a mother fucking thing within our athletic department. 

Two painfully obvious self imposed limitations on our "commitment to winning championships in football" that do not and could not exist anywhere else. 

The only reason Urban went to Ohio State is because that was his home state and he had a lot of experience there. He will never coach again anywhere. He quite his last two jobs at UF and tOSU because of "health issues", the stress of the job wore him down. Before anyone criticizes him on this, how many of us could handle the stress of head coach of one of these major programs. 

3 minutes ago, TexasBuckeye said:

The only reason Urban went to Ohio State is because that was his home state and he had a lot of experience there. He will never coach again anywhere. He quite his last two jobs at UF and tOSU because of "health issues", the stress of the job wore him down. Before anyone criticizes him on this, how many of us could handle the stress of head coach of one of these major programs. 

I think it was more the stress of being a Godfather.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Let’s keep talking about that 2005 national championship and prior to that it was all talk about DKR’s accomplishments even 10-15 down the years.

I challenge you to actually prove that our university talks about winning more than they actually want to win.

We’re a literal version of the high school state champion QB who never went on to play college ball that does nothing but talk about his days as a high school QB.

Holy shit we are Uncle Rico

Now I need a drink

Edited by Otter

16 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

High road leads to forever 6-6. Everyone marches on but we have our laurels 

More like a fig leaf .....laurels imply we have achieved something of importance-we haven’t of late.

If the breeze comes from the wrong direction it will expose our tiny pee pee.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, TexasBuckeye said:

Your mother.

Say what you want about Urban, don’t care. He’s a piece of shit.

I am proud that I graduated from UT. I am also proud that I didn’t go somewhere that covered up rape, covered up fucking little boys, covered up molesting gymnasts, etc...

I think if you cheat or mistreat others, that’s one thing, but if you just get caught with weed and a pistol that’s another, because you’re a dumbass.

My time in watching Texas is the most any Texas school has done (titles, bowls, player awards).

If you have a tiny little dick like OP, you’ll convince yourself that sacrificing moral and ethical standards to win makes sense. All of the sudden, life changes and everything is amazing. 

When I meet an SEC grad in Austin, I don’t go crazy and think, “oh wow, you must be cool because the football team you cheered for is bad ass.”

When I meet an tOSU grad I wonder if they were one of the ones that thought Urban was ok and part of the group that wanted to keep him. What do you think when you meet a PSU grad? 

It’s just a game and I’m a huge fan.

”cold hitting pipe hitting...” wtf are you talking about.

Fuck Urban Meyer, hang him by piano wire in Nuremberg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaggerHorns said:

Say what you want about Urban, don’t care. He’s a piece of shit.

I am proud that I graduated from UT. I am also proud that I didn’t go somewhere that covered up rape, covered up fucking little boys, covered up molesting gymnasts, etc...

I think if you cheat or mistreat others, that’s one thing, but if you just get caught with weed and a pistol that’s another, because you’re a dumbass.

My time in watching Texas is the most any Texas school has done (titles, bowls, player awards).

If you have a tiny little dick like OP, you’ll convince yourself that sacrificing moral and ethical standards to win makes sense. All of the sudden, life changes and everything is amazing. 

When I meet an SEC grad in Austin, I don’t go crazy and think, “oh wow, you must be cool because the football team you cheered for is bad ass.”

When I meet an tOSU grad I wonder if they were one of the ones that thought Urban was ok and part of the group that wanted to keep him. What do you think when you meet a PSU grad? 

It’s just a game and I’m a huge fan.

”cold hitting pipe hitting...” wtf are you talking about.

You will never find an tOSU grad that thinks bad of Urban. It simply does not exist. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

is dabo winning dirty? Is your head up your ass?

Of course they are, well IPTAY has their hands in it. Just as they did with Charlie Pell and Danny Ford. IPTAY has always provided a cushion between the coaching staff and the football program. Just like their God Howard intented when he brought the rock in from Death Valley and announced the beginning of the “I Pay Ten A Year” boosters.

It isn’t a coincidence that Dabo started winning big only when SOS said fuck it and left South Carolina because their power base wouldn’t allow the same shit. There is a reason SC is an historically a .500 team. They have never allowed a slush fund like they do in Pickens county.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I am proud that I graduated from UT. I am also proud that I didn’t go somewhere that covered up rape, covered up fucking little boys, covered up molesting gymnasts, etc..

Damn!  Urban did all that?

Unfuckingbelievable.

8 minutes ago, TriStone said:

It's probably because he's about 1/10th as bad as the saintly heroes in this thread make him out to be.

Urban, to me, just seems like an arrogant dick bag who wins. He's not a likeable person, but coaches who win aren't. Keeping Zach Smith just made it worse, but I wouldn't say no to the guy if he wanted the Texas job, so long as Zach has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not like Herman is a paragon of morality with his hiring of Horny. 

Exactly.  We tried to get Saban, so there's no reason we wouldn't try to get Urban.  It's not a squeaky clean thing.  It's the fact that last year bought Tom at least two more, right or wrong.  And Urban will have the USC job before our next coaching search.

Yep. Regardless of where you fall, the debate is utterly pointless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's not like Herman is a paragon of morality with his hiring of Horny. 

Yeah, everyone seems to conveniently ignore this.  If we’re OK with our coach hiring shady-ass subordinates, let’s at least get one who can beat TCU and Iowa State...

Edited by Ignatius
I realize Casey Horny isn’t an assistant coach

quite?

59 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Think about this- We almost hired Gary intramurals Barnett instead of Mack, then we hired Charlie and Hermensa. We are slightly moronic when it comes to coaching hires. 

suppose Mack does well at UNC, is he re-hired?  I kid i kid.

Damn it's hard to find a decent coach isn't it? How did Ohio State get so lucky that they are actually better after Urban? Great recruiting centers like Miami, FSU and Florida - all 3 dominated college ball at one point, fell apart after losing great staffs.  It's very hard to find the right guy.  Even Linoln Riley isn't that impressive. Maybe only 5 sure hits in all the country right?

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

suppose Mack does well at UNC, is he re-hired?  I kid i kid.

Damn it's hard to find a decent coach isn't it? How did Ohio State get so lucky that they are actually better after Urban? Great recruiting centers like Miami, FSU and Florida - all 3 dominated college ball at one point, fell apart after losing great staffs.  It's very hard to find the right guy.  Even Linoln Riley isn't that impressive. Maybe only 5 sure hits in all the country right?

I absolutely agree, but Texas wading in mediocrity for the last decade should never happen with our talent-rich state. It takes a special kind of stupid hire two equally shitty coaches in a row. It's mind boggling at how poorly the process was handled. When you see a mouth breathing moron at LSU going undefeated, it really hits you in the balls.