Last Jedi Was So Bad I Only Saw It Twice

Eskimohorn

On 10/19/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rimbo said:

Lengthy documented bullshittery has been given. Contorted logic and bizarre attempts to ignore facts have been written. Strange personal attacks have been justified. Plot holes that really aren't plot holes have been expounded upon endlessly. But the big picture is largely being ignored in a weird, cult-like attempt to justify the nonsensical conclusion: "It is a bad movie because I did not enjoy it."

In short, almost zero "good, in depth reasons" have been expressed here. The one or two that have, have not been agreed to by this weird particular corner of Star Wars fandom on the internet that by and large insists that Kennedy is some vile demon determined to SJW the franchise, cackling at us while peering over a copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves.

It's very simple: Movies and other works of art are not bad or good based on whether or not you, me, or anyone else enjoys them. And no amount of "here's a link to some guy who agrees with me" or "here is some lengthy tautology" changes any of that.

I can find plenty of other corners of the internet where there is equally-ridiculous levels of love of Episode 8, who would portray those who didn't like it as being WRONG. (And they are wrong to say that.) And I can find a handful of corners of the internet where actual, intelligent discussion of the movie happens. This is not either of those.

And there it is again.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, mulletpelini said:

star wars christmas special >>>>>>>>>>> this hunk of shit.

Saw it last night.  Man, I just don't get it.  I understand that there are the hardcore Star Wars fans that love the movies after the original 3 but it's just not my thing I guess.  I thought it was pretty bad.  Beyond the childish, cliched plots there are so many things I thought were stupid.  How does everyone understand the beeps and chirps of robot as a real language?  If this is a world different from our own (which explains why people are flying through the stars but still wear capes - as it was explained to me previously) why do the guards in the one scene look suspiciously like red monochrome samurai?  Why does the lead female character have a British accent?  If they are on a space ship where presumably space would be a premium why does that scene (with the samurai) occur in a 1/2 acre sized room with nothing in it but a throne, red back lighting and an oddly placed garbage disposal in the middle of the room.  If the size of the room if afforded the leader due to his status, why was it OK to put the garbage disposal there?  Sorry I didn't buy the frumpy asian chick as a badass, action hero.  Her first scene she is crying and carrying a stun gun guarding an escape pod.  The need to put in cute, cuddly characters is odd too (the little tiny, big eyed characters that Chewie was going to eat at one point but couldn't).  It feels like a series that should be aimed for 12 year olds, like Agent Cody Banks or Spy Kids, but has intense fight scenes aimed at an older adults.

Sorry, I just don't get it.  

16 hours ago, Lhorn said:

The need to put in cute, cuddly characters is odd too (the little tiny, big eyed characters that Chewie was going to eat at one point but couldn't).

Seems if I remember correctly, that had to do with a set management issue where there were hundreds of native birds to that location that were going to end up in the film and instead of CGIing them out, they covered them with some type of space bird instead.  I get what you're saying though.  The franchise has always been directed towards kids in some way though, see JCPenney / Sears catalog circa 1977

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

The franchise has always been directed towards kids in some way though, see JCPenney / Sears catalog circa 1977

I finally watched the OT last week with my 6 year-old son.  I managed to keep him spoiler free before the movies, and I had the chance to give him my 1980s Star Wars toys (landspeeder seats don’t stay in, X-Wing missing cannons, Millenium Falcon landing gear sag).

fucking awesome, he loved them.  

Then we watched Phantom Menace.  When I read the opening scrawl to him, he started asking about the taxes.   

FML.  Thankfully, Jar Jar annoyed him.  

• Like 1

They didn't decide to make it really bad.  There are tons of us that think it was a really good movie and like it.  There are tons who think it sucks.  I hate they are going out of their way to over diversify the movie to meet some sort of quota, but do not feel it affected the movie in any negative way.

It's just ridiculous to continue to say things like they tried to make a movie that was bad. Saying it sucks is defensible however.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drew said:

They didn't decide to make it really bad.  There are tons of us that think it was a really good movie and like it.  There are tons who think it sucks.  I hate they are going out of their way to over diversify the movie to meet some sort of quota, but do not feel it affected the movie in any negative way.

It's just ridiculous to continue to say things like they tried to make a movie that was bad. Saying it sucks is defensible however.

lies.......there of tons of people who don't care to watch a Star Wars movie that LOVED it........it was woke

5 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:
8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:
lies.......there of tons of people who don't care to watch a Star Wars movie that LOVED it........it was woke

Well no shit they loved it. Only hardcore fans can understand why this movie sucked.

I disagree completely.  There isn't no one on here who I'd say is a bigger fan of Star Wars than me, and I like it.  The problem is the hard core fan base is split on it.  I know just as many people who liked it that hate it.  The casual fan base isn't the ones with the issues.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

I disagree completely.  There isn't no one on here who I'd say is a bigger fan of Star Wars than me, and I like it.  The problem is the hard core fan base is split on it.  I know just as many people who liked it that hate it.  The casual fan base isn't the ones with the issues.

I'm a casual Star Wars fan. I think the series is largely overrated, and I don't give a shit about Luke's lasting legacy, what's canon, and diversity quotas. I just want to be entertained.

...I thought Last Jedi sucked donkey balls purely from a boring, horribly written, ridiculously stupid, mess of a movie perspective.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2018 at 7:39 AM, aggie08 said:

I'm a casual Star Wars fan. I think the series is largely overrated, and I don't give a shit about Luke's lasting legacy, what's canon, and diversity quotas. I just want to be entertained.

...I thought Last Jedi sucked donkey balls purely from a boring, horribly written, ridiculously stupid, mess of a movie perspective.

to say it another way, if someone hasn't seen it, what fucking part of that movie can you legitimately, honestly say "oh, you HAVE to see <thing/scene>, it's so great/amazing, it makes up for all of the terrible parts"....?

They ran out of interesting ideas for Star Wars in 1983. Everything since then has been a steaming green pile of horseshit.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

51 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

to say it another way, if someone hasn't seen it, what fucking part of that movie can you legitimately, honestly say "oh, you HAVE to see <thing/scene>, it's so great/amazing, it makes up for all of the terrible parts"....?

Eh, the throne room scene (the fight scene, not Snoke's cheesy death) and the lightspeed collision (despite creating a massive, gaping, in-explainable plot hole) was pretty bad ass.  But the fight scene in Phantom Menace sure as shit didn't save that movie, nor did those come close to saving this one.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Light speed collision would have had a lot more weight had it been Han Solo at the controls.  Would have given him a better death. 

I don't know about better but it would have been good.  Kylo killing him dgaf was pretty fucking powerful.  Scared the shit out of me as father of two sons

• 2 months later...

Rogue One has been on pretty much all of the time over the last week and it’s so goddamn good compared to anything that came out after the original 3. Can’t they just get that guy to make all of the Star Wars movies from now on?

• Like 3

They had to do massive rewrites and reshoots to Rogue One and brought in another director to finish the movie because Edwards ending was a bit of a mess. The Vader scene that makes the movie was a last minute addition at the behest of people at Lucasfilm to tie the story to ANH. Gareth Edwards isn’t saving anything.

• Like 1

Nice to see this has been gravedug. I saw TLJ once on my own recognizance and was dragged a second time. The first time I almost walked out, the second time I fell asleep. 

Rouge One was decent. I actually enjoyed Solo. AFAIC the canon ends with TFA. Disney can suck a fat, maggot-infested penis for what they've done to the franchise. 

There are four Star Wars movies:

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Rogue One

Everything else is garbage and, as far as I’m concerned, never happened.  

And if some millennial motherfucker squeals that I left off “A New Hope,” I’m going to fucking lose it.  The movie is called “Star Wars” and it doesn’t have some pathetic CGI slug begging Han Solo for money.

• Like 8