Texas opens as a 5 point underdog @ Baylor

TexasMan

From Brian Davis' article today:

No, you can’t blame Herman directly for the mistakes of an 18-to-22-year old athlete. But you can blame him and his coaching staff for not having the Horns prepared for a hard snap count.

“I noticed throughout the game that they were timing our cadence,” Iowa State snapper Steve Wirtel said after the game, according to Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register. “We gave our cadence, and in my peripheral vision at the time, I saw No. (46) jump. I snapped it at the time. He jumped offside, and I saw our guys engage with him. They were keying on our cadence throughout the game.

“When I saw that color (of uniform) break the plane, I snapped it,” Wirtel added. “I heard the ref say offside, (46) on white. The rest was history.”

Pretty good coaching, I’d say.

Wonder which team was better coached and more prepared?

Meanwhile, we have a toilet-clogging fat fucking buffoon and an Art Briles Apologist in charge of special teams.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

So I'm just going to put 2 and 2 together here and guess that Roach saying he was "was just trying to make a play for the team and block the kick" means that no coach in the team huddle before the kick said something to the effect of- "hey, if he misses, we win.  If he makes it we still have 2 minutes to get in Dicker's range to win- the worst thing you can do is jump offsides or rough the kicker.  In fact just play field goal safe and guard against the fake." 

Yeah, yeah, a senior captain should know better, but not everyone in that unit is a senior captain, so that shit needed to be said. That this all but confirms that  it wasn't said is troubling.   

Also, I'm not sure why I'm discussing this in a thread about the Baylor odds, but any place is a good place to say Fuck Herman and his JV staff. 

good thing we have Casey Horny coaching ST, right?

reminder, that this is what Perrin said about it:

Texas athletic director Mike Perrin finally addressed the hiring in a statement released today.

“The University of Texas does not tolerate sexual assault and is firmly committed to preventing it on our campus,” Perrin said. “We are working every day to continue our culture of preparing students to win with integrity in academics, in athletics and in life.

“Before approving the hiring, I spoke at length with Coach Horny and reviewed his background and his role at previous universities. Coach Horny committed to Coach Herman and me that he is in total alignment with our culture of integrity at The University of Texas.”

also this is a deleted tweet:

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This was my immediate thought too, but when was the last time that Baylor (or anybody else for that matter) showed up flat against Texas? That said, they also know that no matter what happens on Saturday they are going to get a rematch against OU as long as they beat Kansas next week. 

2015 was the last time Baylor cane out flat.  Was right after they lost a heartbreaker to TCU. We came out hot and proceeded to execute their QB.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, BradWilcox said:

I saw the same thing and first thought was these guys need to watch a football game once in awhile and clear all that backroom smoke, drinks, and drugs out of their systems. It really makes no sense but at this point in my life I'm like whatever dude.

I started betting football games a few years ago, and my takeaway is that the guys who set lines on games are psychics/wizards more often than they're non-football watching, drug addled idiots.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, BradWilcox said:

I saw the same thing and first thought was these guys need to watch a football game once in awhile and clear all that backroom smoke, drinks, and drugs out of their systems. It really makes no sense but at this point in my life I'm like whatever dude.

I started betting football games a few years ago, and my takeaway is that the guys who set lines on games are psychics/wizards more often than they're non-football watching, drug addled idiots.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Definitely.   And it seems like they’re getting even more accurate as time goes on, or maybe I’m just paying more attention.  I assume they must have some pretty amazing computer models by now that put things like Sagarin and the other public models to shame.

No doubt.

I couldn't even guess the number of times I've thought a betting line was absolutely ridiculous, only to be shouting Goddammit! as the game drew to a close.

IMO oddsmakers are keeping it close because they figured out we don’t get blown out.  We lose by 5 or less.  Better bet is refs helping Baylor.    

But, it just occurred to me, we’re overdue big time for a blowout loss....Baylor is overdue for a blowout win....

densa can’t have close games forever.  

College football fans never miss an un-called hold on one of their defenders.

They also rarely notice an un-called hold by their own OL.

Cosmi gets away with an insane amount of holding.

And I don't remember who the OL was, but on UT's scoring drive that gave them the lead (I think), either the center or LG just absolutely tackled a guy as they moved past Sam on the 2nd and 35 play.

It's infuriating how much holding goes un-called in today's college game.  But it definitely happens for both sides.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 1:58 PM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I'm afraid Baylor may blow us out.  They have the weapons to do so if we fall behind 14-0 like against K State.

On the other hand, as bad as things have been, no one's blown us out all year.  Once we get in a hole, the offense does enough to keep us within 10.

So I'll guess it's something like Baylor 34, Texas 28.

But hey, we'll still be 1-2 against teams in Texas, and .333 is good enough to win a batting title most years, right Coach?

Can't wait until I get my "no one blew us out" shirt for Christmas. 

Vegas does seem to struggle with bad Texas teams from time to time. In certain years they’ve been slow to adjust to UT’s badness. My greatest gambling moment was the 5-7 year in 2010.  OSU rolled into Austin 8-1 and were inexplicably only a 5 pt. favorite over 4-5 Texas.I still have yet to see a more glaring “free money” bet and placed the largest wager of my life. OSU won easily 33-16.

2 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

I keep thinking about how Iowa St guys told our guys they knew the plays. TH and crew know this. And then I have Watson uptempo offense flashbacks and expect us to outthink them by not adding anything different or new.
Advantage Mensa.

My 9 year old little girl correctly guessed 3 plays in a row she asked why they run the same thing all the time and that is how the other team is able to stop them 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

I’d imagine there’s room on staff for one more analyst. Can you write her a note for school or something?

No school on Saturdays.  That’s really the only day she needs.  No prep time.  I suppose you could mix some Madden in...if you want her to hold down a coordinator position.   Not the worst idea...

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

Back to your other quote on me and basically accusing me of being a TexAg I used to live in an apartment near the airport. Worked in the Barton Springs area. Lost my wife to cancer near 5 years ago and I'm not much of a poster and lost interest in most everything. I have to admit I like football (college football) and like to win and I'm not going to hide my frustration when that's not happening. If UT was winning and being competitive I wouldn't be here replying to you or anyone else if that makes sense to you. A frustrated fan doesn't always say the right things with much clarity. But no, I'm NOT an Aggy nor would I ever want to be one. Never have liked them and never have liked College Station. 

• Like 1

I've already come to terms with the double-digit Baylor loss.

The loss to Tech will break me. I may do something crazy, like date a divorcee from Mississippi or buy a broken waverunner that needs a little work.

I'll hold Tom and all of you guys responsible. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

The loss to Tech will break me. I may do something crazy, like date a divorcee from Mississippi or buy a broken waverunner that needs a little work.

Then I'll give you some advice. Only date the divorcee if she's not an RN, and make absolutely sure that she doesn't know your home or business address. Also, get a new phone number and use a burner for any calls to her,

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

My 9 year old little girl correctly guessed 3 plays in a row she asked why they run the same thing all the time and that is how the other team is able to stop them 

It pretty much goes like this:

1Q: run, run, pass, punt

2Q: pass, run, pass, punt

3Q: pass, pass, run, punt

4Q: pass, pass, pass, turnover on downs 

We’re working on a few wrinkles though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

It pretty much goes like this:

1Q: run, run, pass, punt

2Q: pass, run, pass, punt

3Q: pass, pass, run, punt

4Q: pass, pass, pass, turnover on downs 

We’re working on a few wrinkles though.

Quick kick on third down? They’ll never see it coming.

Edited by Droopy

8 hours ago, BradWilcox said:

Back to your other quote on me and basically accusing me of being a TexAg I used to live in an apartment near the airport. Worked in the Barton Springs area. Lost my wife to cancer near 5 years ago and I'm not much of a poster and lost interest in most everything. I have to admit I like football (college football) and like to win and I'm not going to hide my frustration when that's not happening. If UT was winning and being competitive I wouldn't be here replying to you or anyone else if that makes sense to you. A frustrated fan doesn't always say the right things with much clarity. But no, I'm NOT an Aggy nor would I ever want to be one. Never have liked them and never have liked College Station. 

Amarillo by Morning. Amarillo’s where I’ll be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Hang in there.  Just don’t buy a broken divorcee that needs a little work.  I’m pretty sure those are unfixable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Time to get this thread back on course.

Fuck Baylor.  Beat the ever loving rape out of those fuckers.

Yup.

Peak bitchassedness. 

Fuck Baylor. If we go after their ass and play like we have nothing to lose it's going to get fun.

eagles_brennan_isu_p1901.jpg

12 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Hey, some people call it a one night stand, but you can call it paradise.

9 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Did you guys know Charlie Brewer's dad played at Texas?!

Did you also know he wasn't offered a scholarship to Texas?

Over/under on mentions of this during the broadcast?  7?

I remember his playing but don't remember anything else about him. That was a long time ago. 

• Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, BradWilcox said:

I'll be watching your comeback attempt with great interest.