Armybrat

Spa hot tub thread?

We are thinking about a small 2 - 3 person acrylic hot tub to set on our 10’x21’ covered patio. Prefer a 110 plug in - don’t want to install a dedicated 240 line.

Where is a good place to look in the north Austin/Round Rock area? Decent brands under $3,000 with delivery & setup?

Don't.  

Get the 220/240 model.  Pay an electrician a couple hundred.  Bite the fucking bullet.

The 110 models take FOREVER to heat up.  Most folks just leave them at temp 24/7 because they heat so slow.   They really suck. 

And costco.com sells them. 

Edited by Gil Bang

There's a hot tub place on the frontage road between IHOP and la margarita. Don't know anything about it, but it might be worth checking out - even if just for info.

Gil is correct - get the higher rated amperage.
Also, recognize that you will enjoy it daily for the 1st week of ownership, then 3x the 2nd & maybe 3rd week, down to maybe 1x after a month & then 2 years later maybe 1 or 2x per month.

Do NOT get a cheap brand & skip the bells & whistles like a built in stereo.  Hot Spring is a great brand, probably the best you can get.  Depreciation is huge, so if you can get a used one, go that route provided it is 100% fully functional.
Also, it is best to rinse down (shower) before getting in as that will make your filter last a lot longer & won't monkey up your chemistry too bad.

Had a big 8’x8’ hot tub spa 35 years ago and used it often over the 10 years we were there. Nowadays it would be nice to warm up the creaky old bones.

My $.02. I bought a Tiger River Tondi ( made by Hot Springs) 2-person spa more than 20 years ago. The wife has rheumatoid arthritis and I have osteo. Ours is a 110v unit and like Gil said we run it 24/7. TBH I didn't know folks could heat that volume of water fast enough to make on demand an option. We use ours at least 3 times a week and much more often during the winter months. I have never checked to see how much juice it pulls to determine an annual cost but I don't really care. It is worth every penny for the joint relief we get. I have replaced the heater a couple of times and replaced the circ pump once, cuz I'm handy like that. Otherwise all of the other plumbing is original. The cover is the thing that we have had to replace the most.

I haven't checked the Ph in years. We did it religiously when we first got it. We drain and refill a couple of times, sometimes only once, a year using well water and a charcoal hose-end filter. We clean the filter often and add chlorine whenever we can't smell it. Our water stays crystal clear. We don't have skin issues or algae blooms or whatever the chemicals are supposed to take care of. It works for us, YMMV.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
I hate bad, punctuation.

FWIW, I got gifted a 110V a couple years ago.  

Only reason I kept it around for a year or so was the price was right.   

Not only do they take forever to heat up, but won't stay warm on extended use in cold weather.

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

We californians buy our hot tubs at home shows and county fairs.

How many Californians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Spoiler

Californians don't screw in light bulbs, they screw in hot tubs!

-my 14 year old self, reading "totally tasteless Jokes vol 1" at summer camp. guffaw!

Edited by BearSchlong

I got gifted a 110V as well about 10-12 years ago.  Like others have said, it took forever to heat up (about an hour per degree).  My model also couldn't run the jets and the heater at the same time, so if you got in on a cold night and wanted to run the jets, the temp would steadily fall.

My 110 unit won't run the jets and heater at the same time but I have never noticed a temperature drop in use. I doubt that I have ever been in for more than 30 minutes at a time, the usual stint is 15-20 minutes. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any 220v 2-person spas when we were shopping for ours. That may have changed over the years .

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

I haven't checked the Ph in years. We did it religiously when we first got it. We drain and refill a couple of times, sometimes only once, a year using well water and a charcoal hose-end filter. We clean the filter often and add chlorine whenever we can't smell it. Our water stays crystal clear. We don't have skin issues or algae blooms or whatever the chemicals are supposed to take care of. It works for us, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s about all we do to ours. It’s an outdoors 220V 7ft in ground that came with the house. I wouldn’t have thought about getting one but we love it. We still use it 2 to 4 times a week. Even in the summer we adjust the temp and hop in to cool off.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Look, it's simple, it's either 220 or 221.

Whatever it takes.

10 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

My $.02. I bought a Tiger River Tondi ( made by Hot Springs) 2-person spa more than 20 years ago.

Yes, the Tiger River was Hot Springs foray into the fiberglass shell spa end of the market.  Their acrylic spa line - the "Classic" - was a badass model.  Lasted decades, easily.  I don't know if Hot Springs still has products for servicing that model, but if you can find one that is functional & if Hot Spring can get you basic parts, I say get it.

47606.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 10:13 AM, Armybrat said:

Had a big 8’x8’ hot tub spa 35 years ago and used it often over the 10 years we were there. Nowadays it would be nice to warm up the creaky old bones.

Look at an infrared sauna instead.  Costco carries a few.