11.18.19 Coach Herman press conference (noon)

bigup2dahorns

Just now, justinjc7 said:

What the hell?  Based on what, you dumb ass?  What did you see all game that made you confident in our ability to run the ball against them?  Not to mention the stupidity of assuming 3 straight incompletions after what the offense did on the previous 2 drives after they finally abandoned the run game.  This arrogant prick has his head so far up his own ass, I've lost hope on him ever being able to pull it out.  This is not high level stuff, this is basic shit and 3 years into his stint here and 5 years into his career as a head coach and he still doesn't get it.  

It was pathetic. Him stating Sam is our best downhill runner is even more damning for not spreading them out with 10 personnel and giving Sam some RPO's after the way he executed vs. KState.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sounds like a defeated coach with no answers on how to turn things around 

Will be a massive coordinator house cleaning at the end of the season.  That writing is on the wall and will happen.  It's going to be Herman's only option to buy another year (+ probably) under the guise of new ideas, faces, blah, blah, blah to help turn things around.    No way in hell the fanbase or administration will settle for the status quo in '20 after a 5-loss season. 

I thought Herman was somewhat of an offensive savant when he came here.   He's unique, don't get me wrong, but in the wrong respect. He's starting to patent the concept of running a prevent offense. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The most depressing thing is that literally ONE WEEK AGO, we executed a masterful 13 play, nearly 7 minute drive to end the game.

That drive contained 4 completed passes totaling 55 yards, including a first play pass for 14 that put the defense on its heels.  

It also contained ZERO incomplete passes.

This exact same team just showed that they are capable of executing a drive like this, and the Head Coach still chooses to turtle when he has the game on the line.  Disgraceful.

Not to mention the two previous drives in the same game that got us the lead

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That is so bad.

When was the last ten year stretch where that happened?

Just checked. Texas has never before gone 10 straight years with 4 or more loses. The previous long streak was 6 years (1984-1989). So Texas football is still mired in the single worst period in the history of the program.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This is what I see.

Anyone who has watched these PCs is seeing a different Hernan today. Milder, less sarcasm, doing what he can to answer questions with sincerity while keeping it vanilla.

I don’t know if CDC has talked with him or if he’s just beat down at this point. But this was a bit different.

I think we finally got what we have been wanting. A press that asked questions we have wanted answered. No bubble gum questions today. We also got a coach that knows that "Screw the Fanbase" answers have gotten other coaches fired at Texas in the past. So he tried to answer without giving much away.

The issue is that one of his answers tell us that the offensive staff in the room always overestimates what they can do to a defense. Also, they only look at what the defense does between the 20's. No wonder we have struggled in the red zone. How can this not be obvious to him!!!!!

He probably does the same on defense. They think the other team is going to stick to the plan and make no adjustments. Example TCU, we thought they would run more, even though we have the worst pass defense in the country.

Maybe he thinks that opponents are going to stick to the plan just like he does and make no specific adjustments for Texas. Maybe what was revealed is that Tom sticks to the plan until it does not work and trust that he can make in game adjustments. Maybe that explains the slow starts.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think we finally got what we have been wanting. A press that asked questions we have wanted answered. No bubble gum questions today. We also got a coach that knows that "Screw the Fanbase" answers have gotten other coaches fired at Texas in the past. So he tried to answer without giving much away.

The issue is that one of his answers tell us that the offensive staff in the room always overestimates what they can do to a defense. Also, they only look at what the defense does between the 20's. No wonder we have struggled in the red zone. How can this not be obvious to him!!!!!

He probably does the same on defense. They think the other team is going to stick to the plan and make no adjustments. Example TCU, we thought they would run more, even though we have the worst pass defense in the country.

Maybe he thinks that opponents are going to stick to the plan just like he does and make no specific adjustments for Texas. Maybe what was revealed is that Tom sticks to the plan until it does not work and trust that he can make in game adjustments. Maybe that explains the slow starts.

Remember, they play against each other in practice. It's easy to see why they overestimate what they can accomplish. 

19 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Will be a massive coordinator house cleaning at the end of the season.  That writing is on the wall and will happen.  It's going to be Herman's only option to buy another year (+ probably) under the guise of new ideas, faces, blah, blah, blah to help turn things around.    No way in hell the fanbase or administration will settle for the status quo in '20 after a 5-loss season. 

I thought Herman was somewhat of an offensive savant when he came here.   He's unique, don't get me wrong, but in the wrong respect. He's starting to patent the concept of running a prevent offense. 

I don't see him replacing both coordinators - that is rare and in doing so Herman would be admitting a huge failure. Also, coordinator changes won't fix his horrendous game management and garbage special teams.

Just a dude that's been smacked, hard, in the face with the reality that the smartest man in the room is actually clueless in many respects.  I'm sure Herman's head is just spinning right now - trying to figure out how this doesn't free fall into a 7-loss season while also focusing in on who and how many of his coaches he's going to have to ax.   Hopefully, the latter isn't too difficult for him. 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

I don't see him replacing both coordinators - that is rare and in doing so Herman would be admitting a huge failure. 

15 or 16 losses over three seasons at Texas doesn't work, at all.  So it has been a failure. If Herman has trouble admitting to that then we truly are fucked because it just points to the root problem with him overall and more proof that an unbridled ego won't allow Herman to do what's right for the program.  

5 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Just checked. Texas has never before gone 10 straight years with 4 or more loses. The previous long streak was 6 years (1984-1989). So Texas football is still mired in the single worst period in the history of the program.

The period of 1984 to 1994 feels much like this last 10 years. We did get part of 1990 as a short respite but then got destroyed by Miami and it made things worse since we realized we were no where near an MNC when we saw that other talent on the field. The recruiting was bad and the SWC was dying. Man it was bad and to think we are back here again.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

The period of 1984 to 1994 feels much like this last 10 years. We did get part of 1990 as a short respite but then got destroyed by Miami and it made things worse since we realized we were no where near an MNC when we saw that other talent on the field. The recruiting was bad and the SWC was dying. Man it was bad and to think we are back here again.

Only difference is, for the most part we’ve been signing those top 10 ranked recruiting classes during this decade long slump. So our biggest failures have either been through evaluating players or player development or both 

That was a man with no confidence and no good answers.

Can’t get over the frustration of going away from plays that work and continuing to run crap that doesn’t. I remember few if any RPO’s with quick throws over the middle that has worked in several other games but I sure as hell can recall wide receiver screens resulting in loss of yardage multiple times that hasn’t worked since La Tech. Should’ve run that flea flicker that we used against K state on that last drive. Receivers would’ve been wide open the way they were keying on the run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Will be a massive coordinator house cleaning at the end of the season.  That writing is on the wall and will happen.  It's going to be Herman's only option to buy another year (+ probably) under the guise of new ideas, faces, blah, blah, blah to help turn things around.   

on the defensive side if there is a coordinator change it will almost 100% lead to an overall shift in position coaches UNLESS the new guy is coaching LBs + DC. nobody else on staff they can plug in to coach LBs and the pre existing offensive-heavy coaching and analyst staff)

Despite 1990 that era seemed so much worse. Maybe because aggy, but truth don't lie. Hopefully this is as bad as it ever gets.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Davis AAS asks again about conservative game plan at the end of the game

A: if we threw 3 incomplete passes I would be answering a lot tougher questions right now. At that point in the game, time is a huge factor and we were playing good D. We felt confident to be able to run the ball successfully at the end of the game.

I didn't get to watch but as others have mentioned this is the answer that is really concerning.  Either he actually believes this (which is the most concerning) or he thinks our fan base is stupid enough that he can get away with this bullshit answer.   

Because if we throw 3 straight incomplete passes and lose, every single person with a brain would be defending the strategy.   Because we haven't run the ball all fucking game and there is WAY too much time left (and 3 Iowa St. TO's) to gain an advantage by running clock for the sake of running clock.  Burning 1 min of clock and 1 TO did not improve win probability odds in any meaningful way whatsoever compared to 30 secs of clock and no TO's if we throw 3 incomplete passes.   What would have improved our win probability is a couple of first downs through the air burning TO's and requiring the defense to play you straight up and THEN trying to mix in a run.   It was so damn obvious in real time.   And like was posted above, it's exactly how we started the long ass drive that won the game last week.   Just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Tom also give the extreme opposite response to prove his point “oh okkkkk well maybe if I passed three straight times everyone would go nuts”..

no but when you run 2 basic vanilla plays then the one pass you do run is a screen it shows you were a pussy! Maybe run a slant on first down with tempo into a run play then decide what to do if it’s 3rd and short. Point is you run your offense as normal with that much time left and attempt to move the chains in case you do punt you are at the least near mid field and can pin them deep. 

His response reminds me of a female over reacting to a discussion so they give some extreme example to fit their narrative. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Tom also give the extreme opposite response to prove his point “oh okkkkk well maybe if I passed three straight times everyone would go nuts”..

no but when you run 2 basic vanilla plays then the one pass you do run is a screen it shows you were a pussy! Maybe run a slant on first down with tempo into a run play then decide what to do if it’s 3rd and short. Point is you run your offense as normal with that much time left and attempt to move the chains in case you do punt you are at the least near mid field and can pin them deep. 

His response reminds me of a female over reacting to a discussion so they give some extreme example to fit their narrative. 

I particularly like that the only choices were "run two giveup plays and a doomed screen" or "run three straight pass plays."  We apparently have 2-page playbook (including pictures), yet according to Herman our players can't execute.

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Tom also give the extreme opposite response to prove his point “oh okkkkk well maybe if I passed three straight times everyone would go nuts”.....

giphy.gif