11.18.19 Coach Herman press conference (noon)

bigup2dahorns

At work so can't post anything from Twitter but my Dad just texted me this tweet from Bob Ballou

"For the 5th time in 7 Big 12 games Texas does not score a touchdown in the first quarter. On Monday, I relayed the stat (4 in 6 games at the time) and asked Tom Herman why they were getting off to slow starts.

Herman: 'I didn't even realize.  It's not something we talked about'"

What the actual fuck?  You didn't realize that shit?  You are the head coach of The University of Texas football program, you get paid millions and millions of dollars to know basic ass shit like that.  We all realized it, how the hell did our own head coach not realize that?  The gulf between the arrogant know-it-all perception that he tries to give off and the actual reality is incredible really.  The guy is a complete baffoon.  He's no better than Charlie.  I held on to the Herman train longer than most but to hell with this dude now.  He ain't the guy and never will be, he is completely incompetent in every way.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

“Coach, why are your players so undisciplined? Is it because you’re such an asshole that they have zero respect for you, and don’t want to do the little things that are necessary to be a well coached team?”

Trey and BK said after the PC that the locker room apparently got word of the "never out coached" comment from Saturday and it didn't go over well.  Transfer portal ----> Activate!

I still can't get over one of the early pressers where Tom was asked why he didn't put Jake Smith and Devin Duvernay on the field at the same time, and he responded with "why would I do that?"  Maybe to win games and keep your job asshole.

How embarrassing will it be to lose to SMU in the Liberty Bowl?  Is that a cause for contract termination?

• Like 1

Trey and BK also said that players were telling reporters privately that Iowa St players were laughing and saying, "We know your play" as  both sides lined up.

It's been obvious to me that the entire Big 12 has shared the "Tip and Tell" sheet for Herman's formations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

At work so can't post anything from Twitter but my Dad just texted me this tweet from Bob Ballou

"For the 5th time in 7 Big 12 games Texas does not score a touchdown in the first quarter. On Monday, I relayed the stat (4 in 6 games at the time) and asked Tom Herman why they were getting off to slow starts.

Herman: 'I didn't even realize.  It's not something we talked about'"

What the actual fuck?  You didn't realize that shit?  You are the head coach of The University of Texas football program, you get paid millions and millions of dollars to know basic ass shit like that.  We all realized it, how the hell did our own head coach not realize that?  The gulf between the arrogant know-it-all perception that he tries to give off and the actual reality is incredible really.  The guy is a complete baffoon.  He's no better than Charlie.  I held on to the Herman train longer than most but to hell with this dude now.  He ain't the guy and never will be, he is completely incompetent in every way.  

Hey man, people didn't like the MBTF stat diarrhea press conferences, make up your mind

41 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I particularly like that the only choices were "run two giveup plays and a doomed screen" or "run three straight pass plays."  We apparently have 2-page playbook (including pictures), yet according to Herman our players can't execute.

What's mind bottling is that he doesn't get the fact that it really doesn't matter whether you give the ball back with 2 or 3 minutes left when all they need is a FG to win. You absolutely run your regular offense to score a TD to put the game away at that point in time. If they had failed to get a first down while running the offense that was working, then so be it. Running out an additional minute with 2 straight run plays when everyone knew it was coming would not have made a difference. 

• Like 1

This is what I see.
Anyone who has watched these PCs is seeing a different Hernan today. Milder, less sarcasm, doing what he can to answer questions with sincerity while keeping it vanilla.
I don’t know if CDC has talked with him or if he’s just beat down at this point. But this was a bit different.

Maybe it’s the look of a defeated man who has realized that he never has and never will achieve the success he always felt would happen, given his supreme but ultimately misplaced self confidence. His life is over as he knows it.
  • Like 1

Trey and BK also said that players were telling reporters privately that Iowa St players were laughing and saying, "We know your play" as  both sides lined up.
It's been obvious to me that the entire Big 12 has shared the "Tip and Tell" sheet for Herman's formations.

This if true is infuriating beyond belief. It means we have a staff that does not know what it’s doing.

It's obvious that other teams know our tendencies well.  I've posted about this a few times on other threads, and Anwar from OB asked someone on the staff about it.  They basically laughed him off and said Herman's offense doesn't need to worry about tipping plays because we can impose our will.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The most depressing thing is that literally ONE WEEK AGO, we executed a masterful 13 play, nearly 7 minute drive to end the game.

That drive contained 4 completed passes totaling 55 yards, including a first play pass for 14 that put the defense on its heels.  

It also contained ZERO incomplete passes.

This exact same team just showed that they are capable of executing a drive like this, and the Head Coach still chooses to turtle when he has the game on the line.  Disgraceful.

he out mensa'd himself

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's obvious that other teams know our tendencies well.  I've posted about this a few times on other threads, and Anwar from OB asked someone on the staff about it.  They basically laughed him off and said Herman's offense doesn't need to worry about tipping plays because we can impose our will.  

Except we can't impose shit, and that's the fucking issue. In a perfect world a program like Texas should theoretically be able to line up, say, "we are running the ball straight at you, and you can't stop it," and crush the will of the defense. Texas hasn't been able to do that in well over a decade. 

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Texas Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Sam Ehlinger 12 27 2.3 0 10
Roschon Johnson 6 18 3.0 0 5
Keaontay Ingram 8 9 1.1 0 7
TEAM 26 54 2.1 0 10

4 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Except we can't impose shit, and that's the fucking issue. In a perfect world a program like Texas should theoretically be able to line up, say, "we are running the ball straight at you, and you can't stop it," and crush the will of the defense. Texas hasn't been able to do that in well over a decade. 

Very true! That's what OU did against Baylor and despite having a defense of mostly seniors and a few juniors they couldn't stop it.

59 minutes ago, Cajun said:

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This if true is infuriating beyond belief. It means we have a staff that does not know what it’s doing.

It’s obvious the other teams know our plays, but Herman will NEVER admit or acknowledge it. In fact, he probably thinks they are doing a great job by almost winning the game. 

People like this are the worst. They can’t handle any criticism because they think they know everything. If you aren’t kissing Tom’s ass, he perceives everything you say to him as a slight. You don’t get better at what you’re doing with this kind of attitude.

• Like 1

I didn't watch. And so much of what gets posted here sounds like made up stuff trying to get a laugh.

But did he really throw Duvernay under the bus? And blame the OL for bad execution on the first down run play?

If that's true, that's piss-poor leadership and a great way to lose the locker room. I wouldn't want my 5-Star athlete to play for a coach like that. 

3 minutes ago, BornOrange1955 said:

I didn't watch. And so much of what gets posted here sounds like made up stuff trying to get a laugh.

But did he really throw Duvernay under the bus? And blame the OL for bad execution on the first down run play?

If that's true, that's piss-poor leadership and a great way to lose the locker room. I wouldn't want my 5-Star athlete to play for a coach like that. 

I didn't hear the part where he threw Duvernay under the bus, but did hear him completely shred the Biletnikoff Award committee for not having DD even as a candidate.

To be fair.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I didn't hear the part where he threw Duvernay under the bus, but did hear him completely shred the Biletnikoff Award committee for not having DD even as a candidate.

To be fair.

Great point.  Herman was rightfully frustrated that DD was not included as semi-finalist for the award... DD was included as a candidate.

4 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Perfect encapsulation of our offense on Saturday.

Throwing the ball behind the LOS on an absolute must-make 3rd down and 10. Three offensive linemen blocking nobody. QB under pressure during the throw.

Even if Dev hadn’t “dropped the ball” (according to Herman) 34 and 35 would have combined for easy tackle after a 3 yard gain.

you must not understand that the play is designed for Duvernay to break 2 tackles at some point a player needs to make a play.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:
Texas Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Sam Ehlinger 12 27 2.3 0 10
Roschon Johnson 6 18 3.0 0 5
Keaontay Ingram 8 9 1.1 0 7
TEAM 26 54 2.1 0 10

Yes, I know we can't impose our will.  Our coaches don't unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

During the OU game it was painfully evident that the OU defenders knew where the play was going before the snap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, I was thinking as I was watching the 1st quarter that it looked just like old school Tecmo Bowl defense, and Iowa State knew every play. 

This morning Bucky said that he rewatched and picked up all of the "tell keys" that signaled plays.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

To be fair, ~2/3 isn't a serious tip off, and that's exactly what was said.

40 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

spacer.png

Didn't even see this before I posted my Tecmo Bowl comment.  For the youngsters, in this fantastically awesome game, if you are on defense and correctly pick the offenses play, there is a mob scene as soon as the play starts and all 11 defensive players dogpile the ball carrier.

Just like Iowa State did all day Saturday.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jinx said:

Yeah, I was thinking as I was watching the 1st quarter that it looked just like old school Tecmo Bowl defense, and Iowa State knew every play. 

This morning Bucky said that he rewatched and picked up all of the "tell keys" that signaled plays.  

Maybe Bucky can share with Herman the "tell keys" Bucky observed that signaled the Horns plays...

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, torre said:

This answer may provide bulletin board material for Baylor.    Should have included props to the Baylor coaches and players.

Disappointed the offsides penalty was not addressed by media.

everyone is bitching about Herman blaming players and you want the offsides brought up? Roach fucked up, everyone knows.

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Only difference is, for the most part we’ve been signing those top 10 ranked recruiting classes during this decade long slump. So our biggest failures have either been through evaluating players or player development or both 

can we get a top ten ranking for olineman? That would be nice.

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

I typically don't get annoyed by "coach speak" as much as others do, but the whole "go 1-0 against (insert team name)" is beyond annoying and stupid.

almost every coach uses this Parcells-ism. Even the great Matt Rhule uses it.  yes it is annoying but its not just Herman.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

I didn't get to watch but as others have mentioned this is the answer that is really concerning.  Either he actually believes this (which is the most concerning) or he thinks our fan base is stupid enough that he can get away with this bullshit answer.   

Because if we throw 3 straight incomplete passes and lose, every single person with a brain would be defending the strategy.   Because we haven't run the ball all fucking game and there is WAY too much time left (and 3 Iowa St. TO's) to gain an advantage by running clock for the sake of running clock.  Burning 1 min of clock and 1 TO did not improve win probability odds in any meaningful way whatsoever compared to 30 secs of clock and no TO's if we throw 3 incomplete passes.   What would have improved our win probability is a couple of first downs through the air burning TO's and requiring the defense to play you straight up and THEN trying to mix in a run.   It was so damn obvious in real time.   And like was posted above, it's exactly how we started the long ass drive that won the game last week.   Just ridiculous. 

no matter what we ran if it didn't work this place would be melting down because we didn't run something else, it's what we do and we all know it.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Remember when last week Herman didn't know who we played after k-state?  But in the ISU post-game, he starts talking about beating the two Texas teams left on our schedule.  I guess he remembered.  

now I agree that this is an example of dumb shit herman shouldn't say.  all he has to say is I know who we've played and haven't played but I'm only worried about team X right now.

2 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Very true! That's what OU did against Baylor and despite having a defense of mostly seniors and a few juniors they couldn't stop it.

they have NFL draft picks across their oline every fucking year, we never do. Why is that? Why can't we recruit oline worth a shit?

22 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

everyone is bitching about Herman blaming players and you want the offsides brought up? Roach fucked up, everyone knows.

The question isn't who fuckex up on the field.  The question is why it happened, and the answer is almost certainly that the coaches failed in their job of ensuring situational awareness of Roach and the others.

The worst thing we could have happen there is what did, and the coaches should have made sure they know that.

Edited by nunna yo bizness

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

The question isn't who fuckex up on the field.  The question is why it happened, and the answer is almost certainly that the coaches failed in their job of ensuring situational awareness of Roach and the others.

he's a senior captain, he knew he couldn't jump and he did, players fuck up.