11.18.19 Coach Herman press conference (noon)

bigup2dahorns

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Only difference is, for the most part we’ve been signing those top 10 ranked recruiting classes during this decade long slump. So our biggest failures have either been through evaluating players or player development or both 

Mack fell off in his later years.  2015 was a good class, 2016 was a better class.  

2017 was a disaster (minus Sam and Cosmi) and definitely factored into Strong being let go.  And that class in Texas overall has a ton of potential NFL talent: Dobbins, Reagor, T. Wallace, Lamb, Walker Little, Marvin Wilson, Chaisson, Browning, Okudah, Adebo.  

2017 is in it's third year.  We are feeling the pain of it right now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Mack fell off in his later years.  2015 was a good class, 2016 was a better class.  

2017 was a disaster (minus Sam and Cosmi) and definitely factored into Strong being let go.  And that class in Texas overall has a ton of potential NFL talent: Dobbins, Reagor, T. Wallace, Lamb, Walker Little, Marvin Wilson, Chaisson, Browning, Okudah, Adebo.  

So...two more years?

42 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

he's a senior captain, he knew he couldn't jump and he did, players fuck up. 

So your assumption is that the coaches made clear to not jump and he did? That might have happened, but the evidence to date would seem to support that they neglected to make that clear. When I’m doubt, I tend to blame coaches that have proven they aren’t good.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So your assumption is that the coaches made clear to not jump and he did? That might have happened, but the evidence to date would seem to support that they neglected to make that clear. When I’m doubt, I tend to blame coaches that have proven they aren’t good.

I wish Tom Landry would have told Jackie Smith not to drop that TD pass.

Jesus titty fucking Christ. If you’re starting at Texas and the coach has to tell you not to jump offsides in that situation then you have a serious problem
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

he's a senior captain, he knew he couldn't jump and he did, players fuck up. 

Coaches are paid to make sure players know the situations and what they can and cannot do in crucial circumstances, not just assume that it's all good because he's got experience.  And even if he does know you still coach that message to everyone right then and there for the young guys.

• Like 1

Just now, nunna yo bizness said:

Coaches are paid to make sure players know the situations and what they can and cannot do in crucial circumstances, not just assume that it's all good because he's got experience.  And even if he does know you still coach that message to everyone right then and there for the young guys.

has it been reported that they didn't?

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

I wish Tom Landry would have told Jackie Smith not to drop that TD pass.

You're comparing physical mistakes to mental mistakes.  Its apples to oranges.  You can't prevent physical mistakes but you can mental.  That is, ssuming the coaches know, and aren't too idiotic not to relay it.

Telling a player not to jump offsides on a 4th and 5, 42-yd FG attempt might sound asinine. As in, no shit, don't jump offsides, who has to be told that? But it's no different than a basketball coach telling his team DO NOT CONTEST THE JUMPER on an inbounds play with a four-point lead and three seconds left. 

I would like to think our coaches told the players and Roach is just so dumb he couldn't help it.

But I don't really trust our coaches.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Remember when last week Herman didn't know who we played after k-state?  But in the ISU post-game, he starts talking about beating the two Texas teams left on our schedule.  I guess he remembered.  

When I heard this I thought it was such a dumbfuck comment. Either he’s lying and thinks we’re stupid or he’s telling the truth and HE really is that stupid to not know who is next up on the schedule.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

Trey and BK also said that players were telling reporters privately that Iowa St players were laughing and saying, "We know your play" as  both sides lined up.

It's been obvious to me that the entire Big 12 has shared the "Tip and Tell" sheet for Herman's formations.

lulz

Not surprised.

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Has it been reported they did? I’m curious why you’re willing to give this staff, in general, and whoever the fuck coaches special teams, specifically, the benefit of the doubt here.

If only a coach would have told Dee Ford not to line up offsides.

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

If only a coach would have told Dee Ford not to line up offsides.

You asked if it had been reported that they didn’t make clear to the players to not jump on a hard count. I assumed you asked that because you felt that it was relevant to the conversation, but alas, here we are posting videos from YouTube.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Jesus titty fucking Christ. If you’re starting at Texas and the coach has to tell you not to jump offsides in that situation then you have a serious problem

You’re really crediting your average football player in the moment with a lot more situational awareness and self control than you should.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

2016 was a good class on NSD. Then it was hit by a bunch of attrition due to late desperation commits by Chuck.  Then it was hit by attrition again due to Chuck being so bad he had to be fired after year three. After all the dust settled, the 2016 class wasn’t very good.  We’re feeling the effects of 2 classes that were probably about 25th based on guys who actually stayed around comprising basically all of our upperclassmen. 

The sad part is, even still, we have a better roster than most teams on our schedule, if we could just not get our-coached we’d be 8-2.

What you might reasonably expect on that FGA, after a time-out is a huddle like this:

Ok guys, relax.  We do not need to block this kick.  Just. Let. Him. Kick. Odds are good he'll miss and even if not, we get the ball back with plenty of time to score.

The only way you can fuck this up is to jump or rough the kicker.  So, calm down, and don't do those things.

But no one is minding the special teams store, so that didn't happen.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Telling a player not to jump offsides on a 4th and 5, 42-yd FG attempt might sound asinine. As in, no shit, don't jump offsides, who has to be told that? But it's no different than a basketball coach telling his team DO NOT CONTEST THE JUMPER on an inbounds play with a four-point lead and three seconds left. 

I would like to think our coaches told the players and Roach is just so dumb he couldn't help it.

But I don't really trust our coaches.

Good coaches remind players of what not to do at critical moments. Players run high on adrenaline, so they can forget the simple things. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

9-1 and 6-4 are eerily similar.  It's just that one of them has a genius head coach.

The glaring dissimilarity is that the 3* players on BUFu are not getting deprogrammed of fundamentals and apparently have real coaches and shit, but outside of that and their W/L disparity yes they are similar in that they both are allegedly football teams in the Rig 12 Football Conference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The ones I played for would remind us of this very thing whenever a penalty would gift the offense a fresh set of downs. Didn’t make a big deal about it, but we were always reminded.

There is a lot of shit going on in those situations. Guys are tired, they are sore and can easily get caught up in the moment and forget even the simplest of things. It was SOP to communicate the situation between players and coaches. Shit man that level of coaching is expected in junior high.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I don't see him replacing both coordinators - that is rare and in doing so Herman would be admitting a huge failure. Also, coordinator changes won't fix his horrendous game management and garbage special teams.

Why would he? He already is doubling down on how he had to control run game in order to win. He doesn’t seem like the guy who will choke on his pride and change, but rather flame on and ram the icebergs at full speed. He will walk away in a year or two ( unless CDC has felony level video on him), with tens of millions in walking around money. He can’t/won’t change anything significant.

6 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

At work so can't post anything from Twitter but my Dad just texted me this tweet from Bob Ballou

"For the 5th time in 7 Big 12 games Texas does not score a touchdown in the first quarter. On Monday, I relayed the stat (4 in 6 games at the time) and asked Tom Herman why they were getting off to slow starts.

Herman: 'I didn't even realize.  It's not something we talked about'"

What the actual fuck?  You didn't realize that shit?  You are the head coach of The University of Texas football program, you get paid millions and millions of dollars to know basic ass shit like that.  We all realized it, how the hell did our own head coach not realize that?  The gulf between the arrogant know-it-all perception that he tries to give off and the actual reality is incredible really.  The guy is a complete baffoon.  He's no better than Charlie.  I held on to the Herman train longer than most but to hell with this dude now.  He ain't the guy and never will be, he is completely incompetent in every way.  

Herman is: Coach Faux

Finally got around to listening to the whole PC. I wish the question about offensive gameplanning would've gone one step further and talked about the playcalling process in games. I'm sure it's been discussed already but there's an issue with having "too many cooks in the kitchen" so to speak with regards to the offense. That doesn't excuse the playcalling tendencies and tipping plays, but definitely an issue. I'm stating the obvious at this point but we need an OC dedicated to playcalling in games, not this playcalling by committee bullshit

He could lose as many as 16 games (I'll assume he wins one of the next 3 between now and New Year's Eve) in just 3 seasons at Texas.  

Only Bible did (and he redeemed himself) and Strong did that poorly on these 40 acres.  

Way to go Tom.  And none of 'em achieved your level of mediocrity for $6.0mm+ a year.  Well done, fuckface.  

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

almost every coach uses this Parcells-ism. Even the great Matt Rhule uses it.  yes it is annoying but its not just Herman.

I've heard lots of coaches use that expression over the years. Ryan Day is the first Ohio State coach I've heard use it. The players echo it. It's just another way of saying you're taking the season one game at a time. That's a good thing if you can achieve it. It's easier said than done. 

Great respect to the poster who said something to the effect of “we are gonna regret that game winning kick against Kansas”.  Next year is now Toms last year.   Because Tom is stubborn about his coordinators, the only thing that changes this forecast is a Freedom bowl massacre style defeat in a bowl game.  To steal something from Yogi, I think a college football teams success is about 90 percent physical preparation and the other half is mental.  And what impacts both kinds of preparation more than any other is coaching.  The record in the final three games is meaningless.  A half empty stadium against tech should get everyone’s attention.  

52 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

It’s the first presser I’ve seen where he does appear to know his bullshit isn’t working as well as he had planned. The hope is he feels the heat and does some serious reflecting in these last few games and in the off season we see big changes.

That big change better be him getting fired. I thought he was the wrong guy from day 1. I bought in last year because that sugar bowl win was a statement. What most of us didn’t realize was that statement was “Even the sun will shine on a dogs ass.”

It doesn't really matter to me who is blamed for the offsides. These players shouldn't make those kinds of mistakes, but they're still kids (18-22 year olds make mistakes all the time.)

The more glaring issues are the coaching errors. Leaving points on the field vs LSU and now Iowa State were killers. I'm all for big balls, and going for it, and all that macho crap in theory. But I'm a fan, not a head coach. Winning games usually comes down to doing the little things right, and making conservative decisions that ensure points.

Herman leans toward being macho, thinking like a fan. These are not not intelligent decisions for a head coach. Hopefully, the guy will learn from his mistakes. But because he's so unlikeable, I won't mind watching him fail. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Great respect to the poster who said something to the effect of “we are gonna regret that game winning kick against Kansas”.  Next year is now Toms last year.   Because Tom is stubborn about his coordinators, the only thing that changes this forecast is a Freedom bowl massacre style defeat in a bowl game.  To steal something from Yogi, I think a college football teams success is about 90 percent physical preparation and the other half is mental.  And what impacts both kinds of preparation more than any other is coaching.  The record in the final three games is meaningless.  A half empty stadium against tech should get everyone’s attention.  

I'll be SHOCKED at this point if there isn't a massive overhaul in the coaching staff regardless of how the season plays out.  By reading the message board CDC's inbox has blown up from just your average fans.  Can you imagine the calls he's getting from those that have written the big checks to fiance the stadium?   Herman isn't going to have a choice.

here's to hoping the BMD's and CDC get herman back in alignment that he doesn't coach at Houston anymore.  what a dumbass to bring in shitty assistants  to Texas that would need to take as an assistant job at Houston.  And shame on us for allowing this mensa to hire assistants from Houston.  Its the first or second question you ask in your interview...if there was an interview.  we aren't close to a cesspool(insert Herbie is a douche) but we are absolutely top of the clusterfuck scale.

• Like 1

Herman is starting to feel a lot like a guy who is a representation of what stupid people think smart people sound and act like. And one of the stupid people that thinks he sounds smart when he says dumb shit like "I don't know who we play next week" might just be Tom Herman himself.

Edited by BradInATX

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That big change better be him getting fired. I thought he was the wrong guy from day 1. I bought in last year because that sugar bowl win was a statement. What most of us didn’t realize was that statement was “Even the sun will shine on a dogs ass.

3 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

It doesn't really matter to me who is blamed for the offsides. These players shouldn't make those kinds of mistakes, but they're still kids (18-22 year olds make mistakes all the time.)

It's a discipline issue.  Stupid penalties were a hallmark of Charlie's teams too.  Things like discipline and attention to detail got thrown around a lot when talking about Tom upon his hire.  Aka, a plate of shit being sold to us as a chocolate pie. 

5 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

We needed one coach, ONE, to say "watch out for a hard count and don't jump offsides".

That is Scipio's point, we do not have a "ONE" coach that leads the ST unit or the offense. "group decisions" are great when looking to avoid accountability but not great when folks are seeking leadership.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:32 PM, TexArcher said:

This motherfucker just said Baylor's season has been eerily similar to ours.  They just win the close games.

But you'll never say you've been outcoached...

Dickhead.

Herman’s comment is bullshit and Rhule is coaching circles around him, but Baylor’s record is inflated by being 5-1 in one score games and them not playing a single decent OOC team.

Their performance has been more like an 8-2 or 7-3 team and if they played an OOC opponent like LSU, they’d be 6-4 or 7-3. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman’s comment is bullshit and Rhule is coaching circles around him, but Baylor’s record is inflated by being 5-1 in one score games and them not playing a single decent OOC team.

Their performance has been more like an 8-2 or 7-3 team and if they played an OOC opponent like LSU, they’d be 6-4 or 7-3. 

I mean, that's all true, but then our record is inflated by last second FG wins over KU and KSU.  And the fact they're consistently winning one score games and we're not points to our seasons not being "eerily similar" and to them being better coached than we are.

That's a dig at Tom, not at you.  And I agree that Baylor's played slightly over their heads.  They look to me like a 9-3 team that might go 11-1.  But we look like a 7-5 team that's gonna go 7-5.